Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stores going back to the future for safety?

This was in the "Chicago's north side is gone" thread and I actually thought about this several times when I was reading about these flash theft mobs in various places.

Would you shop in a store where they had to get the items for you vs having them on a shelf?

This was how it used to be in many stores years ago......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 4, 2023 10:11 PM

I rarely enter a Walgreens as it is, if this were universally adopted it would ensure I never set foot in one again. The more stores that do this (though I understand why they do), the more I'll turn to online shopping.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 4:48 PM

A necessity in many places. Hell, look at the threads here where posters brag about shoplifting. I'm surprised all stores, everywhere, don't do this.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 4:48 PM

I would be more willing to do this if it made things more efficient and easier. If it meant that the store would actually have it in stock, etc.

So many stores are so bad about having things in stock, even before COVID. They all wanted to cut overstock/backstock so they understocked and would always be out of something. If this eliminated some of that, I'd kinda be into it. Also if it meant payment, etc would all be taken care of beforehand, and just make it a pickup thing? Sure.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 4:53 PM

I would not “Browse” in these stores. Eliminating browsing would destroy the profitability of retail because many purchases are done on impulse.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 4:57 PM

Depends on whether I knew exactly what I wanted or whether I needed to compare several items before deciding.

However, they're going to find that sales are going to go down since I often impulse purchase something if it's something I need and happen to see on a shelf.

Depending on the amount of theft, I question whether reduce losses from theft will offset impulse purchases or upsell because a customer buys the next size up, rather than their intended purchase.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 4:58 PM

No ducking waybeill I wait around for an item to be unlocked. They do this in stores with only a few areas locked up and they just never get around to helping you.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 5:03 PM

They’re now locking up toothpaste at my local CVS.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2023 5:13 PM

FREE MY TYLENOL!

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 5:15 PM

And who exactly is going to be retrieving all these products for customers ? The zoomers who want to make a bomb salary and do nothing ?

This will never, ever work. They may as well close these locations down.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2023 5:21 PM

I totally agree with R2 and R4. If I cannot "shop," then it is all going to be online. And there goes impulse buying. This will be a disaster!

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2023 5:53 PM

It worked for us. Oh, wait...

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2023 9:16 PM

[quote]Hell, look at the threads here where posters brag about shoplifting.

Sure, Jan

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2023 9:19 PM

R2 misspelled “Heil,” r12.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2023 10:16 PM

I’ll live in Timbuktu before I’d live like that.

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 10:20 PM

[quote]I’ll live in Timbuktu before I’d live like that.

Please do, r14.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2023 10:30 PM

Who remembers Service Merchandise?

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 10:34 PM

I'm really enjoying the general prison vibe of American life

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 10:48 PM

[quote]I'm really enjoying the general prison vibe of American life

You, r17, you're a complainer. At least complain about something *worth* complaining about.

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 10:52 PM

R18 I said I like it

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 11:00 PM

I remember Service Merchandise. It was a great store; ahead of its time. More retail stores should adopt that concept.

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 11:02 PM

They wouldn't have to do this if the Democrats criminalized shoplifting and went after the perpetrators, but that would require them to arrest/prosecute mostly black people and they would rather let things go to hell than be thought of as 'racist.'

In short, the Dems are overcompensating for having enforced slavery and Jim Crow laws and founding the Ku Klux Klan. They have a major hang up about that. Thus, the extreme white guilt.

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2023 11:11 PM

They're taking away a quintessential American past time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2023 11:24 PM

r21, yawn...

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2023 11:52 PM

I wouldn't shop at a store where people shoplift.

by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2023 11:58 PM

You do you, r24.

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2023 12:01 AM

Even as a semi elder gay, this was before my time ...

A department store (local) in my town up until the early 80's, had a tube system. They had items you could look at/inspect, but if you wanted to buy it, there was a tube system (like a bank drive through). You filled out an order, gave it to an employee, and they sent the order ... somewhere, you paid for it, and in a few minutes an employee brought it out.

The system wasn't quick or efficient, but it was secure.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2023 12:09 AM

The deepest, darkest recesses of R21's mind (or what's left of it) are truly frightening places.

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2023 12:21 AM

Just have the store experience so you can browse the aisles physically but not remove items from shelves. I see something I want, even an impulse buy, and I touch the screen by the item. All my items are then collected bagged and waiting for me at check out. Get off your lazy asses Walgreen's clerks. You'll need to put some pepper on it or be replaced by robots in a year.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2023 12:25 AM

I shop Walgreens online where the prices are frequently better than in-store and discount coupons about.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2023 12:29 AM

Hell no! I've experienced this at Walgreens. Went down the street to CVS and no problem.

I don't even like waiting for the check at restaurants. Give them my credit card as soon as they put down the meal.

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2023 1:05 AM

I still shop out of the catalog from Sears & Roebuck.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2023 1:10 AM

"I SAID DO YOU HAVE THE TRIPLE-X ADULT HEAVY-DUTY LADY DIAPERS WITH BUILT-IN MAXI-TAMPONS AND PLEASE HURRY?"

"Huh?"

[bold]"I SAID DO YOU HAVE THE TRIPLE-X ADULT HEAVY-DUTY LADY DIAPERS WITH BUILT-IN MAXI-TAMPONS AND FOR FUCK'S SAKE WOULD YOU PLEASE HURRY?"[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2023 1:25 AM

I recently needed a can of shaving cream. I was on my way home, stopped at a light in the suburbs, and a Walmart was right there. I had been to two Targets already in the days prior, and they had no shaving gels except the $10-12 kind, which is outrageous. I found a $1.98 can of Edge shaving gel at the Walmart. It was locked inside a shelving unit, inside a "cosmetics" area, that forces you pay for stuff from that area before you can walk out into the paper towel aisle and the rest of the store.

Why the fuck are they locking up cheap things like a can of Edge shaving gel? The 99¢ emery boards were a shelf over.

I remember when stores started locking up razor blades when they got very expensive. But shaving gel and emery boards? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2023 1:34 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2023 1:44 AM

I don’t know about the suburbs but in NYC homeless steal handfuls of whatever and then get a few bucks from the corner bodega - cheap shaving cream is perfect - easy to resell.

The Hells Kitchen Target has most toiletries locked up now, but the store is small and there are always one or two dedicated “unlock” employees right there to help you out.

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2023 1:47 AM

In my corner deli I’ve also seen them trade a few bottles of shampoo for a little bit of copper scouring pad that they use to smoke crack.

There are a lot more people on the edge than there were before the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2023 1:56 AM

R26 In our area those stores were called Service Merchandise and David Weis.

IKEA does this now, to some degree. Obviously most of its goods and wares are available for self-service selection but a certain amount of their stuff is having to order and pickup within the store (or sometimes at a nearby warehouse).

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2023 2:00 AM

Sooner or later, what's left of brand-name brick and mortar stores will turn into 'showrooms' with a dummy product, and consumers will have to order on-line. Stores will have to offer same-day or next-day delivery. Customers might actually like it better - they can leave the store and not have to lug heavy shopping bags home.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2023 2:11 AM

Ikea has always done that for the super bulky items - like wardrobes. Even in the 90s my (actually very well made) leather Ikea couch had to be ordered at the store and then delivered.

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2023 2:14 AM

Good 👍

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2023 2:14 AM

R24 Must be sad to only do shopping in your moms basement.

by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2023 2:18 AM

R39 It makes sense for any furniture store, and always has. But for simpler things like a pair of shoes, a coat, or a piece of jewelry - it's going to be a whole new ballgame for consumers of tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2023 2:21 AM

There are two corner convenience stores two blocks from my apartment, and this year one of them started locking up their beers in the back, so you have to walk back to the front of the store, ask them for the key, give them your ID, and they hand you the key attached to a giant metal spoon. I understand the reasoning, but I've never been back and now go across the street instead. (This is Portland)

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2023 2:23 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2023 2:29 AM

R43 Portland, Oregon? Portland, Maine?

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2023 3:04 AM

The core issue is kids aren’t disciplined or taught respect and right/wrong. Horrible society.

by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2023 4:38 AM

[quote]the Walmart.

Oh, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2023 11:51 AM

Have thefts gone up? Why is that? Why do we settle for the ghettofication of stores? We need to deghettofy this world.

Get people out of poverty. Programs for education. The third world, places like Eastern Europe don't care about their fellow man and leave people in poverty. This is why these places suck. Get people out of poverty. Spend wisely on ways that helps society.

by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2023 12:33 PM

R46 So true. Kids are now brought up to do whatever they want (have zero respect for others) and when they face the consequences for their actions, play the victim.

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2023 1:07 PM

I can’t stand having toiletries locked up. I’m furious with the lowlife people who have made this possible by stealing.

by Anonymousreply 50June 4, 2023 10:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!