Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Los Angeles Rent Control

I got a letter from the state saying that my rent was reported by my landlord as 2500$ a year. The city sent a letter I guess it’s just to confirm this fact. I’ve never had rent control. I moved into a WeHo apartment and the rent is actually 3150$. There is a link to report a discrepancy. Can my landlord get in trouble for telling the state is less than what I’m being charged?

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2023 10:34 PM

Cont’. The building is rent controlled. Sorry if my post is fuzzy I’m tired. Any info appreciated. Will the landlord have to refund money to me for overcharging? Why would they blow all the rent to the state?

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2023 11:25 PM

Why is the dollar sign misplaced?

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2023 11:26 PM

If they aren’t violating the rent control laws it could be they wanted to lower their income for tax purposes and report less income.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2023 11:27 PM

Hopefully your ll is appropriately fined.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2023 11:27 PM

[quote]2500$ a year

You mean a month?

[quote]If they aren’t violating the rent control laws it could be they wanted to lower their income for tax purposes and report less income.

No R3. The OP is saying he pays $3150 and the state thinks he is paying $2500.

Report it.

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2023 11:37 PM

R3, Do you think they will reduce or refund rent overpaid?

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2023 11:37 PM

Thanks r5 -op

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2023 11:38 PM

I sent an email to the landlord asking what the letter was about. They played dumb. I sent a copy of the letter and didn’t show my code or link to report them. They wrote back they will contact me about it. Hmmmm

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2023 11:40 PM

I am op at r8

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 11:40 PM

[quote]Do you think they will reduce or refund rent overpaid?

I've never lived in a rent controlled situation OP, but you know ... it is rent control.

If the landlord is smart he will immediately at least give you rent "credit" for the difference you've paid and charge you $2500 in the future, because he does not want the state of CA asking for his books.

He'd probably ask you to say it was a "misunderstanding", which I would ask for an additional $250 a month discount to agree to.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2023 11:46 PM

Bless you for that info, r10!

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2023 11:47 PM

I noticed recently that this buildings mailing address changed to a Texas address.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2023 11:50 PM

Grifters gonna grift

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2023 12:07 AM

Call or email the West Hollywood Rent Stabilization board, too. They're the ones who report data to the state.

Google it for the email and phone number. Definitely report it to both agencies.

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2023 12:14 AM

In NYC the Department of Housing makes landlords pay back all overages over the course of your rent times three. I was able to get a very large judgment from my landlord, who was illegally subletting his rent controlled (421b) apartment to me. I never followed through to collect the 28,000 because we felt like we had a good deal all along,

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2023 12:22 AM

I once sublet a rent controlled NYC apt. We were paying $1,200 a month (this was in 1984) and for some reason we found out the lease holder was paying about $380 a month. It was one of those freaky 1960s rent controlled leases people used to have and show off about then. I didn't know anything about claiming any money back. I was 20 yrs old.

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2023 12:50 AM

Has anyone else ever deal with something like this?

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2023 4:49 PM

I used to live in a building in LA that had a lot of subletting going on and everyone was very friendly and so on with each other. The system generally was that one person in each unit (usually the person that had been there the longest) paid the rents and the others sent them money to their account each month. One Saturday morning the owner of the building had stopped by and slipped an envelope under each apartments door detailing a rent increase, with the current and new rents written on them. Every single apartment had a situation where the person directly paying rent had adjusted the rent they were charging their housemates so that they were either paying nothing themselves or (in most cases) making a profit. Safe to say it was a very interesting weekend haha.

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2023 5:09 PM

Contact West Hollywood City Hall. Ask for the Human Services and Rent Stabilization division. 323-848-8400

Explain situation to them. They will know how to handle it.

It sounds like you're getting ripped off.

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2023 5:17 PM

R5/ R10 for the WIN! Your landlord is guilty of attempted fraud, specifically, tax evasion. Either the landlord plays ball with you, or report the slimy motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2023 5:58 PM

I’m not good at negotiation. Any advice? I have a lot of anxiety on the phone. I am though, willing to report them. -op

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2023 7:09 PM

Before you do anything, gather copies of your canceled rent checks for proof. Then follow the other advice here.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2023 7:21 PM

If you live in West Hollywood, then you do not live in Los Angeles as far as any rent control applies. You type dumb thread titles.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2023 7:22 PM

R21 Then don't do it over the phone.

Make an appointment to meet with them (Human Services and Rent Stabilization division) in person (if you're more relaxed in person). Bring proof of how much rent you have paid, going back three years if you can (3 is always the magic number). I've always done better in person, eye to eye than over the phone myself.

Same with your landlord - ask to meet him in neutral territory (coffee shop, for example) for a face to face meeting. If he asks you to cover up for him, ask him point blank how would that benefit you. If he says he will lower your rent, have a price discount in mind and double it. So if you're happy with a $250 discount, ask for $500. Both of you will 'settle' at $250.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2023 8:25 PM

R34, this is a big building and nobody would meet me in person the management “works from home” and does email or phone. I’ve only lived here 10 months.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2023 10:23 PM

OP. Are you sure you live in West Hollywood?

A lot of people don't know the exact boundaries. For example, if you're at Fairfax and Melrose, you're in LA. But Fairfax Santa Monica Blvd. is WeHo. But then a half mile north at Fairfax and Sunset is back in LA.

Make sure you know the West Hollywood city boundaries and go to the correct city hall for help.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2023 10:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!