Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rock Hard, In "Seconds"

Rock Rocks in this underrated thriller. Arguably his best performance, and the last great outing for John Frankenheimer before he turned hack. Film so loathed by the critic at Canne, John refused to attend, even though he was 20 miles away filming Grand Prix....Needs a revival today, and a blu-ray treatment. Re-Rock-Able

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2023 12:52 PM

Criterion released it on Blu-ray a decade ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2023 10:32 PM

I’ll have to check it out

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2023 10:44 PM

Is it streaming?

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2023 10:47 PM

Canne of what? Spam, foie gras, old brie?

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2023 10:49 PM

Rock also turned in a solid performance in Giant

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2023 11:16 PM

Oh, thanks R1....didn't do my research

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2023 11:17 PM

I have this mixed up with "Targets".

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2023 2:29 AM

Cannes, or locally, Canas [ˈkanə].

by Anonymousreply 8May 30, 2023 2:43 AM

Targets >>> Seconds

by Anonymousreply 9May 30, 2023 2:44 AM

Really terrific film. My favorite Frankenheimer next to "The Manchurian Candidate," and probably Rock's best performance.

by Anonymousreply 10May 30, 2023 2:45 AM

[quote]Canne of what? Spam, foie gras, old brie?

spotted dick

by Anonymousreply 11May 30, 2023 2:46 AM

Both ‘Seconds’ and ‘Targets’ are fantastic! The latter is finally coming out on Blu-ray this year.

There are a few different Blu-ray releases of ‘Seconds’. I need to finally buy one—it’s been a few years since the first and only time I saw this film, on the Criterion Channel.

by Anonymousreply 12May 30, 2023 2:55 AM

Rock was sexy as fuck in “Pretty Maids All In a Row”.

He maintained an affair with co-star John David Carson throughout the filming of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 30, 2023 3:02 AM

^^ The very last bit of commentary in that video is pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 14May 30, 2023 3:11 AM

R13, John David Carson was once married to Vicki Morgan, Alfred Bloomingdale's mistress, and murder victim.

by Anonymousreply 15May 30, 2023 3:22 AM

I’m reading that book Vicki about the Vicki Morgan murder, r15.

by Anonymousreply 16May 30, 2023 3:41 AM

Great movie

by Anonymousreply 17May 30, 2023 3:43 AM

R13 John David Carson died of cancer in 2009.

He was married multiple times. Any verification that he and Hudson had an affair?

by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2023 10:49 AM

R18, Barbara Leigh, who played Rock’s wife in “Pretty Maids All In a Row”, was interviewed by the author of this Rock Hudson biography and she said that everyone on the set of the movie knew that Rock and John David Carson were having a fling and that John David Carson was bisexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2023 11:01 AM

R19 Quotes?

by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2023 11:12 AM

"Barbara Leigh, who played Tiger’s wife, remembered that the libidinous activity depicted in the film was matched by some of the behind-the-scenes goings-on. “Rock and John David Carson were having a little ‘tete’ at the time,” says Leigh. “Everybody on the set knew. John David was bi and very cute. And during the film, I had a very brief affair with Vadim. It was brief mainly because my boyfriend at the time, Jim Aubrey, was the president of MGM and he was watching me like a hawk. In those days, I was very young and naïve and Vadim intrigued me, as I’m sure he did Bardot and Fonda. I liked Vadim and he had a good sense of humor but romantically, it didn’t work for me. I didn’t like his personal cleanliness habits. ‘Hygiene,’ I think is the word I’m looking for.”"

by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2023 12:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!