Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Father - Son Dynamics

I have an amazingly kind, but strict father. It's his way only. He doesn't want to hear any conflicting opinions and if my family member even has the nerve to speak up, he silences us with a raising of his hand or displays his short temper.

At Christmas, I asked him where is the key to a shed that he put a lock on. He wouldn't tell me. I have major stress from the thought of cleaning his property that has thousands of items. I texted him again a few months ago when I was stressing at the thought, and he replied, "I'll tell you when I feel the time is right." He's a few years from 80. I have grown so frustrated with him silencing and controlling me, that I replied, "So rude and obnoxious. Bye." I knew it would make his blood boil, but I clicked send. I didn't hear from him for weeks.

A few weeks later, my mom called and was on the verge of tears and said something to the effect that it was hard to say, but I shouldn't come home for my birthday in a few months because of the tension it would create. I haven't heard from her in a month.

In the last month, my dad has copied me on texts about random events (animals in the yard, grandchildren graduation photos), but he hasn't addressed my text message until the other day when I received a long email where he basically said no one has ever spoken to him like that and no one ever will. He also mentioned boundaries that shouldn't be crossed with the assumption of a father is always right.

I wrote a long reply about how all of us are afraid of him and for the first time in my life was totally honest with him about how it felt to always be suppressed by him. I also mentioned his amazing qualities. He hasn't replied.

My question is, have any of you suggested to your parent that you move from a parent-child relationship to a more friendly relationship without the history / power dynamics of parents/children? Did it improve your relationship?

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2023 1:17 AM

We need all the facts, OP.

Is/was your dad hot, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2023 12:44 AM

I had a similar situation with my mother. After a particularly bad tantrum after I told her I couldn't do some stupid thing she asked me to do - I wrote her a letter and said I couldn't handle the tantrums any more. She took me out of her will, closed a joint bank account, etc.

I think what it is is a "narcissistic injury." Their ego is so fragile that they can't handle being told off. By anyone. You only mattered to them to the extent to fed their ego or gave them "narcissistic supply." If it's true NPD, they don't love anybody. It's all transactional.

I'm back in touch because I'm a patsy (and an only child and she's 94 and I feel too guilty to just wash my hands of her.) But no contact for four years was very healing. I'd recommend no contact if you can arrange it, and if your guilt-level can take it. It's not your fault! He's very damaged but likely cannot change. If you can arrange to meet other family members, that's great, but they often cut you off when you've stood up to the bully in a family with a toxic dynamic like this.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2023 12:49 AM

OP, your mother enabled your father’s behavior. Why didn’t she protect you against his hot temper and bullying behavior? She’s spineless by allowing him to banish you.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2023 12:53 AM

He's not that kind, he's just tolerable if everyone acts like a yes-man.

I wonder what crazy embarrassing shit he has in the shed.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2023 12:58 AM

My father spanks me. Still.

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2023 12:59 AM

OP can't you just get a bolt cutter or locksmith?

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2023 1:02 AM

I don't think adult children have the right to break into their parent's property without their permission.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2023 1:06 AM

Why are you obsessed with this shed?? Is your teddy bear in there?

He doesn't want you opening it and rummaging around right now for whatever reason, deal with it. He's 80. He doesn't have to give you a reason, yet he did. He doesn't feel like it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 1:14 AM

Maybe he is a murderer and keeps his trophies in the shed. Or Playboys. Or Playgirls.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2023 1:15 AM

EST are through the roof. Men are only one-sided.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2023 1:15 AM

Zzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2023 1:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!