Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Change of heart ? Tina Turner to have 'small private funeral' instead of 'upstaging her rival Aretha Franklin'

Hmmm...

RadarOnLine had earlier reported that Tina Turner planned her funeral after she had her kidney transplant, which was right around the time Aretha Franklin died. After Franklin had her 'big, final, farewell' , Turner started planning her own - and wanted to outdo her lifelong rival, Franklin.

They NEVER had a good relationship,” said a source. Another insider said Tina saw her “swan song as an opportunity to kick a little dirt on her rival’s grave.”

In 2018, a source said, “Tina’s picking out a designer wardrobe for her to wear while she’s lying in repose, a custom hearse, a string of top performers and an amazing gravesite that will overshadow Aretha’s! They were heated rivals in life, and Tina’s not about to let Aretha upstage her in death!””

“It will be Tina’s last and biggest show ever,” said the source. The insider said Tina wanted to make sure her send-off “eclipses Aretha’s!”

Five years later, it's being reported this week Turner wished to be cremated and have a small funeral, a very private affair. She wants a small service in Switzerland, with her manager and close friends attending. She didn't want any family members attending, either, according to Eddy Hampton ‘Armani’, who was Tina’s personal assistant for more than 20 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 16, 2023 5:32 AM

Here is the RadarOnLine post from earlier ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2023 9:29 PM

Who the fuck cares when you’re dead? I don’t care if my remains get tossed in the trash.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2023 9:33 PM

I figured Tina would want to be cremated. That’s what Buddhists prefer. It’s probably already taken place, along with the service.

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2023 9:38 PM

Turner was a dedicated Buddhist for decades. I can't imagine she'd want anything big and flashy. I loved Aretha's Home Going (or whatever they called it) but that's not Tina Turner's style.

It's odd that she banned her own family members from attending. Decidedly odd.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2023 9:46 PM

So, is the family ban to spare the husband having to face some greedy relatives inquiring about the estate and will? I wonder..

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2023 10:20 PM

Hopefully, the world's greatest under-appreciated singer, Patti Labelle, will. have a funeral that will outdo them all!

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2023 10:26 PM

"I'll outdo all those hussies with the biggest funeral ever !"

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2023 10:30 PM

R5 Does she have much family left ? I think her sister passed away, as well as her two sons.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2023 10:31 PM

Why were they rivals?

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2023 10:38 PM

Why did Tina always stand with her legs spread when she was singing? Usually she was dancing around the stage but when she wasn't, her stance was wide open.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2023 10:51 PM

[quote] Why did Tina always stand with her legs spread when she was singing? Usually she was dancing around the stage but when she wasn't, her stance was wide open.

To air out her cooch?

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2023 10:53 PM

I never heard that Tina and Aretha were rivals. Their style and music were different.

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2023 11:23 PM

Why would they have had a good—or bad—relationship? They had little in common.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2023 11:35 PM

I thought that said “a string of topless performers.”

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2023 11:40 PM

"Decidedly odd"

R4 Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2023 11:41 PM

You didn't R14

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2023 11:41 PM

That bitch ate off my plate!

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2023 11:42 PM

I remember how pissed Aretha was when Beyonce referred to Tina as "The Queen" ("stand on your feet and give it up for the queen!") at the Grammys. Apparently, Ree-Ree thought she was the only queen and issued a statement via her publicist. She just couldn't let it go.

by Anonymousreply 18May 30, 2023 12:13 AM

You mean, no change of clothes and Loubies while in the box?

by Anonymousreply 19May 30, 2023 12:19 AM

Aretha supposedly had a feud with Tina over something brain-dead Beyonce said once?

No she didn't, this story is bullshit PR clickbait trash. Aretha may have been irritated by Beyonce but it had nothing to do with Tina Turner, Tina didn't say anything.

by Anonymousreply 20May 30, 2023 12:29 AM

Radar, by the folks who brought you The National Enquirer...

by Anonymousreply 21May 30, 2023 12:35 AM

Who's making up this nonsense that Aretha Franklin and Tina Turner were rivals? Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 22May 30, 2023 12:45 AM

[quote] No she didn't, this story is bullshit PR clickbait trash. Aretha may have been irritated by Beyonce but it had nothing to do with Tina Turner, Tina didn't say anything.

Actually Tina did say something to diffuse the situation but it only further enraged Aretha who made a stupid comment like "Tina has never met me" when their paths had crossed many, many times over the years. Tina was too Zen to respond further.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 30, 2023 12:45 AM

Didn't Tina believe the rumors that Aretha was fooling around with Ike in the 60s, according to Aretha (who denied it) ? That is how the 'feud' began, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 24May 30, 2023 12:52 AM

Never heard of this Tina-Aretha feud before. Sounds like clickbait b.s.

by Anonymousreply 25May 30, 2023 12:59 AM

Definitely clickbait bullshit. Aretha had feuds with many of her contemporaries (Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick, Patti LaBelle), but she didn't have beef with Tina. There was that dustup due to what Beyonce said at the Grammys, and Tina responded by saying, "Aretha's always been that way. We're both Queens. She's the Queen of Soul, I'm the Queen of Rock," or something along those lines. But the two never had beef or even a rivalry with each other.

by Anonymousreply 26May 30, 2023 1:13 AM

[quote] You didn't R14

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 27May 30, 2023 1:41 AM

R24, she didn’t love Ike and said that Ike slept with everyone, that it was a known fact from the start.

by Anonymousreply 28May 30, 2023 1:42 AM

[quote] Why did Tina always stand with her legs spread when she was singing? Usually she was dancing around the stage but when she wasn't, her stance was wide open. To air out her cooch?

Exactly, lots of air needed. It was really moist down there.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2023 1:53 AM

“Baby, we lived Switzerland and we’re gonna die Switzerland. No paps! You be good to me!”

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2023 2:01 AM

Bow-legs need love, too.

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2023 2:07 AM

R28 Yes, but Aretha was the only 'name celebrity' at the time. The other women were back-up singers, and record company employees (IIRC).

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2023 3:28 AM

Tina was bigger than Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2023 6:14 AM

Not when it came to underwear, r33.

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2023 12:52 PM

it all sounds a little weird from someone who was supposedly Buddhist

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2023 12:54 PM

She was a practicing Buddhist rock star from Tennessee, R35, she wasn't the fucking Dalai Lama.

by Anonymousreply 36May 31, 2023 12:59 AM

I was so hoping there would be a running commentary here from Miss Warwick here on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2023 1:30 AM

Blame the AWF Troll who harassed Miss Warwick from posting. AWF is banned (I believe he's back, though, using African American vernacular to disguise himself), but Miss Warwick hasn't posted in quite some time. It's a shame. Those threads were a riot on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2023 2:42 AM

Perhaps Miss Turner suffered from rickets (?).

by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2023 3:03 AM

Clickbait bullshit

by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2023 3:37 AM

[quote] Not when it came to underwear, [R33].

Or Bra - AF’s jugs were ginormous

by Anonymousreply 41May 31, 2023 10:31 PM

Hopefully, the Lord took pity on her soul and allowed her into the Kingdom of Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 42June 16, 2023 4:19 AM

How is dying going to upstage the death of a friend and coworker who died several years ago?

I know it's a tradition in African-American families to show their respect for loved ones (especially female relatives) by having elaborate funerals almost fit for royalty but I doubt they compete by trying to outdo each other with bigger and better arrangements each time someone passes.

by Anonymousreply 43June 16, 2023 4:27 AM

R38 That asshole is back? There is seriously something wrong with him. Aside from pretending to be a 38 year old black man. He was outed years ago where he made a post (dropping the fake persona in the process and speaking normally) where he said he worked on a play with Diana Ross years ago which revealed him to be a middle aged white man (and a very mentally ill one at that) when someone looked up the names of the cast and crew.

I previously thought "King" as he calls himself was The Brooklyn Seacow but apparently it's just some sad old deranged queen.

by Anonymousreply 44June 16, 2023 4:34 AM

Tina could have a big funeral or a small funeral. It doesn't matter. News of Tina's death and all the follow-up stories, social media posts and YouTube plays of 'Simply the Best' have long since surpassed coverage of Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 45June 16, 2023 5:19 AM

R4, I agree. She seemed like a private person. As for Aretha, they are so different I never would have compared them. Totally different genres.

by Anonymousreply 46June 16, 2023 5:22 AM

R5, both her bio sons are deceased. I wonder if she ever met her grandchildren. Maybe, when she divorced Ike a lot of the family took Ike's side and that caused her to disassociate from them.

For example, according to the Wikipedia of Tina's sister, Alline Bullock:

After her sister's acrimonious divorce from Ike in 1978, Bullock still considered him her brother-in-law and attended his funeral in 2007. She told Ebony in 2008: "He was generous and jovial. He seemed like he was forgiving and wanted to be forgiven for the things he did in his early years. The media after he died, tried to destroy his name."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 16, 2023 5:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!