Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

U.S. First Ladies and visits with Popes. Who wore the black dress and veil well and who didn't?

Let's start off with Jackie On Assistance meeting Pope John XXIII.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 8, 2023 9:33 PM

Melania and the other Trump "first lady" with Pope Francis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 4:28 PM

OP, is that a *Who wore it better?* photo?

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 4:31 PM

Hillary Clinton looks like a peasant in her black outfit and veil with Pope John Paul II.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 4:31 PM

Look at Melania's hands...

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 4:32 PM

Laura Bush with Pope John Paul II. She looks quite lovely, but the Pope was clearly annoyed with her stealing his thunder sitting next to me. He probably wanted to smack her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 4:34 PM

I meant to type "next to him" not "next to me".

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 4:36 PM

I'm so glad for this thread. Since I will be the first woman president, I will take on the black dress and veil. I'm already contacting my stylist. Or, maybe my husband should at least wear a veil when we meet the Pope? Just kidding. My husband is a good straight man.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 4:38 PM

Mrs Obama got it right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2023 4:42 PM

Michelle Obama with Pope Benedict XVI. Looks a bit Amish in the dress style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2023 4:42 PM

Lady Bird Johnson couldn't be bothered to wear a veil in the presence of Pope Paul VI. Lucie Johnson wore a veil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2023 4:46 PM

She's wearing a hat, r10, she has sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2023 4:49 PM

Why are they supposed to wear head coverings?

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2023 4:50 PM

R3 - you’re so right!

As much as I love Hillary, she looks like she’s ready for Dancing Queen in a production of Mamma Mia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2023 4:50 PM

Rosalynn and Amy Carter fashion disasters at 1980 meeting with Pope John Paul II.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2023 4:52 PM

R12 - I believe, although not totally sure, that covering one’s head is a symbol of humility.

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2023 4:53 PM

R14 — poor Amy Carter! Looks like she had an afternoon of cow milking ahead of her.

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2023 4:54 PM

Nancy Reagan purposely wore that necklace to get more attention. I wonder if Pope John Paul II burned his clothes after the meeting with the Reagans since they were pals with psychic Jeanne Dixon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2023 4:56 PM

Jill Biden's weird floral pattern-type blazer with a weird veil. Looks miserable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2023 5:04 PM

[quote] Why are they supposed to wear head coverings?

So they don't turn the Holy Father on by baring their slutty hair. He's only human, you know.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2023 5:08 PM

Pat Nixon looks happily ready to have Wayland Flowers stick his hand up her ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2023 5:10 PM

Wow Laura Bush actually looks great.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2023 5:10 PM

Pat Nixon looks very cartoonish in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2023 5:11 PM

Melania and Ivanka look ready for their Black Mass First Communion.

Gonna give this to Jackie. She got Pope John XXIII for her accessory.

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2023 5:11 PM

It is diplomatic protocol AND a courtesy to a religious leader. If you’re lucky to be one of the select Catholic queens of Europe, you get to wear white!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2023 5:12 PM

Try again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2023 5:15 PM

Still doesn’t work, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2023 5:16 PM

Women in white

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2023 5:17 PM

Betty Ford pushed off to the side. I wonder if any bottles of communion wine went missing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2023 5:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2023 5:17 PM

Sorry—wiki acting up

by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2023 5:17 PM

Very timely thread for me. I'll be contacting some designers to start work on Casey's veil and dress for our meeting with the Pope.

Also, to Nikki Haley stay out of this thread. It will be and my wife having a Papal visit.

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2023 5:20 PM

Ivanka upstaged Melanie at R1 but is Ivanka's veil strictly correct? Is it too transparent? Is wearing a necklace following the rules?

by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2023 5:22 PM

Barbara Bush was another fashion disaster in her pope visit outfit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 4, 2023 5:24 PM

Laura Bush with Pope Benedict XVI.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2023 5:26 PM

Bar's veil was too small and too transparent. This is an outrage.

by Anonymousreply 35June 4, 2023 5:26 PM

R34 so glamorous!

by Anonymousreply 36June 4, 2023 5:27 PM

The Bidens meeting Pope John Paul in the '80s. Very awkward 80s picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 4, 2023 5:32 PM

Very odd that queens and First Ladies are expected to dress like widows when visiting the pope. The dress code needs updating.

by Anonymousreply 38June 4, 2023 5:33 PM

I guess jewelry is fine. Liz was showing off the bling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 4, 2023 5:35 PM

Sophie Trudeau looks like she's wearing a 1980s funeral dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 4, 2023 5:39 PM

R33 - I think Barbara Bush looks nice — probably appropriate for the time.

by Anonymousreply 41June 4, 2023 5:52 PM

[quote]Bar's veil was too small and too transparent. This is an outrage.

It's a...doily, r35.

by Anonymousreply 42June 4, 2023 5:54 PM

Mother Pence doesn't wear the black veil and dress well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 4, 2023 5:55 PM

Mother Pence sewed her own veil. From a leftover mosquito net.

by Anonymousreply 44June 4, 2023 6:01 PM

R40, Sophie Trudeau has had many fashion disasters. I think she looks good in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 45June 4, 2023 6:05 PM

Mike Pence is probably delusional enough to be believe he'll be POTUS and he has probably asked that Mother's black dress and veil be put away in storage for safekeeping along with boxes of documents.

by Anonymousreply 46June 4, 2023 6:07 PM

Hate to say it but Hillary does look peasant-ish, wrong headwear.

Poor Amy looked totally wrong.

That veil on the grifting, thieving Ivanka is so inappropriate.

Barbara was wearing a doily on her fat head.

Some ladies were wearing long dresses and some looked like they were not.

by Anonymousreply 47June 4, 2023 6:07 PM

R41, Barbara Bush looks good but I think she's going against the spirit of the dress code with the small, barely noticeable veil. I wonder if women who aren't Catholic are granted more leeway. Too bad we don't have a detailed explanation of the dress code.

by Anonymousreply 48June 4, 2023 6:14 PM

R48 read the women in white up thread-it may help, a bit.

by Anonymousreply 49June 4, 2023 6:16 PM

Yes, R49, but the article doesn't go into detail about the size of the veil, how transparent it can be, the length of the dress (eg. just below the knees or longer).

I didn't realise the dress code isn't compulsory. I guess the pope is just happy when the female guests aren't dressed in a trashy way.

by Anonymousreply 50June 4, 2023 6:27 PM

I put this thread on stand-by, on reserve for a Summer afternoon downtime, knowing you bitches would bring it.

You snarky beehive, indeed.

r16, Good thing laughing isn't fatal, cuz I'd now be dead.

by Anonymousreply 51June 4, 2023 6:28 PM

Town and Country has nice article and slideshow with some close up pics. The close up of Melania shows how hideous the veil and dress were.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 4, 2023 6:28 PM

Closer pic of Hillary. The dress looked fine. But, the head covering tied off with a knot looked awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 4, 2023 6:31 PM

[quote] Wow Laura Bush actually looks great.

She's a pretty woman and whoever styled her deserves an award.

by Anonymousreply 54June 4, 2023 6:34 PM

Oh great. You can count on Angie to wear low cut. Tramp!

True, Melania's veil and hairstyle are especially unflattering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 4, 2023 6:36 PM

[quote] Very odd that queens and First Ladies are expected to dress like widows when visiting the pope. The dress code needs updating.

Does this mean I'll have to dress like a widower for my Papal visit?

by Anonymousreply 56June 4, 2023 6:44 PM

Amy Carter looks like a Dutch farm girl in R14.

I wonder if she was wearing clogs to go with that outfit.

by Anonymousreply 57June 4, 2023 6:51 PM

I have to admit Cuntcy Reagan's veil in this pic looks lovely compared to the atrocity Bar Bush wore on her fat head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 4, 2023 6:54 PM

Another pic of Amy and Rosalynn Carter with the Pope. Amy's outfit in this one is worse than the one at R14. But, Rosalynn looks lovely here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2023 7:03 PM

[quote]Amy's outfit in this one is worse than the one at [R14]

It looks very au courant for the '70s, r59.

by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2023 7:05 PM

God, R 52, that picture of Princess Charlene of "M" is just Heartbreaking and that contemptuous lot is just lucky they haven't driven that poor woman into suicide yet. ( If that isn't their plan who knows?) Albert is SUCH a self-serving, piece-of-shit, DOUCHE of a Man let alone Monarch, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he wanted to somehow or another dispose of her to replace with another. But I think that then would be the final straw, even for the proud citizens of Monaco and the rest of the World- none would be able to stomach the very public and ugly display of protracted torment that the Grimaldi's have unnecessarily exacted against Charlene.

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2023 7:10 PM

You just know Ethel Kennedy was pretending to be FLOTUS during this meeting with Pope John XXIII. I wonder if any nose picking went down that day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2023 7:16 PM

Best dressed were Laura Bush and Michelle Obama. Laura probably learned from her cunt mother-in-law's blunders and made sure not to follow down that path.

The worst ones were Whorelania, Ivanka, Babs Bush, and Pat Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2023 7:20 PM

Amy is on point for a late 70s preteen. She got to meet the Pope, too!

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2023 7:22 PM

It's a good thing Bernie Sanders was never elected president. We would have to have seen Jane Sanders in a black dress and veil. It would have much worse than Bar Bush or Hillary Clinton.

It appears VP Kamala hasn't met the Pope. I wonder if she'll have to wear the black veil and dress. I have an image in my head of her terrifying Pope Francis with her cackling.

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2023 7:37 PM

Fuck off bigot.

by Anonymousreply 66June 4, 2023 7:53 PM

R10, I think this photo is not a the Vatican but in New York when Pope Paul VI came to address the United Nations and say Mass at Yankee Stadium in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 67June 4, 2023 8:10 PM

[quote] Why are they supposed to wear head coverings?

All three Abrahamic religions have mandated (and the more fundamentalist strains of Judaism and Islam still do) that women’s hair should be covered. In Catholicism, as little as two or three generations ago no woman would go to mass without at least a kerchief or hat on her head, and nun’s habits derive from the same diktat. In fact, nun’s habits and burqas actually have a lot in common.

by Anonymousreply 68June 4, 2023 8:12 PM

R35 and R42, what Barbara Bush is wearing is called a chapel cap and it could be worn by Catholic women in the past in curch in place of a mantilla or hat.

by Anonymousreply 69June 4, 2023 8:30 PM

With that doily on her head, Bar was proclaiming that she was a woman of loose morals.

by Anonymousreply 70June 4, 2023 8:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 4, 2023 8:37 PM

[quote]This was attested by multiple Church Fathers throughout the first centuries of Christianity who taught that because the hair of a woman has sexual potency, it should only be for her husband to see and covered the rest of the time.

Oh my sides. This is good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 72June 4, 2023 8:42 PM

Black women do it best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73June 4, 2023 8:43 PM

Barbara Bush’s salad plate size chapel veil was very typical of what American Catholic women would wear to mass up until the mid-60s when the custom of women covering their heads in church was made optional.

by Anonymousreply 74June 4, 2023 8:47 PM

Liz dressed like a trollop when she visits Pope Francis.

Just kidding. They were both guests at a lunch in Rome hosted by the Italian president, so I guess the dress code rules don't apply.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 4, 2023 8:55 PM

I have never in my life seen a more miserable human being than the Princess of Monaco.

Good Jesus, they should just let her go wherever the fuck she wants too. Get divorced, anything to let her have any sort of life.

I also know that she signed on willingly so anything that happens to her or how she has to live is her doing, even partially.

by Anonymousreply 76June 4, 2023 9:16 PM

I love how Pope Francis is intentionally scowling in the Trump picture. You can tell he absolutely despises them.

by Anonymousreply 77June 4, 2023 9:47 PM

I'm torn here. I typically have no problem with protocol, but it annoys me that only women have to cover their heads.

by Anonymousreply 78June 4, 2023 9:50 PM

Jill Biden looks ridiculous, considering that the veil is supposed to cover a woman's hair.

Babs Bush's "covering" also looks ridiculous, like a black dream catcher. She has a large head and large *white* hairdo to begin with. So that little black doily on top is very prominent.

Not surprising that the royals from around the world (vs. politicians) are better at following these kinds of protocols.

Ivanka: why was she always everywhere?

Angelina Jolie: where is her black veil? Was she trying to make a statement?

Laura Bush: looked good.

Hillary: love ya, but you looked terrible.

by Anonymousreply 79June 4, 2023 10:10 PM

Jill looked fine. Her style of mantilla was in line with what most Catholic moms wore to mass in the 60s, when it was still considered obligatory.

by Anonymousreply 80June 4, 2023 10:14 PM

Katy Perry meets the Pope. Looks good! Hair is covered. She's got a little veil. Eye makeup looks a little heavy, but that's how she always does her makeup: caked on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 4, 2023 10:15 PM

Queen Rania of Jordan meets Pope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 4, 2023 10:17 PM

Princess Diana meets Pope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 4, 2023 10:18 PM

[quote]Angelina Jolie: where is her black veil? Was she trying to make a statement?

I guess Angie is deathly afraid of looking matronly so she flaunts the rules. She had to wear a low cut suit that shows her ribs.

Maybe Melanie would have looked better with her hair in an up do.

by Anonymousreply 84June 4, 2023 10:20 PM

Assorted celebrities meeting Pope. Not sure who the douchebag in the preview photo is, but there are more recognizable celebrities in the People article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 4, 2023 10:21 PM

I wonder why Queen Rania wore a white scarf. Maybe she thought all black would look too somber or maybe there's a cultural reason.

by Anonymousreply 86June 4, 2023 10:21 PM

Not sure, R86, but she's so beautiful and always well-dressed. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on that.

by Anonymousreply 87June 4, 2023 10:24 PM

Melania Trump actually looks modest in her head covering: it actually does cover her hair. I think she tried. However, it wasn't flattering.

by Anonymousreply 88June 4, 2023 10:25 PM

Oh brother. Sting in some old T shirt in the link at R85. I wish he'd make an effort.

Too bad Patti Smith didn't wear a proper veil to cover up that horrible hair.

by Anonymousreply 89June 4, 2023 10:26 PM

Yeah, Patti Smith looked awful.

by Anonymousreply 90June 4, 2023 10:27 PM

Patti Smith looked bad. Her teeth were even worse than her hair. Years of drugs I guess.

by Anonymousreply 91June 4, 2023 10:29 PM

Queen Letizia meeting Pope: wearing white, no head covering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 4, 2023 10:31 PM

That first picture was not a state visit…she wasn’t queen. Francis doesn’t care about the veil, as he loosened the protocol. She’s wearing a veil in the second pic, where she was queen.

by Anonymousreply 93June 4, 2023 10:35 PM

Nancy Pelosi with the Pope. No head covering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94June 4, 2023 10:35 PM

Sorry for the preview photo (Melania Trump). But here's a nice assortment of royalty and political figures meeting the Popes throughout the years, including Princess Grace of Monaco & Camilla. Babs Bush, again, in that doily.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 4, 2023 10:36 PM

Nancy is in church with him, it isn’t an official visit. Francisco is cool with it.

by Anonymousreply 96June 4, 2023 10:44 PM

Camilla's veil doesn't look good.

Letizia looks fabulous in white. I guess it helps that she's model thin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 4, 2023 10:48 PM

Camilla has the same rough looking skin issue that Jill Biden has.

by Anonymousreply 98June 4, 2023 10:57 PM

Seeing the photo at R97 also makes me so tired of the same hairstyle Camilla has been sporting for the past 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 99June 4, 2023 11:04 PM

What a bullshit tradition, especially if you aren't a catholic.

It's like demanding women wear a burkha to meet Arabic world leaders - what's the difference. Hint: We ALL know what the difference is for people kowtowing to the pope.

by Anonymousreply 100June 4, 2023 11:08 PM

No it’s not like where a burka

It is like covering your hair, or taking off your shoes, in a mosque. Its wearin a yarmulke in synagogue. It’s respect, that is all.

by Anonymousreply 101June 4, 2023 11:14 PM

It's ridiculous, and I believe Pope Francis has discouraged it.

Now for the snark...

Let's spot the gay bishop in the photo of Jackie Kennedy and John XXIII

Look at the puss n Francis with those grifters

Hillary Clinton looks like she's on her way to milk a cow.

Where did Ivanka get that headdress? The Vermont Country Store? It looks like one of those domes you put atop the macaroni salad at the church picnic, so the flies don't get at it.

by Anonymousreply 102June 4, 2023 11:16 PM

[quote]Its wearin a yarmulke in synagogue. It’s respect, that is all.

That's why Babs Bush looks fine to me. Reminds me of the round lace thing women pin to their hair for Jewish funerals. You don't have to do a hijab, just cover the keppe as respect

by Anonymousreply 103June 4, 2023 11:21 PM

Ivanka's veil looks a whole lot better than Melania's, BonniePrinceCharlie.

by Anonymousreply 104June 4, 2023 11:28 PM

[quote] It's ridiculous, and I believe Pope Francis has discouraged it.

I don't care if he discourages it. When my wife and I visit him at the Vatican, she'll be wearing a lovely dress and head covering.

by Anonymousreply 105June 4, 2023 11:28 PM

Too bad Jared in the photo at R1 can't be bothered to button his jacket and the bottom of his tie is his showing.

by Anonymousreply 106June 4, 2023 11:32 PM

President Cheeto looks fabulous in R1 with the fake tan and the pee-yellow dyed hair.

by Anonymousreply 107June 4, 2023 11:33 PM

At some point, it will seem ridiculous that women had to dress a certain way to meet the Pope. It’s been decades of digging up dirt on the Catholic church abuse cover-ups. The Popes seem like they are oblivious.

by Anonymousreply 108June 4, 2023 11:34 PM

.... and the bottom of his tie is showing.

by Anonymousreply 109June 4, 2023 11:35 PM

Perhaps, R104, but Melania's bottomed and facelifted face ruins the whole look.

What these first ladies and crowned heads lack is an eye-patched Roman aristocrat in a ruff to escort them to their audience with His Holiness:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 4, 2023 11:50 PM

[QUOTE]I love how Pope Francis is intentionally scowling in the Trump picture. You can tell he absolutely despises them.

R77 - The Pope also heavily shaded Trump for the press to hear. He basically called him fat. He asked Melabia "What have you been feeding him, ____?" (name of some fattening Slovenian dish)

by Anonymousreply 111June 5, 2023 3:23 AM

I love that Pope Francis was bitchy with the Trumps.

by Anonymousreply 112June 5, 2023 5:23 AM

No, you have to have a dress code, R108, or Pam Anderson will show up like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 5, 2023 6:11 AM

[quote] Too bad Jared in the photo at [R1] can't be bothered to button his jacket

Much as I hate Jared and the whole Trumpian klan, r106, you *never* do up all your buttons on a jacket. At least one has to be left undone, and it looks like his jacket only has two buttons.

by Anonymousreply 114June 5, 2023 10:01 AM

Where’s our resident expert on Catholicism?

He’s stuck in the Bundt cake thread, but I’m sure he’ll make an appearance from the 02116.

by Anonymousreply 115June 5, 2023 10:23 AM

You button just one button on either a two or three button suit jacket.

by Anonymousreply 116June 5, 2023 10:24 AM

Well, R114, having one button buttoned and having the tip of your tie showing looks sloppy.

by Anonymousreply 117June 5, 2023 12:17 PM

It's called a mantilla, you heathens. Most Catholic women kept one folded up in a little fake silk pouch in the purse. You couldn't go into church without it. I thought you have to be a papist to get the vibe right but Mother Pence is working it the right way.

by Anonymousreply 118June 5, 2023 1:06 PM

I found the white mantilla from my aunt's Communion in our house when I was a child. I thought it made my dolls look very glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 119June 5, 2023 1:14 PM

Laura Bush pulls it off, Jill is okay.

Michelle looks like a nun.

Ivanka is wearing a black version of the veil that burlesque dancers used to wear when they did the "wedding night" number. She still manages to look whorish.

Nancy Reagan looks like she going to a costume party.

by Anonymousreply 120June 5, 2023 1:18 PM

Looking at R3 gives you a clue as to why Hillary loves those pantsuits.

by Anonymousreply 121June 5, 2023 1:38 PM

Unfortunately there's no longer an Empress of Brazil, because when there was she had the rare [italic]privilège du fruits,[/italic] which allowed her to meet the Holy Father wearing a basket of fruit atop her head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 5, 2023 5:05 PM

You bitches forget about me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123June 6, 2023 1:33 PM

Must be a ghost, because that’s not Mamie.

by Anonymousreply 124June 6, 2023 1:54 PM

R113 - is that Kid Rock in the pic with Pam Anderson?

by Anonymousreply 125June 6, 2023 2:09 PM

Yes, R125. He's kind of scrawny. He needs to work out and get bigger pecs. It's an old photo.

by Anonymousreply 126June 6, 2023 6:13 PM

I didn't think so, R124. She looks a lot younger than Ike.

by Anonymousreply 127June 6, 2023 6:14 PM

You think that’s Mamie? No. Reread my post.

by Anonymousreply 128June 6, 2023 6:23 PM

I'm agreeing with you that that lady in R123's photo isn't Mamie, R128. She looks too young and too attractive to be Mamie.

by Anonymousreply 129June 6, 2023 6:30 PM

R4 Mrs Obama had the same nails. It's an American thing.

by Anonymousreply 130June 6, 2023 6:36 PM

Michelle is too short-waisted for her outfit. She shouldn't have the belt so high.

by Anonymousreply 131June 6, 2023 7:09 PM

R131 Yeah, I thought the belt thing looked weird.

by Anonymousreply 132June 6, 2023 10:58 PM

[QUOTE]Melabia

The "n" is next to the "b" on the keyboard so not a Freudian slip, right?

by Anonymousreply 133June 6, 2023 11:05 PM

[quote]I wonder if women who aren't Catholic are granted more leeway

Which of these First Ladies were actually Catholic? Just Jackie Kennedy and Jill Biden, right? Any others?

by Anonymousreply 134June 6, 2023 11:40 PM

Only those two, r134. No other US presidents than JFK and Biden were Catholic. No Protestant president was married to a Catholic wife.

by Anonymousreply 135June 6, 2023 11:43 PM

R134 - I think you’re right. JFK was first Catholic elected to the presidency (many thought that could never happen in America) and Joe Biden is the second, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 136June 6, 2023 11:44 PM

Jill Biden is not Catholic. She chooses to accompany her husband to Mass as a devout perdón of a different faith. In other words, she has never made a public statement of any conversion to Catholicism.

by Anonymousreply 137June 6, 2023 11:52 PM

—person

by Anonymousreply 138June 6, 2023 11:53 PM

You ‘believe,’ you think Biden might only be the 2nd Catholic president? Everyone else knows for sure … Jesus H Christ

by Anonymousreply 139June 6, 2023 11:55 PM

R135 is full of shit. Melania Knauss was baptized and confirmed as a Roman Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 140June 6, 2023 11:57 PM

Melania was baptized and confirmed as an Eastern Bloc hooker.

by Anonymousreply 141June 7, 2023 12:11 AM

^ but still Catholic 🫥

by Anonymousreply 142June 7, 2023 12:12 AM

R10, Lucie converted to Catholicism at 18 and her veil was a sign of her Catholicism.

"Mo' respect."

by Anonymousreply 143June 7, 2023 12:11 PM

It looks like this good Catholic man will be POTUS. I'm already contacting the Vatican to make plans for my visit along with my lovely wife.

by Anonymousreply 144June 9, 2023 2:52 PM

Of all these pics, Princess Diana looked the best. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 145June 10, 2023 3:22 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146June 10, 2023 3:26 AM

The photo's of the Trumps and Biden's would look perfect in our house!

by Anonymousreply 147June 10, 2023 4:25 AM

R5 He was annoyed because she asked him—yet again—if she was going to hell for killing that guy with her car.

by Anonymousreply 148June 10, 2023 4:37 AM

[quote] Michelle looks like a nun.

Her dress reminded me a bit of what Sister Mary Robert wore in the Sister Act movies.

by Anonymousreply 149June 10, 2023 5:18 AM

[quote] Ivanka: why was she always everywhere?

She was Daddy's favorite and probably went to various events to shove it in Don Jr and Eric's faces.

by Anonymousreply 150July 8, 2023 8:11 PM

I would expect that for famous visitors neither the Pope nor the papal offices actually require the head coverings; it's just people finding out for themselves what the etiquette is ahead of time and deciding to follow it (or in the case of Angelina Jolie, not doing so). I doubt the Pope is going to banish either Jolie or Queen Rania from his presence for wearing the wrong thing.

It's like when people used to meet Queen Elizabeth II--there were protocols they were supposed to follow (such as not turning their backs on the queen, or touching her, or taking the lead in conversation with her), and her staff would cringe if the visitors did it wrong; but the Queen herself would actually never correct people nor would she let her staff correct people (if she knew about it). She was far too polite.

The point of true etiquette is not to enforce protocols on other people. Princess Margaret, of course, would correct people loudly and humiliatingly all the time when they didn't follow "the rules": but everyone agreed she was a rude cunt.

by Anonymousreply 151July 8, 2023 8:38 PM

[quote]U.S. First Ladies and visits with Popes. Who wore the black dress and veil well and who didn't?

To be fair, Cardinal Spellman wore it the best.

by Anonymousreply 152July 8, 2023 8:58 PM

R151, I hear what you're saying, but it was a lot easier for QE and Princess Anne to be magnanimous. They grew up on pedestals and, for the most part, were treated with utmost respect and deference. They're not gonna bother trying to correct some yahoo who doesn't know the protocol.

by Anonymousreply 153July 8, 2023 9:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!