Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who got Gloria Vanderbilt's money?

Anderson Cooper has always been so vocal about not believing in inheriting. I wonder if he feels that way now that he has those kids.

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2023 8:21 PM

Didn't she die with very little money because a business manager or husband swindled her? Cooper got her apartment, I think, and possessions.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2023 2:42 AM

Of course Anderson got the money. He can say he didn't all he wants. He's lying.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2023 3:17 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2023 3:38 AM

$1.5 is nothing in NYC, darling

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 12:41 PM

Anderson Cooper is an elitist asshole and you're a fool if you think he didn't inherit substantial assets.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2023 1:33 PM

A little off subject but after watching a replay of Anderson's interview with Prince Harry last night on 60 Minutes, he is a terrible celebrity interviewer. He did nothing but suck up and throw softballs with no follow-up questions at all.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2023 1:55 PM

I don't think her last apartment was very big, R5, and I doubt it was worth a lot of money --- maybe a couple of million but not tens of millions like apartments in the prestige buildings on Park and Fifth.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2023 2:01 PM

No one swindled her- she went through her trust decades ago and I believe at least a couple bankruptcies with her companies. She was essentially supported by her son at the end of her life. She was a talented woman although she clearly was not good at running her own financial affairs.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 2:33 PM

Gloria was great at spending, just like her mother Gloria Morgan before her. She wasn’t quite as thrifty as gal pals Oona O’Neill and Carol Saroyan in the money department.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2023 3:22 PM

I saw a doco on the Vanderbilts. A huge amount of the original fortune was lost back in the 1890s/1900-10s, by the spending habits of the Vanderbilt-by-marriage on whom the Carrie Coon part in The Gilded Age was based. In the show, that character appears to be married to the original robber-baron, Cornelius, who was a deft businessman, but in life she was second-generation; the fortune had been divided among Cornelius's adult children after the first of the nasty Vanderbilt court cases, and her husband wasn't great at business.

Gloria inherited and went through a lot of money, but nowhere near The Vanderbilt Fortune as it looked at the end of the 1800s.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2023 3:40 PM

Carrie Coon. What a name.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2023 6:06 PM

Gloria's pets got all her money.

by Anonymousreply 12June 7, 2023 8:00 PM

Yes, I've read that most of the wealthy, socially prominent families in New York would cut back spending in times of recession during the Gilded Age but certain members of the Vanderbilt family continued to spend lavishly.

by Anonymousreply 13June 7, 2023 8:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!