Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone remember this airline incident?

Where the roof ripped off the plane, and they were still able to land?

It was in my YouTube recommendations, and I watched the video.

This is completely terrifying!!

I can't imagine any of the people on this plane ever wanting to fly again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 5:41 PM

The late 1970's and 1980's were a horrible time for air travel.

American Airlines DC-10 crash in Chicago right before take off in 1979.

Pan Am flight 103 blown up over Lockerbie, Scotland in 1988.

This flight mentioned in the op's video in 1988.

United Airlines flight 811 to Australia in 1989 where the fuselage door gets blown out and sucks out passengers through the resulting hole.

Tenerife, Spain runway crash in the Canary Islands in 1977.

Japan Airlines flight 123 crashed into a mountain in 1985.

It was a scary time to fly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 9:05 AM

Tenerife crash was stupid human error.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 9:11 AM

Delta Flight 1141 crash in Dallas, in 1988.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 9:14 AM

I remember landing this plane.

The pilots were ill-equipped for the scenario and the call came out over the PA for someone to step up and save the passengers. I thought about my mother who died in the World Trade Center collapse, as well as my gay workmates who were killed during the Pulse Nightclub Massacre and I said to myself;

“Not again. Not on my watch.”

That was the day I realized I was ‘Jew-ish’ and my skills as a college level volleyballer were going to make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 9:22 AM

R1 Since the video you posted clearly shows American Airlines flight 191 in the air, how could it possibly have crashed BEFORE takeoff? What actually happened was the engine separated from the aircraft during its takeoff run causing the aircraft to crash shortly AFTER takeoff. The cause was found to be faulty maintenance procedures by American Airlines.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 10:58 AM

R2, I think it was more like human arrogance and impatience on the part of the Dutch captain. What is interesting about airplane crashes is that it is often a series of things going wrong that ultimately ends in the crash.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 11:13 AM

Yes, I remember. But most disturbingly, it appeared in my YouTube feed this morning too…

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 5:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!