Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Which is Stephen Sondheim's masterpiece?

I am purposefully NOT including shows for which he only did the lyrics, like GYPSY and WEST SIDE STORY. It has to be a show where he did both music and lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2023 7:37 AM

Follies!

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2023 4:05 AM

Pacific Overtures is my favorite, but objectively Sweeney Todd is his masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2023 4:11 AM

A Little Night Music?

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2023 5:25 AM

Pacific Overtures. Sweeney is way overrated. That original production of PO at the Winter Garden was glorious. we shall never see its like again.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2023 5:29 AM

How about something familiar, something peculiar, something for everyone?

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2023 5:33 AM

0% for Pacific Overtures!

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2023 7:01 AM

Company

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2023 7:04 AM

His gay SM dungeon in his townhouse, a short walk from hustler bar Rounds.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2023 7:14 AM

Not much love for _Assassins_?

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 9:44 AM

Why the fuck would I feel the need to vote for just one masterpiece?

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2023 9:50 AM

I reject the premise of the question, as he wrote several masterpieces.

If the question is which is his magnum opus, I'd have to say Sweeney Todd—with Follies hot on its heels. (Although, like another poster, my personal favorite is Pacific Overtures.)

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2023 2:54 PM

Thank you for putting it better than I did, R11. Steve wrote many masterpieces, but Sweeney really was his magnum opus. And, like R3, I question why the brilliant A Little Night Music (or Passion for that matter) wasn't on the list.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2023 3:33 PM

I definitely should have said "magnum opus" rather than "masterpiece", and i just plain forgot A Little Night music. Sorry.

I purposefully left off Passion. There was no room in the poll for all his musicals (I also left off The Frogs), and I doubted anyone would vote for it since it's not very popular. I did leave an "Other" option on purpose.

Now your questions are answered, r12.

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2023 3:56 PM

The Frogs will be done by Master Voices in their upcoming season for those who are interested. I have a friend in the choir and though I believe they sing nonsense syllables she claims their music is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2023 1:20 AM

Thank you, R13.

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2023 1:21 AM

Sunday in the Park with George has the most beautiful music in my opinion, but it’s so hard to pick.

I am interested to hear all of the love for Pacific Overtures. I’ve only seen one production, probably about 15 years ago and was completely underwhelmed by it, but was very moved by “There is no Other Way.”

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2023 1:35 AM

You are not impressed by the obc? Except for the terrible 'Next' which was god awful even in the original wonderful production it is pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2023 1:44 AM

Most of act 2 of Sunday is just terrible. They should have dropped the modern bits and made it a one act.

Night Music, Follies, and Sweeney just can't be stack-ranked. Company and the newer Merrily are the solid second tier.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2023 2:56 AM

[quote] Most of act 2 of Sunday is just terrible.

Yes, everyone hates “Putting it together” and “Children and Art” and “Move On”

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2023 2:10 PM

The songs are good. The context they're placed in are terrible.

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2023 11:02 PM

It's insanely hard to pick, but I'll go with the spirit of the thread. I do think Pacific Overtures if my favorite of his scores. It's just exquisite. Saw an excellent production in Washington D.C. a few months ago.

As for the best overall show, I think it's A Little Night Music. Of course, Sondheim is 'first' when discussing his shows, but Hugh Wheeler's book for Night Music is one of the best written... in Broadway history? As a whole, I think a strong production of Night Music is perhaps the most thoroughly entertaining and satisfying of the Sondheim musicals. I hope we get a full scale revival (with full orchestra) sometime soon. Perhaps the success of the Sweeney revival will convince the same producers to give Night Music a full revival.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2023 11:08 PM

I agree the songs in Act II are good but the book really suffers in Act II. But that is sometimes true of other Sondheim shows too.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2023 11:15 PM

If R11 is going to pretend to be a pedant, she needs to learn that a true pedant would retain the correct Latin word order and write "opus magnum," because it does not occur to us to change what is classically correct in a language we read daily.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2023 11:18 PM

Did he write Applause? Because if so, then that's my answer, otherwise it's Phantom!

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2023 11:39 PM

The original Broadway production of Night Music was gorgeous and can never be matched.

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2023 7:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!