Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Steve Garvey for Senate?

In his playing days, 40 years ago, when the GOP was still viable in California. he was oft-mentioned as a future republican candidate for office. He's waited to now, though?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 7, 2024 6:31 PM

The Republican will not win in California now or for the foreseeable future. But more power to him; it will be nice to have the entertainment value of watching California Republicans pin all their hopes on a faded baseball star, only to watch him go down to any of the Democratic candidates who've announced, all of which will be head-and-shoulders better than Garvey.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2023 2:21 PM

This is unserious. He’s 74 and has never held (or run for) any public office.

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2023 2:28 PM

Well, R2, Trump was 70 & he, too, had never held - or run - for any public office.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2023 8:22 PM

Garvey is unqualified; never held office. He's also had a messed up personal life with divorces, children with multiple women with whom he wasn't married, kids who didn't want to see him, etc. We don't need another douchebag Repig preaching to us about morality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2023 8:43 PM

Complete package. Hot as fuck. Unfortunately, a scum sucking Republican.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2023 9:02 PM

Not one chance in hell! Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2023 9:57 PM

Jesus, he was somethin' back then wasn't he? I always think there's a through-line for handsome star athletes who of course are conservatives because they do not or cannot understand why people just front get off their asses. They don't even understand that we all can't throw a ball or be white. But damn fine.

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2023 10:05 PM

I had such a crush on him in the 70s and I'm a Giants fan. It was a huge disappointment to learn he's a douche Republican. I remember people were shocked, SHOCKED to learn he'd cheated on golden girl Cindy.

r4 - His sketchy personal life kept him from running until now when the GOP has so transformed itself that it accepts rapists, thieves, and likely murderers into the fold. His lack of experience is PLUS for these people. If Caitlin ran in CA, why can'the. If Marge, George, and Bobo can get elected, why can't he?

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2023 10:40 PM

I thought awhile back I heard he had 2+ girlfriends pregnant at the same time. Can anyone confirm?

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2023 12:55 AM

[quote]I thought awhile back I heard he had 2+ girlfriends pregnant at the same time. Can anyone confirm?

R9. It's true. Read the personal section of Garvey's Wikipedia page. The link is in the R4 post above.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2023 1:00 AM

Never liked this dude

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2023 1:02 AM

Shouldn't there be some kind of age limit imposed?

Here in the UK it's sort of self-regulating. Elected officials are pretty much finished before they are 65, some much younger.

The House of Lords isn't elected and there are some old fuckers there, but they mainly exist to revise legislation and have no real power. Same with The Monarch.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2023 1:15 AM

Meant to add that if Keir Starmer wins in 2024 he would be the oldest PM to win in 70+ years.

He'd probably quit after two years.

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2023 1:21 AM

[QUOTE]Shouldn't there be some kind of age limit imposed?

It's debatable, but will never happen. AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) is quite a powerful lobby and will shriek ageism and discrimination. More importantly, though, is that the groups who would be voting for this are heavily comprised of powerful 60+ year olds with long political careers.

It would require amendments to the Constitution for the Senate, House of Reps, and President to specify maximum age limits. Currently, only minimum ages are specified. Amending the Constitution requires the legislatures of 2/3 of the 50 states to approve. It's extraordinarily hard. The last attempt in the 70s and 80s got pass the Equal Rights Amendment got nowhere close.

The best solution to geriatric incompetence (e.g. Diane Feinstein from my home state. Pathetic. She didn't even realize she'd been MIA for weeks) is for party leaders to apply pressure from within. For example, denying re-election funding through party channels. But they're likely too chickenshit to do it. At least the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2023 1:39 AM

We was hot stuff back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2023 2:11 AM

It's hysterical that long-suffering Cyndy (misspelled her name upthread) left Steve for uber dweeb Marvin Hamlisch.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2023 2:18 AM

I found one of the sons. He doesn’t use daddy’s last name, but appears to have a relationship with the older siblings.

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2023 2:38 AM

"Honk if You're Having Steve Garvey's Baby"

is classic a bumper sticker, maybe the best ever.

by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2023 2:47 AM

Let's just say I have a little "October surprise" in the oven, KWIM?

by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2023 3:22 AM

I just hope I’m not carrying Steve Harvey’s baby.

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2023 3:26 AM

*Garvey’s

by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2023 3:37 AM

74? He's just a baby.

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2023 11:14 AM

It is now official

“As a senator from California, I will pledge to uphold the voice of the people,” he said.

“I’m big on free will and choice. I think God gave us that and in what we choose in life and what we choose to do,” he said. “In this case, to be a senator from this great state means you pledge to listen to the people and uphold their wishes.”

Asked about the challenges of running as a Republican in California, Garvey said he believes California voters are looking for a change.

“There’s been a malaise with the people of California. They’ve just given up that they’ve heard one voice and they don’t feel like they have a voice, so they wish somebody would stand up and fight for them, and nobody has,” he said. “And so I think it’s time for somebody to stand up, and that’s me.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 10, 2023 10:41 PM

Doesn’t California have a law by which all candidates run in an open primary, with the top two vote-getters squaring off in the general? If so, will the Democrats so splinter the vote that a Republican could be one of the two top vote-getters?

by Anonymousreply 24October 10, 2023 11:35 PM

I was a fan of the Dodgers (for now, still am, ask me tomorrow 🙄🙄🙄)

But nobody remembers him from back in the day. All his dirty laundry will come back out again.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2023 12:03 AM

[QUOTE]“There’s been a malaise with the people of California. They’ve just given up

This is funny. He declares his candidacy while insulting his base for not having sufficient agency or ability. Will they get that their baseball hero candidate just insulted them?

Nevermind the California GOP had huge pockets funded by Big Ag (which doesn't get nearly as much attention as Big Pharma) which is mostly compromised of wealthy "farmers." Yet, they can't stymie the Will of the People.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2023 1:33 AM

The state just had a senator whither away from dementia and die in office. Why does this joker think people want to elect a 75 year old (who has never held public office) to a six year term representing their interests as a novice senator?

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2023 3:55 PM

Nude locker room photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 1, 2024 11:08 PM

LOL, right...

by Anonymousreply 29March 2, 2024 1:20 AM

I'll vote for him here in Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 30March 2, 2024 1:35 AM

Politics isn't something you just decide to get into in your mid-70s. Yes, Garvey and Trump--looking at you. And neither are qualified. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 31March 2, 2024 2:50 AM

This move gives me Rudy Giuliani vibes. There goes the reputation flushed down the toilet in the final golden years. Cant you old koots, just be happy were a thing long time ago?

by Anonymousreply 32March 2, 2024 3:38 AM

This is not the year for geriatrics to enter the race. Especially since the CA state government is much younger and more handsome.

by Anonymousreply 33March 2, 2024 3:45 AM

R28, nice bush & cut cock. Too bad he's a Repug.

by Anonymousreply 34March 2, 2024 7:49 AM

Garvey...mutilated dick, mutilated politics. He is not qualified to serve.

by Anonymousreply 35March 2, 2024 8:48 AM

Did he get donny’s endorsement? If he did he’s losing for sure.

by Anonymousreply 36March 2, 2024 11:07 AM

Garvey will not win in very blue California.

And try as Katie Porter might, Adam Schiff will be the next senator.

by Anonymousreply 37March 2, 2024 12:56 PM

Yeah, Schiff won the primary.

We need Katie in the senate still. She’s very effective and makes everyone she speaks to look like fools. Love her as well.

by Anonymousreply 38March 6, 2024 6:04 AM

Will Katie Porter and Barbara Lee be departing Congress, or will they hold onto their House seats?

by Anonymousreply 39March 6, 2024 7:01 AM

R39, Porter decided not to run for re-election to the House in order to run for the Senate. Not sure about Lee.

by Anonymousreply 40March 6, 2024 7:03 AM

R4 is exactly what I was thinking. I think CA is too smart for this.

by Anonymousreply 41March 6, 2024 7:04 AM

Garvey’s got a weird retro Reagan look going on though.

by Anonymousreply 42March 6, 2024 7:05 AM

OP, you think CA is gonna vote for a Refukk -- how is that opium you're smoking? Pass that pipe.

by Anonymousreply 43March 6, 2024 7:05 AM

R41, yeah, it's true that it was a mistake in 2016 for people to assume Trump couldn't win. But this is California. Garvey has a much higher hill to climb than Trump when it comes to a Republican being able to win CA.

by Anonymousreply 44March 6, 2024 7:07 AM

At 75-years old and no political experience, if Garvey wants to enter politics, perhaps he should start by running for city councilor or state rep. The arrogance of him is astounding thinking he should begin his career in the Senate.

Garvey, get lost you bloated know-nothing jock with no experience doing anything other than playing baseball.

by Anonymousreply 45March 6, 2024 7:10 AM

I wonder why Garvey is running? Surely he must know that it will be very difficult for a Republican to get elected Senator in California. Why waste months of his life at his age running all year for this? Is he just doing it to get some kind of other reward from the GOP/Trump?

by Anonymousreply 46March 6, 2024 7:19 AM

California to Steve Garvey: [bold] HANG 'EM UP ALREADY!!!![/bold]

by Anonymousreply 47March 6, 2024 7:24 AM

Don't forget that Arnold Schwarzenegger was the Republican Governor of California from 2003 to 2011. Big celebrity names have a shot. And I'm assuming Garvey will campaign as a moderate, not a right wing nutjob.

by Anonymousreply 48March 6, 2024 7:31 AM

R48, aren't you from Australia?

by Anonymousreply 49March 6, 2024 7:34 AM

R48, please tell me again how my own state is going to vote. You seem like such an expert.

by Anonymousreply 50March 6, 2024 8:58 AM

Born and raised in California. I'm claiming to be an expert merely because I gave some deets on party politics here? Calm your tits, bitch.

Obviously Schiff as a Democrat has an edge. But that's why Republicans are running a sport hero. There's a very good chance Garvey will win this, like Schwarzenegger did. But I won't vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 51March 6, 2024 6:05 PM

He voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 52March 6, 2024 6:34 PM

From the LA Times: "But in early 1989, less than two years after his final game with the Padres, Garvey was accused of getting two women pregnant — including one he was engaged to — before marrying a third woman, his current wife, after a brief courtship. He tried to explain what happened in a series of interviews. Both women, he said, led him to believe they were using birth control.."

by Anonymousreply 53March 6, 2024 11:44 PM

[quote]Don't forget that Arnold Schwarzenegger was the Republican Governor of California from 2003 to 2011. Big celebrity names have a shot

Yes, but Arnold always had strong political ambitions and spoke about his ideology of the Republican party long before running. And he did so openly not secretively like MAGA Garvey.

by Anonymousreply 54March 7, 2024 6:01 AM

Also, Arnold did run several small business in his day, at Garvey has not even done something as simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 55March 7, 2024 6:03 AM

[quote]From the LA Times: "But in early 1989, less than two years after his final game with the Padres, Garvey was accused of getting two women pregnant — including one he was engaged to — before marrying a third woman, his current wife, after a brief courtship. He tried to explain what happened in a series of interviews. Both women, he said, led him to believe they were using birth control.."

Oh! I finally understand that Golden Girls reference. I think Sophia made some sarcastic remark about being pregnant with Steve Garvey's lovechild.

Also, come on, get real, Steve Garvey is not winning a statewide election in California. That's precisely the reason that Adam Schiff has (smartly) been purposefully funding efforts to raise Garvey's profile. Schiff knew that if he helped raise Garvey's profile enough and Garvey ended up in second place in the primary, it would guarantee him winning in November. I'm more aligned with Barbara Lee and, if you're going to be guaranteed a Democratic seat in the Senate, why NOT send in the most progressive candidate? But, no denying, Schiff and his team are smart!

by Anonymousreply 56March 7, 2024 6:12 AM

I agree. It is much harder for a Republican to win a statewide election in California these days than it was 2 decades ago when Arnold won the Governor's race. Very small odds of success.

by Anonymousreply 57March 7, 2024 6:16 AM

r54 r55 r57 Oh, I'm not disputing that Garvey is unqualified. I'm saying voters are ignorant and they'll vote for a sports hero or celebrity just based on his name. He's about the best the Republicans could put forward and trust me, he has a good chance of winning. A lot of straight men who usually vote Democrat will vote for Garvey for his name alone.

by Anonymousreply 58March 7, 2024 6:28 AM

He reminds me of that dunce Rick Perry.

by Anonymousreply 59March 7, 2024 6:44 AM

Nope, he's older than dirt, his fame for most people is something you have to Google. Unlike Arnold, who didn't just have athletic fame but quite a bit of name recognition as a movie star. Well B movie start but still a LOT more famous than someone like Garvey who basically dropped off the face of the earth decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 60March 7, 2024 6:47 AM

r60 Haha. It doesn't matter. They'll run old video of a home run. His status is gold among straight males. And his opponent Schiff looks like a potato and is being portrayed as a villain for defeating progressive Katie Porter. Porter herself has suggested the election was "rigged".

by Anonymousreply 61March 7, 2024 6:59 AM

R58, the other factor working against Garvey in CA is that we are now living in a time where *almost every* Senate race tracks the same way as the race for President in that state. Political analysts from Ron Brownstein to Steve Kornacki have been studying this factor in recent years.

It is becoming very tough for anyone, Democrat or Republican, to win a Senate race in opposition to the way that state votes for President. Therefore, because Trump is going to obviously lose CA by a large margin, Garvey is likely going down, too.

by Anonymousreply 62March 7, 2024 7:03 AM

r62 But Garvey's name transcends party. He was a Los Angeles Dodger. He has status here.

The President always pulls in down ballot Congressional seats. That's nothing recent,

by Anonymousreply 63March 7, 2024 7:11 AM

R60 - Um, Arnold was not a B-movie star, he was an A-list action and comedy star.

by Anonymousreply 64March 7, 2024 9:49 AM

Yesterday some nut bag was on X squealing about election fraud because Garvey had more votes than Schiff, and all of a sudden, Schiff had more votes! And Schiff was declared the winner! We cannot accept results like these, we have to fight! This is all rigged. They switched the votes and that’s why Schiff won!!

It was a PRIMARY.

Schiff and Garvey weren’t running against each other.

Hundreds of other X accounts chimed in to declare voter fraud. Deceitful Dems need to be crushed and imprisoned. California is red, I know it is! I keep telling everyone California is a red state, you need to tell everyone, too!!!

This is some more Russian fuckery, harvesting low info voters and laying the ground on social media to challenge elections. They also want armed vigilantes showing up at statehouses in November.

by Anonymousreply 65March 7, 2024 6:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!