Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Storm Warning" (1950) starring Ginger Rogers, Doris Day, Ronald Reagan, and Steve Cochran

This film noir follows a model (Rogers) who witnesses the murder of a journalist by the KKK in a small southern town. She ends up soon finding that one of the klansmen is her sister's (Day) new husband (Cochran). Reagan stars as an attorney who helps Rogers. I bought this blindly when Warner Archive released it recently on Blu-ray. The premise intrigued me, and I was surprised I'd never heard of it. It delivers. Despite having been branded as a political film by Warner Bros., it has the seriously weird misfire of never once alluding to the KKK's racist foundations. Still, I found it very engaging, and it was the first time I'd seen Rogers in a dramatic role like this. The first fifteen minutes in particular are riveting, shadowy, and creepy. There is a lot of melodrama, and the ending is a real sucker punch. At times it looks like a horror movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 4:02 AM

I love this movie! Ginger Rogers was first-rate in a serious role and looked fantastic.

I once read that Steve Cochran had a very, very large penis. Can anyone here offer supporting documentation? (Just curious.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2023 1:48 AM

R1 agreed, Rogers looked great in this film and her acting was top-notch. I am not an expert on her, and had only seen her in a few musical/dance roles before this ("Swing Time" with Fred Astaire comes to mind). I frankly didn't know she was capable of something like this, but she did the material justice and her acting was good.

I've heard similar things about Cochran, but can't offer evidence regarding schlong size. I know he was a total pussyhound and died while sailing on a yacht with several other women. If memory serves, the women didn't know how to control the vessel, and they were stranded at sea for several days with his rotting corpse. Truly horrendous. He had a sleaziness about him that was perfect for "Storm Warning", but he also had sex appeal. He was certifiably hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2023 1:59 AM

Per Wikipedia/the American Film Institute, Lauren Bacall was supposed to play Ginger Rogers's role, but she refused and was let go by Warner Bros. The conflict between Bacall and Warner Bros. was apparently financial. It would have been an entirely different movie if our dear Betty had gotten that role. There is a good deal of scholarly literature suggesting the film was a commentary on the Hollywood blacklist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2023 3:58 AM

Joan Crawford rated Steve as one of her best lovers.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 4:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!