Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Credit Card Fraud

Kind of a throw away thread but I'm curious.

I am a credit card junkie (chasing points/cash back/points), and have been for years. I have 16 credit cards (which I know is ridiculous), but it is what it is.

My post is though in 15 years I've never had a fraudulent charge. I had multiple today (15 $2-$3 charges for Facebook advertising). Amex, to their credit, immeditely shut down my card after the 3rd charge.

I have the card in my possession so it must be a breach of some sort.

My parents have both have one-off issues with their cards (and they are more "normal" 1-2 card people).

Kind of curious how common fraud is.

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2023 3:26 PM

My grub hub account was hacked last week. I got texts that my order in another state had been delivered. Fortunately I had no credit card saved so I think they used my grub hub account for the membership (it was a promo from my bank) and used another stolen credit card to pay for it. They tipped the driver $1 too. That was the worst, who the fuck steals a credit card and then is cheap with the tip?

I use Mint so I can periodically check all my charges easily and flag bad ones. My social security number was stolen when the IRS was hacked a few years ago. So my info is everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2023 12:41 AM

I have only ever had 1 to 2 credit cards at a time. I do average to low amounts of purchases, mostly on the internet. (I'm not a shopaholic. I use my debit card for groceries & everyday things.)

My CC has been broken into maybe 3X.

1st time: Super long time ago. My bank caught it (before I noticed it) as it was a purchase that was out of my usual pattern. I can't remember much about it.

2nd time: eBay had a security breach. At the time, eBay and PayPal were somehow connected, so PayPal got breached. Hence, my CC got breached. Someone purchase $3000 or so worth of iPads and Samsung Galaxy tablets.

3rd time: I believe that a scamming AppleCare (tech support) employee used my CC. He asked for my CC # instead of just letting me punch it into the website. Next thing I know, there are purchases at Domino's pizza and a gas station, of all places.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2023 12:47 AM

About a decade ago my Visa was used to pay for ski lift tickets in New Zealand. My bank refunded the money when I called them and explained I wasn’t actually in that country at that time.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2023 1:07 AM

I play the Points & Miles Game as well, OP. (I have 20 cards, but around half are fee-free.) The one time in my life I had a fraudulent charge, it was 2020 on an Amex business card -- someone in the Netherlands was charging their Netflix subscription to me. Called my rep and it was immediately handled. New cards received within three days. Every single purchase I make (with rare exception) is via credit card, and it's been that way since the late '90s. Out of thousands and thousands of swipes, I've only had one issue. Debit cards, on the other hand -- that's where the horror stories lie.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2023 1:41 AM

This is only a test.

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2023 1:46 AM

R4, what has happened with your debit card? I'd be interested. It's worse to have your debit card broken into than your credit card.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2023 2:03 AM

My info was hacked when TMobile was hacked.

Often times, these companies don't reveal that they've been hacked until much later. I remember Uber tried to pay the hackers off not to use the hacked info etc. So dumb

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2023 2:09 AM

Lock your card. And then go to a local branch to get a new one immediately.

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2023 2:17 AM

There was a period where it seemed to be happening to me a lot. I eventually concluded it was this one gas station that whenever I went there I'd get fake charges. The credit card company noticed them first.

Skimming I think it is called. They stick some thing on the pump that gets the number. (this was pre tap and go.)

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2023 2:17 AM

Several years ago I ordered cup cakes to be delivered to my daughter who was away at college. Several days later I went to the bank for cash and was told I was $5,000 overdrawn. I knew I had about $20,000 in my checking. Turns out someone at the cup cake place used my number. Bought furniture, a TV, airline tickets. The best part was he charged a business luncheon for $12,000. What sort of place would accept that without plastic in hand? Had to be an inside job. Chase was wonderful and refunded all my money the next day. The thief went to jail.

I don't know if one can still do this. You were able to link your Amex card to your bank account and bypass the daily cash limit. I was having a new Amex card overnighted to me. It never got there. Someone opened an account in my name at Citibank and linked the Amex to it. They literally drove down Queens Blvd., stopped at every ATM and withdrew $500 to the tune of $7,000 total.

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2023 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!