Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Problemista' (2023)

Written and directed by Julio Torres, with Tilda Swinton, Isabella Rossellini, Greta Lee.

[quote]Alejandro is an aspiring toy designer from El Salvador struggling to bring his unusual ideas to life in NY. As time runs out on his work visa, a job assisting an erratic art-world outcast becomes his only hope to stay in the country.

Torres seems like an imaginative homo, but also well-connected, let's be real. It's been interesting watching his meteoric rise with his own TV show and now his own movie. Good for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2024 9:47 AM

I saw a preview for this last week when I went to see Julia Louis Dreyfus’s new movie. Looks good.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 2:37 PM

r1 What does a preview look like? Is it an extended trailer or the first 15 minutes or what?

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 2:40 PM

I love him! He's so great on Los Espookys.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 3:32 PM

This looks really good, OP. And quite unlike the average movie. I only know him from his writing on SNL and his comedy special. I wasn't even aware of Los Espookys. Will have to check that out!

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 4:03 PM

Oh my god, R4, I am so jealous of you that you get to watch Los Espookys for the first time. It's a great show, it's mainly in Spanish though. His character is so perfect. A gay, rich, fashionista who enjoys the macabre and runs a jump scare type business with his friends. It's awesome too because his being gay is no big deal and his family is fine with it too. It's just a weird, delightful show.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 4:07 PM

R5 - sold! Will add it to my list on Max. Still feels weird not to say HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 5:08 PM

I didn't like his special, or Los Espookys (I only watched season 1). But I do think he's an interesting guy who has the potential to do some really good work. This trailer looks promising.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 5:15 PM

I want to hate fuck the character Jose Pablo Minor plays in “Los Espookeys” - a handsome moron who is a douche.

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2023 5:26 PM

Anyone see it this weekend? It finally got released.

by Anonymousreply 9March 4, 2024 2:09 PM

It's on a very limited release until it goes wide on March 24

by Anonymousreply 10March 4, 2024 2:15 PM

he cute and very clever

by Anonymousreply 11March 4, 2024 2:19 PM

Tight bod.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 4, 2024 2:26 PM

OP, doesn't one have to actually have been heard of to have a "meteoric rise?" Who the fuck is this guy?

Perhaps it was aborted since the film has clearly been on the shelf for close to a year.

by Anonymousreply 13March 4, 2024 2:27 PM

I believe the delay in its release was strike-related.

by Anonymousreply 14March 4, 2024 2:30 PM

Finally released this weekend.

Saw his standup on Fallon and loved it. Plus he wrote the wonderful SNL skit, “Wells for Boys.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 4, 2024 2:50 PM

Wells for Boys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 4, 2024 2:55 PM

The pink hair tells me everything I need to know.

Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 17March 4, 2024 2:56 PM

r13 I said what I said, now can it.

by Anonymousreply 18March 4, 2024 3:37 PM

Don't blame me if you're an idiot, OP.

by Anonymousreply 19March 4, 2024 3:40 PM

Don't blame me if you're not knowledgeable about celebs' careers, r19.

Now please, back to the movie at hand, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 20March 4, 2024 3:42 PM

What movie? The one no one's heard of? How meteoric.

by Anonymousreply 21March 4, 2024 3:44 PM

I loved Problemista and "Wells For Boys" but that's all I know of Torres - I'm kind of shocked he is in a relationship with that hottie James Scully but I guess that's superficial of me. It's good to find yourself a funny man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 4, 2024 3:47 PM

Who the fuck is James Scully? Is there anyone in this thread who is actually famous?

by Anonymousreply 23March 4, 2024 3:48 PM

R22 Julio could date up or down in looks, because he's not bad looking himself. What's shocking?

by Anonymousreply 24March 4, 2024 3:55 PM

To be honest OP I hadnt heard of Julio Torres until now, he's very cute

by Anonymousreply 25March 4, 2024 4:42 PM

Plus the film has DL icon Tilda Swinton. According to the NYT review, which was mixed, she steals the show.

by Anonymousreply 26March 4, 2024 6:10 PM

Tilda is a queer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2024 9:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!