Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any elder gays here attend this event back in '83?

I bet it was a blast!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2023 9:59 PM

I remember it, I was there, but it wasn’t 83, it was 46. Yeah, 1946 the summer after I got back from the war. Me and my best girl Lou went together on a double date with her best friend Lulu and her boyfriend Chester. We had a great time! Man, could we cut a rug back then! We were swing, dancing, and drinking fancy drinks, and after a while, Chester and I ended up in the men’s room at the same time and the next thing I know we’re playing who could hide the frankfurter the furthest down their throat. And while we thought it was a men’s room, it was actually just a broom closet, and a janitor walked in and standing right behind him were Lou and Lulu. Needless to say those to beat it like a rug. So Chester and I had a few more drinks, and then ducked outside under a pier and we completely missed The Andrews Sisters!

Ah anyway, that’s what it was like. Yep. That’s how I remember it.

I gotta go find my Jell-O now.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2023 10:43 PM

I saw that Divine show. My car was towed when I parked illegally at the post office nearby. I was under age but they let me in no questions asked. The Copa was good about letting in underage kids.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2023 10:45 PM

It was great! Divine took a shit on Madonna and said "get used to it. People will shit on your career for the rest of your life you fucking trash bag whore." and then we danced.

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2023 10:58 PM

It was unforgettable. It was called "The Night of Dueling Female Impersonators."

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2023 11:14 PM

The Copa? Were Lola and Rico there too?

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2023 11:55 PM

Back when Divine was the bigger headliner:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2023 11:59 PM

No. I have mentioned this before but I saw pre-fame Madonna perform at Danceteria during this era. A friend had passes - we mostly went just to chat and people-watch, Madonna was a footnote. I did think she was striking and had an interesting look but definitely D-list. Even when she first became popular on the radio, I didn't connect her with the woman at Danceteria.

About a year later, I saw her walking near the Hotel Pierre and she couldn't have been more different from the girl at Danceteria. She was beautiful, her skin was flawless and glowed and her golden curls flowed free around her face. She was wearing some Japanese deconstructionist designer clothing and on her it made sense and looked chic. Even then I didn't realize it was "Madonna" just the girl from Danceteria but she was determined not to make eye contact with me.

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2023 1:06 AM

R7, a friend of mine passed by her on the street in NYC and told me that she was the tiniest woman shit ever seen!

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2023 4:18 AM

I meant to say “ tiniest woman she’s ever seen” but I guess what I posted makes sense anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2023 4:45 AM

I would guess that none of those songs were actually hits because the first thing Madonna charted with was Holiday.

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2023 5:19 AM

I think they charted mostly in the dance category R9, but I could me making this up.

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2023 5:24 AM

I was there. Yes it was a blast.

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2023 5:37 AM

R10, "Everybody" was released in October 1982 and peaked at #3 on the Billboard Dance Chart in January 1983. "Burning Up / Physical Attraction" was released as a double-sided single in March 1983 and also peaked at #3 on the Billboard Dance Charts soon after. "Holiday / Lucky Star" was released (double-sided single) in Sept 1983 and topped the Billboard Dance Charts for five straight weeks, until knocked off the top by Shannon's "Let the Music Play."

by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2023 5:47 AM

The Copa is dead. Long live TheCopa. That was the first gay bar/club i ever went to. Lots of good memories.

Sadly in 1983 I was still in high school and in the closet, so I didn't go. It's odd to think of Madonna playing such a tiny venue, though.

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2023 12:36 PM

R2 Parking was definitely a nightmare there. Did you have to run across US 1 after parking at the post office across the street? Risking your life for Madonna. A gold star gay for sure! 🌟

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2023 12:39 PM

R8 She was on the shorter side of average (for 1980s.)

by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2023 3:31 PM

No, r15 I was there the the day before which is when Divine played.

by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2023 3:31 PM

R17 Risking your life for Divine might be even gayer. What's one better than a gold star?

by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2023 3:35 PM

Op, did you speak at the WeHo AA this afternoon?

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2023 9:48 PM

I first heard of Madonna in 1982. I was in 10 grade. I wasn't some cool kid either, but her songs got played on the radio in Philly. I remember a lot of people thought she was black before they saw her on MTV or American Bandstand. "Everybody" was a big hit on urban radio before her album even came out. I heard "Burning Up" on the radio before "Madonna" was released, and "Physical Attraction." "Holiday" was like the 4th song of hers I heard, and by then the album was released. Of course I bought it the first day it came out.

by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2023 9:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!