Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, did you have a telephone chair in your younger years?

I find them tres elegant!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2023 4:10 PM

It was mounted on the arch going into the breakfast room. The cord was short - not long enough to reach the kitchen. You could sit at the table and chat.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2023 5:08 AM

Did you have a telephone dialing pencil, R1?

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2023 5:13 AM

No, but I had a telephone repairman once.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2023 5:13 AM

I wish. We had two phones, both wall phones with short cords and you had to stand next to them and talk. And we were the absolute last family I knew to get touch tone phones. They were both dial phones.

And my father was an engineer at the fucking phone company!!

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2023 5:24 AM

R2, I always washed pencil marks off that phone. I lived with savages.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2023 6:56 AM

I didn't have room for both a telephone chair and a fainting couch.

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2023 9:35 AM

I’m proud to say that my childhood home included a telephone chair setting. It also had a cord that reached into the kitchen and into the dining room. This came into play when we called family back in the homeland (England).

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2023 9:40 AM

My grandparents had the requisite 1950's "gossip bench" in their center hall, and it's one of my favorite things that I've kept.

It's very similar to the one in the photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2023 9:56 AM

Use of uncomfortable telephone chairs no doubt kept conversations mercifully short.

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2023 9:58 AM

Not quite. But my parents added a second phone to their house in the early 70s and we had on the second floor a tiny little desk with matching chair that almost fit under it. An abomination in the Fauxlonial style, my mother liked it because of its cruelly diminutive scale (one woman's fuck you to a house of tall men), and she refinished the cheap poplar wood piece with something of a cat lick sheen, rough and uneven as a cat's tongue. This stood at the point where the front and rear stairs connected in the oldest and most please corner. But I never saw that little telephone desk without hating the thing for it's ugliness and inutility, and the Victorian shaving mug filled filled with plastic daffodils and the town telephone directory, and a pen and notepad.

I don't think the day ever came that my parents thought, "now wasn't it a good thing we put in a second line for emergency calls late at night."

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2023 10:30 AM

My aunt and uncle and cousins lived in such a rural area of Missouri (intentionally-they moved away from the city to “get away from it all”) and the only phone was in a closet. There was a bench to sit on, but you were in a bedrooom closet surrounded by clothes.

And I still don’t know what the purpose or reasons for it were, but they had a party line. They literally shared a phone with neighbors that were miles away. So if you wanted to make a phone call, you might pick up the phone and somebody stranger would already be on it and you’d say, excuse me, and then hang up. And when you were using it, one of those distant strangers may get on the line while you were on the phone. So fucking weird.

And I don’t know how expensive long distance calling was, but my mom and her sister would use operator assisted person to person calls to update one another. If my aunt had come to visit and then flown home, you’d get a call and the operator would say “Will you accept a person to person call from Ms. Ima Tome?” and you’d say “no” and hang up, but that was my aunt calling to say “I’m at home” so we knew she got home safely. 🙄

I don’t feel old. But I if I sent a 20 year old kid in a time machine back to my childhood, they’d be shocked at how absolutely fucking weird things were.

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2023 1:18 PM

No but I wish we did. I like the way that looks.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2023 1:22 PM

R11, they had party lines in rural areas because that was the only service they could get. In sparsely populated communities, subscribers were spread over such wide distances that the phone companies simply provided a single loop circuit connecting mulitple households rather than lay out individual lines, which was costly and not cost effective. Also, many rural communites were served by one main switchboard (usually at the county level) and could not readily accommodate many multiple private lines.

In the big cities, party lines were offered at discount rates. You had to pay extra to get your own individual private line.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2023 1:53 PM

no, we didn't have a chair. we would sit on the floor. My grandparents had a crank phone that you would crank and then the operator came on and you would tell her the number you wanted to be connected to. That was 60 years ago which doesn't really seem that long for how much things have drastically changed.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2023 2:02 PM

I had a service. Susanswerphone. I'm the brunette in their commercial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2023 2:04 PM

Hee! My grandmother had a similar chair in her entry hall R8. Ahhh, the good old days.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2023 2:14 PM

R2, yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2023 10:30 PM

Did you all dial the phone with a pencil?

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2023 10:30 PM

Ours was similar to this one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2023 10:35 PM

We had a built-in telephone "nook/niche."

by Anonymousreply 20June 10, 2023 2:10 PM

Our phone was mounted on the dining room wall (which was the closest place to the utility pole outside). We had to sit at the dining room table to talk. When I was a teenager, I took it upon myself to get an extra-long curly cord for the receiver. It barely reached the living room, so I would push a living room chair into the doorway between the two rooms. Even after I got a cordless phone, it took me years to get over thinking I had to remain in one place to talk.

by Anonymousreply 21June 10, 2023 4:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!