Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actor TYLER JAMES WILLIAMS breaks his silence : 'I'M NOT GAY'

"Abbott Elementary" star Tyler James Williams is responding to rumors about his sexuality ... and warning that the culture of trying to out people is creating a "dangerous" culture.

Tyler posted a message saying, "I'm not gay," but then quickly explained he's only taking time to address the topic because, "Overanalyzing someone's behavior in an attempt to 'catch' them directly contributes to the anxiety a lot of queer and queer questioning people feel when they fear living in their truth."

It's clear Tyler's read social media posts claiming he exhibits some gay "behavior," and he says that the practice of trying to find some "hidden trait" makes it harder, if not dangerous, for closeted LGBTQ members to be themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 15, 2023 11:28 PM

Do we all have to use the word “queer” now?

I have a boss who has a calendar that says “The Queer Year” and wears a shirt that says “queer”.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 6:52 PM

He does exhibit gay characteristics on Abbot Elementary, but I think that is him trying to act fastidious. His eyeballs do make me overly anxious though.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 6:54 PM

A nice message. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 6:55 PM

Oh he's definitely gay.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 7:00 PM

Major pussy hound. Big Bush supporter.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 7:01 PM

Who? I’m serious, who?

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 7:04 PM

He was in Everybody Hates Chris and The Walking Dead. Abbot Elementary is pretty popular. He may not be a household name but he’s doing okay. I thought his comments were ihtelligent.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 7:10 PM

Oh please, no heterosexual man says this shit.

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2023 7:16 PM

I remember him from Walking Dead and assumed he was gay.

He's lying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2023 7:30 PM

NOAH!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2023 7:32 PM

You are culturally out of touch if you aren't aware of Abbot Elementary r6.

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2023 7:34 PM

Abbott, not Abbot.

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2023 7:35 PM

OK, fine, he's not gay. Cool. But...framing his defense as some sort of protection for actual gay people in the closet is some disingenuous bullshit. Don't lecture us about shit we actually live, and know.

Should people be directly bothering him about his sexuality? No. But it's not a crime to wonder or speculate that someone might be something other than straight. And picking up on expressions and mannerisms is how we often find each other, and have done so for decades (long before it was ok to be so out and open). But now it's a thought-crime, and again, high-and-mighty straight "allies" want to lecture us on our own shit. Sorry, but they can fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2023 7:36 PM

I’m not gay either.

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2023 7:37 PM

R13, Jesus! Calm down. There was no way he could frame a “No” response without pissing off people you.

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2023 8:13 PM

Oh fuck off r13. You're just mad that no one EVER wanted to speculate about your ass.

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2023 8:27 PM

The straights can have him.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2023 9:15 PM

You first R16. Plus, that's not really an insult that works, as I'm not famous, and have no plans to be. So why would I care.

R15 Actually, he could. Plenty of actors before him have been speculated about for years on end, and they never got defensive. When asked, they simply said they had no problem with it as there was nothing wrong with being gay, so why would they need to defend themselves against it. So yes, there is a reasonable response for this.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2023 9:16 PM

Maybe he's a "they."

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2023 9:59 PM

What is supposed to be the difference between 'queer' and 'gay' ? I honestly don't know. Anyone ?

BTW, Tyler won an Emmy last year for his role on Abbott Elementary.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2023 10:09 PM

R20, he won a Golden Globe, not an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2023 10:12 PM

[quote]What is supposed to be the difference between 'queer' and 'gay' ?

Gay means gay and queer means "not straight"

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2023 10:13 PM

Is this the queen that sang her acceptance speech?

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2023 10:13 PM

It’s not gay if you don’t kiss. No homo!

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2023 10:15 PM

He participated in a Hollywood reporter actor round table that was published this week. He comes across as a really lovely and thoughtful guy and really low-key. He’s worth pulling for.

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2023 10:16 PM

"Queer" is a vile, disgusting, harmful, hurtful word that should be buried in the ash heap of history.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2023 12:54 AM

Depends on your generation. Us elder gays hate it but lots of younger guys identify with it.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2023 1:09 AM

Gurl, please.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2023 1:59 AM

We're Here. We're Queer. Get Used To It.

I dunno if he's gay or straight and I don't care.

But he's a homophobe pushing his own version of "Don't Say Gay".

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2023 2:16 AM

Let Tyler be great.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2023 2:29 AM

I don’t like men’s no more!

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2023 2:32 AM

He's not gay but his boyfriend is.

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2023 2:49 AM

[quote] Let Tyler be great.

r30 Yeah, Tyler Perry

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2023 3:08 AM

R31 I haven't watched or thought of that clip in the longest! Happy pride everyone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2023 3:15 AM

Not true R29. He warned against pushing people out of the closet before they are ready.

by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2023 4:42 AM

MARY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 36June 5, 2023 4:49 AM

[quote] Not true [R29]. He warned against pushing people out of the closet before they are ready.

r35 Nonsense. Nobody's outting anybody. He's trying to create a climate where actors don't come out.

"I'M NOT GAY!!!" The idiot forgot to add, "Not that there's anything wrong with that".

by Anonymousreply 37June 5, 2023 6:16 AM

She’s all like, “I’m NOT Rothaniel.”

by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2023 6:42 AM

I think I lost the narrative of this thread's script.

What in the fuck are you people talking about?

by Anonymousreply 39June 5, 2023 6:44 AM

What he said was 100% not homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2023 7:30 AM

[quote] What he said was 100% not homophobic.

r40 Bullshit. It reeks of homophobia. Shut your mouth and stay in the closet!

Hmmm, why doesn't he just give us a list of everything HE IS NOT?

If he had just said "I am straight" NO CAPS, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2023 8:02 AM

R41 I said what I said. He is spot on that it contributes to homophobia and the anxiety people struggling with their sexuality face. This is not the first time he addressed the gay rumors.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2023 8:24 AM

R8 not your typical one but maybe a Hollywood actor would. I assume people think he’s gay because of Dear white people.

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2023 8:26 AM

[quote] I said what I said. He is spot on that it contributes to homophobia and the anxiety people struggling with their sexuality face. This is not the first time he addressed the gay rumors.

r42 Nah, Miss Thaaang is just scared shitless people will think he's gay. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2023 8:34 AM

R44 U 🤔 so? It just seems odd that if he were so paranoid or homophobic he would choose a gay role so early in his career. Mark Wahlberg turned down Brokeback because of his hangups over homosexuality. Your assertion doesn’t ring true for how actors behave.

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2023 8:46 AM

r45 Mark Wahlburg has a history of being a fascist. But he already is an established megastar and can turn down roles.

This homophobic "Tyler" cunt can't afford to turn down any role. I still don't know who he is. He's a nobody. But we can all rest assured HE IS NOT GAY!!! What a man!!!

He is actively promoting the closet.

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2023 6:21 PM

R46 we agree to disagree my friend. I bet Mark would take a Brokeback type role today. I really do not see Tyler’s comment as homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2023 6:26 PM

r46 please shut the fuck up. You are totally out of touch and ancient if you have no idea who he is (he's starred in hit sitcoms since he was a kid, his is currently an Emmy award winning actor for a network show that's currently on), and if you did know him his comments weren't homophobic at all anyway. Get lost you old bitch.

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2023 6:35 PM

R48 o wow, lol. R48 has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2023 6:42 PM

r49 Hahaha. Nobody knows who's this guy except fools like you who are glued to the tv all day.

But we do know one thing: HE'S NOT A GAY.

Hide your head in shame, you dumb bootlicking queen.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2023 6:45 PM

R50 Platonic I think you meant r48. I sure hope so because you do not want this heat ;).

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2023 6:48 PM

Sorry r51, you're right. I meant r48.

But if you're hot give it to me baby! 🤣

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2023 7:25 PM

There have been rumors of actors being gay for all eternity. Not many actors have addressed this in their careers, and they have done fine. Why did he feel he had to make a statement ?

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2023 7:27 PM

He's adorable and an ally.* And he's funny. Who TF cares whether he's into girls or boys?

(* "ally", for the crack-smoking rage addict trolls of DL, is a person who isn't you who has your back at all times.)

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2023 7:29 PM

r54 He's not an ally. HE'S NOT GAY. Our straight allies aren't afraid of their association with us.

He's also not adorable. He looks like a burned out crack whore queen. Hahaha.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2023 7:47 PM

And now gays are the enemy for daring to point out celebrities we think are gay. Give me a fucking break. You're a public figure, if speculation about your private life bothers you this much, retire. Daniel Radcliffe used to get gay speculation that he played off nicely. It's only offensive if you see it as a negative attack.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2023 10:30 PM

r56 Thank you. You hit the nail on the head.

Tom Cruise has always gotten a large dose of teh gay speculation. Has he ever felt the need to declare "I'M NOT GAY"?

What a pretentious homophobic statement from this nasty clown.

by Anonymousreply 57June 6, 2023 12:53 AM

If he is closeted, what the fuck is he waiting for? He checks multiple boxes and will get a shit ton of work.

by Anonymousreply 58June 6, 2023 12:57 AM

How it is homophobic to announce you aren’t gay when asked especially when doing so with intent and purposeful reasoning. Tom Cruise has always been above it all pertaining to such matters and let’s not kid ourselves has been A list from his career onset. There was time that even addressing such rumors would be off putting to middle America. Tyler is an ally and a very intelligent working B-list actor. He meant no ill intent.

by Anonymousreply 59June 6, 2023 12:58 AM

R7 I agree with your comment but oh dear oh dear oh dear. An epic oh dear and irony exploded.

by Anonymousreply 60June 6, 2023 1:07 AM

R23 Lol, was it him. I don’t recall so. If not I’m dying to know who. Love you.

by Anonymousreply 61June 6, 2023 1:09 AM

He and his dad used to go to my Aunt’s church in Brooklyn. I remember seeing him when he was a kid. I don’t think Evrybody Hates Chris had started yet but he was known for having been in some films as a child star.

by Anonymousreply 62June 6, 2023 1:11 AM

R59 I'm not mad at him. I'm annoyed that his words are now being used to wokescold actual gays from conversing as we always have because we're being painted out to be the bad guys for picking up on tells. A "straight" man fingerwagging at mostly gay people about how we're hurting our own doesn't pack as much of a punch as someone from within the community.

by Anonymousreply 63June 6, 2023 1:20 AM

R63 I get you my friend. But I think the scolding was directed at straights not gay people. He seems to have upset many here so maybe he should have chose his words better.

by Anonymousreply 64June 6, 2023 1:27 AM

R23 R61 It wasn't him, it was his costar Miss Sheryl Lee Ralph. And don't you forget it !

by Anonymousreply 65June 6, 2023 1:37 AM

He could not be homophobic and exist in the same cast as Sheryl Lee Ralph, who has been a champion of gay rights forever

by Anonymousreply 66June 6, 2023 1:40 AM

r66 He's a homophobic twat. And we can file that under "Some of my best friends are ..."

by Anonymousreply 67June 6, 2023 1:45 AM

One of Tyler's brothers tweeted about all of this. Mentions that Tyler was really there for him and a younger brother when they came out. Definitely informs his statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 6, 2023 1:47 AM

r68 But HE'S NOT GAY!!! Oh, I'm so relieved. Poor thing was lumped in with his brothers. The shame!!!

William's is a homophobic twat or a closet queen or both.

by Anonymousreply 69June 6, 2023 2:15 AM

I agree that there was no way he could respond to the rumors without pissing off some people or being accused of lying. Other than not to respond at all but his publicist would have had a kitten. Basically it was an attempt to tell the haters that he’s not gay but if he were it would be none of their business and if they didn’t like it they could kiss his ass. But in a way that wouldn’t alienate his fans. His character is a tight-assed elitist who was overlooked for the job he deserves. He’s ambitious and a tad fastidious. But there’s nothing gay about him.

by Anonymousreply 70June 6, 2023 3:50 AM

[quote]OK, fine, he's not gay. Cool. But...framing his defense as some sort of protection for actual gay people in the closet is some disingenuous bullshit. Don't lecture us about shit we actually live, and know.

R13, he clearly wasn’t lecturing us. He was lecturing straight people. And he did it in a very thoughtful manner that I appreciate.

by Anonymousreply 71June 6, 2023 3:57 AM

r70 Kudos for posting on your account name. There's too many anonymous here and I can't help but wonder why?

Meh, there was no reason for him to respond at all. It's his own homophobic fear of guilt by association which led him to make the offensive statement. As has been said, we get no such statements from Tom Cruise or Daniel Radcliffe. My publicist would say the mystery is great PR.

But he didn't tell the haterz it was none of their business. He basically told them HELL NO I'M NOT A FAGGOT. The guy is a douche.

[quote] But there’s nothing gay about him.

Hahaha. I dunno, he has two legs and two arms just like every gay guy I know.

by Anonymousreply 72June 6, 2023 4:41 AM

[quote]Meh, there was no reason for him to respond at all. It's his own homophobic fear of guilt by association which led him to make the offensive statement. As has been said, we get no such statements from Tom Cruise or Daniel Radcliffe. My publicist would say the mystery is great PR. But he didn't tell the haterz it was none of their business. He basically told them HELL NO I'M NOT A FAGGOT. The guy is a douche.

Did you read his statement at all? I don’t think you could be further off in your analysis than you are. It was incredibly thoughtful, respectful, he pointed out that there was no one way to look straight or look gay, and trying to suss out gay people for fun and giggles isn’t good, it creates stereotypes that are harmful. And he ended it with a very nice supportive statement to the gay community and wished us all a happy pride.

He’s been a famous actor since he was a child. He’s played a gay character in a successful film. He’d never addressed it until now and didn’t want to until he thought that all the guessing was more harmful to gay people than it was to him.

Lord 🙄. Don’t know why you dropped that you have a publicist, but I hope you also have a good PR person, because the unfiltered you is quite a mess.

by Anonymousreply 73June 6, 2023 6:36 AM

r73 You speak as if this is a topic which should be addressed at all.

I'm not looking for any actor to throw me a few crumbs. Really? He did this to help closeted gay actors? That's a crock and you know it.

He was embarrassed that he is perceived as gay. We neither need nor want his condescension.

by Anonymousreply 74June 6, 2023 7:24 AM

[quote]I'm not looking for any actor to throw me a few crumbs. Really? He did this to help closeted gay actors? That's a crock and you know it.

Ok, first of all, it’s extremely narcissistic to think that he wrote that message to YOU and closeted gay actors only. He wasn’t throwing crumbs at you. He has no idea who you are and neither do we. He was addressing the message to straight people about the unintended harm they can cause to any gay person by speculating and stereotyping anyone’s sexuality. He never even mentions actors.

It wasn’t a message only to you as much you’d like to believe, because maybe you aren’t as important as you think you are.

Got it?

by Anonymousreply 75June 6, 2023 8:04 AM

So is he a "fag fag" or a "non fag fag"?

It's so hard to keep up with you fags.

Faggot Elementary sucks ass, btw.

by Anonymousreply 76June 6, 2023 8:34 AM

[quote]He was embarrassed that he is perceived as gay.

Exactly! As I've said earlier, hundreds of actors have been rumored to be 'gay' and nearly 0% address such rumors. They aren't embarassed.

by Anonymousreply 77June 6, 2023 1:02 PM

Citing Tom Cruse as an example of someone who is living an authentic life is funny. Not that there is anything “funny” about HIM. Straight as an arrow is old Tom. A reel man’s man. Question, r77. Why did you post anonymously and not as PlatonicCaveman?

by Anonymousreply 78June 6, 2023 3:51 PM

Why would I post as PlatonicCaveman when I'm not him ?

by Anonymousreply 79June 6, 2023 4:23 PM

Similar writing style and ideation led me to assume,r77. Bygones.😎

by Anonymousreply 80June 6, 2023 4:45 PM

[quote] Ok, first of all, it’s extremely narcissistic to think that he wrote that message to YOU and closeted gay actors only. He wasn’t throwing crumbs at you. He has no idea who you are and neither do we. He was addressing the message to straight people about the unintended harm they can cause to any gay person by speculating and stereotyping anyone’s sexuality. He never even mentions actors. It wasn’t a message only to you as much you’d like to believe, because maybe you aren’t as important as you think you are. Got it?

r75 Yeah, but you obviously didn't.

Hahaha. OMG, should I have used the royal "We"? Are you for real?

Oh such harm was done to this precious straight man that anyone might think he's gay!!! Hahaha.

This guy makes me ... uh, us ... cringe.

Obviously I'm giving my take on this, being humble. But he's insulting all of us, not just me.

by Anonymousreply 81June 6, 2023 6:58 PM

[quote][R70] Kudos for posting on your account name. There's too many anonymous here and I can't help but wonder why?

New here? You’ll find out soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 82June 6, 2023 10:16 PM

r82 I've been here about a year. Why, will something ominous happen?

Seriously I know there must be a reason for the almost universal anonymity. I've never seen anything like it on any other forum.

And it's not like we're using our real names anyway.

by Anonymousreply 83June 7, 2023 2:13 AM

R83, keep posting. You’ll find out.

by Anonymousreply 84June 7, 2023 2:28 AM

[quote] Mark Wahlberg turned down Brokeback because of his hangups over homosexuality.

Marky Mark got dumped by Clooney a few years before Brokeback. He went the religious route after the dumping.

As for Tyler, I saw a YT clip of him on Kimmel and I believe he is gay. He is playing a romantic lead on a hit tv show so understandably he's going to deny, deny, deny as per his publicist's instructions.

by Anonymousreply 85June 15, 2023 5:15 PM

Strange how there's been so little reference to Tyler James Williams' gay siblings. I don't think TJW is gay. There would be no need for him to make a comment like this if he were closeted.

by Anonymousreply 86June 15, 2023 11:25 PM

85 marky mark was one lucky ho.

by Anonymousreply 87June 15, 2023 11:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!