Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

House of Representatives passes debt ceiling override.

Whew!

By a vote of 314 yea and 117 nay, the house passed the override bill, saving the country from falling over the edge and taking the rest of the world with it. You or your parents will get their social security checks and your IRA won’t crash down to nothing. The Senate promises to act quickly, and President Biden is ready with pen in hand to sign the bill.

They did it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 3, 2023 1:41 AM

Surprise! Sen. Sanders will vote no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 3:14 AM

Time for Dems to purge the progressives.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 3:21 AM

So when is the next time this will become an issue again? This time next year, or sooner?

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 3:23 AM

Joe got two years in the deal, r3.

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 3:25 AM

[quote]Time for Dems to purge the progressives.

You really don't know how things work, do you, r2?

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 3:26 AM

Doesn't have to be renegotiated until January 2025.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 3:27 AM

Dark Brandon triumphs yet again!

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2023 3:27 AM

Biden doing what he's done for almost three years: Getting shit done.

Love him.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 3:28 AM

r4 Thanks. Great that this won't become an election issue.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2023 3:30 AM

Agree with r8!

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2023 3:31 AM

[quote]Surprise! Sen. Sanders will vote no.

That old jagoff and his "Justice" Democrats have never done a fucking thing for anyone but themselves! Bernie Sanders is the biggest pimple on the ass of progress ever minted with the embarrassing AOC, Ilan Omar and the rat-fucking Pramila Jayapal right behind him. I hate those Dem-hater do-nothings with the fire of 10,000 suns!

Remember, they frequently vote the same way as Matt Gaetz, but always have "reasons'. Sure. I'm betting they did this time, but looking it up now.

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2023 3:35 AM

Joe handled this masterfully, r9.

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2023 3:45 AM

For months the Repugs have been saying Biden is senile and gaga -and now they have to admit that they were outfoxed by him.

Makes my week.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2023 3:52 AM

Never bet against Joe

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 3:52 AM

O'Donnell layed it out last night. Joe did come out of it looking like a flip-flopper, but handled the situation beautifully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2023 4:06 AM

[quote]Time for Dems to purge

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 10:35 AM

Mighty Uncle Joe!

I’m sad about the cap on research spending cap obviously, but I suspect Dark Brandon has a plan for that.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 11:43 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 12:01 PM

Performanative Progressives can go sit in the corner with the Freedumb Caucas.

Way to go to President Joe Biden and everyone who voted YEA! for this!

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 12:09 PM

Where do we find a list of what's getting cut?

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 12:18 PM

A friend of mine texted me that she had received her June social security check in her account this morning. She was nervous as a cat in a briar patch.

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2023 12:18 PM

Perfect cartoon at R18. Dark Brandon just keeps letting the cons think he's too senile to find his pants. And they go on falling for it.

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2023 12:22 PM

With each passing accomplishment, the Repukes’ default argument — that Joe Biden is too senile to string together a sentence — becomes more ludicrous. He has this uncanny ability to get things done, express empathy and other normal human emotions, and not cause a daily dose of chaos and turbulence.

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2023 12:43 PM

Non-defense discretionary spending is flat from 2023 in 2024 and limited to 1% in 2025 Sylvia. The specific levels by agency still need to be set, but the expectation is this will negatively impact NSF, NIH, NASA and ARPA-H which were all expecting big increases for new initiatives.

by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2023 1:40 PM

Thanks, EL. I really want to know if this will affect the $5 billion for planned research into new and better COVID vaccines, in which case, I'll be truly pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2023 1:46 PM

It will not. That is specifically protected.

by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2023 1:59 PM

Here’s a simplified version of what’s in the building, R20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2023 4:59 PM

R21, the deadline was set for Monday the 5th, and the first social security checks don’t come out until Wednesday the 7th. Your friend might be making this up. Both my parents are on S.S. So I know a little about this.

by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2023 5:06 PM

For you government and political junkies, here is a more detailed account of the debt ceiling bill from today’s Electoral Vote website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2023 5:11 PM

[quote]and the first social security checks don’t come out until Wednesday the 7th.

Wrong, r28.

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2023 5:14 PM

Please explain R30.

by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2023 5:57 PM

[quote] , the deadline was set for Monday the 5th, and the first social security checks don’t come out until Wednesday the 7th. Your friend might be making this up. Both my parents are on S.S. So I know a little about this.

Wrong. My SS funds went in this morning.

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2023 5:58 PM

I get mine on the 3rd, r31.

by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2023 5:59 PM

Interesting R30 and 32.

I apparently I don’t know shit about the S.S. system, or they do it differently in other places.

Mea culpa.

by Anonymousreply 34June 1, 2023 6:03 PM

Typical of the NY Times today that their stories are more about how McCarthy managed to exceed expectations in negotiating the bill (it wasn't him or Biden who did most of that anyway), and more mixed about Biden due to his initial "I won't bargain" stance.

I agree that the WH underestimated McCarthy re: getting the initial spending bill passed. But the Times just can't get their heads out their asses with their "Biden needs to retire NOW" attitude.

by Anonymousreply 35June 1, 2023 6:36 PM

[quote]and more mixed about Biden due to his initial "I won't bargain" stance

Lol...you start from that position. It's called strategy.

by Anonymousreply 36June 1, 2023 6:53 PM

Article at r27:

[quote] McCarthy said the deal was "historic," as it would amount to "cutting spending year-over-year for the first time in over a decade."

McCarthy sucks at mathematics!

by Anonymousreply 37June 1, 2023 6:59 PM

R25/Sylvia ironically this might theoretically start that initiative faster. One thing the debt ceiling agreement does do is clawback previous COVID appropriation money that wasn’t obligated. Now let’s say NIAID was going to start the new vaccine funding in FFY 2023 by re-directing the previously appropriated but not yet obligated $$. Well in the absence of the debt ceiling bill they might have put out an RFP with a June due date and made the awards on or before September 30. But, theoretically, they could have realized that that plan was no longer viable and they needed to get that $$ obligated by COB today before the Senate voted.

Speaking completely theoretically of course.

by Anonymousreply 38June 1, 2023 9:48 PM

And the Senate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 3, 2023 1:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!