Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

London West End: What’s Good

I’m at my wit’s end trying to find a good show that will please me and two others. We’ll be there in October. Any suggestions? Everything looks Americancentric.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2023 3:35 AM

OP - when are you going to be there? Also, does it HAVE to be commercial West End theatre? There are obviously dozens of non-commercial theatre companies in London. And, can you give us an idea of your taste? The shows you've enjoyed in the past? Whether in the UK or elsewhere?

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2023 10:49 AM

I’ll be there in October and I like a broad range. I’m really most invested in seeing excellent performers. I want Royal Academy or Shakespeare types!

I’m American and would like to see something that isn’t warmed over Hollywood garbage. Tough, considering this seems to fill theater seats wherever you go.

I’ll be going with one flexible person and one who’s triggered by musicals. I should take her to Mamma Mia to see how she handles frauen singing in the aisles, right?

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2023 6:03 AM

Buy yourself a Time Out when you get there- the U.K versions for theater are very comprehensive- from the hottest West End ticket to some weird performance art piece being done above a pub. You'll get a good breakdown + tips on how to get tickets.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Thanks, r3! The online Time Out has been limiting.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2023 7:37 AM

The Royal Academy is an art gallery.

It's quite commercial but the musical Six got race reviews, based on Henry's better halves

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2023 9:44 AM

OP, beyond the listings for commercial West End theatre, you can check out what's playing at London's non-profit theatres. Someone actually just posted about the big players in this space on All That Chat, funnily, so I'm just copying and pasting their list for you...

National Theatre

Royal Court

Old Vic

Young Vic

Almeida

Donmar Warehouse

Bridge

Shakespeare's Globe

The Barbican

Royal Shakespeare Company

Menier Chocolate Factory

Southwark Playhouse

Hampstead Theatre

Lyric Hammersmith

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2023 12:16 PM

The tips here have been helpful, my DLers! Thank you.

As of now, we have tickets for Pygmalion at the Old Vic. We’ll check around when there to see if anything else works for us, too.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2023 12:49 AM

The Royal Academy was one of THE world’s premier schools for acting. Has it dissolved??

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2023 12:59 AM

OP, we are going in late September and have already bought tix for PYGMALION at The Old Vic starring Bertie Carvel and Patsy Ferran, two great actors we love, a one man UNCLE VANYA starring Andrew Scott (the priest from FLEABAG) and OPERATION MINCEMEAT, which we've heard amazing stuff about.

On our last trip last March we saw GUYS & DOLLS at The Bridge and it is absolutely unmissable! The most fun I've had at a musical in years, far better than all that junk on Broadway.

Lots of London theater, both in the West End and at the theater companies is available daily at the 1/2 Price Booth near Leicester Square on the day of performance (sometimes a day or two earlier). I think it opens daily around 11 am. Definitely check it out but make sure you go to the official booth as you'll see signs for other 1/2 price tix in the area that are scams.

Oh, I see now that you already have the PYGMALION tix. Great choice!

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2023 12:59 AM

West End town, a dead end world

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2023 1:01 AM

Check out 'The Motive and the Cue', a transfer from the National Theatre to the West End. It is about John Gielgud directing Richard Burton in a Broadway production of Hamlet, and portrays the creative process in general. Mark Gatiss has received rave reviews; he is perhaps best known to American audiences as Mycroft Holmes (Sherlock's brother) in the TV series.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2023 1:05 AM

Nicole Scherzinger stars in the revival of Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy Theatre in the West End. Performances begin 21 Sept.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2023 1:16 AM

o m g I just got tix for Frank & Percy with Ian McKellen and Roger Allam, and Lyonesse w/Kristin Scott-Thomas and Lily James. I'm pretty happy right now

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2023 2:13 AM

I was so excited to see the West End production of All About Eve several years ago. Unfortunately, it was a piece of shit and almost completely ruined my trip to London.

An exhibit of Diana’s dresses at Kensington Palace helped salvage the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2023 2:21 AM

Sadly, I believe The Motive and the Cue is now between engagements at The National and in the West End. Otherwise I'd be sure to see it when I'm there in late Sept. Hopefully, it'll still be in its West End run when I'm back in the spring.

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2023 3:32 AM

"Stardust", Stephen Sondheim's recently discovered musical version of the movie "Showgirls".

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2023 3:57 AM

Sondheim mentioned reminds me that Bernadette Peters will be in Old Friends this February at the Gielgud.

There will be some upcoming performances I’m sorry to miss after the new year. Ralph Fiennes in MacBeth and Brian Cox in Long Day's Journey into Night, primarily.

I missed out on tickets for Lyonesse, they’ve been mostly scooped up through October.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2023 3:31 AM

Oh, and r16? You’re a whore, darlin.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2023 3:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!