Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Another tipping thread

Do you tip on the pre-tax or after-tax amount?

And if you have a coupon, senior discount, etc., do you tip before or after the discount is applied? I think most places apply the discount before the tax.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2023 3:33 PM

According to my ex’s parsimonious mother, calculate the tip based on the pretax amount and exclude any drinks, which come from the bar and not the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2023 1:19 PM

My tipping rules:

Mediocre Service - 15%

Good to Great Service - 25%

I tip on the pre-tax amount.

I refuse to dine anywhere where they have coupons or discounts. Presenting a coupon for a meal or asking for a discount is the most tacky thing.

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2023 1:24 PM

R1 So, does she then tip the bartender? Some drinks are more difficult to make than food.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2023 1:50 PM

We never tip!

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2023 2:10 PM

Tipping is so stupid. Oh, I tip. I look at the total (after drinks, after taxes, etc) and just tip based on that, usually 20%. But tipping is so incredibly stupid and just encouragement to business owners to pay below minimum wage.

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2023 2:16 PM

In Chicago the tax is 10% so I double that amount and round up so I don't have to do math .

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2023 2:16 PM

R1 is the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. Only tip on what comes from the kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2023 2:20 PM

I was in a coffee shop yesterday that had in the fine print that 18% gratuity would already be included in the total. That really ticked me off. My approach was always that counter service doesn't get a tip (Starbucks, McDonalds etc.), but table service does. I thought that was a universal approach. Was I wrong - and cheap?

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2023 2:21 PM

The level of greed in the service industry is off the charts at the moment. And it’s not coming from the poor workers. That 18% addition at r8 is a cash grab.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2023 3:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!