Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

BEARKING: CNN CEO Chris Licht has ceded control of business operations to David Leavy

CNN CEO Chris Licht has ceded control of business operations to David Leavy, chief corporate officer for CNN’s parent company. In Licht’s year as CEO, CNN’s ratings, revenue, and reputation have plummeted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131June 10, 2023 7:16 AM

HA!

Don Lemon's revenge.

by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2023 1:00 AM

I don't think there was any way to fix the systemic problems CNN has without having it get worse before it get better.

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2023 1:00 AM

No worries.

They still have homophobic cunt Kaitlan Collins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2023 1:01 AM

Bearking Lololol

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2023 1:01 AM

Go Trumped, get Dumped Licht!

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2023 1:03 AM

I’m still trying to understand how this idiot, who worked at the Stephen Colbert show, did this to CNN.

Was he under specific orders or did he just go rogue?

Too bad, so sad for him.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2023 1:04 AM

Couldn't have happened to a bigger dickhead, except for Jeff Zucker. Thwse two assholes have completely trashed the brand, gleefully shitting all over Ted Turner's hard work and effort.

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2023 1:04 AM

[quote] Chris Licht has ceded control of business operations

Can someone please translate this business speak, and explain exactly what it means?

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2023 1:05 AM

R8 He is fucking, off.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 1:08 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2023 1:11 AM

This Atlantic article (long) is absolutely devastating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2023 1:11 AM

I said Licht was incompetent 6 months ago. Putting Don Lemon on mornings? Keeping BASEMENT RATINGS Anderson and Burnett? And don't forget, Licht went from being a producer on Coberts show to running a fucking network? Whoever hired him needs to be fired too. VIDEO CLIP. This is what CNN hired? Fuck them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2023 1:15 AM

R12 He sounds like a fucking moron in that clip. He actually reminds me of a coworker of mine who is WAY out of his league.

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2023 1:17 AM

I read that Atlantic article a few hours ago. I'm not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2023 1:18 AM

Everything David Zaslav touches turns to shit.

by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2023 1:43 AM

Licht sucks a mean cock.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2023 1:44 AM

Licht sucks a mean cock.

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2023 1:45 AM

Licht sucks a mean cock.

by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2023 1:46 AM

Another one of David’s friends. Zucker planting hit pieces?! The drama!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2023 1:49 AM

Those fireworks lighting up the whole northern hemisphere tonight are coming from Don Lemon's backyard in the Hamptons. I'm certain it's coincidental.

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2023 2:11 AM

OP is a cunt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2023 4:41 AM

[quote]Chris Licht has ceded control of business operations

[quote]Can someone please translate this ^ business speak, and explain exactly what it means?

R8 - Generally, in news media organizations there is a bit of a firewall between what CNN is calling "business operations" and editorial. I don't know exactly where that firewall is at CNN and how they're organized, but business operations may include things like marketing, advertising sales, finance, HR, analytics -- functions that may support, but are not directly involved in the journalism.

My translation is, they're giving him one last shot by having him focus on the actual product (vs. all the support functions) and if he doesn't turn things around quickly, he'll be toast.

by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2023 4:52 AM

He made Newsmax more popular. That’s quite a feat.

by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2023 4:58 AM

Couldn't happen to a nicer cunt!

by Anonymousreply 24June 3, 2023 8:22 AM

Told you not to take the job.

by Anonymousreply 25June 3, 2023 8:47 AM

It’s entirely possible that if Chris Licht and Alissa Heinerscheid had a baby together, it would grow up to destroy capitalism.

by Anonymousreply 26June 3, 2023 9:38 AM

Lesson here: Don't fuck with Don Lemon and his outfits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 3, 2023 10:56 AM

For the 9 PM slot I'm proposing a daily talk show of the Larry King mold. Not sure why they abandoned that concept. You hire a producer who is well connected to all types of celebrities and you got yourself a successful show. You don't even have to hire a good host. Even Jimmy Fallon could do it. The show could be on cheap re-runs in summer and forever, and it would be great for YT, TikTok and Instagram.

Generally speaking I appreciate the approach to make the channel look less liberal-biased. But it's a tall order. Whatever direction you go, the opposite side will always claim bias and deception. Once a journalistic reputation is gone, it's extremely hard to correct it AND be successful. And that reputation was tainted way before the current regime took over.

by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2023 12:47 PM

Another problem is that people have very different ideas of what a news channel should look like. If it was up to me CNN would do a much clearer separation of hard news without any type of commentary, op-ed content and true entertainment. But every business professional in the industry would probably lose their hair over that approach because pure news shows simply don't get ratings.

by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2023 12:53 PM

I'd like to see it go back to just news without everyone's damn commentary and guesses to what everything means. just news.

by Anonymousreply 30June 3, 2023 12:58 PM

r28 I think that's the idea for the Gayle King/Charles Barkley program which starts in the fall, but it will be weekly. Those news talk-show formats are difficult to exist at night on cable, because unlike daytime you can't fill it with 30 minutes of fluff. CNN tried it over and over since Larry King retired. People do not want another Piers Morgan, you need a really dynamic person to fill an entire hour. Chris Wallace's talk show is boring.

I know people here don't want to hear it, but Don Lemon, despite being an asshat sometimes, was their talent. They knew he was a diva so they should've never put him in an ensemble. He was the person they needed to carry a night time talk show. Now that he's gone they have to outsource to people like Gayle King.

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2023 1:10 PM

R28 I know he's not often popular here, but I think Bill Maher would be ideal for that position. He's quite comfortable talking to anyone of any stripe (politically, religiously, etc) the first twenty minutes of his show 'REAL TIME' on HBO. He knows how to control the conversation, too...making sure the guest doesn't try to spin it to fit their agenda. Of course, he would need to tone down the language used, but I think he could host a very entertaining hour.

by Anonymousreply 32June 3, 2023 1:57 PM

"He knows how to control the conversation, too...making sure the guest doesn't try to spin it to fit their agenda."

Because God forbid this arrogant asshole hear an opinion that is different from his own. Talk about a woke, delicate snowflake, Maher tops them all. And his faux feud with Trump is nothing but pure political theater. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Trump and Maher were golfing buddies.

by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2023 2:23 PM

I just want it to come out that he was fucking Kaitlan Collins. Nothing else can explain her fast rise at the network. She probably was the one behind Don Lemon story. I hope she goes after that fucker Anderson Cooper next.

by Anonymousreply 34June 3, 2023 2:29 PM

[quote]Because God forbid this arrogant asshole hear an opinion that is different from his own. Talk about a woke, delicate snowflake, Maher tops them all.

You obviously don't watch his show.

He does listen to other's opinions, he lets his guests speak their minds and he questions them. He won't let them take over his show . the way Caitilin Collins did when hosting Trump's 'Town Hall' last month. That will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 35June 3, 2023 3:08 PM

I'd be OK with Bill Maher on CNN. But why would he want to switch? As long as HBO still offers him a slot, he has a pretty cushy job in WBD's universe as the nation's fool who can say whatever he wants without causing much of a stir. On CNN he would be on display with almost inevitable shit storms from both political sides every week. Who needs the grief for probably not many more viewers or money?

R31, I could totally see Don Lemon do that nightly talk show gig. If he toned down his sanctimonious rants a bit I would watch it. It would look good on Licht and Lemon if they took him back for that.

by Anonymousreply 36June 3, 2023 3:17 PM

"You obviously don't watch his show."

Damn straight I don't. Five minutes, much less of a whole hour, with this smarmy, smug, greasy, entitled, pompous windbag is asking a helluva lot of anybody.

by Anonymousreply 37June 3, 2023 3:23 PM

Bill Maher is not going to take a second show. They’d censor the shit out of him too.

by Anonymousreply 38June 3, 2023 5:38 PM

CNN is a brand that isn’t coming back. Zucker destroyed it.

by Anonymousreply 39June 3, 2023 5:39 PM

R11, damn. That article was brutal!

by Anonymousreply 40June 3, 2023 5:41 PM

True r38. It's bad enough that they do those Overtime segments on CNN. Suddenly everyone who was swearing on HBO has to go into a panic if anybody swears on the Overtime segment. Of course, that shows the weird and idiotic nature of the "rules," but there they are.

by Anonymousreply 41June 3, 2023 5:41 PM

Using right wing language like "snowflake" to describe Bill Maher is hilarious. Bill Maher is just another elderly, straight, wealthy libertarian who OCCASIONALLY has views which align with progressives.

That said, as much as I can't stand the smarmy Maher, he does seem like a good idea for CNN's audience. But, I thought Licht had already started programming Maher's YouTube show Overtime on the air on CNN months ago? Or did that never happen?

by Anonymousreply 42June 3, 2023 5:49 PM

[quote] Can someone please translate this business speak, and explain exactly what it means?

It means he's still employed by the network, but has turned over control to someone else. In other words he's there until they settle on an exit plan for him.

by Anonymousreply 43June 3, 2023 5:49 PM

I think it's first R22, then, if that doesn't work out very quickly, it will be R43.

by Anonymousreply 44June 3, 2023 5:52 PM

Bill Maher is an old fart whose show would do well on CNN. They need to have a show like real time on HBO with someone hosting who isn’t a rich bitter asshole like Maher.

by Anonymousreply 45June 3, 2023 6:06 PM

Brian Stetler must be feeling like a cat in milk right about now.

by Anonymousreply 46June 3, 2023 6:09 PM

Actually, any show hosted by somebody who isn't a rich bitter asshole (or at least a rich arrogant up-their-own-ass celebrity) would be a shock to the system. Might want to try it.

by Anonymousreply 47June 3, 2023 6:17 PM

This has nothing to do with Lemon or his revenge. Zaslav, the real right-winger, installed David Leavy. It's all in the outstanding Atlantic article, which goes so far as to imply that the writing was on the wall and Licht probably knew it.

The rightward trend at CNN will continue. Licht just was messy and fucked up the transition.

by Anonymousreply 48June 3, 2023 6:17 PM

Yeah Maher does not fit well within CNN's programming. And if he does get a show it will seem like a ratings grab, just like the Trump town hall.

by Anonymousreply 49June 3, 2023 6:20 PM

Sad last days.

by Anonymousreply 50June 3, 2023 6:22 PM

[quote]This has nothing to do with Lemon or his revenge.

r48 a great deal of that damning Atlantic article is about Don Lemon. It may not be Lemon's revenge, but Licht's fate was in a round-about way was directly related to Lemon. Licht put all his eggs in one basket, which was the morning program. It was supposed to turn the network around. Now he has to deal with the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 51June 3, 2023 6:28 PM

Can someone summarize any relevant bullet points from The Atlantic article?

Yes, I'm being lazy. And, also, I've reached my monthly limit of free Atlantic articles already.

by Anonymousreply 52June 3, 2023 6:29 PM

R43 I say by the end of July he will be releasing a statement with CNN saying he is leaving to 'spend more time with his family'.

by Anonymousreply 53June 3, 2023 6:31 PM

CNN has zero interest in NEWS anymore.

It is just like Twitter and YouTube now - allows MAGAts spew their lies with no matter what.

So it doesn't matter if Licht cedes control of anything. The whole network operates the same way regardless. CNN wants to be Fox News. The fact that they obviously don't care about ratings means they are being propped up.

I expect them to hire Tucker Carlson eventually.

by Anonymousreply 54June 3, 2023 6:35 PM

No, they haven’t turned over control to the COO, though that will likely happen.

He handles all the business functions. Licht is nominally still in charge, though the Atlantic piece ensures it won’t be for long.

by Anonymousreply 55June 3, 2023 6:38 PM

R51

You're right, of course. I should have been more clear that this wasn't as a result of Lemon personally exacting revenge.

by Anonymousreply 56June 3, 2023 6:46 PM

r52 essentially Licht is a former fat guy and mostly an asshole, disliked by most people at CNN and they long for their old boss Zucker. He's even moved his office farther away from everyone so they can't find him. Audie Cornish took him to task about making the network more right-wing and he confirmed it. Don, Poppy and Kaitlan were thrown together, Don and Poppy never gelled with Kaitlan. Don cursed her out after she cut him off on air and there was no hope that they would work well together after that.

IMO CNN has fallen apart post Trump and they need to just get back to reporting breaking news like so many have said.

by Anonymousreply 57June 3, 2023 6:50 PM

The last part of the article made it sound like most of Licht's idiotic moves were dictated by Zaslav. I wonder who signed off on Licht doing the interviews? It was a really bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 58June 3, 2023 6:54 PM

Licht had/has some good instincts. I'm now locked out of that great Atlantic article, but I did read it. (guess it was my last freebie.) When he says something like a Black guy, a Brown guy, and an Asian guy who all graduated from Harvard the same year is not real diversity, he's right. When he disagreed with the whole policy that nobody is ever allowed to mention the lableak theory for Covid or you hate Chinese people, that too was correct. Apparently he never found a way to really do anything about either real diversity or accurate news that defied received wisdom.

Can you get real diversity without falling into the dreaded Diner Conversations? As in, here's a bunch of assholes from Iowa to tell us why God, guns, and Trump are the answer to all our problems! I don't know. Maybe the next guy can try though.

Yet another morning show, but this time with Don Lemon and Poppy Harlow and Caitlin, isn't the answer. Why would it be? Even if had all gelled, it would just be another morning show. Will Charles Barkley and Gayle King shooting the shit with other celebrities save everything? I'm guessing not.

I don't know what would. Maybe CNN just needs to settle into its third-place, straight news, not flashy, not pretending BIG NAMES are really all that important niche. But I suspect there will be a lot of floundering before that happens.

by Anonymousreply 59June 3, 2023 7:03 PM

R52, you really should read at least part of the article, which is unpaywalled at the link. The drama is watching Licht sink himself, over and over again, as he talks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 3, 2023 7:04 PM

So to answer my own question, at R6, he is being handled from above.

Reading that very, very long article said as much.

He might have not wanted to say he was a right-leaning asshole, but the fact that he questioned the COVID death rate numbers left no doubt in my mind.

I laughed when the author wrote that Colbert told him not to take the job.

by Anonymousreply 61June 3, 2023 7:05 PM

Hubris and arrogance, R61. Licht really thought he was a TV news network wunderkind.

My favorite part of the article was where Licht was using his personal trainer as a sounding board for Licht's proposed changes at CNN. Sounds like a solid winner of an idea to get a personal trainer involved in the operations of a billion dollar a year news network.

by Anonymousreply 62June 3, 2023 7:12 PM

Love Kaitlan C! She has great style. Bold colors and professional. She doesn't look like she's on her way to Da Club to sip that Hennessy.

by Anonymousreply 63June 3, 2023 7:23 PM

What about Jake Tapper's inability to ask Repigs follow-up questions?

by Anonymousreply 64June 3, 2023 7:27 PM

He shares that inability with the vast majority of show hosts/reporters.

Because they don't care about the truth. It's not what they are getting paid for. And that is what they do care about.

by Anonymousreply 65June 3, 2023 7:34 PM

HA. Like I told you days ago, Licht is on the way out at CNN. Some of you delusional fucking cunts were all NO! You were wrong, I was right - hahahahahahaha.

Once again, children, I am telling you that Licht is on his way out the fucking door at CNN. They may dress it up in stages and do it in whatever way they think will save face but he's going... going.. gone. They don't like him. They don't want him. He's over.

by Anonymousreply 66June 3, 2023 7:35 PM

Fine Don. You win. Ding-dong, the past-her-prime witch is dead! But now what?

by Anonymousreply 67June 3, 2023 7:43 PM

Who knew "Network" would become a documentary

Chris Licht as Diana Christense, Donald Trump as Howard "I"m mad as hell and won't take it anymore" Beale. Who else?

by Anonymousreply 68June 3, 2023 7:56 PM

[quote] HA. Like I told you days ago, Licht is on the way out at CNN. Some of you delusional fucking cunts were all NO! You were wrong, I was right - hahahahahahaha.

You seem to get quite a lot out of anticipated affirmation from a handful of online users you never met. Good for you - I guess.

by Anonymousreply 69June 3, 2023 7:58 PM

I'm not quite dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 3, 2023 8:00 PM

It seems as though CNN is going to the dogs. It’s wondering aimlessly not sure where it should be in the “news” world. I hope it finds itself. The desertion rate is almost equal to that of Fox “News”.

by Anonymousreply 71June 3, 2023 8:19 PM

Fox is in a much bigger hole than CNN is in right now, Fox is in a fucking sinkhole the size of the Kingdome.

So that's nice.

by Anonymousreply 72June 3, 2023 8:28 PM

Did people really deny that Licht was on his way out? The gloating in this thread smacks of Captain Obvious.

by Anonymousreply 73June 3, 2023 9:34 PM

Some seriously disturbed people are doing the internet equivalent of spreading their shit on walls in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 74June 3, 2023 9:40 PM

I was puzzled why they plucked him from the Colbert show. Yes, he had experience as a show runner in politics and news, but it was one show at a time with Joe Scarborough and the CBS morning show. He was relieved once he went to entertainment with fewer demands and better hours with Colbert. He also had an overweight, schluby appearance. After reading the article, I'm convinced he was picked because Zaslav thought he could run over him and he was correct. A tubby boy out of his element is probably not going to be very confident with big corporate and offer little resistance. Zaslav's refusal to even interview internally was the first hint that he wanted dominance.

by Anonymousreply 75June 3, 2023 9:50 PM

Yes, R73, I posted that Licht was on his way out and I got flamed to hell and back for it. I was told it wasn't true and that he was planning/doing all these additional things at CNN. I received smug and stupid responses from people who just knew - they KNEW - that Licht was fine and moving ahead with plans and blahblahblah. I knew the truth.

Yes, they were 100% wrong and yes, I am definitely gloating. Yay me.

by Anonymousreply 76June 3, 2023 9:59 PM

I stopped watching most TV news once Trump got elected to preserve my blood pressure and sanity, but hasn’t CNN been a joke (albeit a left leaning and more palatable joke) for a long time? I remember Wolf Blitzer broadcasting for weeks out of a fake cockpit set when one of those jetliners disappeared - WTF kind of “journalism” was that?

by Anonymousreply 77June 3, 2023 10:48 PM

r77 CNN is fine if you are watching for infotainment and breaking news. Where they went wrong is trying the Fox format.

People also need to realize the CNN of old (Ted Turner days) are long gone and they're not coming back. The network has to evolve with the times.

by Anonymousreply 78June 3, 2023 10:53 PM

Like Karl Marx with unfettered capitalism, or even Donald Trump with American competitiveness, Licht’s diagnosis of what is wrong with CNN is spot on. Problem is, his solutions to fix it are as stupid as communism and MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 79June 3, 2023 10:56 PM

The question for me: if he and Colbert and really such good pals, does this confirm that Colbert is a grade A asshole.

by Anonymousreply 80June 4, 2023 1:47 AM

Are they really pals beyond the employer/employee relationship?

by Anonymousreply 81June 4, 2023 1:53 AM

R81, Colbert says he talks to Licht “almost” every Friday, but opens each conversation by saying “I told you so.” So even Colbert is getting his digs in, and doing a little distancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 4, 2023 1:58 AM

Hopefully, Licht understood going into it that fixing CNN's huge problems with bias and credibility would be a thankless job.

by Anonymousreply 83June 4, 2023 2:02 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84June 4, 2023 2:06 AM

At first, I wasn't so sure Licht was an asshole as much as someone in way over his head in an impossible situation stressed beyond belief until I came to the part where he vowed to *destroy* Kurt Bardella over a perfectly reasonable LA Times editorial.

I've always read Colbert's a nice guy. Im reminded of the Ron Howard and Brian Grazer partnership. Howard's always known as a good guy in HW.. But it's easier to be a nice guy when Grazer's around doing the not-so-nice stuff that keeps a production on schedule and within budget.

by Anonymousreply 85June 4, 2023 2:20 AM

mmmm this is why Don wasn't having Colbert's comments about his threads !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 4, 2023 2:21 AM

I can’t see a future for CNN or the whole 24/7 news cycle. Trump brought the eyeballs in 2016 but no one is going to watch a Biden/Trump redux in 2024. Forget town halls, debates, rallies The ratings will be abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 87June 4, 2023 2:26 AM

After reading the Licht piece, I’m much more embarrassed for Anderson re that diatribe of his defending the Trump town hall.

by Anonymousreply 88June 4, 2023 8:50 AM

Thanks for the link R60.

I can't remember the last time I clicked on an article in 'The Atlantic' (nothing against them - I enjoy their journalism), but when I clicked on the one in the OP it warned me 'This is your last free article !' What they meant was 'This is your only free article!'.

by Anonymousreply 89June 4, 2023 6:19 PM

You can go in incognito mode and get another freebie. At least it works for me.

by Anonymousreply 90June 4, 2023 7:03 PM

Licht may not stay. But who actually could do a good job when Robert Malone is a major shareholder of your company and David Zaslav is your boss? I'm afraid Licht was set up to fail. And no-one will be able to turn that ship around.

by Anonymousreply 91June 4, 2023 10:38 PM

I'm puzzled by Zazlav. Wiki notes he's donated $265k to Democratic candidates. His 2020 contributions include donations to Pelosi and Jeffries and just on GOP candidate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 5, 2023 12:16 AM

R89, R90, the Atlantic article archived to be read for free on archive . ph.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93June 5, 2023 6:47 AM

Jake Tapper sold out.

by Anonymousreply 94June 5, 2023 7:40 AM

How long till they announce Chuck Todd is taking over Licht's role?

It's time the political operator goes behind the camera, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 95June 5, 2023 10:56 AM

THE TRUMP CURSE HAS STRUCK AGAIN!

[quote]Jake Tapper sold out.

He has mortgage and college tuition to pay...

by Anonymousreply 96June 5, 2023 12:06 PM

[quote] Jake Tapper is an American journalist and author who has a net worth of $16 million.

His mortgage and his kids' tuition are taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 97June 5, 2023 12:10 PM

The reviews of the Atlantic piece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 5, 2023 12:10 PM

SHOCKED, I tell ya!!

by Anonymousreply 99June 5, 2023 12:28 PM

I read the earlier linked Atlantic piece last week (it's an excellent analysis of CNN's troubles, by the way!) and agree that David Zaslav is a major part of the problem. But I also recall reading in that piece, that a major Warner Bros. stockholder was identified as a largely here-to-fore unknown source of the pressure on CNN to go middle of the road in their coverage and, as he put it, to do journalism like the pros at fox news do.

FYI: That was not a direct verbatim quote from that stockholder but rather an approximation of what he shareholder wanted. As long as that uber wealthy (elitist) has a major influence, his right wing viewpoint will have a major impact and lay CNN low.

by Anonymousreply 100June 5, 2023 12:37 PM

R100, I believe that was John Malone, a billionaire board member of Warner Bros., and that is pretty much what he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 5, 2023 2:00 PM

^^^ That's exactly who I referred to in my post so thanks for posting that linked piece from Vox.

So, as I see it, fox news-loving John Malone is a BIG part of the problem CNN has and will have as long as Malone is a major force among the Warner Bros Board & shareholders.

CNN will squirm and destruct and reconstruct and destruct as long as that ass has his finger in the (destabilizing of management direction) mix of things!

But of course, as the right wing constantly puts things, "elitists" can only be leftists!

Yeah, sure Jan!

by Anonymousreply 102June 5, 2023 5:09 PM

Precisely 24 hours before The Atlantic published “Inside the Meltdown at CNN,” a 15,000-word defenestration of Licht, the cable news network announced Leavy as its new chief operating officer. The press release listed June 20 as Leavy’s start date. But the truth is Leavy started immediately — he had no other choice. He knew the article was about to hit. His boss David Zaslav, the CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery, needed him to survey and repair the damage.

Leavy, who was Zaslav’s chief corporate operating officer, emailed multiple CNN anchors right away and vowed to meet with them as soon as possible. And then came the phone calls: delicate conversations with CNN personalities who signaled that they have lost confidence in Licht as a leader. Some top anchors want him out. “I feel like a quarterback without a coach,” one anchor commented Sunday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 5, 2023 8:41 PM

The fun part was Licht on this morning’s editorial call vowing to win back everyone’s trust.

by Anonymousreply 104June 5, 2023 8:57 PM

Just one more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 5, 2023 9:05 PM

He’s backpedaling trying desperately to hold on to his position. It’s likely too late.

by Anonymousreply 106June 5, 2023 9:07 PM

CNN's anchors are just enabling him. Exhibit A: Jake Tapper's timidity in questioning Nikki Haley at her "town hall."

I find it hard to believe any of them really care. They have always seemed more happy than not to bash Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 107June 6, 2023 12:15 PM

I think most probably think they care but when it comes down to caring or continuing to get million-dollar paychecks plus a platform that guarantees them multi-million-dollar book deals and speaking engagements, they opt out of caring and into 'just doing my job.'

Don Lemon would have made the same choice.

I doubt Kaitlan Collins cares. She voluntarily served the interests of Tucker Carlson and then eagerly got the figurehead black guy at CNN fired and took his seat. She may care about the wrong things if anything.

Jake Tapper and Anderson Cooper likely think they care, but Jake is a sellout and Anderson ultimately is a superficial heiress mommy.

by Anonymousreply 108June 6, 2023 12:25 PM

Tapper has become his own cash cow. Millions from CNN, probably millions from keynote speeches at conferences where he sells books, millions from book deals because he sells them at conferences, all for reading news a poorly paid writing staff writes for him.

He spoke at a conference I worked. I think he got around $50k for 50 minutes. He typed his notes into his phone on the way to the hotel and told the staff to print them for him.

Politics and Prose just announced he'll be doing a reading of his new political thriller!

by Anonymousreply 109June 6, 2023 12:33 PM

Not a Tapper fan at all. Way too smug

by Anonymousreply 110June 6, 2023 8:41 PM

I rarely catch his broadcast anymore but that's because it's on at 1:00 in the afternoon. I don't have any problem with Jake Tapper.

Licht is weaselly little cunt who is in way over his head.

by Anonymousreply 111June 6, 2023 8:48 PM

Tapper's a shithead. I watched him get really creeped out in real time on Twitter, unwilling to call out quickly that the Pulse shooting was at a gay bar. Wrote him off from that moment.

by Anonymousreply 112June 6, 2023 11:38 PM

So he’s out.

CNN reported it

😂🤣

by Anonymousreply 113June 7, 2023 1:36 PM

FFS R113

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 7, 2023 2:49 PM

Seeing as his tenure was so short, I doubt his exit package was very lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 115June 7, 2023 3:08 PM

Cancellation of the King-Charles program in 3.. 2..

by Anonymousreply 116June 7, 2023 5:37 PM

[quote]Seeing as his tenure was so short, I doubt his exit package was very lucrative.

Well, there goes the building of the new house and the hiring of an ID to refresh the NYC apartment...

by Anonymousreply 117June 7, 2023 5:41 PM

Oh, I bet his exit package was quite lucrative.

That’s the dirty secret of the corporate world. If you’re hired for a big job and fuck up royally, you will always leave with a king’s ransom.

by Anonymousreply 118June 7, 2023 5:43 PM

Was the Atlantic article implying that all this Trump shit was pushed on Licht? That he wanted to rebuild the brand and then cut to later and he’s having a nervous breakdown?

by Anonymousreply 119June 7, 2023 5:54 PM

Zaslav was the one who proclaimed that Republicans were back on CNN. This is his vision.

by Anonymousreply 120June 7, 2023 5:55 PM

R119, no, the article makes it clear that he’s a Republican, or at least a right wing sympathizer.

by Anonymousreply 121June 7, 2023 6:36 PM

Tim Alberta, who wrote the profile, is a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 122June 7, 2023 7:02 PM

Thanks, R123. I figured something was up with the author of that long winded article when I read it.

Alberta accused MSMNC of anti-Fox News hysteria because it went into "Breaking News" when the Dominion verdict came in.

Of course it was breaking news, asshole. A broadcast network was accused of playing fast and loose with the facts and found guilty and was awarded 3/4 of a BILLION DOLLARS.

by Anonymousreply 123June 7, 2023 7:51 PM

Did you read or just skim that "long-winded""article? That wasn't Alberta, r123. That didn't sound right so I searched the article for all Dominion.and "breaking" references. It was Licht who said it to Frank Luntz's students.

[QUOTE]Licht told students that MSNBC was using the all-outrage, all-the-time model that CNN had invented; “one show in particular,” he noted, seemed to use a breaking news banner on virtually every segment. (He was referring to Nicolle Wallace’s program at 4 p.m., a competitor to Jake Tapper’s show in that time slot.) That tactic produces a bump in ratings, Licht said—but he called it irresponsible on the part of his former employer.

I have no idea if Alberta is a Republican. At least he comes across as a never Trumper. Why would a journalist a) admit to such bias in an article thus making himself look suspect and even undermining his debates with Licht?; and b) admit a bias to the subject of the article? Makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 124June 7, 2023 10:36 PM

You tried to steer the whole page off wit a lie and cowardly decide not to respond, r123. Do you need more time?

by Anonymousreply 125June 8, 2023 2:33 AM

Jake Tapper sold all the way fuck out. He deserves what he will be eventually getting…

by Anonymousreply 126June 9, 2023 9:46 AM

If TPTB decide Tapper’s out, he'll get the softest of soft landings ever. It's the nature of their 'bro/'braugh" fraternity. Jake's the alleged Pussy in their bunch.

by Anonymousreply 127June 10, 2023 6:44 AM

Jake has other things going on, but his publishing deals, his speaking appearances, all are contingent upon him being on air currently. He's made a whole enterprise of side gigs and he has no other platform to market his branded products.

Anderson Cooper has diversified his audience. His pairing off with Andy Cohen murdered his professional journalistic in the views of many of us, but it won him Bravo's superficial audience. Cohen's world is socialites and his favorite question is 'How rich are you?' and Anderson has played up his heiress persona to that audience. Plus, now that he and Andy both are gay-mommies, they can both hawk parenting schlock. And Anderson is still a sometimes-60 Minutes reporter, so even if he loses CNN, he's got that as his claim to credibility. He has diversified his income streams and his celebrity persona, all by being a black slate whose whole 'personality' is giggling at Kathy Griffin or Andy Cohen saying mean things about celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 128June 10, 2023 6:54 AM

The anti-Alberta crowd have been here for a while making no sense...

by Anonymousreply 129June 10, 2023 6:55 AM

Give “bearking” a rest you silly queen OP. It’s not going to happen. You’re very sad.

by Anonymousreply 130June 10, 2023 7:13 AM

Yes. Either r123 hasn't been back or is too embarrassed because he cannot marshall supporting evidence. It's the embarrassing self-made "conundrum" they face. They cannot come back with unbiased empirical evidence, so they, grown men, whimper and cry a misunderstood victimhood only they and their 'specials' understand

by Anonymousreply 131June 10, 2023 7:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!