Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite newspaper section as a child? Mine was "Parade", (cont)

Not Sports. Not even the Comics. I had forgotten completely about it. I loved the celeb stuff and the human interest stuff. I always flipped to the inside back page immediately.

by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2023 4:00 PM

Arts & Leisure. NYT. And the weddings. I wanted to marry a nice boy and have our wedding announced in the Times, preferably on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2023 2:26 AM

Dear Abby. I wrote to her when I was eight years old. (She replied.)

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2023 2:28 AM

Dear Abby, Ann Landers, Hints From Heloise, the Mailbag section of the tv insert with all the gossip questions.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2023 2:31 AM

I would have been entranced with the NYT as a child. Every once in a while my dad had a copy during the week that he would bring home from work but not the Sunday NYT. We got the local dispatch. And then in the 80s I feel like we got USA Today for a short while. It was color!

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2023 2:33 AM

I just liked "Parade" for the 'Walter Scott's personality Parade" section, with the hilariously unconvincing fake questions purported to be from his readers.

Q. "Our family is simply mad about darling Keri Russell from TV's "Felicity." What's up next for the curly-haired cutie?" -- Mr. Richard Feder, Fort Lee, NJ

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2023 2:34 AM

Re Hints from Heloise! I remember cutting them out and giving them to my mom. I'm sure she thought that was normal. Lord.

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2023 2:35 AM

R5 Perfect! Absolutely what I loved each Sunday. Also why I didn't mind the Dentist because he had People Magazine and we didn't get that at home. Look it's Valerie Bertinelli!

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2023 2:37 AM

Parade: Walter Scott, Marilyn vos Savant, all the Franklin Mint-style ads.

Comics, even the weird comics like "Love Is ... " and "Mark Trail" which were sprinkled in the want ads pages.

Abby and Ann.

And of course — THE MINI PAGE!

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2023 2:53 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned the travel section. Reading "Take the Concorde to London" as a 12-year-old.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2023 3:01 AM

My local paper used to have a section called “Speak Out” where they would print whatever people called in to say - lots of anonymous complaints about neighbors lawns, mostly.

I hate to think what it would be like today if it still existed.

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2023 3:23 AM

Totally Marilyn vos Savant. I remember someone asking if men were really meant to be faithful. Her response was, probably not, but that didn't mean they couldn't try harder.

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2023 3:24 AM

Family Circus and Marmaduke...

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2023 3:24 AM

Peanuts was over my little head. I bought Family Circus anthologies.

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2023 3:27 AM

Dear Walter Scott: So when is that sequel to "Ivanhoe" coming out?

Literate in Lansing

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2023 3:29 AM

The Comics.

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2023 3:32 AM

I liked Hints From Heloise. I remember she advised using club soda to get cum stains out of bedsheets.

by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2023 4:22 AM

Sure, Jan at r16. Club soda would have no effect on a protein stain.

by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2023 2:53 PM

I haven't thought about Marilyn vos Savant in years! She was/is married to Robert Jarvik (one of the co-developers of the Jarvik-7 artificial heart).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2023 3:22 PM

Section 2 of the Sunday NYT.

A.k.a. The Gay Sports Pages!

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2023 3:40 PM

Obituaries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2023 3:44 PM

The LA Times had a section called “Calendar”, which had museum, restaurant, movie and theater articles and reviews, and the comics on the last two pages.

My brother would get to read the comics first, then I took the section and read it front to back.

by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2023 3:45 PM

[quote]Sure, Jan at [R16]. Club soda would have no effect on a protein stain.

It's a joke you stupid fucking cunt

by Anonymousreply 22May 30, 2023 3:45 PM

The comics. WHET Winnie Winkle?

by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2023 4:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!