Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite fruits🍎🍌🍊

Let's discuss fruity fruits! I love pineapple, berries, black grapes, pears, and peaches!😋 It's hard to find good peaches they're either too soft or rock hard.

by Anonymousreply 81June 23, 2023 10:50 PM

Pineapple, nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2023 9:36 PM

Pineapple has so much sugar. My doctor has told me to avoid it since I'm pre-diabetic. I'm also to avoid grapes and other tropical fruits, whcih ahve too much sugar,

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2023 9:41 PM

Any fruit is a delicious treat if you get it at peak ripeness. Fruit is only a disappointment when you get some tasteless specimen like supermarket strawberries or mealy apples. There are so many I enjoy: cherries, grapes, bananas, mandarins, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2023 9:44 PM

I don't like watermelon. It tastes like sugar water. But I love cantaloupe.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2023 9:46 PM

persimmons

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2023 9:50 PM

I detest persimmons, guava and anything that has a persimmon like flavour.

I love peaches and cherries.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2023 9:53 PM

I love peaches and cherries

AND

persimmons and guava

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2023 9:56 PM

Bananas

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2023 9:57 PM

Sorry, r8, we have no bananas.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 10:00 PM

There is nothing better than a juicy, fresh, ripe peach. Too bad the season is so short. I bought a bag of ridiculously overpriced Rainer cherries today, and they are amazing. I love grapes, when they’re crispy.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2023 10:00 PM

Mango!

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2023 10:00 PM

Let's hear it for the nectarine!

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2023 10:01 PM

R2- You sound like a Frau. You can eat a modest amount of Pineapple once a week. Pineapple contains something called bromelain which has numerous health benefits.

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2023 10:01 PM

Donuts

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2023 10:01 PM

It's been an absolutely rotten year for grapes, r10.

by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2023 10:02 PM

I love my bananas heavily freckled but still fairly firm but not too firm when I slice them onto a plate and eat them with a fork.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2023 10:02 PM

THIS is my favorite FRUIT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2023 10:03 PM

r16, you sound...dainty.

by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2023 10:04 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2023 10:05 PM

Pome fruits, especially Piñata apples when you can find them. I love baking with plums because the cakes with it require little sugar. Blackberry pie is astounding. Loganberry syrup is a Western New York, super sweet so it has to be ice cold.

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2023 10:05 PM

Who doesn't simply adore cloudberries?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2023 10:11 PM

Plum is underrated

by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2023 10:13 PM

Blueberries all the way. And pears.

by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2023 10:22 PM

I think I’m going to plant a blueberry bush

by Anonymousreply 24June 3, 2023 10:22 PM

A fruit discussing fruit.

by Anonymousreply 25June 3, 2023 10:24 PM

You'll need more than one to get anything out of it

by Anonymousreply 26June 3, 2023 10:26 PM

I watched a couple of YT videos of people who unbox tropical fruits and try them for the first time on camera. I've wanted to buy a box of assorted tropical fruit from companies that import/ship them, but they are so expensive, plus they throw in some varieties that I've already tried (dragonfruit, starfruit) and some I don't want at all (durian, cacao pod) . One day....

by Anonymousreply 27June 3, 2023 10:29 PM

Dragonfruit and starfruit are so meh.

by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2023 10:31 PM

R10 - I picked up a bag of Rainer cherries at The Fresh Market yesterday myself. They were heavenly!

Have y'all had Indian mangoes before? The Indian grocery store near me (Patel Bros. -- I think it's a chain) started selling them. They're very pricy because they have to get flown over to maintain their quality, but kind of worth it. Rich, custardy flavor and super smooth (practically fiberless) flesh. I got a few alphonso and kesar mangoes. So good!

by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2023 10:34 PM

I'm changing my name to Alphonso Mango.

by Anonymousreply 30June 3, 2023 10:41 PM

R10- Did you buy those cherries at Whole Foods. I went to Whole Foods today and bought the same variety of cherries.

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2023 10:41 PM

Counting the days for pluots and plumcots to return to stores.

by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2023 1:18 AM

Ya can't beat a good casaba.

by Anonymousreply 33June 4, 2023 1:48 AM

Mangoes and more mangoes. Nectarines. Apricots. Strawberries.

by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2023 2:16 AM

Bing cherries are my favorite and the most reliably good.

Mangos, nectarines (but they can be mealy). A good apple (not mealy), like an Envy or Honeycrisp or even a Fuji.

by Anonymousreply 35June 4, 2023 2:21 AM

Nectarines are my very favorite but it’s so hard to find good ones anymore.

I also love strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, and tangerines. And I love cherries, grapes, and bananas.

by Anonymousreply 36June 4, 2023 2:32 AM

Razzleberry dressing.

by Anonymousreply 37June 4, 2023 2:48 AM

Nectarines are just knock-off peaches.

by Anonymousreply 38June 4, 2023 2:52 AM

Mr. Burbank would like to have a word with you, r38,

by Anonymousreply 39June 4, 2023 3:01 AM

For those in the U.S. who don't want to pay the premium price or don't have access to Indian mangoes, keep an eye out for Keitt mangoes in late summer / early Fall. They are these green-skinned mangoes (many of which are HUGE). They were originally cultivated in Florida in the early 20th C. but are now grown in other parts of N. and S. America, too. They are closest thing you'll get to Indian mangoes' rich, sweet taste and nearly fibreless flesh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 4, 2023 9:54 AM

keep an eye out for my ass. it's a real peach.

by Anonymousreply 41June 4, 2023 11:17 AM

Prunes are versatile and pair with seafood.

by Anonymousreply 42June 4, 2023 11:22 AM

Most fruits either have little or no flavor or taste sour to me. Strawberries smell deliciously like strawberries to me but taste like shit. Cherries, blueberries, raspberries and kiwis have no flavor unless served with sugar or cream.

The only ones I eat are watermelon (in season), Bosc pears, pineapple, and Gala and Macintosh apples

by Anonymousreply 43June 4, 2023 11:35 AM

R43 - only one I can relate to is blueberries which, when fresh, are so bland to me. But I LOVE blueberries in baked goods -- especially when combined with lemon. Is anyone else a weirdo like me? (Hate the fresh fruit version of a fruit but love it when used as ingredient in prepared or baked goods?)

And, for the record, I love plenty of fresh fruit. But, yeah, blueberries... ick.

by Anonymousreply 44June 4, 2023 12:02 PM

r42 - Hi, Greg! 👋

by Anonymousreply 45June 4, 2023 12:03 PM

[quote](Hate the fresh fruit version of a fruit but love it when used as ingredient in prepared or baked goods?)

Figs.

by Anonymousreply 46June 4, 2023 12:08 PM

Hello, R45.

by Anonymousreply 47June 4, 2023 12:22 PM

Love: Cherries, apples, oranges, tangerines, clementines, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, bananas, pineapples, watermelon, lemons, limes, and I'm sure there are others.

Like: Grapes, cantalouple, honeydew, black and red currants, blackberries (but hate the seeds), tomatoes, eggplants, cucumber.

Can't stand: Mango, peaches, nectarines, cranberries, red peppers

Unfortunate sensitivities:

If I eat too much pineapple or watermelon, my tongue, gums and lips burn sometimes for hours and sometimes for days or weeks, feeling like I am chewing on a jellyfish. Absolute agony so I have to limit how much I eat of these.

Bananas and oranges: Both have always caused tingling and I thought for my entire life that these sensations were normal to eating these foods, like burning is normal from eating chili peppers. Bananas make my tongue and lips tingle but it's not painful. If my mouth touches any part of an orange peel, my lips and a large area around my mouth sting for hours. I always figured that is just from citric acid. But it doesn't happen at all if I just drink orange juice or eat peeled orange wedges.

I can't eat green bell peppers at all. I get heartburn and acid reflux for at least three or four days after eating any amount of green peppers, which sucks, because I love them.

by Anonymousreply 48June 4, 2023 12:55 PM

r48 - your lips burn for WEEKS if you eat too much of certain fruits? That's really bizarre. Has a doctor ever been able to tell you why that is?

by Anonymousreply 49June 4, 2023 3:10 PM

My favorite weekend dinner is apples, pears and grapes with a loaf of piping hot French bread and brie or camembert. Sitting in frot of the TV with a nice bottle of some crisp wine.

My mouth is watering now.

by Anonymousreply 50June 4, 2023 3:22 PM

R49 For weeks on three occasions so far. Usually it's for a couple of days. And it is usually if I overdo it. I ate a lot of watermelon for about a week one time and then it happened.

There are a few likely reasons.

The most obvious is called "burning mouth syndrome." The name is self-explanatory. The syndrome name describes a symptom but not a cause. It happens to a fair number of people, sometimes seemingly spontaneously and sometimes triggered by foods. It may be an immune system problem or a nervous system problem.

The second is that certain fruits, including bananas, pineapple and melon, have generally high allergy and sensitivity rates among people because they carry pollen that causes common allergies.

Pineapple also has an enzyme called bromelian that effectively...digests similarly to how saliva digests. So a lot of people get a burning mouth if they eat too much pineapple, but in that case it is effectively because the pineapple they were eating digested their mouths while they were eating it. So yeah.

Finally, in my case, it's most likely because I have an immunological disorder called mast cell activation syndrome, or MCAS. It causes my cells that contain histamine, cytokines and other inflammatory mediators to be overly sensitive and cause general inflammation/anaphylaxis when triggered. Heat, exercise, NSAIDs and various foods cause me to get anaphylaxis unless I am properly medicated, and there are still some breakthrough events due to exposure to these things. Being in high heat for a long time always causes me to get hives all over my body, tachycardia, a runny nose, acid reflux and sometimes diarrhea, whether I am medicated or not. Sometimes I get extreme tremors as if I have Parkinson's. A lot of people who have MCAS get burning mouth often. I get it infrequently. But I am better off with foods than most people who have MCAS are. Many are highly allergic to most foods and some are so allergic that they have feeding tubes because any food passing down their esophagus will trigger anaphylaxis and close their airway totally.

The chronic inflammation of oral tissue also has caused me a ton of dental problems, including a couple of teeth just dying without any physical damage to the tooth, probably from the roots being compressed too many times from inflamed tissue.

It kinda sucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 4, 2023 3:22 PM

A firm crisp blueberry. I noticed lately the quality of blueberries has improved at Walmart and Sam's Club. They are fresh and not mushy, with a lovely flavor.

by Anonymousreply 52June 4, 2023 3:35 PM

r51 - that's awful. Sorry you've experienced that.

by Anonymousreply 53June 4, 2023 3:57 PM

I used to have the reactions r51 speaks of to melons and oranges. It never lasted longer than a couple of hours. And then it went away. I still wonder how I'm going to react anytime I eat an orange, and I don't bother much with melon, though I do like watermelon.

Overall, I find produce, especially fruit, the most disappointing of the food categories. Berries are often quite sour. It's practically impossible to get a good tomato, pear, or peach, even at Whole Foods, and they have made it clear to me that they do not give one single fuck how I like their produce.

I bought two pears at WFM about two weeks ago. One turned almost immediately to inedible mush, and the other never lost its rock-hard consistency/texture.

It makes me reach for reliable foods like carbs.

by Anonymousreply 54June 4, 2023 4:04 PM

R54 I only buy frozen wild blueberries now. They are so much better.

I can honestly take or leave fresh tomato, but since I've started buying ugly heirloom tomatoes, I've become more of a fan. The standard ones are not even worth it to me, although I will eat a slice if it comes on a burger etc. Heavy, dense heirloom tomatoes are practically a different food than beefsteaks and cherry tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 55June 4, 2023 4:11 PM

I ate a whole pineapple one and had sores in my mouth. It was from too much citric acid.

by Anonymousreply 56June 4, 2023 4:39 PM

R56 No, it was from bromelian. [quote] The reason your tongue becomes irritated when eating the tropical fruit is because of a pesky enzyme called bromelain. What this enzyme does is essentially digest the protein on your tongue as you eat, causing that tingling sensation you get in your mouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 4, 2023 4:46 PM

I ❤❤❤❤❤ Apples.

by Anonymousreply 58June 4, 2023 5:39 PM

I like to hit the fruit salad after getting a glass of (unfortunately too often) cheap wine being served at a casual picnic, throwing in the fruit, it's nice to have on a hot day, and the fruit helps the wine be a bit more tolerable.

by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2023 5:42 PM

[quote] Cherries, blueberries, raspberries and kiwis have no flavor unless served with sugar or cream.

Cherries? They're (bing / Ranier) pretty sweet to begin with. I can't see adding sugar to cherries or needing cream.

by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2023 5:44 PM

I love frozen wild blueberries in cold white wine or bubbly. They keep it cold, they don't melt and they add a subtle berry flavor and you can finish with a superfood and pretend the drink was healthfu!

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2023 5:45 PM

Cherries and raspberries have no flavor?!

I don't say this a as a joke because I have been there: the person who wrote this is probably addicted to sugar. Go on a sugar-free diet to break the addiction (the withdrawal is terrible) and real food will taste much more flavorful.

Blueberry flavor is slight but it gets better when you cook them, and they should need only a tiny bit of sugar and salt, maybe cinnamon, to bring the flavor to life.

by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2023 5:47 PM

[quote]Cherries and raspberries have no flavor?!

I'm not the poster at whom you're shrieking, but it is my experience as well that raspberries can have very little flavor. Not always—they are my favorite fruit—but yeah, raspberries can be pretty bland at times.

When I don't like blueberries, it's because they're so sour. It's not always the case, but they can be pretty unpleasant. Raspberries are much more dependable. I almost always have raspberries on hand.

Cherries I like in season.

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2023 6:08 PM

Is there anything more depressing than getting a nice looking piece of fruit and it being terrible? You take it home and wash it, anticipating the fresh, juicy taste and you get a horrible dud - no flavor, or overripe or rotting inside. Ugh.

I had seen passionfruit on a lot of cooking shows and was curious to try them, so when I saw them in this large market, I got them... and they weren't cheap. Another problem is how do you tell if they're ripe or not? Oh well, gonna try anyway. So disappointed - they were not good and this has curtailed my trying other tropical fruits. I had the same experience with fresh figs that were horrible. Took a chance and got zero reward.

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2023 6:09 PM

I only buy peaches in season from local farmers markets or roadside stands.

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2023 6:11 PM

Thanks, Ina.

by Anonymousreply 66June 4, 2023 6:19 PM

Never had a cloudberry until we went to Lapland Doris/R21 and now I am a big fan. When I was in Newfoundland it was bake apple season and being neutral on apples I paid no attention until I realized it was their term for cloudberries. (sadly close to the end of the trip.)

Favorites- raspberries, nectarines, blueberries, honey dew melon, apricots

Gross - bananas, watermelon and ripe mango

I love the flat bottom persimmons (Jiro??) but get a cottony mouth sensation and numbness from the oval ones.

by Anonymousreply 67June 4, 2023 6:45 PM

Love most fruits. On my land I grow honeyberries (can't be found in stores), raspberries, alpine white wood strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries, currants, peaches, plums, apricots, pears, grapes and quince. I planted pawpaws and have been trying to get them to grow and fruit, but they're in a hostile spot and not native to this area, so so far, no dice..

Most fruits have a definite season, and should only be eaten then for best flavor and texture. It's craziness to buy a peach in January, or a cherry in November and expect those to taste like anything. Tropical fruits are an exception. Apples are bred now for long storage, and growers have also worked out the exact correct temperatures for maintaining their qualities for months, so you can find good ones almost year round. Only in mid-late summer do they start to get mealy (most apples are harvested in Sept and October). Any peach picked from a tree by yourself is going to be infinitely better than one bought at a store. But if you live in a peach growing state and can go to a farm stand, you are bound to get good peaches.

In order, starting in June, these are the times for buying fruit in the northern parts of the US. Late May and early June rhubarb (technically not a fruit, but great in pies), Late June, strawberries and raspberries, early July, cherries, late July apricots and blueberries, August, late apricots, plums and early peaches, late August, watermelons and other melons, September, grapes, mid-season peaches, pears, early apples, more melons, October, late peaches, peak apple season, grapes. November, all done.

by Anonymousreply 68June 4, 2023 6:49 PM

R58 same!

by Anonymousreply 69June 20, 2023 11:47 PM

[quote] "Any fruit is a delicious treat if you get it at peak ripeness."

I'm with R3. Outside of Durian, and other divisive things, I pretty much like it all.

by Anonymousreply 70June 20, 2023 11:50 PM

Canteloupe

by Anonymousreply 71June 20, 2023 11:55 PM

Lemon, raspberry, peach, apricot, tomato

by Anonymousreply 72June 20, 2023 11:57 PM

Sweet, juicy, tender navel oranges, nectarines, cherries, plums, strawberries, blueberries, and red and green grapes. I used to love tangerines, but it's hard to find any that aren't tough and dried out. Clementines come pretty close to how tangerines used to be, though.

by Anonymousreply 73June 21, 2023 12:02 AM

Blueberries, nectarines, peaches and strawberries

by Anonymousreply 74June 21, 2023 12:05 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75June 21, 2023 4:02 AM

I bought a cream cheese slice with tart cherries. I know I’m pushing the season, but that’s what is on my mind.

I change my favorite based on what I see and read, but Pear is usually an October favorite and December least favorite. I’m in a “fuck nectarines” mood lately and I think I want Fuji apples. With cheese.

by Anonymousreply 76June 21, 2023 4:19 AM

I love fresh lychee, rambutan, ice cream bananas (a variety in Hawaii), raspberries, red and also yellow flesh watermelon, lemon, white guavas, strawberry guavas, lilikoi (passion fruit), most varieties of oranges, yellow kiwi, rainier and bing cherries, honey crisp apples, red plums, pluots, and probably a few I can't think of at the moment. There was a farmer (Nozawa Farms) on the North Shore of Oahu that grew yellow watermelons for a few years. He quit growing them about 4-5 years ago. They were incredible ... so crisp and sweet ... better than any red watermelon I'd ever had. He said the season was too short and the melons were not worth the effort (damn).

by Anonymousreply 77June 21, 2023 4:57 AM

Peaches

Apples

Strawberries

Green (only)Grapes

Marionberry

by Anonymousreply 78June 21, 2023 5:30 AM

I bought peaches because they smelled sweet and peachy. I'm disappointed because they turned out to be tasteless.🙁

by Anonymousreply 79June 23, 2023 8:21 PM

Bartlett Pears

A perfectly ripe one, fresh and cold ... ambrosia!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80June 23, 2023 9:29 PM

[quote]I’m in a “fuck nectarines” mood lately

Why have a nectarine when you can have a peach?

by Anonymousreply 81June 23, 2023 10:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!