Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What can I do with lots of Hummus?

I bought so much hummus, because it was on BOGO, and I forgot I still had some at home. Is there any recipes you recommend for loads of hummus besides eating it with pita bread and raw veggies? Can I bake with it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 16, 2023 12:37 AM

Use it as salad dressing. Thin it out with some tahini sauce if necessary.

by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2023 5:22 PM

One thing is, not have erections.

Hummus is full of estrogen.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2023 5:24 PM

Throw an impromptu party OP!

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2023 5:25 PM

Throw that shit out

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2023 5:25 PM

Did you bring home two containers of hummus (a literal BOGO), or did you buy one at half price? Publix allows for the latter, which is good for those of us who don’t want large quantities.

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2023 5:27 PM

Hummus is actually a breakfast food in the middle east. Top it (if you'll pardon the expression) with a fried or poached egg. Delicious!

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2023 5:27 PM

Apply it nightly to your face as a beauty masque.

by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2023 5:29 PM

You can use it like mayo/mustard in wraps and sandwiches. You can also throw it in pasta salad.

Though hummus is something I always buy and say I'll eat and never eat.

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2023 5:29 PM

It actually freezes pretty well. I make homemade hummus and homemade red lentil cakes (red lentils with chopped up mint and parsley and spices like cumin, paprika, and zaatar and then formed into little patties) and then put them in freezer containers, and pull them out and will make little tiny sandwiches with a lentil cake and a scoop of hummus on a quarter of pita bread. Sometimes that’s what I’ll bring for lunch to work. By the time I’m ready for lunch, they’re thawed and chilled and perfect.

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2023 5:35 PM

And the only premade hummus I’ve ever tried that was any good was at Whole Foods from the restaurant CAVA. Sabra isn’t hummus as far as I’m concerned. It’s wallpaper glue. It’s disgusting and should be banned.

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2023 5:37 PM

Eat hummus.

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2023 6:49 PM

These hummus muffins recipes only use 1/2 cup of hummus.

I'd freeze the hummus.

Also, I like Sabra hummus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2023 6:56 PM

hummus freezes beautifully, I make large batches of it and freeze it in individual containers.

I eat it with pita chips, feta and black olives (I usually blend marinated artichokes and spinach into it. I also will add it to. a chick pea and spinach soup I make.

by Anonymousreply 13May 28, 2023 6:56 PM

Mixing it in a soup sounds good.

You could mix it with some short-shaped pasta (fusilli, bowties). Mix in some kalamata olives and whatever else you like.

by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2023 7:01 PM

^ I would add feta, olive oil, and vinegar to r14's very good pasta idea.

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2023 7:07 PM

Hummus toast is good. Think like avocado toast in that you can add things like sun dried tomatoes, feta, olive oil or seasoning. I did it on a rice cake, and have done it on English muffin.

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2023 7:08 PM

[quote]I did it on a rice cake, and have done it on English muffin.

But have done it on a waterbed, r16?

by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2023 7:17 PM

Use it to frost a carrot cake!

by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2023 7:18 PM

Lube

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2023 7:18 PM

R9 got a recipe? Those sound good

by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2023 7:50 PM

I'll put in another pitch for simply making your own -it's so easy, a small child could do it -and the result is lightyears beyond anything you can pick up in the store. It is also significantly cheaper to make it at home. All you need is a blender, garbanzo beans, lemon, garlic, and tahini sauce. For garnish, I drizzle a little olive oil on it, along with a sprinkle of paprika. Top with olives and/or pickle slices, but those are really just for company.

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2023 8:25 PM

Can you masturbate with it?

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2023 8:37 PM

[quote]One thing is, not have erections.

[quote]Hummus is full of estrogen.

You know, I'd heard this. Yet, have you seen how hairy the men from the Middle East are?

Geez, if that is how they are pumped full of estrogen, I shudder to think what it would be like with a hummus-free diet.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2023 8:52 PM

Rub it into your asshole

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2023 10:49 PM

Build a tiny snowman.

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2023 10:50 PM

R17 yea I just lick it right it off

by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2023 10:53 PM

[quote][R9] got a recipe? Those sound good

I just looked up a hummus recipe online and it’s basically just blended canned chickpeas, tahini, lemon, salt, cumin, garlic powder, a little olive oil and just a little water to get it thinner. Then if I’m using it right away, put it in a bowl and make some round grooves with a spoon and pour olive oil over the top and press a walnut half into it or a Kalamata olive in the center.

The lentil patties I had to make up based on some I bought at a farmers market but they’re pretty easy and I don’t have measurements. But I boil red lentils until they’re almost mush (still a little firm but easily smashed) and the drain them and let them cool in a bowl. Then add finely chopped mint and parsley, cumin, salt, garlic powder or crushed garlic, zaatar if I have it, which I usually do, paprika (the lentils lose a lot of color and the paprika just makes them a nice red, but you could use smoked paprika) and stir it all up. It should be a kind of play-dough consistency (maybe a little looser). Then roll scoops into meatball sized balls and flatten them a little. I don’t know how much of each ingredient I used, I just taste as I go along and add more as needed. And I make them small, like the size of a biscuit. They hold together without any binding agent but they crumble easily. And they also freeze well.

Stick one in a quarter of a pita with hummus and smash them a little more when everything is thawed. Sometime I’ll put a little cilantro in as well.

They’re fully cooked but they’re kinda like an unfried falafel. And they’re delicious.

One day I’ll measure what I actually use, but I’ve been doing it so long with no recipe that I really have no clue what to say about measurements. I just eyeball it and taste as I go and they always come out the same.

But I probably only use about 1 cup of lentils and I end up with lots of small lentil balls. Enough to eat and freeze a dozen or so.

by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2023 3:23 AM

I have never acquired a taste for it. In fact, garbanzo beans are not tasty. I know they're health but so what.

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2023 3:39 AM

r28 You could say the same about tofu or eggplant or zucchini. Many foods just aren't flavorful enough on their own, that's why the use of aromatics and herbs and spices and various other seasonings is so prevalent. I'm glad we've got them though, or eating a tasty meal would require much more prep than it already does, or ultimately just lacking enough flavor to make our mouths water in anticipation. Can you imagine chili without cumin or various kinds of peppers? And what would pizza be like if we didn't have basil or oregano, to name two popular herbs that are practically de rigueur when it comes to enjoying pizza? Curry would hardly be worth the trouble if we didn't have the myriad of flavors that so many herbs and spices bring to it. And to say nothing of good ol' black pepper, probably my favorite spice.

When I make hummus half the time is spent on getting together various things to add to the beans I just threw into the food processor. Some people like to keep it simple, but I prefer a lot of different flavors to make it as tasty as I can without them competing or possibly overshadowing each other.

Too much hummus on hand? I agree with the up-poster's tip about soup. Adding chickpeas to a tomato or tomato-based soup is highly recommended. I've been making one for years and have forgotten where I first saw the recipe. Half of the beans are added whole to the soup, the other half are mashed or blitzed up with some of the soup to act as a thickener. If the hummus you have is not overly-spiced, consider using it with some jelly for a variation on PB&J. Add some hummus to the sauce when you make shakshuka. Hummus and guacamole on a pita( I just had to sneak pita in here somewhere, mea culpa) makes a great sandwich With all the hints on this thread you'll run out of hummus all too soon, and have to go and purchase some more. 👨‍🍳

by Anonymousreply 29May 29, 2023 1:52 PM

R28 has baby taste!!

by Anonymousreply 30May 29, 2023 2:26 PM

[quote]With all the hints on this thread you'll run out of hummus all too soon, and have to go and purchase some more. 👨‍🍳

Or make! I think 99% of store bought hummus is inedible. Sabra is probably the worst and if I go to someone’s house and see it sitting on a table alongside pita chips, I know we can no longer be friends. Lump it in with Velveeta and canned Vienna Sausages.

They should be banned. By Congress.

by Anonymousreply 31May 30, 2023 12:53 AM

r31 I agree about the brands of hummus we see in grocery stores. Too smooth, too flavorless and WAAAAAAY too much salt. For the price of one of those tubs you can buy the separate ingredients needed to make hummus at home, and flavor it to your liking. EVOO, beans, tahini, garlic and lemons are easy to keep on hand, so whipping up a batch presents no problems.

by Anonymousreply 32May 30, 2023 1:49 AM

[quote]And what would pizza be like if we didn't have basil or oregano, to name two popular herbs that are practically de rigueur when it comes to enjoying pizza?

I love fresh basil. The dried stuff has no reason to exist.

by Anonymousreply 33May 30, 2023 2:08 AM

[quote]I love fresh basil. The dried stuff has no reason to exist.

Yeah, but the dried stuff is what makes it taste like New York City pizza sauce. So it has its place. Fresh basil just doesn’t taste the same and would not taste the same in a pizza sauce. They need thyme, oregano, and basil.

I love fresh basil on top of a pizza, but I want dry basil in the sauce

by Anonymousreply 34May 30, 2023 4:16 AM

I have a good hummus garbage recipe. You take hummus and put it in the garbage.

by Anonymousreply 35May 30, 2023 4:18 AM

r34, it's a long time since I lived in NY or NJ, so I can't opine as to how "New York City pizza sauce" tastes today. But I've always hated the flavor of dried basil. It's hard to believe I ate it willingly as a child, given that pizza was my very favorite food. Still is.

Maybe not all NY pizza had dried basil. I don't really know.

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2023 4:21 AM

[quote]Maybe not all NY pizza had dried basil. I don't really know.

They’re almost all huge cans of canned tomatoes, dried thyme, oregano, and basil, and simmer for about 20 minutes. That is the signature sauce. And that’s what people like.

My sister can’t stand dried herbs. But I love them because you can make things like little bowls of olive oil with dried basil , dried thyme, dried oregano, a little garlic powder, and maybe some red pepper flakes and it makes a perfect dipping sauce for a crispy Italian bread. Dried herbs. Definitely have their place in the world and my cabinet is overflowing with them. If I walk into a penzeys, I will walk out with two shopping bags full of 4 ounce jars of spices and herbs.

I love fresh herbs, but I generally don’t cook with them (with the exception of maybe rosemary) and use them as garnishes and on top of dishes instead. The dried herbs are excellent for soups, stews, sauces, and pretty much anything that has enough liquid to rehydrate them, and just extract their flavor.

Plus, there are things you just can’t get fresh. Like smoked paprika or Chinese five spice. I actually don’t keep them in the original jars. I have about 60 magnetic screw on lid tins that are full of them, they’re all labeled, and they’re attached to my refrigerator. My refrigerator ior Chinese five spice. I actually don’t keep them in the original jars. I have about 60 magnetic screw on lid tins that are full of them, they’re all labeled, and there attached to my refrigerator. My refrigerator is a giant spice rack.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2023 4:38 AM

That was weird. I was using text to talk, and it doubled one of my sentences. Don’t oh dear me please.

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2023 4:40 AM

Bottom with it for an Arab dude.

by Anonymousreply 39May 30, 2023 4:43 AM

I like to make a hummush martini with 2 olivesh

by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2023 4:45 AM

Makes a great filling for a vegetarian sandwich. Best on a wrap, fill it with a thick layer of hummus, sliced black olives, shredded carrot, chopped kale (or lettuce), diced tomato, salt, pepper and a little minced garlic or garlic powder. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2023 4:52 AM

Hummus is baba ghanoush's sadder stepsister.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2023 4:53 AM

Not to derail the hummus thread, but kale gets a terrible rap and it’s actually really delicious and incredibly versatile. I prefer kale in Caesar salads because it doesn’t wilt. It’s sturdy enough to stay in the fridge overnight and still come out crispy unlike romaine lettuce.

And one of my go to all-time favorite recipes, is to take kale or Swiss chard and strip the leaves, chop up the stems and then roll up and chiffonade the leaves. And then I’ll smash a couple garlic cloves hard and toss them in a skillet with olive oil, and the chopped up stems and sauté them until they’re soft. Then at the last minute I will toss in the leaves just to wilt them with red pepper flakes and maybe add some salt and pepper, and a splash of chicken stock and let it simmer for a few minutes.

Then spoon it over Parmesan cheesy grits.

One of the best and fastest meals in the world.

I suppose you could add hummus if you wanted to you. You do you.

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2023 5:05 AM

And I do have the best grits recipe in the world. You make it just like regular grits but you use five minute grits instead of the 30 minute cooking ones, and for the liquid instead of water, you use half heavy cream and half chicken stock. And to it, you stir in toasted, corn kernels, that you blacken a little in a cast-iron skillet. And then heaping scoops of Parmesan. And you don’t just have plain boring grits, you have super grits. All fat and carbohydrates. How could you go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2023 5:07 AM

So I was a vegetarian for over 15 years, and it took me like five years after I quit before I could eat a steak or chicken on a bone. I am well past that stage now and I didn’t do it fine but I still shop like I’m a vegetarian. I used to buy canned beans, but now I have an instant pot and I have probably 20 pounds of dried beans in 10 different varieties in my cabinet. And I also have things like pastas of every variety, cornmeal, grits, canned tomatoes, staples, like sugar and salt and pepper, bags, and bags and bags of rice, and then mainly condiments. And when I grocery shop, I buy all the fresh vegetables I need for the week and maybe one or two types of meat. And I can cook an entire meal out of pantry food and the fresh food just makes it nicer.

But between everything in the pantry and the few vegetables or meat, I bought, I can usually make an entire week or two of food. I don’t do meatless Mondays. I do meatless Monday through Fridays, and then usually just try to cook some thing using the meat on the weekends. It’s kind of a hard habit to break after 15 years (well really closer to 20 because it did take me five years to sort of ramp back up). But hummus is a staple. I’ll always have it in the fridge, or in the freezer, homemade in the food processor, from dried chickpeas that I didn’t even soak and cooked in the instant pot.

And I make some weird recipes that make people raise their eyebrows. Like refried beans. I buy pinto beans, and I love them in soups, but I make refried beans out of black-eyed peas. I will cook them in the instant pot, then drain them and mash them, and then cook them in a skillet with Crisco (or olive oil, if I don’t have Crisco) and fry them off and then add cumin, and chicken, bullion, and then thin it out with a little water. And they taste more like restaurant refried beans than what I can do with pinto beans.

My sister doesn’t trust me. She thinks I am breaking all the rules and doesn’t like it when I don’t use pinto beans.

by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2023 5:26 AM

R45 How long do you cook beans in the instant pot before you can use them in so many recipes? I love your outlook on food life, and I pretty much do the same, except I eat a bit more meat. I bet you are one of those people who look 25, but are actually 50.

by Anonymousreply 46May 30, 2023 12:52 PM

R46, it depends on the bean, but black eyed peas only take ten minutes of cooking time. So about 5 minutes to come to pressure, ten minutes to cook, then let them sit under pressure for a slow release for 15 minutes before you release all the steam, so about 30 minutes. Without an instant pot, you have to soak them over night. Then they can take 1-2 hours to cook in a regular pot.

I’m 51 and I think I look 51, but I grew up in the South where it was so hot you spent as much time inside as possible to avoid the heat. And I’d rather stay inside and read then go out normally. And now I live in Colorado that gets 300 days of sunshine a year and everyone is out hiking in the sun since birth, so I haven’t developed crows feet or wrinkles yet but I’ll see pics of guys on scruff with some gray in their hair and leathery wrinkled faces and even if I think they’re handsome, I’ll think “oh he must be early 50s” and then click on their profile and they’re 34!! Colorado boys age very prematurely because of sun damage.

Unfortunately though I went grey very early (both of my parents did as well) and I have very thick hair, but at 51 it’s not grey, it’s white! So I get my hair colored grey! 😂. And I have a great stylist who paints it in instead of doing an all over color so I look like I have grey hair with some white poking through. I told her, I don’t want to look like I’m trying to be 30, I want to look like a 50 year old, not an 80 year old!! She does a great job but she does think it’s funny that I won’t let her use any dark brown and insist on just grey (she works in a barber shop and mainly does men’s hair and I think all her other male clients come in and want to cover their grey completely. I just want to look like what they look like waking in the door!)

by Anonymousreply 47May 30, 2023 4:15 PM

[quote]Hummus is full of estrogen.

Think you’re mixing up chickpeas with soybeans. Hummus is made with chickpeas.

Chickpeas do not contain estrogen. However, chickpeas DO contain an estrogen-like plant compound called phytoestrogen. Chickpeas aren't the only plant food to contain phytoestrogen.

Quiona also contains phytoestrogens, but not enough to endanger anyone. Not enough for a man to grow breasts or lose his erections!

Even organic foods aren't 100% perfect.

Let's all stop eating!

by Anonymousreply 48June 15, 2023 7:43 PM

Our store just started selling Holy Hummus. It's the best tasting store-bought hummus I've ever tasted. Tastes as good as my Turkish sister-in-law's homemade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 15, 2023 8:12 PM

[quote]Apply it nightly to your face as a beauty masque.

That would be Tumeric not Hummus.

Lots bullshit artists on DL. Or people who fail at being funny.

by Anonymousreply 50June 16, 2023 12:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!