Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tyne Daly and Liev Schreiber to Lead First Broadway Revival of 'Doubt'

Tony winners Tyne Daly and Liev Schreiber will star in the first Broadway revival of John Patrick Shanley’s 'Doubt: A Parable,' presented in February 2024 by Roundabout Theatre Company at the American Airlines Theatre. Scott Ellis, who is currently serving as the company’s interim artistic director, will helm the production.

In this 20th anniversary revival, Daly will play Sister Aloysius, the principal of an all-boys Catholic school who must wrestle with her conscience when she suspects that beloved parish priest Father Flynn (Schreiber) has molested the school’s first Black student. Complete casting is still to be announced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 7, 2024 9:39 AM

The Pulitzer Prize-winning drama was first presented in 2004 off-Broadway by Manhattan Theatre Club. It transferred to Broadway in 2005 with a cast headed by Cherry Jones, Brían F. O’Byrne, Adriane Lenox, and Heather Goldenhersh. Jones and Lenox, along with Shanley and director Doug Hughes, won Tony Awards for their work. Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Viola Davis, and Amy Adams led the film adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 7:01 PM

Give Daly the Tony now. She will blow the audience away in this role ! I can't wait to see this.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 7:03 PM

I saw Tyne walking on Santa Monica Blvd in WeHo about a month ago. She looked good!

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 7:03 PM

Why revive this boring, dreary piece of shit play?

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 7:07 PM

^^ Because supposedly the producers think it still has legs as Doubt's "20th anniversary" production.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 7:12 PM

Jesus...20 years.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 7:15 PM

It's going to be hard believing Schreiber as the "Irish Catholic Priest" in his role.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2023 7:16 PM

No thx.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 7:31 PM

I was just thinking about Tyne Daly the other day, wondering what she was up to these days!

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2023 7:50 PM

Tyne's Sister will be smiling a lot.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2023 7:52 PM

Is there something wrong with using the theatre thread or is OP just stupid?

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2023 8:01 PM

Cherry wasn’t even 50 in the original production and Meryl was 59 when she did the movie. Tyne is almost 80.

Melissa McCarthy would be my pick for Sister Aloysius - or Martha Plimpton.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2023 8:09 PM

Eileen Atkins replaced Cherry, and she was in her 70s. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2023 8:32 PM

If the priest is described as beloved by his Parish, it sounds like they would choose an actor who is older and is convincing as someone who has been serving there a long time. I'd love to see John Slattery in the role - Irish / Catholic priest and he would be 61 when this debuted.

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 8:43 PM

They need to cast Armie Hammer - great career comeback for him.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2023 8:47 PM

80s TV Ladies had Tyne on their podcast a couple months ago. It's a great interview!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 9:28 PM

Tyne looks like more of a man than Liev.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 9:28 PM

Nope, r17.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 9:42 PM

Kim Cattrall as the old nun

Catherine Zeta Jones as the young nun

Russell Tovey as the priest

Laverne Cocks as the mother

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 9:46 PM

I'm saving up an entire jar of my snot for whoever gets to play my role! It's essential for the part!

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 9:48 PM

Myles Frost will play the 'son'. He was so great as a child molester in "MJ", that he will now come back as the molested child.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2023 12:54 AM

Lucille Ball was up for the lead, but Gary had a seance and talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2023 1:06 AM

Speaking of Lucille Ball, Tyne Daly turned down starring in a movie remake of "Mame" to do this role.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2023 1:09 AM

This would have been the perfect vehicle for Beanie Feldstein and Ben Platt.

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2023 1:10 AM

[quote] Lucille Ball was up for the lead, but Gary had a seance and talked her out of it.

Boy did THAT joke never get old.

It doesn't even make any sense whatsoever here. Lucy was long dead when DOUBT premiered.

Find better material, hon. You're on auto-pilot.

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2023 1:12 AM

When I saw Tyne recently, she looked good and NOT almost 80. She looked about a very decent 55. I was like “how old is she because she was on tv when I was a kid”!

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2023 1:17 AM

[quote]It's going to be hard believing Schreiber as the "Irish Catholic Priest" in his role.

Doubt: Mrs. Maisel's Revenge

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2023 1:35 AM

R26 I think that's because Tyne always looked old and matronly. She was in her 30s and early 40s when 'Cagney and Lacey' was on, but she always came across a good 10 years older than that. Especially because they made Sharon Gless (who turned 80 yesterday) look so much younger and stylish than her - even though Gless is three years older than Daly.

When Daly was on 'Judging Amy' (1999-2005) she looked like she was pushing 70 with her gray hair and matronly, frumpy look. Poor thing was only in her 50s.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2023 1:36 AM

She's an amazing entertainer. I've never see her give a bad performance. I think she's tremendous.

And the best Gypsy I've ever seen. She acted the hell out of it and sang it as the character would have. Frank Rich said: [

quote]Ms. Daly, a television actress who might seem inappropriate to the task, follows Angela Lansbury in proving that not even Ethel Merman can own a character forever. Ms. Daly is not Merman, and she is not Ms. Lansbury. Her vocal expressiveness and attack have their limits (most noticeably in 'Mr. Goldstone'), and warmth is pointedly not her forte. But this fiercely committed actress tears into - at times claws into - Mama Rose, that 'pioneer woman without a frontier,' with a vengeance that exposes the darkness at the heart of 'Gypsy' as it hasn't been since Merman.

Thought she was also brilliant in 'Master Class." Still love her in C&L reruns; Mary Beth was an indelible character.

Okay, I'm a fan boy.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2023 1:52 AM

^^^Sorry I screwed up the quote.

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2023 1:53 AM

I saw her as 'Mama Rose', too, and was blown away be her. (I posted my experience the other day in the 'If mama was married' thread.

It was said back in 1996 that Andrew Lloyd Webber wanted her to replace Betty Buckley as Norma Desmond in 'Sunset Boulevard'. The story goes she refused ALW's offer, knowing how physically draining it was to run up and down the staircase numerous times in those heavy costumes, during each performance. After the physically demanding role of "Mama Rose" in 'Gypsy' , she swore she would never put her body through anything like that again.

In 2018, she was rumored to be on the short-list to replace Bette Midler in 'Hello Dolly' - again, she took her hat out of the ring due to the physical demands of the role.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2023 2:06 AM

Racy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2023 3:37 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2023 3:57 AM

What the fuck kind of name is “Tyne?” Can she please not?

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2023 4:03 AM

Tyne Daly showed up in the last segment of the Coen Bros. movie The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Good for her.

Off topic, I hit puberty when we didn't have internet or we had limited shared internet, but I used to jerk off thinking about Tim Daly and Steven Weber during summer breaks when for some reason there were huge blocks of time on USA network devoted to reruns of Wings. I also used to think Tyne Daly was Tim Daly's mom or aunt.

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2023 4:25 AM

[quote] Off topic, I hit puberty when we didn't have internet or we had limited shared internet, but I used to jerk off thinking about

The line broke right there, and I was terrified it was going to continue on the next line with Tyne Daly's name.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2023 4:53 AM

It's amazing to think that in the 1970s she was considered beautiful enough to play an action hero's love interest.

Now she could pass for Rosie O'Donnell's older sister. But the years are hard on everyone.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2023 4:55 AM

I’ve wanted Liev to dick me down forever. Never will happen but a girl can dream.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2023 4:58 AM

Tyne was pretty much always a character actress and obviously quite satisfied about it. She didn't want the Lynda Day George roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2023 5:00 AM

Chris, lemme tell ya: cop feet weren't meant for hooker shoes.

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2023 5:04 AM

So true...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2023 5:06 AM

Susan Dey will take over the lead when Tyne leaves the show.

by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2023 5:11 AM

Yassssss r41!

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2023 5:28 AM

I love fantasy bookings. Let's cast the subsequent replacements using the same criteria of 80's/90's thespiany actress of television fame, and 90's thespiany indie actor who appeared in one of those Sundancey, dialogue-heavy, smarty-pants, post-college friend-group dramedies with female castmates like Catherine Keener, Anne Heche, Hope Davis, Parker Posey, etc.

Josh Hamilton as Father Flynn Jane Curtin as Sister Cherry Jones

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2023 5:36 AM

R38 me too. He's the epitome of my type.

Alas. Never happening for either of us.

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2023 6:26 AM

This sounds like the kind of "WTF?" casting, similar to Rosie O'Donnell & Harvey Fierstein as the leads in Fiddler On The Roof

by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2023 12:18 PM

R34 Her birth name is Ellen Tyne Daly. I believe Tyne was the name of her grandmother, who emigrated here from Ireland (it's a popular Irish name). She used her middle name when she joined SAG because an 'Ellen Daly' was already registered. I remember all this from an interview she gave when she was on Broadway, opening in GYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2023 1:04 PM

Do you think Tyne suggested Tim play the priest?

by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2023 1:07 PM

[quote]similar to Rosie O'Donnell & Harvey Fierstein as the leads in Fiddler On The Roof

I didn't see Rosie, r46, but Harvey acquitted himself just fine as Tevye.

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2023 2:27 PM

Not anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 6, 2024 9:34 PM

I didn’t like it the first time.

by Anonymousreply 51February 6, 2024 9:40 PM

Good luck getting tears out of some heifer 8 times a week

by Anonymousreply 52February 6, 2024 9:55 PM

Tyne Daly out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 7, 2024 1:52 AM

R53 this has me very worried for her. The timing of the official story is sus. Is it possible she can no longer remember lines?

by Anonymousreply 54February 7, 2024 4:48 AM

Liev Schreiber is creepy with his kids, one is trans now. He admitted to do all sorts of naked shit with them and dressed up the trans one like a whore. Basically, this okay is appropriate for him.

by Anonymousreply 55February 7, 2024 4:52 AM

[quote]It's going to be hard believing Schreiber as the "Irish Catholic Priest" in his role

He was fine as Irish-American Ray Donovan, I thought.

by Anonymousreply 56February 7, 2024 9:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!