Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Has Been Fallout for Susan Collins?

I was thinking about the upcoming anniversary of Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health, which overturned Roe v Wade. Why hasn't Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) paid the price of being hoodwinked by Gorsuch and Kavanaugh? Yeah, she was upbraided by several pundits but her sharpest criticism was that their decisions were "inconsistent" with their testimony and the interviews she had with them.

Frankly, I'm still pretty angry that she seemed to get away from the fallout fairly unscathed.

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2023 12:54 AM

Because Republicans (aka the neofascists) don't suffer for their treachery and treason.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 8:44 PM

[quote]her sharpest criticism was that their decisions were "inconsistent" with their testimony and the interviews she had with them.

They Grosuch and Kavanaugh voted exactly they way she knew they would from the moment they were nominated. Neither she nor anyone else is bothering to pretend otherwise.

This has all worked out exactly as planned and intended. The fantasy that she was ever some sort of moderate was always absurd. She merely voted as she knew she needed to continue to win office.

She's 70 and been in office since 1997. Her rationalization and justification tour doesn't need to start until next year if she plans to run again.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 8:51 PM

I love her impression of 'Mrs Garrett' from 'The Facts of Life' every time she talks on camera.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 8:56 PM

None. Senators don't experience "Fallout". She will be up for re-election in 2026. In 2020, she was WIDELY expected to lose her seat--she was always polling many points behind the Democrat and didn't just pull off a victory--she won 51-42. Interesting to note in past 20 years, there have never been unexpected Democratic upsets at statewide level but Republicans win like this every cycle. (While D's have won in difficult areas, its never by surprise--or by a lot).

A lot of her meetings and appearances are probably with Republican groups in the state. You think they're giving her shit over this? They love it.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 9:07 PM

This thread is concerning.

I’m concerned.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 10:19 PM

I can’t wait until this crazy bitch dies.

by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2023 12:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!