Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Doctors now charging and annual fee just so you can be their patient

Is this happening to you?

A Manhattan-based mother shared how her children’s pediatrician is now charging an annual fee of $350 per patient.

"It’s happening in LA too," one person shared. "Not only pediatricians but my obgyn as well. My Pediatricians fee is 250 a year and 'VIP' for $1k a year."

“I pay that in Westport CT! They call it an ‘admin fee,’” a second revealed.

“Same thing happened to me in DC. I was in my early 20s but most of her regulars were retired,” a third commented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2023 1:05 PM

They do that where I am for oil and heating. No emergency repairs unless you have a contract with the monthly or annual fee.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 8:34 PM

I blame One Medical. They started this bullshit. You pay $95 a year to be a member, in order to be a patient, and the idea is that you are supposedly getting upscale treatment, meaning you can email your doctor and get prescriptions without an office visit. Then Amazon bought One Medical. Now this bullshit, other big city physician outfits are cashing in. They too might then get bought by a conglomerate.

Everyone is laughing all the way to the bank, at your expense, and at the expense of your legally entitled medical privacy.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 8:46 PM

About 20 years ago in DC, my MD sent me a notice to the effect that I’d need to pay a fee to remain a patient.

His office was the worst of the worst— desk staff openly hostile, phones unanswered, they’d look you up and down with an attitude if you asked a question.

Needless to say, I wasn’t going to pay this fucker extra to give such shitty service.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 8:51 PM

Wait until AI takes over. Doctors will be paying the patient.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 9:30 PM

I thought this was considered "Concierge" medicine and the doctor offers expanded visits, housecalls, etc. Or are more doctors charging the fee with no added benefits?

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 9:40 PM

My doctor presented it as a “We need this money to stay in business. YOU WANT US TO STAY IN BUSINESS, RIGHT?!” fee.

And the answer was… no, not really. When I walk in and you have eight people sitting at the front desk doing nothing and no one even offers to help me… no. You don’t deserve to stay in business. You clearly don’t know how to run a business.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 11:32 PM

I've never heard of this practice until I read the article. I must say that I'm not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2023 11:12 AM

Yep, mine started about 3 years ago - $500.00 annually. It's ridiculous. The only benefit is that I can message him via a portal about whatever random topic. So far he has put up with me, and I'm trying to get my money's worth for the damn $500.00.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 11:37 AM

Well for 500 a year you deserve to get something from it.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2023 12:03 PM

My GP switched to a “concierge model” two or three years ago. $1000 a year and all I can see that has really changed is that I get an hour or so to talk with him at my annual physical and a free consultation with a nutritionist if I want it.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2023 12:44 PM

“Usa! Usa! Usa!”

by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2023 12:55 PM

My dad pays $1800 per year for concierge treatment with his long-time internist - the main benefit is same-day appointments, which is nice because he’s 83 and doesn’t have a lot of time left to waste!

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2023 1:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!