Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gays exiting Florida

Guess DeSantis is getting what he wants. Look for more Republican states to enact more tough laws against gays in an effort to rid their state of the " degenerates."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 14, 2023 7:15 PM

Watch all the right wing narcissistic psychopaths take their place.

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2023 3:57 PM

And in this day and age, where exactly WILL remain friendly for gays?

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2023 4:02 PM

Nowhere, as long as the craven Democrats are too intimidated to vigorously take on the fascists.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2023 4:11 PM

What they won't say is that the rednecks are leaving too, or not even moving there anymore. It's gotten WAY expensive. Housing insurance especially has skyrocketed.

What a piece of shit state.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2023 4:14 PM

Why wait for all of them to leave? Simply round them up and "quarantine" them in camps deep in the Everglades.

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2023 4:15 PM

Liberals tend to threaten to leave when someone in power whom they oppose begins doing unpopular things

Unfortunately, that’s all they do. Threaten. They never do it, and it’s embarrassing to is.

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2023 4:18 PM

I don't deny this could be happening, but it annoys me that I'm not seeing in this article anything about how many gay people have left Florida. In fact, I don't think they mention a single gay person who has left the state. Sloppy.

[quote] The toll on the state's LGBTQ community is still severe, they acknowledged — and it's causing people to rethink living in Florida at all.

[quote] Oliviani described a “mass migration” out of the state.

[quote] The new legislation directly limiting LGBTQ rights, they added, is “too much.”

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2023 4:19 PM

R4 Sure, Jan.

The fact remains that Florida is a growing population.

Also, New York hates Florida because it has much better weather, and California hates Florida because it has more beautiful beaches/coastline.

At the end of the day, LGBTQ+ are a tiny minority, in the scheme of things. I doubt the conservative gays are leaving.

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2023 4:23 PM

Florida is where people go when they run out of options. There is no place to migrate to from FL.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2023 4:23 PM

My friend moved to Fort Lauderdale to take care of his aging mom at the turn of the century and built himself a lovely life in Florida, he just put his home on the market and is moving back to Minneapolis and will just take a tropical trip every winter. Not to fucking Florida tho. The writing is on the wall

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2023 4:24 PM

Republicans use LGBTQ-panic for votes, every election.

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2023 4:29 PM

Okay, this could be happening, but the percentage of gays in relation to the entire population of FL is small and the percentage of gays leaving is a small percentage of the gay population. This will not make the news unless the gay men and women who OWN BUSINESSES that employ 10, 20, 30 or more locals close their business, leave Florida and re-open it in another state.

Gays departing Florida have to hit others in the wallets. Hit the state in the loss of locally-owned and managed business (and its tax revenue).

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2023 4:32 PM

"They never do it, and it’s embarrassing to is."

You want to talk embarrassing? Let's talk about R6's stupidity.

Now that's embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2023 4:33 PM

[quote] Housing insurance especially has skyrocketed.

Not only housing insurance, but car insurance too. I got a bill from Progressive for $100 more for the next six months. I contacted them and mentioned I had no accidents and I didn't move anywhere and have low car miles. They said it is not because of anything I have done, but because I live in Florida and everything is increasing prices in Florida. Jeez!

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2023 4:36 PM

[quote] California hates Florida

California never even thinks about Florida unless it's related to the news and whatever sordid, horrible thing is happening there today.

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2023 4:37 PM

"Also, New York hates Florida because it has much better weather, and California hates Florida because it has more beautiful beaches/coastline."

I didn't know states are sentient. Did you interview New York and California and this is what they told you?

by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2023 4:39 PM

Florida is a cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2023 4:40 PM

For r13

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2023 4:40 PM

Add the cost of wind insurance and flood insurance to the cost of homeowner's insurance. And if you want to be really thorough, add "excess flood insurance" to the mix because standard flood insurance only covers the first 6 inches, for example, of the drywall.

It was getting insane. One more of the many reasons we left.

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2023 4:43 PM

Sorry, WHICH coastline is better? California or Florida? I didn’t understand that reply.

by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2023 4:45 PM

The one with mosquitoes, invasive seaweed, alligators and crocs, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2023 4:56 PM

R21, don't forget the humidity.

by Anonymousreply 22May 30, 2023 4:58 PM

I can to Florida 5 years ago, because as said above, I ran out of options. It was a pleasant cheap place to live. It's no longer pleasant or cheap. And it sooo fucking crowded everywhere. I have since found i have options. Selling my condo for twice what I paid and Thursday moving my ass up to Connecticut.

by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2023 5:06 PM

R23

Smart move. We moved our asses to Massachusetts from Florida as soon as we could. (We were there because of a job.)

You'll be much happier in the Northeast, for many reasons.

We were lucky; we had the means to get out. Many don't, and are stuck there.

by Anonymousreply 24May 30, 2023 5:29 PM

People from New England are unable to adapt to life outside New England? I’m ever so shocked.

I was on the Provincetown ferry and four chowdahheads were talking about how strange Chicago was because they didn’t have a Dunkin on every corner.

by Anonymousreply 25May 30, 2023 5:35 PM

Dunkin Donuts has both the worst coffee and the worst doughnuts.

But anyway. California has the much nicer coastline. “And it’s not even close,” as they say. Yes, FL’s beaches are much nicer and warmer, but the actual coastline? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2023 5:42 PM

Learn the lessons of history with the rise of authoritarianism and oppression. They’ve said what they want to ultimately do out loud, so believe them. It’s not hyperbole because they are passing laws. At least get to a blue state, but with SCOTUS, even those might not be safe.

We currently live outside the US, and the plan was to always ‘go home’ to retire near family. Each of our home states are red and just as bad as Florida, so that plan is dead. You’re just not safe even in a blue dot in a red state. ‘You can never go home again’ is a reality for us.

by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2023 5:46 PM

I’m love to go to visit my cousin who lives near Kennedy Space Center. It’s my “happy place”. I haven’t been there in about ten years, but I’d have no problem going there and staying a week, a month, a year… No fear whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2023 5:49 PM

“An exodus of LGBTQ people has started in Florida as they flee the state over Gov. Ron DeSantis' hard-right persecution policies, Pride organizer Danielle Oliviani told the Daily Beast.” = Both of her friends left.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2023 5:52 PM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2023 5:55 PM

Oh look, mom. A MAGAt! R29

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2023 5:56 PM

[quote] My friend moved to Fort Lauderdale to take care of his aging mom at the turn of the century and built himself a lovely life in Florida, he just put his home on the market and is moving back to Minneapolis

You forgot the, “and then she died” part, EST.

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2023 5:57 PM

Florida’s economy is booming and California’s is in the shitter. Next.

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2023 5:58 PM

I’m traveling to Florida in June and am quite confident that I will not be locked up in one of the imaginary gulags or concentration camps fantasized by the nuts who think Florida has become “dangerous”.

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2023 5:58 PM

But who's going to style hair and design homes?! Good Lord, it'll be a fashion disaster!

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2023 6:02 PM

"Florida’s economy is booming and California’s is in the shitter. Next."

Even with a slowdown, California is the 4th biggest economy in the world. Next.

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2023 6:03 PM

It already is, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2023 6:03 PM

[quote] My friend moved to Fort Lauderdale to take care of his aging mom at the turn of the century and built himself a lovely life in Florida, he just put his home on the market and is moving back to Minneapolis and will just take a tropical trip every winter.

My grandmother retired to Florida but then moved back up north twenty years ago to live out the remainder of her life. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2023 6:04 PM

Oh good, more echo chambers being created, just what this country needed.

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2023 6:24 PM

I ran screaming from Florida years ago. Between the hurricanes, bad politics and the stupid rednecks I couldn't stand another minute. Sold everything and moved back north. Smartest thing I ever did

by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2023 6:28 PM

I receive a daily email from historian Heather Cox Richardson. Today's email provided text from a 1943 US Army pamphlet about fascism. What it is, which is what we were fighting against. I'll provide a link, here's an excerpt. As others above have stated, DeSantis, Trump, Elmer Rhodes and his Oath Keepers, the Proud Boys, the frightened, and flaccid White Guys in Charlottesville have told you what they stand for and who they will stand for - you're on their list.

Fascism, the U.S. government document explained, “is government by the few and for the few. The objective is seizure and control of the economic, political, social, and cultural life of the state.” “The people run democratic governments, but fascist governments run the people.”

“The basic principles of democracy stand in the way of their desires; hence—democracy must go! Anyone who is not a member of their inner gang has to do what he’s told. They permit no civil liberties, no equality before the law.” “Fascism treats women as mere breeders. ‘Children, kitchen, and the church,’ was the Nazi slogan for women,” the pamphlet said.

Fascists “make their own rules and change them when they choose…. They maintain themselves in power by use of force combined with propaganda based on primitive ideas of ‘blood’ and ‘race,’ by skillful manipulation of fear and hate, and by false promise of security. The propaganda glorifies war and insists it is smart and ‘realistic’ to be pitiless and violent.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2023 6:37 PM

The other thing that keeps me on edge here is the gun nuts. I think the next law that Rhonda will pass will make it mandatory that in order to vote you must show proof of ownership of an AR 15. I seriously worry with all the psychos down here it's getting easier and easier for some dick wad to pull out a gun and settle an argument and then claim stand your ground.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2023 6:40 PM

[quote] Even with a slowdown, California is the 4th biggest economy in the world.

And in one year it has a deficit. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2023 6:42 PM

I have a relative who lives down in shithole Flah-ori- duh. She's lived there for over fifty years, both her parents are buried there, and she inherited their home and a good chunk of land with fruit trees. She's near 80 years old and a hard-core rethuglican, but I think even she is shocked about Dump and Satantits. She says she has never seen the state so crowded and the people both so angry and stupid. It's actually hard to get around in stores because of the crowds and if two people are in each other's way, a fight breaks out. She's not ready to leave, but when her husband dies,she's selling the house and land and moving to an apartment in a senior citizen community so she rarely needs to leave the house.

Personally, I think this is nature's way of getting rid of a certain type of people. Lead them all into one place while the gays leave, then Florida finally breaks off, and into the sea with all of them... and nothing of value will be lost. Except maybe some Disney animatronics. I just hope Dump and Satantits are down there when it happens.

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2023 7:08 PM

Don't worry there's hope for Florida's future 😏

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2023 7:14 PM

This is total bullshit - I live just north of Wilton Manors (Pompano Beach) and there’s most definitely NOT an exodus of gays! As a matter of fact I would say there’s an increase of gays moving here. In the spring the snowbird gays move north for the summer but return every winter. Gays aren’t facing any calamitous hardships because of DeSantis- everything is status quo. It’s people who don’t even live here that are complaining the most.

Here’s a novel idea - if you don’t like Florida don’t move here. Ya bunch of pussy whiners.

by Anonymousreply 46May 30, 2023 7:15 PM

[quote]California hates Florida because it has more beautiful beaches/coastline

LOL

by Anonymousreply 47May 30, 2023 7:18 PM

And now we can sit back and watch these states go to shit, and property values go way down. Everyone knows when the gays come to a neighborhood everything starts getting beautified and the property values go up

by Anonymousreply 48May 30, 2023 7:19 PM

Imagine outpricing your target demographic: people running away from their problems, in the case in this political climate, reality.

by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2023 7:24 PM

Properties lost to sinkholes, expanding marshes, poor construction, and the rising sea level will keep property values artificially inflated through scarcity.

by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2023 7:24 PM

Where will the new Florida be? Imagine a state built upon people who repeatedly have to run away from reality.

by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2023 7:28 PM

[quote] Florida’s economy is booming and California’s is in the shitter. Next.

Booming? That might be an exaggeration.

by Anonymousreply 52May 30, 2023 7:43 PM

The lack of shitters is California’s problem.

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2023 7:46 PM

[quote] Here’s a novel idea - if you don’t like Florida don’t move here. Ya bunch of pussy whiners.

Way ahead of you...

by Anonymousreply 54May 30, 2023 7:47 PM

The cost of homeowner's insurance is heavily underwritten by the Federal Government.

If it weren't, insurance would be so expensive as to be prohibitive.

So if the Repubs want to cut debt....

by Anonymousreply 55May 30, 2023 7:48 PM

The birthplace of so many exceptional whores

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 30, 2023 8:03 PM

Florida building, farm work and trucking are all at a standstill because Ron made anyone darker than ecru scared to leave the house and go to work. Good luck rebuilding after the next giant hurricane. In 2 months

by Anonymousreply 57May 30, 2023 8:21 PM

Why do they hate us? Is it because we perform excellent oral and anal sex that Hets caint do? Is it because we perform analingus? Is it because we lick toes and armpits? Why all the hate over that? PAY US and we'll be glad to teach you, Mr. DeSatanist

by Anonymousreply 58May 30, 2023 8:25 PM

Where’s the data OP? It’s a quote from a glorified volunteer.

by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2023 8:27 PM

It's a good state to be your last state in the US before escaping entirely. Because there's no state income tax and expats are considered resident in the last state they lived in. Plus voting rights there, but a lot of good that does.

by Anonymousreply 60May 30, 2023 8:28 PM

I just took an insurance CE course and the instructor said that an increase in US natural disasters is increasing insurance rates for everyone, not just Floridians. The number of billion dollar “events” doubled from 2009 to 2019.

by Anonymousreply 61May 30, 2023 8:39 PM

"My grandmother retired to Florida but then moved back up north twenty years ago to live out the remainder of her life. It happens."

There was a story in the Philadelphia Inquirer several years ago attesting to this very fact: many seniors from PA and NJ were moving to Florida to retire, only to return to the area when they became seriously ill. Far better medical and senior care facilities up north, plus proximity to loved ones.

by Anonymousreply 62May 30, 2023 8:46 PM

[quote] Florida’s economy is booming

Artificially, because a bunch of Republicans, overseas billionaires, and remote working tech bros (the Venn diagram for those groups is of course mostly a circle) are buying up all the property and infusing the economy with an influx of discretionary income.

Those populations are finite, and the GOP's current attacks on both public schools and its state universities are going to make many people think twice before moving here and condemning their children to totally non-competitive educations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 30, 2023 9:03 PM

Florida is where people go to die

by Anonymousreply 64May 30, 2023 9:06 PM

Florida is where New Yorkers go to die.

by Anonymousreply 65May 30, 2023 9:10 PM

[quote] The other thing that keeps me on edge here is the gun nuts.

I was concerned about that. I went out to dinner with two MAGA fans back in 2020. The gal got too much to drink and announced to everyone she had a gun in her purse. She spewed MAGA tripe and I told her I was gonna leave the restaurant and she would must to pay the bill if she didn't stop. She toned down and my other MAGA friend was silent. For two years, nobody talked to her and she was isolated. She learned to tone down her MAGA pride and not talk about it at all. She has since became presentable in public, once agin. We have learned not to talk about this things in public, no matter what shenanigans Rhonda keeps presenting. Unless things become uncontrollably worse, most people can control their MAGA/Religious/Political beliefs, else they are shunned in public.

by Anonymousreply 66May 30, 2023 10:29 PM

R66 Until your drunk MAGA friend changes her mind and shoots you!

by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2023 10:38 PM

[quote] This is total bullshit - I live just north of Wilton Manors (Pompano Beach) and there’s most definitely NOT an exodus of gays!

R46 but "rawstory" says it. It must be true! Almost as reliable as BuzzFeed or Ladbible!

by Anonymousreply 68May 30, 2023 11:00 PM

Residents of Wilton Manors would need walkers to flee, so they stay put.

by Anonymousreply 69May 31, 2023 12:34 AM

[quote][R46] but "rawstory" says it. It must be true! Almost as reliable as BuzzFeed or Ladbible!

How about this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 31, 2023 12:35 AM

Vermont, r2.

by Anonymousreply 71May 31, 2023 12:36 AM

Bigots happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 31, 2023 12:37 AM

Those who haven't left.... yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 31, 2023 12:38 AM

More, more,more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 31, 2023 12:40 AM

There’s that neo-cliché again:

[quote]”if they’re targeting trans people now, they’ll eventually come for the rest of us.”

by Anonymousreply 75May 31, 2023 12:44 AM

Do any of the above articles have hard numbers on how many gay people are actually leaving Florida?

by Anonymousreply 76May 31, 2023 12:46 AM

As long as there are hot, masc, sexually fluid Caribbean and South American men for old queens pay for a fuck, I don't see a mass exodus happening soon

by Anonymousreply 77May 31, 2023 12:52 AM

Florida is still a very desirable place to live seasonally or year round . Miami Heat 🏀 is the finals against Boston Celtics

by Anonymousreply 78May 31, 2023 12:58 AM

That ugly cunt who is the focus of the article at R72 ,looks like her skin is pulled so tight, if she smiles too much, her skull and eyeballs will pop out.

by Anonymousreply 79May 31, 2023 1:35 AM

[quote]Do any of the above articles have hard numbers on how many gay people are actually leaving Florida?

[quote]This comes as several transgender people are reportedly taking to GoFundMe to solicit donations to move out of the state.

The answer is "several".

Reportedly.

by Anonymousreply 80May 31, 2023 1:42 AM

[quote] As long as there are hot, masc, sexually fluid Caribbean and South American men for old queens pay for a fuck,

Meh. Old queens with real money can vacation in actual Latin America and pursue men who aren't Republican-y. Florida sounds like the bargain bin version of that arrangement.

by Anonymousreply 81May 31, 2023 1:44 AM

I never really understood the appeal of Florida. As someone who grew up in the Northeast, I can attest that everyone on the East Coast acts like Florida is heaven. But let’s be honest, it’s humid and disgusting, and it’s full of rednecks and old people. Plus the hurricanes. What exactly is the appeal?

by Anonymousreply 82May 31, 2023 1:45 AM

I picture some gay couples, to maximize the over-the-top drama of their flight, do cosplay as the Von Trapps and purposely leave at night.

by Anonymousreply 83May 31, 2023 1:46 AM

Rednecks leave people alone, generally. And so do old people.

Yes, it is a trashy state. But I wouldn’t go there expecting high culture. I go because I love the place where I stay when I’m there, I love the beach, I love the food, I love the vibe, which is very much “You don’t have to do ANYTHING while you’re here.”

by Anonymousreply 84May 31, 2023 1:54 AM

@r72, I used to tangle with that bitch on Twitter all the time. She's a hateful bitch with a legion of flying monkeys who got me banned 😠

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 31, 2023 4:45 AM

r81 exactly. The "bargain bin" is still pretty large hunty

by Anonymousreply 86May 31, 2023 4:59 AM

R86, is "hunty" still a word that is considered cool in 2023 Florida?

Awww, that's so cute.

by Anonymousreply 87May 31, 2023 5:03 AM

Why would anyone who is gay stay, unless they are poor and can’t afford to move. The anti gay movement is rapidly accelerating.

by Anonymousreply 88May 31, 2023 5:09 AM

Jesus, R84, there are loads of beaches in the world with better food and the same laid-back attitude.

What kind of gay would ever go to Florida again? Are you some kind of Log Cabinet?

by Anonymousreply 89May 31, 2023 5:13 AM

What took you all so long? I'm amazed anyone gay stayed in Florida stayed as long as they have, Come to Hawaii. We love gay people here. You won't be sorry (well... unless you're poor!).

by Anonymousreply 90May 31, 2023 5:18 AM

r88 most people in Florida make a fraction of what they would elsewhere in the US; salaries and wages are low in the Florida despite the enormous cost of living. Thats why people get stuck in Florida. If you own property you could sell, but the housing market is shitty for buyers right now.

And like I said before, FL has a diverse pool of gay guys to date. Its not a place where 100 bottoms are fighting each other for 1 top, like NYC and LA. That alone will keep gays in FL despite all the political bullshit. Even this ugly hoe scored hot dick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 31, 2023 5:32 AM

There's no exodus, this is pure fantasy wanking

by Anonymousreply 92May 31, 2023 5:36 AM

R92 Well Hell, I can't imagine WHY. I fucking hate Florida. It's crawling with old fuckers that complain about any and everything even the remotest iota progressive. I still shudder to recall the 2 old bastards I ran into that were praising Trump and the stupidity of Trumptards out loud. How ignorant are these Floridians? How can you stand to live around these fucktards?

by Anonymousreply 93May 31, 2023 5:51 AM

R89, exactly!

But get a load of the sad Florida queen extolling its virtues of Latin culture? But why would anybody go to Florida for that when they can go to Cancun, Costa Rica, Cartagena, etc. for that? That's like going to Vegas to experience "Paris."

by Anonymousreply 94May 31, 2023 5:58 AM

Seems like the neocons are trying to distract and set up warfare between liberals and Church members/Nazis, with guns of course. Meanwhile, people are being laid off and the planet is melting. Look over there!

by Anonymousreply 95May 31, 2023 6:03 AM

[quote] I don't think they mention a single gay person who has left the state. Sloppy.

Not sloppy at all. The story got repeated. We don't need no stinking proof

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 31, 2023 6:07 AM

[quote]Well Hell, I can't imagine WHY. I fucking hate Florida. It's crawling with old fuckers that complain about any and everything even the remotest iota progressive. I still shudder to recall the 2 old bastards I ran into that were praising Trump and the stupidity of Trumptards out loud. How ignorant are these Floridians? How can you stand to live around these fucktards?

Suppose the choice were narrowed to living around them or living next to you. How should one decide which is the lesser of the two evils?

by Anonymousreply 97May 31, 2023 6:15 AM

Imagine living in a state where the scapegoats have been chased out and only people intolerant of others remain. Be careful what you wish for, Florida.

by Anonymousreply 98May 31, 2023 6:26 AM

One lesbian moves away and suddenly it's an exodus.

by Anonymousreply 99May 31, 2023 6:46 AM

The real issue is trans and its pertaining to children. Gays were doing just fine until this whole transitioning children started.

I really don't think gays are exiting Florida on any significant level. In fact, i have friends who have moved to Miami and Tampa. I have others who want to move there.

As for the insurance issue between CA and FL, both states are fucked. State Farm just pulled out of underwriting any new home policies in CA. Other companies have really tightened their underwriting in CA. They're also considering stopping new business in CA.

by Anonymousreply 100May 31, 2023 7:19 AM

"Nobody goes to Florida anymore. It's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

by Anonymousreply 101May 31, 2023 7:24 AM

R100 STFU Frau Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 102May 31, 2023 7:27 AM

R102, you shut up you flaming queen

by Anonymousreply 103May 31, 2023 7:42 AM

[quote]Gays were doing just fine until this whole transitioning children started.

You must live in a bubble, R100. Dozens of powerful right wing organizations, most of them founded in the 90s during the Clinton era, have consistently fought against gay rights for decades and they are the ones fear-mongering the “transing of kids” (which is still comparatively rare to the number of LGB-identified kids) in order to dial back the rights of ALL sexual minorities. They hate all of us, but their larger goal is to strip women of their civil rights because Christian fundamentalists fear that same-sex relationships along with any other kind blending, swapping, or elimination of gender roles will disrupt their ideal hierarchy in which women stay at the bottom.

And how about the attacks on teaching the history of race relations in public school currently being executed by the same conservative groups? Are trans kids to blame for that too? Maybe you should start blaming the perpetrators, not the victims.

by Anonymousreply 104May 31, 2023 7:58 AM

[quote] they are the ones fear-mongering the “transing of kids” (which is still comparatively rare to the number of LGB-identified kids) in order to dial back the rights of ALL sexual minorities. They hate all of us, but their larger goal is to strip women of their civil rights

Is that why the F in TERF is for Feminist? Your brilliant theory has determined that feminists actually want to strip women of their civil rights.

Obviously, you’re a moron.

by Anonymousreply 105May 31, 2023 7:26 PM

R105, Nowhere in my post do I mention “TERFs.” You need to work on your reading comprehension. Or are you equating these powerful right wing organizations to feminists? Well, they are not. They want to strip women of equal protection and reproductive rights. Here’s a sampling of them:

Alliance Defending Freedom (AZ, 1994)

Americans for Truth About Homosexuality (IL, 1996)

Center for Family and Human Rights (NY 1997)

Family Research Council (DC, 1983)

Family Watch International (AZ, 1999)

Focus On the Family (CA, 1977)

Heritage Foundation (DC, 1973)

Mass Resistance (MA, 1995)

Pacific Justice Institute (CA, 1997)

SaveCalifornia.com (CA, 1999)

World Congress of Families (IL, 1997)

by Anonymousreply 106May 31, 2023 7:37 PM

I know a couple of dykes who live in Florida and they are forever on Facebook bitching about the politics of their state. I feel like I want to say to them “you can always, you know, move somewhere better.”

by Anonymousreply 107May 31, 2023 7:52 PM

[quote] Nowhere in my post do I mention “TERFs.”

Exactly. That’s why you need to be reminded that your dumb theory, which you’ve posted before, doesn’t account for people who are not “Christian fundamentalists” and people who do not want to “strip women of their civil rights”.

by Anonymousreply 108May 31, 2023 9:14 PM

R108 What “dumb theory” that I posted before are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 109May 31, 2023 10:01 PM

[quote] I feel like I want to say to them “you can always, you know, move somewhere better.”

Do we know the same dumb Florida lesbians on Facebook? This one friend of mine moved there to be with her partner and won't stop talking about how trapped she is. She rents and works from home in IT. She could move tomorrow if she wanted. She doesn't even have family there except her girlfriend, who also doesn't have family there and works some random retail job. She's admitted once or twice that she simply finds the idea of moving to another state a second time in her 40s to be overwhelming and intimidating. But if it's really that dire there...

by Anonymousreply 110June 2, 2023 6:26 AM

R8, as a native Californian I can assure you we don't hate Florida for anything. How can we hate something we don't care about?

Thanks for making me chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 111June 2, 2023 9:05 AM

R111 Florida feels the same way about California - we have absolutely no reason to go there or think about it. Sounds like a lint trap for homeless people anyway.

by Anonymousreply 112June 2, 2023 2:40 PM

I always look to Pride event organizers as my first source for demographic stats and trends.

by Anonymousreply 113June 2, 2023 5:10 PM

Florida and California are NOTHING alike. Stop comparing them

by Anonymousreply 114June 2, 2023 5:13 PM

R112 fair enough. My post insinuated nothing about Florida or Floridians in general.

My post was in reference to R8, who made a claim so ridiculous that many of on here had to laughingly refute it.

by Anonymousreply 115June 2, 2023 5:19 PM

California has hot Mexican men and delicious Mexican food. Florida has Cuban men and Cuban food. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 116June 2, 2023 5:41 PM

Yeah, one has money and the other doesn’t, r14. One has people routinely shitting on the streets and living in tents by the truckload and the other one doesn’t. One is looking to pay reparations in a state that never had slaves while the state is broke and the other one isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 117June 2, 2023 6:00 PM

R117, oh that Florida charm just oozing from the screen. Is it the humidity that turns your brains to mush over there?

by Anonymousreply 118June 2, 2023 6:04 PM

[quote] ”if they’re targeting trans people now, they’ll eventually come for the rest of us.”

Don't worry about trans anymore, they ARE coming for gays. Anti-trans rhetoric is a pretext for a well-funded war on non-heterosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 119June 2, 2023 6:13 PM

Uh oh guys. We just got OWNED by R117.

Guess Florida does, in fact, kick California's ass.

Drats! Darn! Shoot!

by Anonymousreply 120June 2, 2023 6:15 PM

Well, clearly, SOMEONE in Florida cares about California.

by Anonymousreply 121June 2, 2023 6:18 PM

[quote]We just got OWNED by [R117].

Upon review, the determination is that yes, you did get owned, but you have the opportunity to counter.

by Anonymousreply 122June 2, 2023 6:33 PM

We had a good co-worker in Florida quit and move to Colorado with no job, because she's a lesbian and didn't want to have to deal with this with her kids.

by Anonymousreply 123June 2, 2023 6:40 PM

R119 I really hope you realize that being forcibly associated with gender insanity and people who want to inject kids with hormones really isn’t helping gays. We would be better off without this, and people wouldn’t hate us nearly as much if it weren’t for this.

by Anonymousreply 124June 2, 2023 7:10 PM

[quote]Also, New York hates Florida because it has much better weather, and California hates Florida because it has more beautiful beaches/coastline.

Lol ok. Are you on Rhonda's payroll or something? Who talks like this? "New York hates Florida," "California hates Florida," they're states, not people. They don't "hate" and they don't hold opinions about the weather or the quality of beaches. Christ you sound like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 125June 2, 2023 7:21 PM

Drop the T troll is working overtime in this thread. He eats Rhonda's shit straight from Rhonda's asshole and won't tolerate his beloved Fuhrer's Fatherland being maligned.

by Anonymousreply 126June 2, 2023 7:24 PM

[quote]R119 I really hope you realize that being forcibly associated with gender insanity and people who want to inject kids with hormones really isn’t helping gays. We would be better off without this, and people wouldn’t hate us nearly as much if it weren’t for this.

Right, r124, they'd still hate us, but just not "nearly as much". Did you shorten your name so that it didn't sound so Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 127June 2, 2023 7:34 PM

It’s ironic because DeSantis must be the gayest governor in America. His voice flames. So do his exaggerated facial expressions. Those drag queen boots! He even married his beard in WDW, for god’s sake. I know some of you will say Rhonda can’t be both gay AND a fascist because of his policies like the “don’t say gay” law, but he has a lot in common with Hitler’s gay sidekick Ernst Röhm. The only difference is that, unlike Röhm, Rhonda has the foresight to stay securely in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 128June 2, 2023 7:40 PM

Lol R127. You really think that mastectomy scars and chicks with dicks are helping gays to appear like regular people? The world isn’t perfect, and at the end of the day I’d rather be tolerated than have people actively fighting against my rights. I’m not trans, never have been, and their fight isn’t mine.

by Anonymousreply 129June 2, 2023 8:06 PM

Big discounts in Wilton Manors, just have to mop up the secretions

by Anonymousreply 130June 2, 2023 8:11 PM

R129 If the people you seek acceptance from are too stupid to tell the difference between groups and individuals, and they make blanket judgements about you based on the actions of a few, they never tolerated you in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 131June 2, 2023 8:14 PM

^^ And they never will.

by Anonymousreply 132June 2, 2023 8:14 PM

Nobody wants Florida gays moving into their state. You talk about trashy? They are gross.

by Anonymousreply 133June 2, 2023 8:42 PM

[quote] I really hope you realize that being forcibly associated with gender insanity and people who want to inject kids with hormones really isn’t helping gays.

When will those of you dumbfucks who can't stop compulsively sucking respectability politics cock realize that it doesn't matter whether WE associate our struggles for equal rights with those of trans people, because the Christofascists on the move right now will NEVER differentiate between us? Their current rhetoric is explicitly saying that the reason the trans are taking over now is because they were too quick to give in on gay rights 30 years ago. These are the same people who laughed as tens of thousands of us dropped dead from AIDS a decade before that. We were the start of the slippery slope for them.

You will never be "one of the good ones" to people like DeSantis. You're going to be shouting Drop The T all the way to the gulags.

by Anonymousreply 134June 2, 2023 9:02 PM

[quote]I’d rather be tolerated than have people actively fighting against my rights.

LOL, r129, you think they're going to tolerate *this*, r129?

[quote]𝗜 𝗴𝗼𝘁 𝗺𝘆𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳 𝗮 𝗿𝗶𝗺𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗶𝗿, 𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆

[quote]I’ve been wanting one for years and I finally got one, and what an investment! I have a special buddy who comes over every couple of weeks and we take turns riding the chair and getting under it. What a stress reliever it is, and I can really get him opened up and get him into ecstasy.

[quote]If you are a rimmer I highly recommend one.

You're the reason the word naive was invented...or you're just trolling.

by Anonymousreply 135June 2, 2023 9:03 PM

70 years ago, Florida may have had some charms.

But now, it's an overdeveloped wasteland of flat land (makes it look like Kansas or Oklahoma with palm trees) brimming with suburban sprawl of the worst kind, from the Gulf to the Atlantic, and north to south. There may be some attractive and quaint coastal areas like Key West and Sanibel/Captiva, but the vast majority of Floridians live inland in that miserable suburban sprawl. Rural areas are incredibly flat and those areas not filled with lemon and orange groves are nothing but scrub pine. Behind the wretched farm landscapes lies hidden some of the most wretched poverty stricken places like Belle Glade and Bartow.

If you've never experienced Red Tide, it is completely putrid and disgusting. I was in Sarasota about 4 years ago during Red Tide, and I knew you couldn't go in the water, but even sitting on the beach caused me to start gagging and getting a tremendous headache. As I understand it, there's another huge wave of the Red Tide headed to Florida as I type. And somehow drag queens and trannies are the biggest existential threat to Florida.

And don't get me started on Miami. Chock full of right wing, fascist Cubans whose descendants were kicked out by Castro for being rum runners, casino operators, drug dealers pimps and hookers. See: Rubio, Marco.

Anybody who says Florida has more natural beauty than California is (1) blind and (2) probably the type of asshole who would vote for consummate assholes like Trump or DeSantis.

by Anonymousreply 136June 2, 2023 9:28 PM

R135 we have a quoter here. This is a forum for gay men. We all talk about sexual things here that we wouldn’t talk about in public. Just like straight people wouldn’t talk about their sex lives in public. So what? If we will all follow your logic, then that means that everyone who isn’t liked by mainstream society should automatically be rolled up into the gay community. So I guess we should add an “A” for ax murderers? And this isn’t high school. Not everyone who expressed a different opinion than you is a “troll.”

by Anonymousreply 137June 2, 2023 9:36 PM

LGBTQI'AX

Time for another dumb flag

by Anonymousreply 138June 2, 2023 9:40 PM

[quote]Time for another dumb flag

Lol, r138. Who gives a shit about flags? If someone needs a flag, I could care less, let them have it. What's it to you?

by Anonymousreply 139June 2, 2023 9:56 PM

^couldn't care less

by Anonymousreply 140June 2, 2023 9:58 PM

If I didn't care...

by Anonymousreply 141June 2, 2023 10:00 PM

The trans and drag communities have been a part of the community since I went into my first gay bar, r137. 50 years later I'm not going to give your uninformed "opinion" any credence. You're a fool and you seem to be very proud of it.

by Anonymousreply 142June 2, 2023 10:03 PM

R137 I think the other poster made a good point about how you, being a sexually adventurous gay man, could never be accepted or tolerated by fundie Christians who call us groomers and vandalize pride displays supposedly because of trans children. If trans people and drag queens didn’t exist, they’d go after what they consider the next most extreme population of sexual deviants, which would be promiscuous gay men, especially those into BDSM, leather culture, fisting, etc. If anything, trans people are buffers for us, and as soon as interest in them wanes, we’ll be next. (Honestly, the shift is amready happening — Klandace Owens et al. are already on the warpath against gay parenting.)

The one group of sexual deviants they’ll never go after is straight, Christian men who molest little girls because heterosexual grooming and sexualization of young girls is integral to their belief system of male domination and women’s role as child-bearers. (The younger girls get started, the better.) That’s why child beauty pageants and marriage to minors is so popular in the Bible belt, while anything outside a heterosexual relationship (including asexuality) is ridiculed, shunned and soon-to-be criminalized.

by Anonymousreply 143June 2, 2023 11:27 PM

^^ Correction — the American Christofascists (with the exception of Ted Cruz) would love to criminalize homosexuality like Uganda has, but I didn’t mean to include asexuals — at best they would be mocked, at worst they would be treated like suspected homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 144June 2, 2023 11:34 PM

[quote]it doesn't matter whether WE associate our struggles for equal rights with those of trans people

If it doesn't matter, then why are there people trying to force the idea that there is an association? If it doesn't matter, we should be able to say, "Sorry, we're not associating," and then we part ways, and no one should care since it doesn't matter,.

by Anonymousreply 145June 3, 2023 12:59 AM

Pointing out correctly that right wingers associate us all as sexual deviants of various flavors and that there is strength in numbers isn't "forcing" anything unless you're an obtuse imbecile.

by Anonymousreply 146June 3, 2023 4:24 AM

R144 Glad you brought up the asexual part. Whether you fuck the same gender, transgender or no gender it’ll never be enough for these people. It’s like that tiger parent that you hope keels over any day.

by Anonymousreply 147June 3, 2023 5:28 AM

[quote] Plus the hurricanes. What exactly is the appeal?

The regular, devastating hurricanes, and that historic flooding of Ft Lauderdale this spring will not be so historic for long. I would not want to live in a state with an aging infrastructure, declining tax base and a climate-change agnostic for a governor.

by Anonymousreply 148June 3, 2023 1:56 PM

[quote][R144] Glad you brought up the asexual part. Whether you fuck the same gender, transgender or no gender it’ll never be enough for these people. It’s like that tiger parent that you hope keels over any day.

It’s fascism. plain and simple. Machismo is the ideal. Anything less than a straight, sexually active biological man is viewed with disdain.

by Anonymousreply 149June 3, 2023 11:46 PM

Florida is a lot cleaner , safer and more affordable than California.

by Anonymousreply 150June 4, 2023 12:45 AM

R150. Cleaner, more affordable? I’ll give you that. Safer? Eh.

by Anonymousreply 151June 4, 2023 2:24 AM

They're about to enact permitless concealed carry. It's about to be the Wild West down there.

by Anonymousreply 152June 4, 2023 4:48 AM

I'm from up north but was living in Houston and hated it. Too damn hot. Got transferred to Florida AND IT'S JUST AS FUCKING HOT! Did get a cute house and did a lot of work but in the eleven years I lived there TWO hurricanes blew through and did damage. My homeowners insurance tripled. I moved five years ago back home (up north). I still talk to friends there and my old neighboor says his homeowners insurance is now $6500 per year.

by Anonymousreply 153June 4, 2023 5:34 AM

Insurers are pulling out of Florida because of climate change, but also there’s been a lot of corruption in the construction industry — people making false claims that their homes were damaged in the storms, in order to remodel. Even though this is mostly in the coastal areas, the whole state is being affected by skyrocketing rates, and the cost of housing, rent and HOA fees will keep getting higher. If your roof is over 15 years old and you live in a coastal area, say goodbye to your insurance. Ocean temps there are in the 90s, yikes. But DeSatan is obsessed with cleansing the state of LGBT people. Wait a minute — maybe he’s actually pro-LGBT!

by Anonymousreply 154July 13, 2023 5:16 PM

To add to [R-153]: I read a few weeks ago on a financial website that homeowner's insurance in Florida was about $1000 a month, assuming one could get it. The more desirable places will be underwater soon. Get out!!

by Anonymousreply 155July 13, 2023 5:33 PM

R46 = Log Cabinette.

by Anonymousreply 156July 13, 2023 5:50 PM

R46:

There are two kinds of people in the world: my kind of people and assholes.

Guess which category you fall in.

by Anonymousreply 157July 13, 2023 5:54 PM

The only time I've liked Florida is once I went to a funeral there in winter and it was so cool to get out of the car and feel tropical breeze in January. Then we waded at the beach. But I hate the flat land; flora; ugly architecture; humidity... and the people seem like scrubs: no intellectual curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 158July 13, 2023 6:37 PM

We all know what happened to people who didn't leave the Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 159July 14, 2023 1:14 AM

Florida sucks

by Anonymousreply 160July 14, 2023 4:41 AM

R112? I'd love to live in California if I could afford it. I came here because I couldn't. Florida is California for poor (and Republican) people.

R136, there are plenty of beautiful places in FL if you'd care to look. Where I live in the Ocala National Forest is one of them (and the spring in the link is 15 minutes from my place). I can't even begin to imagine how much nicer it would be if this place was chock full of liberals keeping the deplorables at bay. You could be part of the solution!

R152, what makes you think that riff raff assholes weren't already carrying weapons illegally? I mean, some young woman in the Orlando area was just arrested for driving drunk without a license (she'd already had three DUIs) and killing three people. But as I've said many times, no one here cares what the laws are -- they do whatever they want anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 14, 2023 11:15 AM

Build the life you want people. How you want. Where you want. I wasted 12 years of my life in Florida. Started looking into adopting a baby around 2002. Discovered Florida was the only state that legally banned gays from adopting. Asked a social worker about it. "Oh that? We just tell people to lie." I wasn't going to build my family on a lie, so I left. Never looked back. Proven right time & time again. The friends I still keep in touch with hate it there, but stay even though it keeps getting worse. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to write a tuition check for my daughter.

by Anonymousreply 162July 14, 2023 12:35 PM

I live in Fort Lauderdale and I planning to leave to north carolina, i thinking charlotte or wastin salem, is that a gay friendly state or city?

by Anonymousreply 163July 14, 2023 5:49 PM

No R163. Go elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 164July 14, 2023 6:02 PM

Florida: “where empathy, decency and kindness go to die."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 14, 2023 7:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!