Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I LOVE awards show surprise wins

Is anyone else in my camp. Look, I enjoy the horse race as much as the next gay, but with the massive awards show complex that exists now, I also love it when a surprise 'dark horse' or 'upset' wins a big awards (Oscar, Tony, Emmy, Grammy.)

I have my own personal preferences and it's nice to see great work recognized, but I've never bought into this notion that someone 'deserves' an award. If someone has been nominated by the body that gives the award, they automatically "deserve" to win in my book.

Sometimes, there's a weird sense of entitlement. Instead, why not enjoy the spotlight you've gotten from a nomination and just go along for the ride.

It was a treat to see Olivia Coleman win her Oscar (and what a great speech!)

Or, to see Mark Rylance win over the presumed winner Sly Stone (Sly was great and a 'career win' would have been lovely to see, I know, but that's not the way the cookie crumbled)

Or, of course, Anthony Hopkins winning over Chadwick Boseman. Chadwick was a fine actor, he seemed to be a genuinely lovely man and he fought his illness with courage and dignity, so of course a posthumous Oscar would have been lovely. But, it was also lovely to see that surprise win for Anthony Hopkins (who was bloody marvelous.)

Marisa Tomei was treated so poorly after her Oscar win for her funny and charming work in My Cousin Vinny just because it wasn't a 'prestige' film and because she beat several old dames.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 7:45 PM

I only like surprises when the winner actually deserved to win over the others.

I can't stand "surprises" when some dark horse wins because the vote is split between equally deserving nominees, which leaves the least deserving nominee holding the trophy.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 4:00 PM

I love surprise wins too. I enjoyed the whole Oscars experience more in the pre-internet era, before the races became overly dissected.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 4:26 PM

It was a real treat to see Cher win.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 4:34 PM

I'll cut you OP.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 5:37 PM

sign r4 as G

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 5:38 PM

I'm laughing at myself because I thought that was a pic of Liza winning for Cabaret!

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 7:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!