Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about Hydrox cookies

Oreo famously plagiarized these cookies, and they are not easy to find. I've never seen them on a store shelf in my life. Amazon does sell them, which I was surprised to see. How they compare to Oreos?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2023 4:50 AM

I always thought they were a knock-off of Oreos. Didn't realize they came before Oreos.

Anyway, I do remember seeing them at the store.

I think "Hydrox" was a bad name. It sounded like something medicinal or chemical rather than a delicious cookie.

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2023 2:29 AM

One of the first gay people I met online in an mIRC chat room called himself Hydrox because he is half black and half white.

That was a notable thing back in 1996!

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2023 2:32 AM

Hydrox were so much better than the vapid-tasting Oreos.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2023 2:35 AM

I remember them from when I was a kid. I know I didn't like them: too little cream and the cookies tasted flat and were hard as hell, like you'd chip your teeth on them. If Oreo knocked them off, they improved upon a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 2:36 AM

Trader Joe's made their own version: Joe-Joe's [sic].

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2023 2:38 AM

Oreo filling tastes waxy. Hyrox were way better.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2023 2:38 AM

I agree, R4. Hydrox vs Oreo were kind of like if someone had made NECCO wafer knockoffs that have flavor and are not made of chalk.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2023 2:39 AM

I don't remember there being a huge difference between Hydrox and Oreos.

I also don't have a preference between Pepsi and Coke.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 2:44 AM

They are Oreos' cheaper cousin.

My mom used to buy them, so they must have been cheaper, but they always tasted like sin.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2023 3:01 AM

[quite] how do they compare to Oreos?

They are just as bad

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2023 3:11 AM

[quote] "Hydrox were so much better than the vapid-tasting Oreos."

Hard disagree, R3. Hydrox were always the bitter, and otherwise flavorless cousin of the Oreo (though Hydrox came first), when I had them. Oreos probably taste better because of tons of extra sugar and preservative chemicals. But they do, as far as I'm concerned. Though I can't tell you the last time I had either one.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2023 3:17 AM

As a kid, Hydrox just tasted to me like stale cardboardy generic cookies that looked like Oreos

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2023 3:27 AM

Hydrox were what the kids from the poor side of town ate.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2023 3:27 AM

[quote]I think "Hydrox" was a bad name. It sounded like something medicinal or chemical rather than a delicious cookie.

Exactly. I think that's the overwhelming reason why Oreos won the market.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2023 3:33 AM

It used to be that Hydrox vegan and kosher. Oreos had lard in the filling until the mid 90s.

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2023 3:38 AM

Let's ask Lizzo what she thinks. She eats each daily by the bagful, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2023 3:41 AM

I liked Hydrox better. They didn't have as much of that white schmutz in the middle. My brother preferred Oreo. My parents bought both until I grew tired of them. My favorite cookies were Brown Edge Wafers and Striped Shortbread,

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2023 3:43 AM

Major grocery stores stopped selling Hydrox cookies. They just disappeared. I think they’re much better than Oreos. Also, Hydrox are made in the U.S.A., whereas Oreos are now manufactured Mexico. That really pissed me off, and I haven’t purchased them since. Team Hydrox here, and I happily buy them.

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2023 3:43 AM

Where do you find them, R18? Do you have to order your Hydrox on Amazon?

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2023 3:44 AM

Fat whores, remember!

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2023 3:47 AM

The Hydrox is much less sweeta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2023 4:00 AM

Amazon sells them, $24 for 6 packs. Not a bad deal. I am tempted to buy some. If they're available on Amazon, I am assuming these aren't old expired boxes and that they are still being manufactured. If so, they must be sold in at least some places in the US—I wonder where?

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2023 4:06 AM

R16 Hardeeharhar 🤪! Wow you're a regular laugh riot! 🤡 Keep 'em coming!

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2023 4:15 AM

I wouldn’t assume anything about the expiration date. I’d post a question on the Amazon page.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2023 4:15 AM

#Justice4NutterButters

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2023 4:38 AM

I love that The Simpsons referenced Hydrox cookies in one of my favorite episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2023 4:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!