Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beyonce & Jay Z dragged for mocking Tina Turner’s abuse

'They made a mockery of her horrific abuse': Tina Turner fans BLAST Beyoncé and Jay-Z for vile reference to Ike Turner's treatment of his late wife in 2013 hit Drunk In Love

Tina Turner fans have slammed Beyoncé and Jay-Z for the reference to the late star's abuse at the hands of her husband Ike Turner in their 2013 hit Drunk In Love.

In the track, Jay raps: 'I'm Ike, Turner, turn up / Baby no I don't play / Now eat the cake, Anna Mae / I said eat the cake, Anna Mae' - which led to a fan tweeting: 'a tragic example of #TinaTurner being mocked & her abuse being dismissed.

The lyric references a well-documented moment in which Tina, still going by the name Anna Mae, was in a diner and when fans asked for her autograph and not his, he attacked her by forcing cake in her mouth and saying: 'Eat the cake, Anna Mae!'

Following Beyoncé's references to Tina being her music idol, Twitter was flooded with anger from fans, with users penning: 'Drunk In Love was a tragic example of the incomparable #TinaTurner being mocked & her abuse being dismissed.

Fans took to Twitter in droves, to write: 'I still can't get over Jay Z saying 'eat the cake Anna Mae, eat the cake' on 'Drunk In Love'. When I found out that it was reference to Ike forcing Tina to eat literal cake..a damn shame...

'Still mad at beyonce and jay z for that tina turner abuse reference... I love Bey but she rubs me the wrong way sometimes. How is Tina Turner one of your biggest inspirations but you were ok with Jay Z using that line in Drunk in Love...

'I was so disgusted when I understood the reference. Stopped listening to Drunk in Love for that reason alone... 'Drunk In Love,' was a tragic example of the incomparable #TinaTurner being mocked & her abuse being dismissed...

'While Jay Z sang the lyrics mocking Tina, #Beyonce obviously cosigned Tina's horrific abuse being made a mockery of & put that song on her album...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2023 3:17 PM

Yes, the existing threads have lots of info, OP

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 3:11 AM

Tina’s response.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 3:11 AM

It's an irreverent reference in a rap lyric nothing to clutch the pearls for.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 3:42 AM

That verse was in such poor taste and I'm confused by why it was included in that song. This is why I roll my eyes at Beyoncé being called this great feminist. But that said, Beyonce and Tina Turner had a good relationship and Beyoncé always paid tribute to Tina. This controversy and discussion was held a decade ago. Let it rest.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 3:51 AM

Tina was harshly judged, mocked and criticized her whole entire life way before Beyoncé. That's why she moved to Europe. She was free from the racism and misogyny she faced in her home country. She was a superstar in Europe. I really doubt she gave a shit about a song lyric. The media needs to stop this shit, bringing up old news to stir up controversy for clicks. Tina didn't care and we all moved on.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 4:09 AM

Sigh. No one cared when the song came out. People focused more on that “surfboard” lyric. This is how we waste millions of dollars as a society, discussing inconsequential crap like this all the time, instead of giving the money to me.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 4:10 AM

*before Beyoncé was born.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 4:10 AM

I'm more offended by her "tribute" to River Deep, Mountain High onstage last week. Only Beyonce could turn that exciting, high-octane song into a morose dirge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2023 2:38 PM

Bey is a very technical singer. She is not emotive or dynamic vocally.

by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2023 2:48 PM

R9 I'll say!

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2023 3:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!