Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Leslie Van Houten should be paroled court says

This overrides Gavin Newsom’s decision. I think she’s no longer a threat . Leslie has been a model prisoner and great role model and mentor for other female inmates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2023 7:15 AM

Judge praised her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2023 2:06 AM

It's only ego that makes us think we are able to rehabilitate anyone like her she's just proven to be a really good liar. She's a piece of subhuman garbage and she should rot in prison until she dies.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2023 2:10 AM

She was convicted, was granted temporary freedom in the late '70s, and was given THREE trials. She's been given more leeway than most. Newsom is also not going to grant her freedom because there are still people like R2, who feel VERY, VERY strongly about this solved case 50 years later..............

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2023 2:14 AM

Newsom was overridden by court

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2023 2:15 AM

If she didn't want to be in prison for so long maybe she should have died sooner.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2023 2:19 AM

She’s getting out

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2023 2:23 AM

California has become a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 7May 31, 2023 2:25 AM

This decision can be appealed to the California Supreme Court. There was one dissenter for the Appellate Court decision (2-1). I wonder if the parole board's recommendations were unanimous. I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2023 3:55 AM

Politicians shouldn't have anything to do with parole boards. Makes it near impossible for a "fair" hearing because there's no penalty for a politician who always votes NO on release. But if they vote YES and the person commits a crime, it is a campaign issue against them. And in Van Houten's case, she doesn't need to commit a crime to make it a campaign issue.

In the 90s a rapist was released from a parole board that included a lt. governor. So of course the rapist went out and raped again a few months before election day. Half the ads on TV were about that. You'll probably be shocked to hear that lt. governor didn't get elected governor that november.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2023 5:12 AM

OP = John Waters

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2023 5:20 AM

She has a debt to pay to society. She took part in taking innocent lives. She doesn’t deserve one herself.

by Anonymousreply 11May 31, 2023 5:21 AM

I hope the living relatives of Sharon Tate and the other victims get together and make whatever is left of Leslie's life a living hell.

She should just stay in prison until she dies. She has no business walking among us. She'll be miserable and it serves her right.

by Anonymousreply 12May 31, 2023 5:23 AM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 13May 31, 2023 5:26 AM

She was involved with killing the La Biancas, not Sharon Tate.

by Anonymousreply 14May 31, 2023 5:27 AM

R14, and yet Debra Tate still manages to make LVH's parole hearings all about her....

by Anonymousreply 15May 31, 2023 5:46 AM

Free Leslie. It's time.

by Anonymousreply 16May 31, 2023 6:04 AM

Whatever R14, there are plenty of Manson victims to go around.

Leslie Van Houghton stabbed Rosemary LaBianca in the back and ass 16 times. This, after she had already been attacked by Tex Watson and some other Manson girl, I forget which one. Maybe Krenwinkel. Then Leslie wrote on the walls in Rosemary's blood.

The fact remains, some mistakes are built to last and the Manson murders qualify. Van Houghton should never get out and if she does, I hope she dies a lingering and painful death during whatever time she has left on this earth.

Good for Debra Tate, she kept faith with her murdered sister.

Burn in hell Leslie Van Houghton, obviously she will but I just wanted to put that out there.

by Anonymousreply 17May 31, 2023 6:08 AM

Bump she could be released before 4th of July

by Anonymousreply 18May 31, 2023 7:20 AM

Fuck you, R17!

Aside from a few speeding tickets over the years, my record is clean as a whistle.

by Anonymousreply 19May 31, 2023 7:27 AM

Van Houten should never be released. She's become and exceptional liar and actress but she is still exactly who she was when she committed the murders. Some things are too horrible and can't be undone.

by Anonymousreply 20May 31, 2023 7:45 AM

Two female judges were moved by her tears and 𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑐𝑒𝑟𝑖𝑡𝑦. Chaney and Bendix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 31, 2023 9:36 AM

Was it really determined exactly what she did that night? I’m not defending her believe me, but I’ve read so many different things. Plus, during the 1st trial when all the followers were still rabidly devoted to Manson, she gave conflicting info, sometimes exaggerating and making shit up. I think. I’m not even clear on that.

I can understand why people don’t think she should be set free, but my issue is that I don’t think any of the remaining women are a threat to society. Yet, criminals who genuinely are still threats get released and commit more crimes all the time. Why should the infamy of the case determine the punishment? Why should the tax payers cover the cost of housing people who are no longer threats to society? On the other hand, I get it. It’s about punishment not just whether a person can rehabilitate herself.

by Anonymousreply 22May 31, 2023 10:22 AM

You can thank Rose Bird for keeping the Manson murderers alive and avoiding their proper punishment.

Bird was the first and remains the only Chief Justice to be removed from that office by a majority of the state's voters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 31, 2023 10:48 AM

R22, the problem is the notoriety of the case. Charlie Manson never killed anyone and he died in prison. Maybe he killed some small-time guy named Shorty out in the desert but maybe not. Manson was a liar and he was certainly never tried or convicted of Shorty's murder. Certain cases take on lives of their own. They become larger than the people involved.

As for Leslie Van Houghton, yes it's fairly clear what part she had in the murders. I've read several different accounts of her actions and they are all fairly similar. Leslie and Patricia Krenwinkle were supposed to kill Rosemary LaBianca or finish killing her after Tex had already done some damage. Mrs LaBianca was still alive. Krenwinkle tried to kill her, stabbed her several times and I think strangled her as well (or that may have been Tex with the strangling) anyway, then it was Leslie's turn to finish her off she went for the back and buttocks and stabbed Mrs LaBianca 16 times. Then she wrote the now-infamous Manson "slogans" on the walls in Mr and Mrs LaBianca's blood and then they went on their way.

There was a very good reason they gave Van Houghton the death penalty. It was (and still is) incredibly rare for someone that young and a female and white to be sentenced to death in America. Her sentence should have been life without the possibility of parole.

by Anonymousreply 24May 31, 2023 1:07 PM

We voted for Trump!

by Anonymousreply 25May 31, 2023 1:13 PM

[quote] She was involved with killing the La Biancas, not Sharon Tate.

And?

by Anonymousreply 26May 31, 2023 2:18 PM

[quote] Charlie Manson never killed anyone

That’s still in question.

by Anonymousreply 27May 31, 2023 2:19 PM

[quote] Charlie Manson never killed anyone

Using that logic, neither did Hitler or Osama bin Laden.

by Anonymousreply 28May 31, 2023 2:20 PM

[quote]As for Leslie Van Houghton, yes it's fairly clear what part she had in the murders.

I said FUCK YOU!

I'll sue for slander!

by Anonymousreply 29May 31, 2023 2:53 PM

R17 I don’t disagree with you I was just pointing out a fact.

by Anonymousreply 30June 1, 2023 12:40 PM

R26 “And” the person got it wrong so I corrected it.

by Anonymousreply 31June 1, 2023 12:41 PM

Who da fuck is Leslie Van Houghton???

by Anonymousreply 32June 1, 2023 5:20 PM

Doesn't matter whether she's a threat or not.

No matter how directly or tangentally, she participated in one of the most brutal crimes at the time. Sure, we're inured to it now after all the crap we've seen. But, what Manson et al. did at the time they did it was so far outside of society's boundaries that it reflect a much more significant transgression than many more seemingly brutual crimes occurring today.

Prison is about three things - the order of importance of which varies: 1) punishment; 2) deterrance; 3) rehabilitation.

Doesn't matter whether she's a model prisoner. Frankly, the fact that anyone would hold her up as a role model is disturbing. Anyone capable of committing crimes like hers is broken person who doesn't deserve sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 33June 1, 2023 5:33 PM

Leslie was resentenced and given second degree murder sentence . This gives 25 to life . She has been a model prisoner and a mentor to other inmates. When she was granted parole in 2017, the warden of the prison and several correctional officers hugged Leslie !

by Anonymousreply 34June 1, 2023 11:53 PM

I do think what happened to the Labiancas was horrible and brutal .

by Anonymousreply 35June 1, 2023 11:54 PM

R23 wow on the teeth. You would never see a professional now days with messed up teeth like that.

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2023 2:09 AM

Who among us hasn’t made a few mistake in our teens?

JK.

Actually wonder if she wants to be patrolled. Imagine would be hard for her after the regimented life she’s lived.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2023 2:37 AM

[quote]Actually wonder if she wants to be patrolled. Imagine would be hard for her after the regimented life she’s lived.

If she were released, she would be richer than any of us before she died. The fascination with Manson continues to be strong. The laws preventing criminals from profiting from their crimes are easily circumvented.

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2023 2:51 AM

Leslie has a lot of support on the outside including possible housing in Manhattan Beach

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2023 6:46 AM

UK here. Her situation reminds me of Myra Hindley, who was so notorious and reviled that no politician would have dared to support her release. She kept on applying for parole until she died. Van Houten would probably attract revenge attacks because she has maintained a high profile all these years. She is safer living her days out in prison.

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2023 7:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!