Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dario Argento’s Suspiria

I have a few questions about Argento’s Suspiria from 1977. I’ve always understood Olga to be a witch in training but was Mark also a witch/warlock in training? He seemed to witness more of the witches’ evil deeds and was okay with it. Or was he naive as hell?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2023 2:32 PM

One of the few remakes that I actually liked.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 2:19 PM

Yes

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 2:24 PM

Thank you, R2.

I also wonder if Suzy’s aunt was a witch because Madame Blanc mentions she knew her aunt in New York.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 3:51 PM

Tilda Swinton is great in this.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 4:58 PM

Tilda Swinton was 17 years old when this was made. Did she play one of the students?

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 6:15 PM

[quote]Tilda Swinton was 17 years old when this was made. Did she play one of the students?

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but the poster was referring to the remake.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 6:20 PM

The remake is a long, increasingly dull slog with an ending that generates laughter. Even Swinton couldn't save it.

The original at least has some real suspense and scares, even if the plot is bonkers.

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2023 6:27 PM

I totally disagree r7. In my book the remake is way better than the original. Luca is fantastic as the director

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 6:41 PM

I'm with r8 in this one! When it comes to remakes, this one is great!

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2023 6:44 PM

Op here. I agree the remake is great but it’s almost an entirely different story. Also, I miss the color palette of the technicolor 3-strip process the original was printed on.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2023 9:12 PM

The remake is shit.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2023 9:15 PM

R11, Inferno is worse.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2023 9:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2023 9:32 PM

R13 Oh loved Inferno as well. All such beautiful, nasty nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 10:10 PM

Argento's films are so iconic (especially Suspiria) doing a remake just doesn't make sense. It would be like doing a remake of a John Waters movie. Tilda Swinton as Connie Marble! A dark dreary drama about the underground adoption scene in 1970s Baltimore. Some films just aren't meant to be remade. Guadanigno seems kind of retarded if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2023 11:42 PM

Guadanigno himself said it was less of a remake and more of a reimagining. The central plot-- girl goes to a foreign country to attend a dance school that ends up being a secret coven of witches-- is intriguing and general enough to inspire many different interpretations. While I appreciate Argento's saturated and surreal version, I found the "realism" and fleshed out plot of the remake more satisfying. It depends on your personal taste.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2023 2:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!