Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greg! I need cake help!

My birthday is Friday, June 9, and my niece wanted to make me a cake, so I said "A Seventies bundt cake!" just for something different. I don't think I've had one since the Late 80s maybe.

I found this recipe but it has powered sugar as the topping. From the Seventies, I seem to remember some kind of icing drizzled over the top instead.

Greg, you're old, too, as I am, so what do you think completes the cake better? I want it to be as Authentic Seventies as possible. Any suggestions?

I never read any of your recipes with all those wet concoctions, but I love to read your threads for the drama. I don't even know if you bake!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2023 3:10 PM

I have no contribution to the baking dilemma but I am here to say that my mother used to call our dog Marble Cupcakehead and I miss them both dearly.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 3:34 PM

Happy to help, OP!

What do you mean by “ I never read any of your recipes with all those wet concoctions?”

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 3:41 PM

I don't know, because of all the fish you use? For me, fish is its own dish, not mixed with or touching any thing else. Shark steak, not chopped up cod with leeks, or something like that.

Anyway, any help with an authentic Seventies Bundt Cake?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 3:49 PM

Give it a rest, GapPlaylists.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 3:50 PM

See this, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 3:51 PM

And this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 3:51 PM

Shouldn’t the person baking the cake find the recipe?

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 3:52 PM

R7, my niece is making it for me for my birthday. I get to choose the icing.

Thanks, Greg, r5 looks great! I will send her the link.

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2023 3:55 PM

Hmm... r5 is just instructions on the glazing. I wonder what kind of glaze that is.

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2023 3:57 PM

Happy to oblige!

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2023 3:57 PM

[quote] Hmm... [R5] is just instructions on the glazing. I wonder what kind of glaze that is.

What kind do you want?

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2023 3:58 PM

The vanilla one you linked at r6 looks fine.

Thank you for your help!

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2023 4:01 PM

Never understood what was great about bundt cake. Please explain! Not lusci ous, exactly.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2023 4:06 PM

I thought someone on here said Gap Playlist Guy and Greg were the same person?

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2023 4:07 PM

You'll try a Bundt cake. Right, like it's some big experiment. Like you got no idea what it tastes like. Like you don't shovel it in by the pound every chance you get.

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2023 4:11 PM

[quote] I thought someone on here said Gap Playlist Guy and Greg were the same person?

And? People say all sorts of crazy things out here.

Haven’t you heard that I am also GermanGayGuy and DeFacto?

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2023 4:11 PM

R16 No

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2023 4:13 PM

Yellow cake is the work of Satan ... or at least one of his major minions.

I just needed to make that known.

👹

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2023 5:57 AM

Yummm. Cake!

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2023 6:29 AM

Happy to help, OP!

As long as we talk about meeee!

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2023 6:36 AM

R14, they are.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2023 6:39 AM

R20, did we talk about me in this thread?

Wow. You’re pretty stupid it seems.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2023 10:21 AM

G

GpG

GGG

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2023 10:22 AM

[quote] [R14], they are.

Yes, R21 & R14, GapPlaylists and I are one and the same.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2023 10:23 AM

Fuck you OP, now I want cake.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2023 10:28 AM

I don't care for Bundt cake but one time I made the most delicious Bundt coffee cake. I was working with Habitat for Humanity and took a cake in one morning for the guys. I set it on the table and 15 minutes later thought I better go get a piece before it's gone. I went in the kitchen and there was the empty plate. Record time: less than 15 minutes and it was gone.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2023 10:33 AM

Density something, something, ratio of surface to interior yada yada.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2023 11:24 AM

I like Bundt cake. I didn't like it as a kid because I expected cake to be airy and fluffy and to have a reasonably thick roof of frosting.

I rarely eat it or any cake now, but I like that it's dense and chewier and drier, and I like the more subtle hardened-sugar glaze that soaks in a little and creates a crust.

I made a Bundt cake for the first time during the pandemic and I thought I made the recipe wrong because the batter was more doughlike. The recipe explcitly stated that it would be thick but I had to kind of push it down into the pan. It was really good, though—so good I ended up putting what was left in the trash immediately because I was isolated I couldn't stop eating it.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2023 11:31 AM

My dad died a few months after my parents retired to a small town in Virginia 30 or so years ago. Within 24 hours of his passing, we had received trays of fried chicken and at least 10 Bundt Cakes from people they barely knew. No other sweets -- just Bundts.

I was surprised by the generosity of a small southern town but more that Virginia women knew that Bereavement = Bundt + Chicken. I grew up a Yankee Episcopalian, and neither Bundt nor fried chicken were part of our lexicon.

I'm not sure if Bundt is still a Virginia funeral thing or not.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2023 11:48 AM

Looking forward to the Bundt Cake on Friday! 🎆 🎈

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2023 12:17 PM

Neighbors bring food with death, flowers with sickness, and little things in between R29.

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2023 5:53 PM

Bundt cakes make me horny. It must be the hole and the white iced frosting dripping down between the curved shapes of the cake, like cum between ass cheeks stop me I'm shaking!

by Anonymousreply 32June 6, 2023 12:38 AM

You, R32, are a PIG

by Anonymousreply 33June 7, 2023 6:24 PM

Be the Greg you want you see.

by Anonymousreply 34June 7, 2023 6:44 PM

[quote] Be the Greg you want you see.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 35June 7, 2023 8:37 PM

GapPlaylists: I think you are up to no good.

by Anonymousreply 36June 7, 2023 10:42 PM

Read my comments on the other threads.

Just making fun of the rubes here on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 37June 7, 2023 10:43 PM

jesus, icing is confectioners' sugar a liquid and maybe flavoring to a drizzle consistency.

by Anonymousreply 38June 7, 2023 10:58 PM

R31 - you made my day!

by Anonymousreply 39June 7, 2023 11:03 PM

My birthday is tomorrow. We're nearly birthday twins, OP.

by Anonymousreply 40June 7, 2023 11:46 PM

[quote] You, [R32], are a PIG

Eat the hole of the bundt cake between my legs, R33! And then try one of the hundreds of cake recipes in my new book, "Cathy Mitchell Takes a Dump(cake)"!

by Anonymousreply 41June 8, 2023 12:10 AM

I want a white wedding cake like they used to make with the white icing. YUMM

by Anonymousreply 42June 8, 2023 12:35 AM

Bundt! Yum!

by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2023 3:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!