Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did anyone here see the 1968 remake of "Laura", starring Lee Radziwill?

I've been looking for this movie for months, and still no luck. It's description make me think that it is a masterwork of camp. I heard it was so bad that it sunk any chance Lee had of being a legitimate actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 4:29 PM

This is definitely the right place to ask who has seen a movie that hasn't aired in 55 years, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 3:57 PM

Here’s an interview with Lee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 4:01 PM

[quote]This is definitely the right place to ask who has seen a movie that hasn't aired in 55 years, OP.

Well...I watched it. I remember it/her being rather...blah. Not bad enough to be camp, just underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 4:17 PM

yes... I saw it in high school. vand of course remember nothing about it.

I remember there was tremendous hype because of Capote, Susskind, and the Jackie connection....

Lee really must have had her head up her ass. (she had done Philadelphia Story live on stage in Chicago

yikes! which DLer saw that?

from wikipedia below......

Laura is a 1968 American TV film, a remake of the 1944 film of the same name. It was directed by John Llewellyn Moxey and written by Truman Capote and Thomas Phipps.[1] David Susskind produced.[2]

The film had previously been adapted for television in 1955. Cast

Sanders as Waldo Lydecker Robert Stack as Mark McPherson Arlene Francis as Mrs. Ann Treadwell Farley Granger as Shelby Carpenter Lee Radziwill (billed as "Lee Bouvier") as Laura Hunt

Production Truman Capote was friends with Lee Radziwill who wanted to act and had made her stage debut in a revival of The Philadelphia Story. He met up with David Susskind and told him, "Lee Radiziwill is going to be an actress and I think we should all put something together for her. I'm sure that she'll be so good I'll write it for her myself."[3]

Susskind thought Radziwill "wasn't very good" in her stage performance "but I thought maybe I saw a glimmer of something in her performance. The television companies had noticed the publicity, so it looked like we could set something up."[3]

Capote wrote an adaptation of The Voice of the Turtle for her but Susskind worried it would be too difficult. So he suggested they do Laura.[4]

Michael Dyne reportedly rewrote Capote's script.[5]

The show was taped in London in October 1967. Robert Stack and George Sanders reprised roles they had performed on TV in the 1955 version.[6][3] Stack recalled in his memoirs that "the production resembled a junior high school effort."[7]

Reception Critical reception to Radziwill's performance was hostile.[8] The Chicago Tribune called it the "worst drama" of the season in which Radziwill was "unbelievably bad".[9] Another review in The Washington Post said it was "disappointing all round."[10] The New York Times called it "so laboured and so dull that the occasion was just a laboured walk through."[11]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 4:25 PM

I remember it being on and somewhat of an event, but not much about performances, sets, costumes, etc. Just that it was Jackie's sister. I have a very strong memory of the [bold]spoiler alert! [/bold] grandfather clock.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 4:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!