Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NY Times comes for Biden as an old man: it’s “complicated”

“In private, some officials acknowledge that they make what they consider reasonable accommodations not to physically tax an aging president. His staff schedules most of his public appearances between noon and 4 p.m. and leaves him alone on weekends as much as possible.”

This is the Times pushing him out?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 6, 2023 11:51 AM

Free version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 8:51 PM

You'd swear Trump is only 35 the way the media goes on and on about Biden being 80. There's only four fucking years between them. Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 9:08 PM

[quote]NY Times comes

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 9:09 PM

To use a grotesque saying, the NY Times can’t help shitting where it eats. But then it comps the GOP a fancy dinner — out of fairness

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 9:10 PM

It's actually a very even-handed piece, in which Trump is unfavorably compared to Biden.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 9:34 PM

Chuck Todd and the NYT are clearly in cahoots.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 9:44 PM

Here is the NY Times, NY Timesing again. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 9:47 PM

During the hearings multiple people confirmed dump spent all day watching fox news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2023 9:52 PM

Ah, the New York Times, still pretending it has relevance.

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2023 9:55 PM

Vanity Fair concurs: the question needs to be asked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2023 9:56 PM

What question

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2023 9:57 PM

Next up at the NYT: Geriatric, racist Republican diners at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere in Ohio are asked their opinion on whether or not Donald J. Trump should be canonized a saint, despite not being Catholic. A truly hard hitting piece of investigative journalism and a sure fire Pulitzer winner.

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2023 9:58 PM

This shit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2023 10:00 PM

Stam- in-nuuuuuuuuuuggggh

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2023 10:01 PM

I'm not going to pretend that the President's age shouldn't be a concern, but as of this point he is the only thing standing between sanity and crazy. When the other party starts being a functioning, legitimate political party again - with some legitimate policy positions, then let's talk about President Biden's age.

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2023 10:02 PM

I mean, two things can be true. Biden is the only choice for 2024, unless you're a fucking Nazi. AND, 86 is way too old to be President. Honestly, I think Biden will eek out a narrow victory in 2024. I'm more concerned about 2028. I personally like Kamala, but it's very clear the general public does not and that's putting it mildly. Assuming she remains Veep in 2024, I hope she'll put her presidential aspirations on hold. I do hope we'll have a female president one day. It won't be Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2023 10:06 PM

It’s an even handed piece, respectful toward Biden. I think even plenty of Biden supporters are concerned about this. Leading Democrats certainly are. I detest Trump but, for whatever reason, he still doesn’t come off as old/feeble.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2023 10:10 PM

[quote]he still doesn’t come off as old/feeble.

R17, every world leader was walking while Trump was golf carted everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2023 10:13 PM

"Concerned "

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2023 10:14 PM

Lots of handwringing but not about this ⬇

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2023 10:17 PM

That whole article basically said he’s slowing down but is still incredibly capable, especially when compared to Dump. Dump came across as senile, not Biden.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2023 10:18 PM

It's not complicated. The press has moved on from American democracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2023 10:19 PM

[quote]I detest Trump but, for whatever reason, he still doesn’t come off as old/feeble.

Trump has dementia, period. He can no longer speak in complete, coherent sentences. If you watch an interview with him from 20 years ago, the difference is astounding - he used to have a much bigger vocabulary and he could convey coherent thoughts. (The article points that out.)

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2023 10:21 PM

This is what we've come down to: two rich, white, old candidates. Neither would have stood a chance a few decades ago, but since nobody who's truly qualified wants the job... At least Biden is sane and basically competent. Not exactly a stellar recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2023 10:29 PM

The purpose of this president is restore US position and strengthen American democracy

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2023 10:31 PM

R24, wait, what? Two rich old white guys wouldn’t have stood a chance decades ago? That’s all we ever elected, except for JFK. And he was rich and white.

by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2023 10:32 PM

The purpose of this president is restore the US position on the world stage and strengthen American democracy after this 👇

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2023 10:33 PM

[quote]Biden will eek

FFS, R16, the word is EKE. Please make a note of it.

by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2023 10:56 PM

I realize Democrats don't worry about details having to do so much with someone's physical public image as opposed to Republicans (agree, it shouldn't matter but we know that the optics angle is always there and makes a difference to many); but, come on, they could do a bit of a better job the way they present Biden, at least when he's on TV speaking. Give a little coloring to his hair and face, a better job with the lighting and makeup. It's always been as if his handlers want him to look like the waked dead person propped up with eyes open and mouth mumbling that he just about always comes across seeming like. Is it botox, or something? He always has that squinting, rigor mortis-is-setting-in-look. Even with Reagan in '80s, I think they made a bit more effort to make him, at his advanced age, appear in the media a bit more...lifelike.

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2023 11:01 PM

From Walter Duranty to Judith Miller to Amy Chozick, the NYT has shown itself to be a very biased and unreliable news source.

by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2023 11:19 PM

Biden and staff should just call the rest of his schedule "executive time." Even though Dump used it for taking dumps and watching TV, it shouldn't matter how Biden chooses to fill it.

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2023 11:26 PM

R24, suggest you dig a little deeper numbskull- God people on DL have no idea how dumb (uninformed) they are.

Do you know anything about his renewable energy legislation, protected quite effectively in negotiating default prevention on the national debt being extorted by a historian ally off the rails party.

Sheesh. Give more old guys.

by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2023 11:29 PM

President Biden is taking many meetings and making many phone calls

by Anonymousreply 33June 4, 2023 11:52 PM

I lowkey think Biden should feature his wonderful staff in the reelection commercials. IKYK that is who's running the show and WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK.

As long as the country is in capable hands and we are still respected on the world stage, I don't care if we are fronted by an older president. Is there any other winning solution to keep the presidency? No.

by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2023 11:58 PM

At this stage the alternative is a Republican. Go Joe!

by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2023 12:07 AM

The article is harder on Trump, IMO (and rightfully so):

The question of Mr. Biden’s age does not come in isolation, of course. Mr. Trump, his likeliest Republican challenger, is just four years younger and was the oldest president in history until Mr. Biden succeeded him. If Mr. Trump were to win next year, he would be 82 at the end of his term, older than Mr. Biden will be at the end of this one.

While in office, Mr. Trump generated concerns about his mental acuity and physical condition. He did not exercise, his diet leaned heavily on cheeseburgers and steak and he officially tipped the scales at 244 pounds, a weight formally deemed obese for his height.

After complaining that he was overscheduled with morning meetings, Mr. Trump stopped showing up at the Oval Office until 11 or 11:30 a.m. each day, staying in the residence to watch television, make phone calls or send out incendiary tweets. During an appearance at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, he had trouble lifting a glass of water and seemed to have trouble making his way down a modest ramp.

Most striking was Mr. Trump’s cognitive performance. He was erratic and tended to ramble; experts found that he had grown less articulate and that his vocabulary had shrunk since his younger days. Aides said privately that Mr. Trump had trouble processing information and distinguishing fact from fiction. His second chief of staff, John F. Kelly, bought a book analyzing Mr. Trump’s psychological health to understand him better, and several cabinet secretaries concerned that he might be mentally unfit discussed invoking the 25th Amendment to remove him.

by Anonymousreply 36June 5, 2023 12:17 AM

It ain't dementia, that is PEPSI

by Anonymousreply 37June 5, 2023 12:21 AM

(R26) Specifically, THESE TWO rich, old white men wouldn't have been elected president decades ago... Trump makes previous showbiz hack Reagan look like Einstein, and Biden would have been lucky to have been vice-president. The political pool today is pretty bottom of the barrel...

by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2023 12:42 AM

It isn't. And American citizens do not vote against our interests

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 5, 2023 12:52 AM

Wait, r38… but Biden WAS vice president. And I disagree about your throwing Biden in with Dump. If Biden had run in 2016, he would have won, and he would have been an excellent president—just as he is now.

by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2023 12:52 AM

Texas AG Says Trump Would've 'Lost' State If It Hadn't Blocked Mail-in Ballots Applications Being Sent Out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2023 12:56 AM

God, I miss Hillary. She would have been the greatest President oof my lifetime.

She has no more fucks to give and I don't blame her.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2023 1:00 AM

It’s actually quite simple: Quit shopping the nursing homes for presidents. If they didn’t grow up using a computer or having electricity at all they’re too fucking old. DF is a fine example of public service becoming self-serving.

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2023 1:08 AM

Why is it suddenly an 80-year-old is a problem? Nobody is questioning Moscow Mitch about his mental acuity.

by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2023 1:16 AM

So what if he prefers meetings between noon and 4PM? I do too and I'm half his age - he's not special. It's not the first time we've had presidents who needed accommodations for their health. I would rather have a progressive 95-year-old than a fascist in his 40s.

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2023 1:18 AM

Didn't say much about Reagan either

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2023 1:18 AM

Yes, but a progressive in his 40s (or 50s or 60s) would be great.

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2023 1:21 AM

R47 it would! Where are they? Most of us would love for one to step up. Nobody who isn't a Boomer or older wants anyone older than the oldest Generation X in charge. Kamala Harris almost makes that cut, but though I do like her, I agree with the other poster that there's no denying she's deeply unpopular. But the only major younger candidates are on the right. So we're stuck with the ancient bitches running everything into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2023 1:29 AM

It is supposed to be Governor Cuomo or Newsome

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2023 1:30 AM

I would have loved Al Franken to have run (he should have been Hillarys VP pick) ...but after the wrist-cutting Dems expelled him, he has no fucks to give either.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2023 1:44 AM

I don't need a president who can bench 300 or run a marathon. I need a president who is mentally sharp. I need a president who is politically savvy. Biden has proven to be all of that, outmaneuvering Republicans half his age.

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2023 2:07 AM

As long as his age doesn’t prevent him from being elected, it doesn’t concern me. The alternative is much worse and Biden seems like someone who will take advice and find competent people to take on many of his tasks. Kamala is a bigger problem, she isn’t electable but she won’t go quietly.

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2023 2:10 AM

I need a POTUS who gets the big picture: American democracy

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2023 2:10 AM

[quote]I would have loved Al Franken to have run (he should have been Hillarys VP pick) ...but after the wrist-cutting Dems expelled him, he has no fucks to give either.

Anytime you want to quit repeating that lie would be great!

For the billionth time, Al "Handsy" Franken was 100% responsible for his departure!

Before any investigation EIGHT women had unsavory stories to tell, and six of them were Democrats! Franken then called or an investigation. After a meeting with Chuck Schumer, I'm sure he was asked "Al, if we have an investigation, how many other women will come forward?" The answer to that was obviously NOT zero and Franken packed it in! who cuts and runs that fast when they're innocent? No one! Everyone bizarrely blaming Sen. Gillibrand, as if she alone decides who serves in the Senate, was openly misogynistic. I imagine no one ever wondered or asked Sen. Gillibrand if Franken had gotten his hands all over her in the elevator before? Something tells me that was the case though.

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2023 3:20 AM

Well, the Times certainly didn't do Biden any favors when they "accidentally" published his obituary.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2023 3:22 AM

[quote] I need a POTUS who gets the big picture: American democracy

Oh honey, you'll need a time travel machine for that.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2023 3:24 AM

32 accusers including 👇

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2023 5:14 AM

You know the situation with Biden is bad when even his most ardent supporters literally have nothing to rebut the statements about his condition other than whatabout Trump.

by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2023 5:18 AM

These Are the Women Who Have Accused President Trump of Sexual Misconduct

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2023 5:28 AM

r58, you're right. When an article about some issue invokes Trump as much as the issue that the article is actually about, you can be sure that issue is an unredeemable shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 60June 5, 2023 11:18 AM

R58, considering Dump is the main competition in 2024, bringing up what a shit show Dump is by comparison is appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 61June 5, 2023 11:22 AM

[quote]When an article about some issue invokes Trump as much as the issue that the article is actually about, you can be sure that issue is an unredeemable shitshow.

Tell us you didn't read the article without telling us.

by Anonymousreply 62June 5, 2023 11:39 AM

Why do we have a gerontocracy in the US in the first place? We're even rolling them out in wheelchairs.

by Anonymousreply 63June 5, 2023 11:51 AM

Anti-trump sentiment is what put Biden In office.

The Republicans need to have a Biden moment and coalesce around a Trump opponent like the Democrats did in 2020. It seems like everybody else dropped out in a number of weeks before Biden became the front runner.

by Anonymousreply 64June 5, 2023 11:52 AM

Right, R63? WTF are they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 65June 5, 2023 12:54 PM

r63 Because people live longer than ever and so this is the natural result of that. I doubt the founders imagined it would ever get this bad, otherwise they'd probably put in some age limits.

It's so much worse in Japan, by the way. Also Italy. In both countries that has resulted in younger people feeling disempowered and disproportionately sitting out the elections, which thankfully hasn't yet happened in the US.

by Anonymousreply 66June 5, 2023 1:42 PM

[quote] Why do we have a gerontocracy in the US in the first place?

A large part of it is that politicians don’t police themselves and retire when it’s appropriate. Look at Feinstein and Biden. Both of those two put themselves and their needs first instead of the country’s needs.

by Anonymousreply 67June 5, 2023 1:49 PM

R67, I think the powers that really be in the party wnat old people they can use and manipulate. Why are these very old people with obvious cognitive impairment even offered as options?

by Anonymousreply 68June 5, 2023 2:06 PM

r58 what is to rebuke? He is 80? Okay, he is 80 and fucking outsmarts Republicans at every turn.

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2023 2:09 PM

I'll take the olds like Biden, Hilary, and Pelosi any day over some of these performative dumbasses. Hell, I despise McConnell but he knows how to get stuff done other than tweet and "clap back".

by Anonymousreply 70June 5, 2023 2:20 PM

R65, FDR was in a wheelchair his whole life because of paralysis, not because of old age. Are you really this stupid?

by Anonymousreply 71June 5, 2023 3:05 PM

Correction, most of FDR's life after contracting polio. I know you guys can be cunty stickler.

R72

by Anonymousreply 72June 5, 2023 3:09 PM

Of course anyone is free to run for public office, but those under thirty have yet to figure out how to drag their sorry asses to a polling booth on election day. I welcome them to STFU until they're actually taking part in Democracy!

by Anonymousreply 73June 5, 2023 3:28 PM

Then vote for some 35 yo not in a wheelchair, brother!

Let's see how well they do on the big stage. Let's see their experience, please. Show us their credentials, too. How do we think they'll survives the oppo research that the Repubs will put them through? What about potential Twitter cancellation, since that seems to matter more to the youngsters? Or, will that younger person be immune to that type of cancellation "for reasons"?

By the way, what's stopping whoever from stepping up and stepping in if this younger guy/generation knows it all and has all of this energy? Where are they hiding? Name them, brother. Let's fucking go. We need to support them, democracy is on the line!

by Anonymousreply 74June 5, 2023 3:57 PM

I'll vote for Biden but I'm not happy about it, and would rather have Gretchen Whitmer, Jared Polis or Gina Raimondo as candidates. The wrong Trump fell down a flight of stairs.

by Anonymousreply 75June 5, 2023 4:02 PM

Biden is the "safe" candidate. Like Sunak in the UK, he's just sort of... there. And as with Sunak, that's a relief, given the havoc their predecessors wreaked.

My prediction: barring serious health problems, Biden will run for re-election in 2024. If re-elected (and sitting presidents usually are), he will step down ca. mid-2025 in favour of Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 76June 5, 2023 4:46 PM

You people are nuts! Biden is the most progressive President in a generation and has been unusually successful legislatively. He is getting as much done as anyone thought possible and if you're still claiming he's a "placeholder" you haven't been paying attention at ALL!

In some ways he's bettered Obama (no red wave under Joe), and as long as he's still alive on Inauguration Day, we have four more years of sanity and Democracy! I hope he wins and survives but really all he needs to do is get sworn in. Try being strategic, people!

He's also driving every GOP in DC absolutely out of their minds, which I love. Go Dark Brandon!

by Anonymousreply 77June 5, 2023 5:21 PM

Thank you R77. Despite the perception, Biden has gotten a lot accomplished . He may end up being one of the best presidents in my lifetime. People only pay attention to click baity headlines and don't dig deeper. Joe's getting shit done and what's more important is that he's shown how a working knowledge of Congress is an asset for a President. So what if he's got some mileage on him, I bet he's in better shape than 2/3s of Congress and most of the people posting on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 78June 5, 2023 5:30 PM

I love the guy. But wish he wouldn’t run. Any DL politicos have insight into why he’s running? I get why he didn’t announce he was 1-term president in 2020 and before mid-term, but why not step down and let youngsters fight it out? Do you think internal dem Polling shows he can win?

by Anonymousreply 79June 5, 2023 6:15 PM

Running biden is fine. Just gotta get Kamala off the ticket. Kamala is historically unpopular. Supporters will claim its because she's a minority woman but she has real issues communicating and even more behind the scenes. She's a mess. I dont worry about her stepping in for a year as President, its a little scary to think of her as President for most of a term. She is unelectable. Her senate election was a cakewalk. Her presidential election was a dumpster fire and reflected what you read about in her office--inability to manage staff, unprepared, chaotic personality....And thats followed her.

Fun idea is for Obama to run as VP since constitution only says the President can only be ELECTED twice. Not sure people would look favorably upon that. Wonder if Supreme Court would prevent it after election. Obama probably wouldn't want it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 80June 5, 2023 6:27 PM

With physical or mental problems, Joe won't be around to run for a second term, Let him retire gracefully.

by Anonymousreply 81June 5, 2023 6:43 PM

R81, he has neither right now.

by Anonymousreply 82June 5, 2023 7:51 PM

I have never been a fan of Kamala, but I do think some of her press as Veep is unfair. But there is no way in hell he can get rid of her now. Unless there was something better he could offer her to make her go away.

by Anonymousreply 83June 5, 2023 8:38 PM

[quote] I have never been a fan of Kamala, but I do think some of her press as Veep is unfair.

Hi, Kamala!

by Anonymousreply 84June 5, 2023 9:20 PM

As other have said if Joe had someone else as VP it woeuld be better.

by Anonymousreply 85June 5, 2023 10:32 PM

/ /

would

by Anonymousreply 86June 5, 2023 11:54 PM

[quote] Just gotta get Kamala off the ticket.

I'm in between gigs right now...

by Anonymousreply 87June 6, 2023 11:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!