Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cool DJ Clint Eastwood Undercut by Whack Job Jessica Walter in "Play Misty For Me"

Before there was "Fatal Attraction," there was Clint's nifty thriller Play Misty For Me. While Eastwood is good as the womanizer DJ, Jessica Walter is a wow as the shagadelic psycho! Twice the thrills of "Fatal Attraction" and half hour shorter! My fun take here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 1, 2023 11:24 AM

Donna Mills sports a shag too

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2023 10:30 PM

Why do their heads look pasted on?

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2023 10:37 PM

I *hate* shags. Hated them then. Hate them now.

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2023 10:45 PM

Borderline Personality Disorder. The sassy black maid gets cut up.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2023 10:51 PM

Buck would never wear a shag.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2023 10:53 PM

I love this film. I'll watch any time I see it listed. Jessica Walter was not very nice to that poor maid. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2023 11:15 PM

[quote]Twice the thrills of "Fatal Attraction" and half hour shorter!

That's not true

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2023 11:22 PM

I only love this film for Walters who is OTT crazy in it

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2023 11:30 PM

Just came out on blu ray with Kino Lorber!

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2023 11:31 PM

It’s amazing what a man will go through for a hot pastrami sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2023 11:35 PM

Clint. What a dumb name. He's gorgeous here, prettier than his female costars!

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2023 11:37 PM

Mr. POTUS squints like Clint dumb name Eastwood.

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2023 11:39 PM

When I first saw this as a kid I thought Carmel was the coolest place in the world and thought Clint's house was the grooviest.

by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2023 11:39 PM

I've been to Carmel once and thought it was lovely...

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2023 11:53 PM

R7 You're right, Play Misty For Me is only about 20ish minutes shorter. It's most certainly better, however.

by Anonymousreply 15May 31, 2023 11:56 PM

Here's the poor housekeeper finding Evelyn making a mess of Dave's bachelor pad...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 12:02 AM

It was a popular movie.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 12:02 AM

The housekeeper staying put while "Misty" is tearing up the place was a dumb bimbo move

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 12:09 AM

Imagine what Ann B. Davis could have done with the role of Birdie, the housekeeper!

by Anonymousreply 19June 1, 2023 12:19 AM

I grew up there, and this movie was on constantly. Love it!

by Anonymousreply 20June 1, 2023 12:22 AM

Jessica's shag was only half as bad as G's perm, but her acting was only half as good.

by Anonymousreply 21June 1, 2023 12:48 AM

It’s a perfectly fine movie, but I really love its backstory. I think the making of the movie would make for an even better movie than the movie itself.

So many interesting stories — about the screenplay (first draft by Jo Heims, former dancer and model and pal of Eastwood’s), Eastwood getting to direct (finally), Don Siegel helping him out while playing the bartender, the production being moved to Carmel so Eastwood could shoot in houses of friends and at bars he knew, filming at the Monterey jazz festival, Walter being cast at Eastwood’s insistence because she was damn good in “The Group,” despite the studio execs wanting other actresses, etc.

Just a great story, very early 70s Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 22June 1, 2023 1:05 AM

Hey Bootsy, Wonder if there's ever been a book or long mag article about the making of "Misty?"

by Anonymousreply 23June 1, 2023 1:18 AM

[quote]r22 I really love its backstory. I think the making of the movie would make for an even better movie than the movie itself.

What isn’t usually discussed is the film was originally shot as a sitcom pilot. When it didn’t rate well with test audiences, a new ending was shot, the laugh track was eliminated, etc.

Thus is great cinema sometimes born.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 1, 2023 1:41 AM

There was a documentary made about it, r23, years ago (but also made many years after the movie was).

by Anonymousreply 25June 1, 2023 1:45 AM

"Fatal Attraction" had a more extended reference to "Madame Butterfly."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 1, 2023 1:51 AM

Starring with the late Mr. Maharis...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 1, 2023 1:56 AM

the trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 1, 2023 1:58 AM

Today is Eastwood's 93rd birthday, and he is planning to direct a new movie (Juror #2). He has directed 45 movies in 52 years. Whatever you think of his work, the endurance is pretty amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 1, 2023 2:02 AM

Terrible fashions in the 1970s. Only a natural beauty like Clint Eastwood could wear those clothings and hairstyles and not suffer for it. Even Donna Mills looks like a frump in these fashions. I saw this movie as a kid and didn't understand why Eastwood wasn't interested in an "exciting" woman like, "Misty".

Favorite scene? Misty running up on him during a business meeting and insulting his potential employer.

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2023 2:06 AM

Thanks Bootsy, that was interesting to read!

by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2023 2:10 AM

My mother's friend saw him in Carmel in the 80's and "accidentally" on purpose rubbed up against him and he was nice about it. I don't know about his politics or what kind of husband/boyfriend he is, but from locals he sounds like a good guy and he has made some good films.

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2023 2:10 AM

R22 Additional detail about the prep: Sondra Locke, fresh from her Oscar nomination for The Hear is a Lonely Hunter, read for the part for Eastwood, he turned her down and picked Walter. Several years later he cast Locke for The Outlaw Josey Wales, and the rest is ... good, bad and ugly history.

by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2023 2:14 AM

I didn't know that about Locke. She was only 3 years younger than Walter, but, like Sissy Spacek, looked much younger than her actual age; that might have given the character's obsession more of a older Daddy angle, even though Eastwood looks great at 40.

by Anonymousreply 34June 1, 2023 2:20 AM

There was a great reference to Jessica Walter's "Misty" in "Arrested Development": When Lucille Bluth's daughter has a quick flashback to Mommie sticking her head in her bedroom door, scolding, "You're going to get fat!" Dressed in Evelyn Draper '70s drag!

by Anonymousreply 35June 1, 2023 11:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!