Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dentist pressuring me to remove my wisdom teeth.

I'm 44 and I still have my wisdom teeth. Lately my dentist has been bringing it up every time I visit. I went in for a cleaning Friday and he said "I'll give you one more chance to remove those wisdom teeth." Like a gangster trying to shake me down. I've never had a problem with them so I said firmly I have no intention of getting them pulled. I could tell it pissed him off. I think he's in it for the money.

by Anonymousreply 45June 4, 2023 4:33 AM

Does he say why they should be removed? I agree with you, if they're not causing a problem, why remove them? Doctors (and dentists) are in the business of making money.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 1:44 AM

Does he say why they should be extracted, e.g. gum health?

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 1:47 AM

He said it's too hard to clean them which is bullshit. All four wisdom teeth are fully erupted.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 1:48 AM

If they don’t hurt and aren’t messing up your other teeth by pushing them around then I would leave them.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 1:52 AM

I still have mine.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 1:56 AM

If it ain't broke...

Find another dentist

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 1:59 AM

[quote]I still have mine.

How much would you sell them for?

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 2:00 AM

My husband is a dentist. He says getting rid of wisdom teeth is just cosmetic dentistry if there is no negative impact from them.

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2023 2:03 AM

You’re 44 and you still have wisdom teeth?

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2023 2:06 AM

I still have all 4 of mine, and a couple of them are only partially erupted and are acting as food traps. Of course they’re rotting and need to be removed. I just don’t want to go through the trauma.

Are there dentists who will do the procedure without general anesthesia, but local anesthesia instead? Waking up from general anesthesia is AWFUL.

I’m also 44. I need to get rid of them, because every once in a while I’ll stick my tongue back there to dig a piece of food out, and that foul odor comes loose… mortifying! YUCK!

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2023 2:07 AM

Have you thought about another dentist?

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2023 2:07 AM

Wow, an adult with fully erupted wisdom teeth. That's extremely rare. Something like 90% of Americans get them removed. Do feel any pain or discomfort? If not, why go through it? I had a fairly easy extraction at19, but after healing, having three holes to have to dug food out of was annoying. It took a while for everything to smooth over.

Just monitor and brush and floss. And find another dentist!

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2023 2:07 AM

I'd switch dentists. Why is he threatening you like that for no good reason? The hell with him.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2023 2:08 AM

R10, I had all mine removed with local anesthesia. I don’t know why general anesthesia would be needed.

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2023 2:09 AM

I am 44 and join you sir.

A dental surgeon i visited in 2008 said that my wisdom teeth were so imbedded and fucked up that I would have nerve damage.

I had that 360' degree scan.

FUCK THAT SHIT.

They are still imbedded and will leave the earth with me , as such.

Little cunts.

That dude was an ARMY SURGEON and told me not to bother, so I didn't.

(Cool guy too!!!)

Imbedded is not the word, there is a dental word for it.

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2023 2:11 AM

[quote]Are there dentists who will do the procedure without general anesthesia, but local anesthesia instead? Waking up from general anesthesia is AWFUL.

Yes. I had mine pulled and I was awake the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2023 2:13 AM

Reading these posts now..

Oh fuck that! My bitches are NOT ERUPTED. They are in the jaws. Shit.

You have to watch for tumors.

I am half dead anyway. so this world can eat me.

The surgeon told me I was fucked, and I listened.

I want to feel my face!

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2023 2:14 AM

R25, impacted?

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2023 2:14 AM

I never needed mine pulled. My mouth is quite healthy.

This guy is a quack.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2023 2:14 AM

R18- IMPACTED!!!!

Mine are impossibly impacted to the point my nerves and face will need to be destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2023 2:15 AM

Maybe get a 2nd opinion, OP. There may be a valid reason to get them extracted. Better to do it proactively than to try to do it in an emergency situation.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2023 2:15 AM

Types of impactions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2023 2:16 AM

I'm forty three and also still have all of my wisdom teeth. They've never caused me any issue so I've never even asked about getting them removed and no one's ever suggested it.

I was terrified that I would end up losing all my teeth by the time I was 25 because at that age my dad lost his second set of teeth to some weird third set that grew in but we're so messed up they all had to be pulled so he had dentures ever since.

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2023 2:17 AM

R10, get a water pik and use an antiseptic mouthwash instead of water or a mixture of both.

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2023 2:21 AM

[quote]He said it's too hard to clean them which is bullshit.

Well there's your answer. Your molars are probably so close together that he has a hard time getting betwen them with floss, pick, or scraper, which can lead to plaque buildup, decay, or gum disease.

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2023 2:22 AM

I'm over 50 and still have mine. I've never had a dentist suggest removing them. I use a waterpick because it's too difficult for me to reach them with a toothbrush. If they don't hurt or didn't erupt at some weird angle that inhibits your chewing or cleaning, keep 'em.

by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2023 2:36 AM

So the dentist is an old yellow ivory collector?

Who knew warthog tusks were worth something.

by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2023 2:37 AM

What a coincidence! I didn't know your mother and I had the same dentist!

by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2023 2:39 AM

R10 Better make sure it’s not infected. A deep cleaning might help

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2023 2:41 AM

I'm 62 and have all 4 of my wisdom teeth. They are fully in since mid-teens. Dentist mentioned removing them when I was a teenager, but I never did. My dentist now says I seen to keep them clean and no gum inflammation. She says she sees no reason for them to come out. It is unusual for someone my age to still have all 4 of them.

by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2023 2:41 AM

[quote]Doctors (and dentists) are in the business of making money.

And I suppose your do your job just for the fun of it?

by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2023 2:41 AM

I still have my wisdom teeth AND my tonsils. Never had anything removed from my beautiful body.

by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2023 2:43 AM

^Do you still have your maidenhead?

by Anonymousreply 33June 4, 2023 2:46 AM

So your head is still up your ass?

by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2023 2:47 AM

R32, you sound HOT as HELL

by Anonymousreply 35June 4, 2023 2:47 AM

I had a gap between my front teeth for years, but once my wisdom teeth were yanked, everything filled 8n and straightened out. So there’s a benefit.

by Anonymousreply 36June 4, 2023 2:48 AM

R32, you sound HOT as HELL

by Anonymousreply 37June 4, 2023 2:48 AM

My wisdom teeth never came in, and I have never had any problem whatsoever. My dentist never tried to remove them. I'm totally fine and take care of my teeth all the time. I'm 60.

by Anonymousreply 38June 4, 2023 2:50 AM

Like circumcision, removal of wisdom teeth is unnecessary. If there is an individual issue, then the issue is addressed individually.

Tell your dentist to go pound sand.

by Anonymousreply 39June 4, 2023 2:53 AM

If the teeth are healthy, there is no reason to remove them. Happy chewing!

by Anonymousreply 40June 4, 2023 2:53 AM

Dentists, in my experience nearly all of them, are out to rip as much money out of you and your insurance as they can.

A recent dentist told me that unless I agreed to a list of extras on my scheduled treatment that I risked not getting any treatment at all. The group manager then told me they'd held on to an insurance overpayment for six months at which point I said that at the very least that was unethical. So I got the scheduled treatment and only that treatment.

Left them, went to a new dentist, who proceeded to tell me after an exam that I needed to replace a bridge and several crowns, none of which were giving my any problems and most of which had only been done within the last three years. Total estimate for that work: $14,000.

I live near the Mexican border and will be going to Nogales for my next appointments at half the cost for any new work.

Hold on to your wisdom teeth, OP.

by Anonymousreply 41June 4, 2023 2:57 AM

I had all four wisdom teeth and a molar removed at one time. Horrible experience.

by Anonymousreply 42June 4, 2023 3:28 AM

I'm pretty sick of my dentist, right now. My town doesn't have a lot of dentists, but a friend just gave me a recommendation for someone else (another dentist). I may switch.

by Anonymousreply 43June 4, 2023 3:38 AM

I had mine taken out about 18 years ago.

Actually, I'd had one taken out when I was about 23? The last time, there was one that was impacted and causing me a lot of pain.

The sugeon suggested the other two come out while he was in there; he couldn't get to one of them. I asked for the pieces but I they were so shattered I don't think I kept them.

I do have the one taken out when I was 23. It's still pretty intact; the roots were going out in three different directions.

The dentist had his hand in my mouth trying to take it out; he said it'd be easy and then I hear him go, 'Huh,' when he's got a hold of the tooth and it doesn't come out; I bled and bled.

by Anonymousreply 44June 4, 2023 4:08 AM

Don't do it!... You'll end up dumb as a box of rocks 😳

by Anonymousreply 45June 4, 2023 4:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!