Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barry Newman is DEAD to ME!

Played Petrocelli on TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 7, 2024 1:00 PM

He was alive??

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2023 1:07 AM

GAY? He 'dated' Donna Mills. So did John C onboy.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2023 1:18 AM

He was in the TV remake of "The Mirror Crack'd (from Side to Side)" opposite Claire Bloom. (Also featuring Our Daisy from "Keeping Up Appearances.")

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2023 2:59 AM

Good actor. I remember we liked "Petrocelli" back in the day. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 4:06 AM

His great contribution to American culture was NBC's Nightingales (1989-1989), alongside La Pleshette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2023 4:16 AM

His stylists did wonders with bangs.

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2023 4:17 AM

Murder She Wrote

RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2023 6:51 AM

R7, yeah, he appeared 3 times on 'Murder, She Wrote'. One time he played a detective and another time he played the murderer.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 8:15 AM

He was also in a 1980s lesbian themed TV movie called My Two Loves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2023 9:52 AM

Yikes! That opening sequence for NIGHTINGALES looks and sounds like some kind of SNL parody from the 80s. Poor poor Suzanne Pleshette.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2023 12:48 PM

Yeah, the Nightingales intro is nuts, all that blatant dick imagery. Squeeze that blood pressure pump, baby! Tap that pencil on your parted lips!

Catchy theme song, though.

I'd be pissed if I were a composer who wrote a theme for "Aaron Spelling's next big series" and it turned out to be that.

by Anonymousreply 11June 6, 2023 6:19 AM

I remember watching Nightingales at the time as a young lad. It wasn't a bad show, but it wasn't good either, and it was airing in St. Elsewhere's old time slot, so that really didn't go over well.

Nurses' groups HATED the show and spoke out against it, claiming it made them look like nymphomaniacs. (Although IIRC none of the characters really had sex.)

There were news stories about NBC flying Suzanne Pleshette around to ask nursing associations to stop bitching about the show! Lol. Then the network launched Quantum Leap in that slot, and that was that for Nightingales and Suzanne, who went back into mothballs for a while.

by Anonymousreply 12June 6, 2023 6:46 AM

There was an ep of Nightingales where one of the nurses didn't know anything about birth control. A nurse.

by Anonymousreply 13June 6, 2023 7:00 AM

The Nightingales didn't have time for sex because they were too busy doing their aerobics in slutty skimpy leotards.

by Anonymousreply 14June 6, 2023 12:53 PM

he was my 'bate fuel as a 1970's gayling.

by Anonymousreply 15June 6, 2023 12:56 PM

And yet Barry hasn't yet gotten a mention in the "Now that is one hot Jew" thread.

by Anonymousreply 16June 6, 2023 4:33 PM

Audio quality is terrible, but this is an even better version of the Nightingales theme song with the synth bass. It's also terrible that a short-lived tv show overshadows someone's death thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2023 1:25 AM

Who in the name of dog shit is that??

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2023 1:27 AM

He’s in Murder, She Wrote right now!

by Anonymousreply 19February 7, 2024 4:46 AM

Sorry about the tawdry headline, Barry.

by Anonymousreply 20February 7, 2024 4:53 AM

Was very hot in his heyday.

by Anonymousreply 21February 7, 2024 1:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!