Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever known a cheater who changed?

I mean, genuinely changed.

Do you think it's possible?

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2023 4:25 AM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2023 6:25 PM

I think a chronic cheater might give it up as they aged. Might. And I’m not talking about going from 25 to 30. Someone in their 50s or 60s might run out of sexual energy or get too old and fat to attract the level of cheating partner they enjoyed in the past and just give up.

There are also people who have cheated once or twice in their lives. If they have done it once, they could do it again. But under the right circumstances almost anyone will cheat.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2023 6:30 PM

So, no. Not “genuinely changed” their character. But circumstances can change.

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2023 6:31 PM

Some people are born without the cheating remorse gene. So many people I've known in the creative arts, though nice people, are cheaters, for ex.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2023 6:38 PM

Terminal illness might do it

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2023 7:42 PM

I cheated once on a sweet boyfriend in college, when I was young and dumb and drunk. It made me feel horrible and dirty, and I never did it again.

It is possible to touch a hot stove once in youth, and feel the burn, and get the message.

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2023 8:02 PM

Cheating once, yes they may change. A serial cheater however does not change.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2023 8:04 PM

No.

Never.

And if they do stop it's only due to fear of blowing up their lives. Once they work up the confidence and believe they won't be caught again, they will do it, again.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2023 8:17 PM

That's such a frau question.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2023 8:33 PM

Yes and no, OP. It's easier to put the change down as temporary rather than permanent.

Warren Beatty fucked anything with a pulse back in the day. Didn't matter whether he was attached or the partner he was after had another partner of her own, everyone was fair game. He gave it up for a while to have kids with Annette Bening but now, years later, he's back on the prowl and has been for a good long while. People are who they are, they very rarely change. Core sexual behaviors are difficult to alter.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2023 8:41 PM

As written above (although I believe the meaning was different) weight gain is the most meaningful way to change cheating habits. Although the behavior morphs, from actual cheating to virtual cheating. Typically cheaters consider this to be an improvement, but same void, need for attention, problems being masked, etc.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2023 8:48 PM

Monogamy is not a natural human behavior. Once people figure that out, and are honest about it to everyone involved, life gets much easier.

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2023 8:51 PM

This is most likely a frau thread.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2023 8:55 PM

Are you also r,9, r13?

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2023 8:56 PM

r9

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2023 8:56 PM

Nope! R14

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2023 8:57 PM

Agree with R2 that age might slow down or halt a cheater. My mom dated a guy who was retired from law enforcement (local police). This was someone she had known for a long time, but never dated.

I also used to work in law enforcement and I'm convinced that access to women (who are attracted to the uniform, the position) is a draw for recruitment.

Anyway, before this guy (that my mom dated) retired, he was married and cheated all the time on his wife.

My mom and this retired cop dated for a few years and I don't think he cheated on my mom.

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2023 8:59 PM

I did on my ex after he touched me. No remorse either. He deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2023 9:01 PM

R18? If you were together with your ex before you cheated, wasn't he supposed to touch you?

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2023 9:18 PM

Yes, my brother, He was married four times and cheated on each of his wives. Hus cheating ended when he died.

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2023 8:45 PM

[quote]Monogamy is not a natural human behavior.

Funny, it's completely natural for me. Maybe I'm an alien.

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2023 8:51 PM

If he cheat WITH you, he will eventually cheat ON you.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2023 8:52 PM

Have you ever known a cheater who changed addresses? Yes.

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2023 9:00 PM

I'd argue there is a difference between a cheater and someone who has cheated.

A cheater cannot change. But, just because you've cheated, it doesn't mean you'll do it again.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2023 9:18 PM

I know a couple who fell madly in love around age 30, and one insisted on an open relationship, while as with most open relationship, the other resentfully waited for him to come home - I shall call them Horndog and Doormat.

So Horndog went around telling the whole world about the benefits of an open relationship for years, and would tell Doormat and their friends all about the other people he was fucking. This went on until Doormat finally got sick of it and met another man, and told Horndog all about it, and Horndog was FLOORED!!! And because he was suffering, he realized that Doormat might have been suffering too, and completely rethought his philosophy of relationships. From then on, Horndog shut up about his adventures, which were mostly done while traveling for work, and with time and age he seemed to become a devoted and faithful husband. They're both gone now, but they really were deeply in love, and stayed in love as long as they both lived.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2023 9:51 PM

[quote]From then on, Horndog shut up about his adventures, which were mostly done while traveling for work, and with time and age he seemed to become a devoted and faithful husband. They're both gone now, but they really were deeply in love, and stayed in love as long as they both lived.

In no part of your story does it suggest that Horndog actually stopped hooking up with randos, merely that he stopped talking about it.

Also, there is an enormous difference between being in an open relationship (whether one partner truly wanted it or not) and actually cheating where one partner thinks they're monogamous and, more importantly, behaves accordingly, while the other partner hooks up at will.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2023 9:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2023 9:55 PM

^^^They were on a break. A BREAK.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2023 9:58 PM

[quote] Have you ever known a cheater who changed? I mean, genuinely changed. Do you think it's possible?

Nope, Never, Nada. Don’t believe it, it’s all a pack of lies.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2023 10:12 PM

The.only time a serial chester stops is when they are old enough to need a caretaker.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2023 10:16 PM

Again, nope. Maybe some old hetero dogs who get older (65+) and start to feel they need "someone to take care of them." Even then, they will usually settle down with someone 15+ years younger than them (if they can.)

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2023 10:52 PM

"In no part of your story does it suggest that Horndog actually stopped hooking up with randos"

I have no idea what "Horndog" did when he was out of my sight or traveling, we just don't know everything about other humans. All I know is that a mouthy guy with no known filter never said anything about randos or affairs, even when his beloved husband was not around. So while I don't *know*, the indications are that he stopped fucking around.

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2023 11:41 PM

No such thing, OP

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2023 11:42 PM

[quote]So while I don't *know*, the indications are that he stopped fucking around.

Or, more likely, he simply stopped talking about it.

by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2023 11:44 PM

There’s no such thing as cheating in the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2023 11:48 PM

Cheaters don’t change, they merely conceal their behaviour more effectively.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2023 3:57 AM

[quote] From then on, Horndog shut up about his adventures, which were mostly done while traveling for work, and with time and age he seemed to become a devoted and faithful husband.

Translation: Horndog became old and was no longer able to attract others. Hence, Horndog settled on Doormat.

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2023 4:18 AM

I dated a coworker who, during the early stages of our relationship, fucked another coworker. Because we were all coworkers, I saw it unfold in front of my face. (Not the fucking, but the attraction, etc.) I was hurt and disgusted and cut off the relationship. I remained professional, though, and we continued to work together.

However, for months, he continued to ask me out. Finally, I relented and he treated me well for about 2 years. During those 2 years, we were almost constantly together and I think he was monogamous with me.

I broke up with him (not due to fucking around) and we went our separate ways.

Years later, he came creeping. He's in a relationship that's on the rocks, blah blah blah.

My point: I don't think he changed. Even if he had been monogamous w/me for 2 years, I think he would inevitably have gone back to his old ways.

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2023 4:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!