Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever worked on a cruise ship? What was it like?

I saw one pass today at the docklands and it got me thinking. It seems like fun, but in reality, it would probably be just like working at the mall, but at sea.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2023 2:10 AM

You sign a contract for so many months or cruises. Ships are typically not under American labor laws. You share a small cabin with one other person if not three. All the meals are buffet style. Alcohol isn’t free but quite affordable. No fooling around with the guests but it’s typically tolerated with other crew. Crew have their own work out rooms and bars and sometimes a pool depending on the ship. Lots of chances to see different ports of call. Rules of behavior are pretty strict and you can be kicked off the ship in the middle of a cruise if really break them.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 5:45 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 5:48 PM

I haven't but there's a lot of good first hand accounts on YouTube. It looks like a decent gig, especially if you're not strictly service (like being an entertainer, cook, etc), and if you're young/ single. Reminds me of college dorm living. A nice way to travel, save money, and make friends. I wouldn't want it as a career forever though.

Are you thinking about it OP?

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 5:49 PM

I've never worked on a ship, but seeing the crew in action makes me think that Triangle of Sadness got it right: white people from developed countries hold the higher ranking jobs, while still being subjected to the whims of passengers (alas, I was not on a cruise with crazy Russians), but people from Asia & Eastern European countries generally had menial jobs, while working long hours like dogs. We spoke to a waiter from the Philippines he more or less indicated that hated the job, but had no other options to support his family

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 5:50 PM

R1, what’s the employee bar like? Who bartends? Any obvious alcoholics working on the ship? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 5:51 PM

r3 I would have liked to when I was younger but feel too old now.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 5:52 PM

I worked as a bartender on gay cruises (atlantis) when I was 24. I had little bartending experience but I fit the look I guess. "Can you bartend shirtless?" lol. Hooking up with guests was a no-no but I did a few times if they were especially hot. Made great tips even with drink package people. You would not believe the amount of drugs or maybe you would. I would see people doing G bombs in the open at the pool parties. I would refuse to serve them if saw them doing G because I know how fucking bad that is but then someone else would just get them a drink. I was disillusioned once working a gay cruise. It does not look like the poster. Sure there are some hot guys but the majority are just average guys, not that there is anything wrong with that it's just the posters made you think omg it's going to be a muscle orgie.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2023 6:14 PM

YES!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF NEEDY OLD GUYS!

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 7:40 PM

R7, what's a G bomb? I did look it up.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2023 8:02 PM

What R9 said.

If I were younger I might like to do it as it seems like a good way to travel. When I was ubering between jobs some years ago I would routinely pick up workers going shopping at the local Target to get personal items and we'd chat. I met some dancers and some electricians that worked the cruises. All young and single. They said it was fun but a lot of work and little down time.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2023 8:22 PM

R4, the way I look at it, every Filipino person working on a cruise ship is another Filipino person not working in a Middle Eastern country.

They are mostly very wonderful people and I hate to think what they go through working in the Middle East.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2023 9:55 PM

A g bomb is GHB in a small balloon that you pop in your mouth and wash it down or just swallow. Basically it was a single dose and a way to do it because you can very easily overdose on it and that is not fun.

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2023 1:22 AM

Nope, but I worked a cruise ship once. Hot, fun times.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2023 2:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!