Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The NY Times on the 50th anniversary of 'Sybil'

Multiple personalities were all the rage back then, but 'Sybil' fell apart when it was revealed to be a collaboration between a writer who wanted attention and a doctor who was pretty crazy herself.

Alexandra Jacobs writes:

[quote]The book is a historical curiosity and [bold]a cautionary tale of mass cultural delusion that makes one wonder what current voguish diagnoses[/bold] — witness the “TikTok tics” — might warrant closer interrogation.

[quote]The notion of multiple personalities has remained big business. During its brief tenure in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders from 1980 to 1994, [bold]cases mushroomed among the female populace[/bold], along with a fever of recovered memories stoked by another since discredited book, “Michelle Remembers.” [bold]Perhaps never before or since has the medical profession been so entwined with story. What could be more dramatic, more compelling, than a protagonist and numerous supporting players in one body?[/bold] (The manual now describes the condition less suggestively, as dissociative identity disorder.)

Thank goodness nothing like that could happen today!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2023 12:38 PM

Hey! Hey, over here! You're not gonna pretend you can't see me, are ya? Look harder; I'm the one in the cat ears, choker, and striped thigh-highs!

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2023 4:09 AM

I don't like this article atall.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2023 4:14 AM

[italic]You hold your water, young lady!

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2023 4:32 AM

Read the book when I was maybe 12 or 13 in the 1970's because it was in the family bookcase. My mom was into these psychodrama novels and trendy diagnoses. Wasn't sure about all the multiple personalities, but was shocked about the parental abuse. We had a fairly dysfunctional family, but nothing on that scale. Knowing I'd read the book, she'd say things like, "If you don't clean your room and mow the lawn, you'll soon be hanging upside down in the closet with an ice water enema". Both of us laughing hysterically. Damnit, I miss her. We watched the TV movie together with Sally Field, which was quite powerful at the time. A few years later while sitting around at the breakfast table reading the Sunday paper, she leers at me above her reading glasses and quietly diagnoses me, declaring "You have moderate to severe Tourette's Syndrome". Until that moment, I'd never used a four-letter word in her presence, but now the flood gates were open!

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2023 6:54 AM

Sorry but who gives a shit about the opinion of a NYT book critic on mental health care and psychiatry? She's a literary critic. Give me an opinion about the book and spare me the editorialising on social issues you aren't qualified to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2023 7:02 AM

Multiple personalities seems like an extreme form of compartmentalization.

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2023 7:16 AM

That book and movie traumatized me. The descriptions of the torture were just stomach turning. The woman who played the mother was terrifying. She even scared the shit out of me in Splendor in the Grass.

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2023 10:48 AM

For those who want the opinions of mental health experts and not NYT critics, there is no shortage of literature about multiple personality disorder being a big, dangerous crock of shit.

Richard Ofshe's "Making Monsters" is a good place to start and presents it as part of a cluster of horrible trends that fed off each other, including recovered memory therapy and false accusations of Satanic ritual abuse. Journalist Debbie Nathan's "Sybil Exposed" also unravels many Sybil lies.

There's an upcoming documentary about "Michelle Remembers" that will reignite interest in Satanic panic. I just read the original book and was disgusted to realize it would still be taken seriously today, if only by QAnon cultists and the dissociative identity disorder loons of TikTok.

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2023 11:43 AM

I'm puzzled by r5's post.

I didn't comprehend the NY Times article as the writer giving an opinion on mental health care and psychiatry.

I read it at her commenting on the social impact of the topics of the books.

As for "Sybil" the movie, it created, what was then, sensational, broadcast, event TV. I was a kid when it aired. Even then, deep down, I really didn't buy it.

I do remember Sally Field's mesmerizing performance as "Sybil" and thinking, "Wow, this ain't Sister Bertille".

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2023 12:05 PM

So was it schizophrenia? There was something seriously wrong with Sybil. I never bought the multiple personalities nonsense even as a kid. But the movie Sybil was a cracking good time! It was must watch TV each time it was played. I was pretty young when it was released—grade school. My friends and I all were captivated/terrified by it. I think our parents let us watch it because it made them look good in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2023 12:29 PM

Water for everyone.

Now HOLD IT! HOLD YOUR WATER!

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2023 12:34 PM

Should Sally return her Emmy? Let's do a podcast about it...

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2023 12:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!