Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Time Capsule Mid-Century Home in Denver

Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 6, 2023 12:33 PM

You just know the people who live here are pretentious and woke as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 5:47 PM

Some of us don't consider woke a curse word. Your comment says a great deal about you, though.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 5:50 PM

I love it except for the bedroom off the dining area.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 6:30 PM

I would feel as if I were living in an office. Also would want UV treatment on the windows. Otherwise, that's a lot of damaging UVA rays hitting your skin every day. Not incidentally, the glass paneling by the front door seems like a security risk. Is it shatterproof?

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 7:00 PM

LOVE it.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 7:01 PM

Leaves me cold.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 7:05 PM

R4 = 300 years old

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 7:07 PM

@r1, We've seen your unwoke abode 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2023 7:26 PM

R7: But I look 19!

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2023 7:39 PM

I *much* prefer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2023 7:42 PM

This is a home I could appreciate!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2023 7:43 PM

How broken does your brain have to be that in a Tasteful Friends real estate thread r1 comes running to scream about "woke!1!!1!" apropos of nothing.

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2023 7:43 PM

Seems awfully expensive for what it is. Is that because Denver is horribly expensive?

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2023 7:50 PM

"Pretentious" on DL means I hate you because you're better educated than I am. "Woke" on DL means I have masculinity issues.

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2023 7:59 PM

R13 Denver is generally not as expensive as this house.

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2023 8:05 PM

^ Yeah, that's LA money in Denver

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2023 8:20 PM

My, my you'd think Frank Lloyd Wright designed it for that price.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2023 8:23 PM

I mean don't get me wrong, Denver is an up market and it isn't, you know, Buffalo. But that is way expensive even for Denver.

It was sold in 2015 for 865K.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2023 8:26 PM

I love it. But it's over priced.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2023 8:28 PM

It's gorgeous, but the exterior facade looks too commercial, like an office or administrative building from the same era.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2023 8:50 PM

More than 2M and no pool?

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2023 8:57 PM

R3 the “bedroom off the dining room” is for the live-in help, silly; see how easily she can get to the garage to allow for deliveries (food, liquor, etc,) to the laundry, to the kitchen, and have a bathroom that owners and guests do not have to use. Where were you reared, and WHO are your PEOPLE ?

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2023 9:05 PM

Yeah - tripling the price of the house in 7 years usually equates to some pretentious owners who think some other pretentious assholes will snap it right up.

It's alright - but it's just too period for me. And too trendy. Any changes or upgrades would have to be thoughtfully done because people get so uptight about changing ANYTHING about these homes.

Fuck that noise.

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2023 9:05 PM

Way overpriced. Calm but a bit too much of a time capsule. I see heating and cooling expenses. Has all the glass been updated to the very latest eco tech?

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2023 9:27 PM

From the outside and in it looks like an Elementary school built in ca. 1958. It doesn't have the feel, the coziness of a private house which makes it undesirable to me.

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2023 9:33 PM

I love it, but I would definitely change the paint color on the exterior. Way too much caramel between the bricks and that paint. I'd also update a few of the bathroom fixtures. Otherwise it's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2023 9:34 PM

[quote]It was sold in 2015 for 865K.

Which is all you need to see to know this house is way overpriced. I hope they don't get someone to actually pay this.

by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2023 9:37 PM

@r28, It looks exactly like my elementary school built in... *checks notes*... 1958

by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2023 9:41 PM

I like rooms with four walls and doors that shut. It feels cozy and safe.

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2023 9:45 PM

I dont like it personally, but I am glad somebody is preserving it as a time capsule of that era. I like seeing historic homes preserved and decorated appropriately to the period even if they arent in a style I like

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2023 12:23 AM

[quote] Any changes or upgrades would have to be thoughtfully done because people get so uptight about changing ANYTHING about these homes.

If you buy it, you can do whatever you want with it.

The kitchen was obviously renovated.

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2023 2:03 AM

Not my style but I quite like it. The interior is great, it's a fairly sophisticated and ingenious design, and the renovation was of excellent quality. The exterior colored glass panels kind of brilliant, and the living spaces very pleasant and flexible.

The exterior, however, is hard to love. I suppose the best thing is to mask it with green plantings.

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2023 9:02 AM

Are people not aware of what’s happened in the past three years? Even homes in bad areas of hot cities have appreciated far out of starter home range, to say nothing of those in highly-desired neighborhoods. Plus, I think this house was renovated since the 2015 purchase.

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2023 12:51 PM

expensive to heat?

by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2023 2:05 PM

R33 Duhhhhhh!!!!!! You stated two sentences of Incredibly Obvious Observations.

But that appreciation seems to be well beyond the scale of what one would expect. 865K to 2.25M is QUITE a leap, even considering appreciation and renovation. Either they really feel confident about that appreciation or they did a reno that basically took it to the studs and replaced every SINGLE thing that ever existed in this home (including infrastructure/wiring etc).

by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2023 2:09 PM

They are "woke"? Oh, they are supportive of gay folk, against racism, want to be responsible to the planet, concerned about those living in poverty... ok then.

That the bigotry of using "woke" as a criticism has to enter a thread about architecture? We are lost... so lost.

I agree with R25, the front of this house looks like an elementary school - maybe a Montessori preschool. I'm a fan of mid-century houses, but this is actually pretty boring. The plumbing is dated in a bad way. I think I'd be depressed living here.

by Anonymousreply 36June 5, 2023 2:15 PM

I truly love it, but I've seen actual Frank Lloyd Wright houses advertised for less in Oak Park in the last couple of years.

by Anonymousreply 37June 5, 2023 2:24 PM

I love this home except for the bathroom off the dining room. Stinky when a guest goes to poop mid meal.

But it is way too expensive for size and city.

by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2023 2:42 PM

What a dump.

by Anonymousreply 39June 5, 2023 3:04 PM

R38 I agree it's a pretty high price for house/city. Here's an Eichler home in the holy-of-holies for Eichler houses, Palo Alto, for a comparable price.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2023 4:26 PM

I fucking love it. Absolutely stunning renovation. I dunno who would be able to afford that price, while ending up with less than 3000 square feet of house. I wish it were me!

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2023 4:36 PM

Why does it look like there are two microwaves in the laundry room?

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2023 5:06 PM

Tirranna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2023 6:34 PM

Where Woke goes to die.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2023 6:40 PM

DL Architecture critic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2023 6:48 PM

The iron security door at the entrance as well as the bars on the sliding doors… Are we pretending we live in Pullman? Do we own pitbulls? Are we afraid Belgians are taking over the neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2023 8:53 PM

Ugh, who is the ugly man at R44?

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2023 9:05 PM

I love it and I would live there in a second, but I agree it needs a little more color -- it's a lot of beige and brown. Maybe paint one room or at least one wall green? Or a deep red. The colored panels are a beautiful touch but not quite enough

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2023 9:11 PM

A time machine to 1978

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2023 9:13 PM

This house is making me hungry for Jell-O 1-2-3.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2023 9:25 PM

I know that area well. The price reflects less on what the house is, but who the neighbors are. That neighborhood was a prime target for house flippers after the 08 recession. The whole area along University is where the ultra-rich live. Just down the road to the south is where a bunch of pro athletes have houses including the McCafferey family, the Elway family, and the Mannings.

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2023 9:39 PM

It feels flimsy rather than firmly planted. Does that sound weird? It isn't 'heavy' enough. I don't like the galley-style kitchen. It's lifeless in its lack of complimentary colors. Bland and lightweight are the thoughts that come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2023 9:56 PM

[quote][R13] Denver is generally not as expensive as this house

I live in Denver. Denver is expensive as fuck. That’s not even a great location. I’m sure it’s a nice neighborhood, but it’s south of 25 and nowhere near Capitol Hill or downtown.

My father, hard on me for years about why I hadn’t bought a house here yet. So whenever he sent me an email about something random, I would respond to his email by forwarding a listing I have been sent from a real estate company that was for some thing like a two bedroom shack with no kitchen in a terrible neighborhood that was falling down and they were asking $475,000 for.

Denver housing is outrageous.

I finally bought a condo, and I just got my city assessment, and they say my condo has gone up 40% iin 2 years. There’s no way I can sell it at that price, but that’s what people are listing their houses as. And that’s what we’re getting taxed on.

Legitimately, my condo probably increased about $40,000 in value in two years. Unless you live in the suburbs, you have to be a millionaire to buy a home in Denver today. Unless you want to get killed in a really scary neighborhood.

And Boulder? Jesus fucking Christ. You have to be a multi millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2023 9:59 PM

Oh, and add to that. I have coworkers that have lived here much longer than I have, bought nice houses that size in Capitol Hill 15 years ago, and their mortgages are lower than my little tiny condo.

It’s crazy.

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2023 10:02 PM

I think the house is great - my only issues are surface aesthetics. I really love the exterior, but I'd paint all the timber framing & panels charcoal grey (I'd be tempted to experiment with some primary colors / light grey on the panels - like the Eames House, but that probably won't work with the brick.) The interior is also wonderful, but overloaded with much too much of the same wood everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2023 10:37 PM

OP, I love it.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2023 11:22 PM

R54, this is priced-out time - your gaybourhood goes trendy, you can’t afford to sell and replace what you have anywhere near where you want to live, and the tax man follows the idiot valuations.

This is when you start receiving random “we buy homes” solicitations by phone, mail, and text,

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2023 11:22 PM

R57, it’s outrageous. I do live in the heart of the gayborhood.

But I have an escape plan. Since I can basically work from home permanently, I’m going to have a house built in the mountains about 40 minutes outside of Denver, move there and just rent my place out. And then when I’m too old to live by myself in the mountains, I’ll kick my renter out and move back into my tiny condo so that I’m near a hospital.

But I don’t want to spend as many years in the wilderness and never see another human being again. Until I’m old and need a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2023 11:29 PM

beige!

by Anonymousreply 59June 6, 2023 2:33 AM

R55 Do your greys with brick. I've done this in one of my homes and it looks fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 60June 6, 2023 5:26 AM

Is there a basement?

by Anonymousreply 61June 6, 2023 5:35 AM

It is beautiful. But I am sure it is a location, location, location kind of house. It would be gorgeous secluded on a large property instead of a busy neighborhood.

This sixty-year-old house I guarantee has sixty-year-old house problems. That's enough to scare me away. The bathrooms need some help, the kitchen needs more lighting and a new backsplash. The Beverly Hills tiki house we all loved was a much cooler house.

by Anonymousreply 62June 6, 2023 10:51 AM

R58 land in the mountains that close to Denver is going to be very expensive, too. And unless you’re planning a tiny house or a mobile home, the construction costs will be insane.

by Anonymousreply 63June 6, 2023 12:33 PM

Hit enter too fast. R58 do you already have the land?

by Anonymousreply 64June 6, 2023 12:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!