Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was “Succession” only a show for people who believed in American capitalism and were surprised it was evil?

Per Deadline, “Succession succeeded when it shifted its audience out of their bias and their belief in American capitalism and captains of industry.”

I’m a leftist and have never felt this way, so the show had no appeal for me. It would be like a show that tried to “surprise” you with police corruption.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2023 2:01 PM

Succession was written by rich people about rich people for rich people. It's a celebration of capitalism.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2023 11:35 AM

It bored me in Season 1. Repulsive rich people characters of no intrigue or interest. Never went back.

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2023 11:39 AM

I lasted 3 or 4 episodes. It was a garbage show about garbage people

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2023 11:41 AM

Lol at OP for taking Deadline’s prose so seriously.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2023 11:41 AM

It’s a show about people who delude themselves about their intelligence, capability, and importance. OP, you are probably not the target audience. You are more like one of the characters.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2023 11:42 AM

That's a good analogy. I'm a season behind but this show has NO influence on my thoughts on capitalism. Rich people don't get rich by being "nice." Who doesn't know that?

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2023 12:08 PM

^^I left R1^^

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2023 12:08 PM

Of course not. It’s teevee escapism. Shows about prisons are not just for the prison population. Shows about the poor are not just for poors. Animal Planet is not just for monkeys.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2023 2:39 PM

The Onion gets it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2023 2:40 PM

No doubt the author of this article had a Tumblr account.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2023 2:44 PM

I just couldn't get into this show. It thinks too highly of itself. It felt constipated Another show with miserable characters is Yellowstone, a supposed red state show. I was able to warch it for 3 seasons, it stared out promisign in the first season. The non-stop violence got to be too much. It did have beautiful scenery.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2023 2:46 PM

It's a show about unpleasant wealthy people with power and influence who want more wealth, more power and more influence, based on Rupert Murdoch and his family.

Your personal political stance shouldn't determine whether you enjoy something.

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2023 2:55 PM

You don't understand the show if you think Succession is a celebration of capitalism r1. It is the exact opposite.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2023 2:58 PM

I didn't think it was that good of a show.

Season 1 - every episode

Season 2 - every episode

Season 3 - the first 3 episodes

Season 4 - half of the episodes

Rory Culkin said there could be a season 5. If there is, I won't watch it.

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2023 4:22 PM

You are incorrect, r13. The show is by the 1% for the 1%. The “losers” get feted at every turn, jetted off to amazing locations, mingle with the powerful, and - when they don’t get control of the company - walk away with billions.

There is literally no downside to capitalism in this show.

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2023 7:26 PM

I don’t get why this show charmed millions of people. Unlikable rich people make a couple of phone calls and say the word fuck a bunch of times in one sentence.

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2023 7:30 PM

R15 - the main characters are miserable dysfunctional horrible people.

That's the downside.

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2023 7:31 PM

It was about far more than politics. If anything it was about how abused narcisists fuck people over and self sabotage....politics/power/money is just the weapons they use. But OP would know that if he had actually watched.

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2023 7:34 PM

The pilot episode wasn't even that good.

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2023 7:36 PM

This thread has the ole whiff of "I couldn't get into it, so I'm cutting it down to make myself feel better for not getting it"

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2023 7:37 PM

R17: “ [R15] - the main characters are miserable dysfunctional horrible people.

That's the downside.”

That’s the downside to being human - not to being capitalist. There are downsides to being capitalist. But we didn’t see them.

by Anonymousreply 21May 29, 2023 7:39 PM

R17 That’s exactly what the show is about. It’s about sibling and family rivalry.

It’s not really a show about capitalism, that’s in the background. None of the show’s character arcs have anything to do with capitalism, they have to do with dealing with their issues of having a fucked up mother and father.

by Anonymousreply 22May 29, 2023 7:50 PM

It was a very mediocre television show that is only beloved by people who think that watching it says something good about themselves. These people imagine themselves hosting dinner parties with people like Tony Randall. It’s a very delusional and very pompous level of self regard that one must possess in order to mistake this show for quality television.

It will be forgotten tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 23May 29, 2023 7:58 PM

[quote]I don’t get why this show charmed millions of people.

It didn’t. Which is why no one was talking about it at work, even after RTO.

by Anonymousreply 24May 29, 2023 8:01 PM

[quote]It was a very mediocre television show...It will be forgotten tomorrow.

Expect another Emmys sweep as well as months, years, decades of analysis to ensue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2023 8:08 PM

R12 No.

Kendall was constantly competing with his father. Connor struggled with being the black sheep. Roman felt pressured to be there but didn’t want to be. Shiv was the underdog. Tom married rich and had inferiority issues. Greg was a loser looking for a break.

If anything, it was kind of a story of how and why generational wealth can fail or what happens with nepotism. Logan built an empire for his family and they struggled to sustain it.

Kind of like when you look at monarchies. Empires weaken and collapse because each generation of children get dumber and more privileged.

That’s what I’ve been watching lol.

by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2023 8:09 PM

Jeremy Strong, Matthew MacFadyen, Nicholas Braun - not a single one of those guys could've given us an ass shot.

by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2023 8:45 PM

It was a fun series. For me, Brian Cox and Jeremy Strong made that fucking show worth watching.

I don't know who you people are here, bitching about Capitalism. Is this my dorm room at 3:00am in the 70's?

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2023 8:57 PM

Who cares what the fucking Emmys say, R25?

Emmy voters like Succession for the same stupid reason you do. They like what they think it says about them.

In the real world, no one likes this stupid show, and that's why NO ONE talks about it.

by Anonymousreply 29May 30, 2023 2:59 AM

Oh R29. Get a fucking hobby.

by Anonymousreply 30May 30, 2023 3:17 AM

I think Succession is successful because of the “wannabeism” that is a significant part and promise of our national DNA and our “carrot-like” capitalism, and has been a part of us since the founding of the Republic -discussed thoroughly during the founding Convention , and actually written into our national Constitution,

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2023 3:22 AM

In pro wrestling there’s a phenomenon called “Go Away Heat,” defined on Wiki thusly:

[quote]When a wrestler, heel or face, evokes a negative reaction not through their working of the audience but because the audience are not entertained by the wrestler and do not want to watch them perform. Compare X-Pac heat.

Every single character and plot point on “Succession” was so detestable that it always had Go Away Heat with me. Not unlike an episode of “Keeping Up With The Kardashians” or “Real Housewives”.

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2023 7:43 AM

The NYT Pitchbot gets it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2023 1:29 PM

“the people who run the NYT have no idea that Succession was written about people like them”

That’s it. There’s a literati class that seems to have interpreted Succession as aspirational.

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2023 1:32 PM

I enjoyed the early seasons of Succession very much. This season a little less. However, I am 100% sick of all the articles about the show. Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2023 1:36 PM

I watched the first few episodes but it was during the Dump presidency and I couldn't take watching more evil rich people so I stopped watching. May watch the last episode out of curiousity.

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2023 2:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!