Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hi I’m an Empath

Ask me Anything

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 1, 2023 11:58 PM

[quote] Hi I’m an Empath

What gives you the authority to be an empath?

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2023 1:35 AM

R1 It’s not an authority. More like a 6th sense. And I know how it sounds but yeah it’s a thing and I have it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2023 1:38 AM

Hi, I’m Kelt!

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2023 1:39 AM

Every person I've ever met who has claimed to be an empath are some of the most psychopathic narcissists I've ever met. Their being "in tune" with you is based on their gaslighting you into believing what they tell you.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2023 1:44 AM

R4 THANK YOU!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2023 1:46 AM

OP, have you ever threatened anyone with being ejected into space?

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2023 1:46 AM

All right, OP. What makes your basic sense of intuition and emotional intelligence more special than anyone else's ?

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2023 1:54 AM

Empath, what would you say my biggest emotional obstacle is currently?

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2023 1:57 AM

R7 Seriously.

Go ahead and read our ire psychically, oh all knowing emotional intelligent one! I'm sure you're sick with toxic emotions from us and had to take a break to stop your mind mel powers.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2023 1:59 AM

It means you can never be Republican.

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2023 1:59 AM

I'm mentally giving you a vicious face slapping.

Can you feel it?

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2023 2:00 AM

R8 no, no that's a psychic. An empath listens to you and starts to really feel and commiserate and share in your emotions with you. Like what we do except they get really into it, uncontrollably and it's oh so overwhelming! They must hermit away from people.

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2023 2:02 AM

Is that like being a Philosophy Major? Basically useless?

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2023 2:03 AM

I used to say I was an empath. Then I realized its just really coming from a crazy abusive childhood where you learn to read people's every move for survival. Now I just say I am good at reading people, bc the term empath makes me sad, it means "I had one of the worst childhoods"

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2023 2:04 AM

I'd rather be around an empath than a sociopath, but most of all a normal fucking person.

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2023 2:05 AM

R14 Interesting take. Empath Op, how was your childhood?

by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2023 2:06 AM

Hi OP!! I'm an empath as well . I was raised by narcissists. It just teases out the empath in a person.

by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2023 2:07 AM

Are you like that girl in the Star Trek episode of the same name?

by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2023 2:11 AM

People who don't really experience much emotion mimic the emotional reactions of others to make themselves feel "normal".

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2023 2:11 AM

[quote] Are you like that girl in the Star Trek episode of the same name?

Deanna Troi.

And she was completely useless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2023 2:15 AM

R5 I swear to go God I’m not like that. I am the most selfless person you will ever meet. And I’m a Virgo. I know it’s so easy to be cynical. But basically it’s an overwhelming feeling in large crowds or intimate settings with new people. It’s also why I’m polarizing because I detect the negative energy early on.

by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2023 2:16 AM

OP - I used to keep a neat house but since Covid start in January 2020 I've gotten messier and messier. I don't like it messy but I always find reasons to avoid keeping house. Well?

by Anonymousreply 22May 30, 2023 2:20 AM

R22 That’s not how this work. Plus I have to be in the same room as you. I’m not psychic.

by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2023 2:20 AM

r21 I think you are confusing empathy with social anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 24May 30, 2023 2:23 AM

Then what are we supposed to be doing here.

by Anonymousreply 25May 30, 2023 2:23 AM

So, I ran into this empath at the park, right? We're talking dogs, and bam! They're like, "Your Aunt Kathy's stuck in purgatory! Pray for her salvation!" We're bawling, praying on our knees right there. Years later, a top-notch psychic informs us it was our freakin' pet rock, partying it up in the afterlife. Who knew they had souls!? Well, at least we had a good time that day. What are ya gonna to do?

by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2023 2:57 AM

Feel THIS, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2023 3:06 AM

Here's a question: Do all your delusions disappear when you're taking your meds or do they simply become more manageable?

by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2023 3:10 AM

R28 I’m not delusional. Really. It’s a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2023 3:15 AM

No you guys. Well, I can't speak for OP. But I am a true empath and I hate it. My parents were neglectful narcs and I learned how to read people. My life depended on understanding and relating to the feelings of others. And I've actually made money from interpreting the confusion of non-empaths. Hint: If you think someone doesn't love you? Yeah, they don't.

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2023 3:16 AM

[quote] My parents were neglectful narcs and I learned how to read people.

Was one neglectful of her duties as the holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx?

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2023 3:20 AM

Lol I'm R 30 and I think you are funny. And also I don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2023 3:22 AM

[quote] Lol

LoL! :)

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2023 3:25 AM

I worked with a guy who thought he was an empath, it reality he was a vicious character assassin.

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2023 3:31 AM

It's an angle. Truly empathetic people don't call themselves "empaths."

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2023 3:45 AM

[quote]r12 An empath listens to you and starts to really feel and commiserate and share in your emotions with you.

Ma’am, this is a Wendy’s.

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2023 3:46 AM

I'll have the Classic Chicken Sandwich Combo please R36.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2023 3:52 AM

R35 This is much more then displaying empathy. It’s much more supernatural. One can be utmost emphatic and not be an empath. You literally feels peoples energies. The more in tuned you are with universe ie clean from alcohol and any narcotic, stress, gluttony the stronger it is.

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2023 3:55 AM

[quote] feels

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2023 3:57 AM

Did OP answer any of the questions?

Feels like she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2023 4:15 AM

“Feels” being the operative word, R40.

by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2023 4:17 AM

That's why I used it R41.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2023 4:26 AM

Oh fuck off it was a typo. I know how to conjugate my verbs.

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2023 4:46 AM

I wish I could conjugate herbs. And just a little protein.

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2023 4:51 AM

R44 😂. Love you.

by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2023 4:52 AM

R8 you need to wear more shequinsh, drink more gin and marry a gay man or two.

by Anonymousreply 46May 30, 2023 5:06 AM

You think a lot of yourself, don’t you?

by Anonymousreply 47May 30, 2023 5:13 AM

R4 is spot on. Anyone who claims to be an empath is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 48May 30, 2023 5:24 AM

R48 That’s not true at all. Why disrespect me? Why not just love me.

by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2023 5:59 AM

I see you, OP. I am you.

by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2023 6:12 AM

An empath once told me cats 'get' me? Do they?

by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2023 6:56 AM

I see what you did there, R31.

by Anonymousreply 52May 30, 2023 8:38 AM

Energy vampires are not empaths, OP.

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2023 12:23 PM

R38 I have felt what it's like to be others especially when falling asleep and people are around.

It's not that great to be others. You're in your own body for a reason. Maybe the hive mind alien races like instantly communicating telepathically but there's a reason why humans are unique characters.

It's telling that some self-proclaimed empaths are attention seeking instead of quietly working as a counselor or something.

I do believe it is a real ability but I think it's the same thing many Eastern philosophies have known for eons, and at the end of the day why would you want to brag about losing your personality in someone else's consciousness? What a burden!

by Anonymousreply 54May 30, 2023 12:49 PM

When you're trying to help someone and it becomes all about you.

by Anonymousreply 55May 30, 2023 12:49 PM

R22, I think it's most likely a response to your life having been taken out of your control. Before the pandemic you felt in control and your environment reflected that. It's possible that if you now force yourself to keep the house tidy until it comes naturally again, it might be a path back to feeling in control more generally. If you can't force yourself to, or after six weeks you're still falling off the tidiness wagon, you probably need a bit of counselling. I'm sure it's something lots of people have experienced since Covid.

The other option is that your life was too rigid before Covid and it forced you to relax your standards. If you felt relief when the house first became untidy that could be it, and you're just feeling guilty now because momma brought you up to be tidy. If you always saw it as a problem but you had too much on your plate with the pandemic to fix it at the time, and the untidiness now genuinely bothers you, then see Par 1.

I don't claim to be an empath, but these seem like the logical alternatives.

by Anonymousreply 56May 30, 2023 3:13 PM

I love how the OP starts with “ask me anything,” and the first person who asks him a genuine question and not raking him over the coals at R22, he immediately says, “that’s not how this works.”

by Anonymousreply 57May 30, 2023 3:44 PM

R57 I asked the question and you are correct. I have have 2 bosses react the same way. They solicited questions, feedback, comments, and people don't want to speak, so I am always game. I ask my question and get immediately shot down. THATS NOT THE KIND OF FEEDBACK / QUESTIUON I am waiting for!!!! Later, colleagues more "empath" than me would explain that they don't say anything to such characters, because they know it's a trap. In short, the bosses were known histrionic narcissists. Perhaps the case with OP.

R56 thanks for your kind and generous response. Definitely some insights for me to consider.

by Anonymousreply 58May 30, 2023 10:22 PM

You're welcome, R58. I hope it's of some practical use.

by Anonymousreply 59May 31, 2023 12:16 AM

Op I empathed with you. I don't want to be rude and describe my feelings. So I won't.

But I did it!

by Anonymousreply 60May 31, 2023 1:18 AM

U pick up the energy of large crowds and suddenly your whole body is kinda of vibrating. It is truly overwhelming and you just want to get away. The only good part of being an empath is that youcan understand most people on a deeper level and help them to understand the world a little better and to make them feel better about this whole bizarre crazy mess of the world , people and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 61May 31, 2023 1:35 AM

Girl, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 31, 2023 1:39 AM

we all know to run far far away from anyone who describes themselves as an "empath" right?

by Anonymousreply 63May 31, 2023 3:37 AM

Yes. They may as well run in screaming that they're a narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 64May 31, 2023 6:00 AM

I don’t believe in woo. So when I hear someone claim to be an empath, I generally roll my eyes.

But I was talking to somebody about how whenever someone told me they had a stomach ache. For example, I would feel like I had a stomach ache suddenly. Headache, tooth ache, itchy, sore ankle, pretty much anything someone else said they had, and somehow my brain has a set of nerves that get activated and make me feel like I am having the pain that the person who told me about it is.

And the person I was talking to said, you’re a physical empath.

I would never describe myself as an empath. But I can’t deny that I have a weird nervous system that makes me feel what somebody else is feeling or talking about. It’s useful in absolutely no way whatsoever. Worst superpower ever.

I just chalk it up to weird brain chemistry.

I also have a weird flip side to this. I can’t feel injections , IVs, or blood draws. At all. I can feel the nurse squeeze my arm, or hold my elbow to draw blood, but I absolutely cannot feel the needle go in. So every time they say, OK, just a quick pinch, I think, OK, but you didn’t have to say that because I ain’t gonna feel it. But I may feel pain at the injection site in the muscle hours later.

Literally The only place I can feel an injection is on my upper teeth along the gums where they inject the Novocain. And even that isn’t what I would describe as a little pinch, it’s like a tiny little pressure, like getting poked in the mouth with a pencil eraser. But I can fucking feel drilling, so if they haven’t given me enough Novacaine, it will hurt like hell.

And it kind of worried me for a while. I mean I can feel everything else. If you touch me, I can feel it. I can feel a hand on my shoulder, or if I stub my toe.

But a couple of weeks ago, I left a glass out on the side table and my kitten shattered it between my sofa and coffee table. And I stepped on the broken glass with both bare feet. I could feel pressure, but I didn’t feel pain or like I cut myself, so I walked into the bathroom just to check it out, and when I turned around there were bloody foot prints leading all the way back to the living room.

I asked my primary care doctor about it. I said hey man, I can’t feel needles when I get shots or blood draws. Could that be a neurological problem? Do I need to see somebody about this? Could this be serious? And he just looked at me and shrugged.

Apparently, I don’t have many pain receptors in my skin. I definitely have them somewhere because I can hurt myself easily and have, I just don’t have enough maybe to feel small things like a needle poke.

But the not feeling the broken glass cut my feet did scare me a little bit, because it made me think I could really hurt myself and be bleeding and not even notice and bleed out and die.

And I don’t have any numbness in my hands or feet or anywhere else. I think I just have too few pain receptors and they’re spread out.

by Anonymousreply 65May 31, 2023 6:37 AM

^ Oh hey! It just occurred to me. I’m actually from New Orleans. Maybe I’m a human voodoo doll. Maybe every time somebody sticks a needle in me, somebody I hate feels it.

That would actually make it a super cool, super power

by Anonymousreply 66May 31, 2023 6:39 AM

^ I need to test this theory out. Next time the news live broadcasts a Trump rally, I’ll be watching from my sofa jamming needles in my arms.

If you see him start to twitch or writhe in pain, you’ll know it’s me.

by Anonymousreply 67May 31, 2023 6:44 AM

An Empath? Isn't that just a term they took from Star Trek and pretended it wasn't science fiction?

by Anonymousreply 68May 31, 2023 6:51 AM

"When you're trying to help someone and it becomes all about you."

That's just what our Empath described above! Only they put it less succintly, they said "An empath listens to you and starts to really feel and commiserate and share in your emotions with you. Like what we do except they get really into it, uncontrollably and it's oh so overwhelming!"

But yeah, it's basically the Empath taking another person's feelings, and making it all about them. Because now THEY are the one feeling the feelings and doing the suffering, as if they can't let anyone else own their pain. Because that would make *them* the center of attention.

by Anonymousreply 69May 31, 2023 9:20 AM

R65 Taking 10" dongs on the Bayou, no problem.

by Anonymousreply 70May 31, 2023 12:00 PM

Cool, I'm an elephant, too.

by Anonymousreply 71May 31, 2023 12:06 PM

R65 you're a writer.

by Anonymousreply 72May 31, 2023 12:32 PM

Learned to read people = learned to manipulate people.

Just like “narc” mom and dad.

by Anonymousreply 73May 31, 2023 2:28 PM

OP, you're not an Empath, you’re a fucking Psychopath.

From another thread (all you, baby) . Nobody cares you fkin cunt. Your boundaries are so well states it’s a book. . R90 Bitch please. Are you the OP? I hate sensitive cunts.

OP no one cares. You are a weak soul. Weak. Nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 74June 1, 2023 7:47 PM

R74 Yes I wrote that. And??? I’m the nicest soul in the world. I don’t do hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 75June 1, 2023 8:03 PM

R74, our research indicates that you are, in fact, NOT the nicest soul in the world.

Tough break for you. Your grease fire awaits, dear.

by Anonymousreply 76June 1, 2023 8:06 PM

Hi, OP! Just how tiny WAS Riker's dick?

by Anonymousreply 77June 1, 2023 8:08 PM

R77 who?

by Anonymousreply 78June 1, 2023 8:09 PM

Commander Riker, of course.

by Anonymousreply 79June 1, 2023 8:13 PM

Sounds like something Poo Shoes would start. Remember her "I am a Southern Witch, ask me anything" thread as well as her "I'm a psychic, ask me anything".

by Anonymousreply 80June 1, 2023 8:15 PM

Most of the Datalounge threads are started by Poo Shoes. Sometimes it's Defucktard.

They try to control the Datalounge and limit what we discuss.

by Anonymousreply 81June 1, 2023 8:31 PM

R81 Oh that’s not I. I’m sensing some loving energy channeled as frustration. What did you have for lunch today?

by Anonymousreply 82June 1, 2023 8:39 PM

R4 is correct. Extreme empathy is associated with pathological narcissism in that the so-called empath is sharply attuned to the emotions of others in order to perform seductively for them and get them to like him/her because narcissists live to be adored and the only way they can ensure that is by intuiting what others feel and need so that they can deliver it.

by Anonymousreply 83June 1, 2023 8:44 PM

[quote] [R81] Oh that’s not I. I’m sensing some loving energy channeled as frustration. What did you have for lunch today?

If you don’t know what they’re talking about, you may have Dissociative Identity Disorder. Trolldar yourself. One of your alters is a raging psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 84June 1, 2023 8:53 PM

R84 Shut yo stankin ass up trick. I ain’t Pooh or that David’s character.

by Anonymousreply 85June 1, 2023 8:59 PM

^ see? Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 86June 1, 2023 9:13 PM

I sense r86 doesn't wash *down there.*

by Anonymousreply 87June 1, 2023 9:16 PM

Empath (n): Person who co-opts another's feelings, to the point what when someone tells them about a personal tragedy, the person who has actually suffered the tragedy ends up comforting the Empath.

by Anonymousreply 88June 1, 2023 11:16 PM

Empath is a made up word from Star Trek. It’s not real.

by Anonymousreply 89June 1, 2023 11:33 PM

Hilarious! Loving this thread! Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 90June 1, 2023 11:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!