Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Maureen Dowd Name-Drops Jackie O by Way of Her Dad in Latest NY Times Column

It's good to be Maureen.

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2023 12:15 AM

Jackie on My Mind

Before she was an iconic first lady, Jackie was a clever “Camera Girl.”

WASHINGTON — I think about Jackie Kennedy several times a day.

I have no choice.

Tour groups come by my house in Georgetown to see John Kennedy’s bachelor pad, where he was living when he met Jacqueline Bouvier at a dinner party.

I eavesdropped at the window once and heard a tour guide spin the romantic yarn about how the handsome senator met the beautiful debutante and they decided to live happily ever after. Somewhere else. “Jackie told Jack he needed to get out of this dump,” the guide said. “By the time he was elected president, they were living in a beautiful house down the block, which we’ll go see now.”

As a tonic to the coarseness of Donald Trump and Ron DeSantis, I have been escaping to the cultured world of Jacqueline Bouvier in the period when Jack was diffidently courting her. (Never a Heathcliff type, Jack sometimes treated her, as Jackie once told Gore Vidal, as though she were a campaign asset, like Rhode Island.)

Carl Sferrazza Anthony’s new biography, “Camera Girl,” offers a lovely snapshot of Jackie’s single years in D.C., working at The Washington Times-Herald.

In 1951, Jackie, who had just graduated from George Washington University with a degree in French literature, joined the paper as a gofer, answering the phone and fetching coffee. Her wealthy stepfather was friends with Arthur Krock, the Washington bureau chief of The New York Times. Krock called Frank Waldrop, the executive editor of the Washington Times-Herald, and asked “Are you still hiring little girls?” because he knew a “round-eyed, clever” one.

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2023 11:56 AM

Sorry, guys, for some reason (I blame Muriel) my cut and paste mechanism is on the fritz.

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2023 11:59 AM

She gives me the ick.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2023 12:05 PM

Not much to write about, huh? Not like there is anything else going on in the world

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2023 12:11 PM

Nepo babies. " I like, live in the exact same house as like, JFK did,like 70 years ago".

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2023 12:24 PM

She can't help herself.

She thinks about Mrs. Onassis several times a day.

And Mo the Dowd HAS to monetize her brag thoughts.

She simply must!

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2023 12:28 PM

I cannot believe this bitch still has a column.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2023 12:50 PM

Just like I don't care that Anderson Cooper chose Andy Cohen to be his BFF, I don't care that Maureen Dowd writes look-at-me!!!! columns.

Both though seriously diminish any perception I ever had that they are serious people and serious journalists, and in the case of Dowd, that the NYT PAYS this woman to verbally masturbate is appalling.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2023 12:53 PM

The NY Times annual Summer Slow & Shallow Writing has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 5:51 PM

Didn’t Michael Douglas give Maureen a big slap on the ass before using both feet to kick her off the bed?

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2023 5:56 PM

She's such a distasteful cunt.

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2023 12:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!