Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

China Box Office tanks the Little Mermaid!.

"According to EntGroup, The Little Mermaid grossed just $550,000 at the box office upon opening. Far below previous blockbuster releases from Disney in 2023. For comparison, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which continues to play in Chinese theaters, earned $7.5 million over its opening day and previews."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 1, 2023 2:44 AM

Racists

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 28, 2023 1:27 AM

R1 Yeah. Black Panther Wakanda tanked there too.

by Anonymousreply 2May 28, 2023 1:31 AM

I for one don’t care if American movies do well in China, and the period where that audience seemed to be more important than the domestic one was bleak. One hopes there has been a pullback.

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2023 1:34 AM

R2 Wakanda Forever was banned in China. You tried it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2023 1:35 AM

Shangqi was banned in China as well

by Anonymousreply 5May 28, 2023 1:38 AM

What OP failed to reveal is that it’s opening Memorial Day weekend here in the states is projected for $125 million release which is good in any decade but especially this post Covid one. Also China the most pro-active and reactive countries to the Covid pandemic, life has not fully returned to normal. I know people like to think of things in a bubble when it comes to foreign agencies. Even Chinese films are not doing do as well in China because of Covid.

You can thank me later OP for providing a more realistic take.

by Anonymousreply 6May 28, 2023 1:40 AM

Your post literally added nothing to discussion.

by Anonymousreply 7May 28, 2023 1:43 AM

Chinese audiences aren’t as into American films as they once were.

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2023 1:43 AM

And just in general Disney films don’t do as well in China as Marvel films. The Chinese don’t grow up with these fairytales like American children. And no I’m not diminishing the Chinese dollar and Disneys success abroad but these Marvel films are hugely popular with China’s comic/nerd boy fan base which there are millions of them. For example if a Disney film flops here in states it cannot rely or China to make a profit, maybe break even. Marvel flops here in the states have often still drew huge profits in China making the film a success.

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2023 1:44 AM

R7 who you talking 2? Because it added a lot to this disingenuous thread created by a probably Maga OP.

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2023 1:45 AM

R4, the article reports that’s wakanda forever was distributed in China and made $15.5mm.

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2023 1:46 AM

China also just had an upsurge in Covid cases this last week

by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2023 1:49 AM

“ Even Chinese films are not doing do as well in China because of Covid.”

Dunno about Chinese films. But the market there is more than strong enough to sustain a $50 million opening in May.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 28, 2023 1:50 AM

WHY SHE BRACK? ME NO GO.

by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2023 1:51 AM

R11 yeah 3 months after it’s release and all promotion had died down. Are you purposely being obtuse. The Chinese fanboys are extremely tech savvy. They found a way to watch that film online. Not to mention even upon release over 3 months later in February it was restricted to the big cities, competed with newer films.

By the way I know Disney owns Marvel. I mean superhero/comic movies promoted under the Marvel umbrella rather than Disney proper.

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2023 1:52 AM

Black movies aren't of interest over there.

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2023 1:56 AM

R16 The first Black Panther was extremely successful. Are you some type of stupid cunt?

Yeah the Chinese audience at large may be bit a hesitant to accept black stars but they also routinely ban gay/lesbian films so I don’t get why you guys are holding China to some type of cultural standard. Their homophobic and that’s not cool right? But black right, it’s ok. For years many American films written for adults were produced and relied solely on an American audience before China even had a regular movie going audience of foreign films. You cunts slay me. You did brainwash these cunts to hold your standard beauty even higher than their own; something you will never hear black people say or express. Yes the Chinese will publicly say white is better. At any rate, maybe Hollywood can go back to producing meaningful adult dramas like they did in the 80s and 70s. Quite possible the whole black resistance will disappear within a generation because the Chinese youth loves hip hop and black hairstyles. It was a time when many of black films flopped here in the states because of the cross sectional of racism and banning that took place in the Jim Crow south.

Embrace of different cultures always wins in the end even if you you Klan Grannies don’t live long enough to see it.

by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2023 2:07 AM

[quote]WHY SHE BRACK? ME NO GO.

Oh my, but aren't you the amusing fag?

by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2023 2:49 AM

They liked Coco

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2023 2:52 AM

Sum Ting Wong

by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2023 2:53 AM

Maybe it’s because they discovered a superior and much more entertaining animated version of the same movie.

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2023 2:55 AM

Good thing Western Europe and Canada is nowhere near as racist as China and the states non ethnic majority. Not all but many.

This film is about to break records. Just like the Lion King live action will be a huge success.

by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2023 3:00 AM

The girl playing Ariel is beautiful and I can’t believe the casting of this movie is even a big deal to anyone still.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2023 3:03 AM

I thought the original Little Mermaid soundtrack was fantastic, but someone at Disney said, “No! Too dated. We need Awkwafina to rap something urban in her raspy, cigarette-infused blaccent.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2023 3:22 AM

How realistic is her blackness? Does she shoplift, freebase, have 5 kids, qualify for SNAP/EBT/WIC etc.?

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2023 3:31 AM

R6 doesn't understand why he never gets invited to parties. He thinks he regales everyone with his fancy dancy corrections and KnowItAll observations. Calling a complete stranger a MAGA in a non political thread? sigh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2023 3:35 AM

R26 Bitch I am the life of the party. I call it like I see it. We do know there are Magas who post on DL so why not this tainted, not stating the full picture thread. Because if OP had an ounce of integrity he would have also reported the films monumental opening weekend here in the states. So take your self righteous ass and put it in a face who cares.

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2023 3:39 AM

R25 Freebase? Nigga child, did you fall into a coma in the early 80s and are just now waking up. Lmfao. What a cunt you are. white woman statistically abuse drugs at a higher percentage than black women. They also make up more welfare recipients as they should because there are more of them in the population.

by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2023 3:48 AM

R20, see R 18.

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2023 4:59 AM

[quote] Oh my, but aren't you the amusing fag?

Oh look lipstick alley is in the house. Climb down off your tire and calm the fuck down.

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2023 5:01 AM

Mainstream cinema started sucking precisely at the point when Hollywood started pandering to teenage boys in China, India, Russia, etc.

by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2023 5:02 AM

Are we sure it was racism that made TLM a flop in China, or was it the terrible Lin Manuel songs? That Awkwafina rap sounds like something the government would play on a loudspeaker to break apart a mob, or to torture political prisoners with.

by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2023 5:13 AM

Disney projections for weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2023 5:43 PM

[quote]Oh look lipstick alley is in the house. Climb down off your tire and calm the fuck down.

Never give in to racists. Sorry. You sound like an MTG fan club member. No difference.

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2023 5:45 PM

I saw clips of the film and the only thing I liked about it is so far is Bailey who’s is fantastic as Ariel, especially considering she was strapped to spinning motion capture rigs throughout. She definitely will be a star, in the U.S. at least. Someone at Disney should dub over Awkwafina’s terrible voice and cut out the Scuttlebutt song too.

by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2023 6:17 PM

The numbers are in and this is gearing up to be Disney’s biggest bomb ever.

by Anonymousreply 36May 29, 2023 2:20 PM

I think having your eyes on the sides of your head is most attractive.

by Anonymousreply 37May 29, 2023 2:35 PM

No one cares what the Chinese watch.

by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2023 3:14 PM

[quote]No one cares what the Chinese watch.

No one except people interested in making money.

What you fail to understand is that in the next 20-25 years, China's GDP will surpass the US. Part of building lasting and sustainable markets and market share is actually shaping demand which does not happen overnight. A great example is Kpop. That music and boyband/girlband is essentially a western export to Korea. But, they not only adopted, but mastered it and are now a dominant player in a multibillion dollar industry.

For decades the US has exported its culture and made money from the rest of the world to adopting it - from movies to Marlboros. If the US fails to win the Chinese market, it will cede the entertainment industry in the long-term which has huge financial significance to many, many industries beyond entertainment, given product placement and the demand influence it has.

by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2023 3:37 PM

No one cares what they watch. This is not a group of investors.

by Anonymousreply 40May 29, 2023 4:39 PM

The fact that "people interested in making money" now dominate the US culture industries (not just movies but music and books too) is why US arts and culture are so uniformly terrible right now.

by Anonymousreply 41May 29, 2023 4:45 PM

Not shocking. They don't care about PC crap over there.

by Anonymousreply 42May 29, 2023 4:46 PM

R42 agreed they would ban a documentary featuring you and your lover.

by Anonymousreply 43May 29, 2023 4:47 PM

I really wish racism was fatal.

by Anonymousreply 44May 29, 2023 5:23 PM

What I find very disturbing about Chinese racism is their refusal to both acknowledge it and fix it.

by Anonymousreply 45May 29, 2023 5:25 PM

R44 wants to kill black people.

by Anonymousreply 46May 29, 2023 5:26 PM

[quote]Not shocking. They don't care about PC crap over there.

PC? The original Disney Little Mermaid was even more PC compared to the original Hans Christian Anderson morality tale, in which Ariel dies an agonizing death after daring to transition into another species to abandon her family and live on the land. But times change, you know.

by Anonymousreply 47May 29, 2023 5:52 PM

[quote]They liked Coco

Why of course, everybody did, I was very, very good, and would have won the Tony if that awful "Applause" hadn't sneaked in under the wire!

by Anonymousreply 48May 29, 2023 6:33 PM

R47 Own these bigots. Let’s own these klan grannies.

by Anonymousreply 49May 29, 2023 7:38 PM

R47 Sounds like an allegory for Asian women who move to Western countries. They abandon their family, get eyelid surgery, marry a white man, and take his last name.

by Anonymousreply 50May 29, 2023 8:38 PM

MovieWeb MovieWeb The Little Mermaid Review Bombing Leads IMDb to Issue Warning For Fans to Make Their Own Mind Up Story by Anthony Lund • 11h ago

The Little Mermaid Review Bombing Leads IMDb to Issue Warning For Fans to Make Their Own Mind Up The Little Mermaid Review Bombing Leads IMDb to Issue Warning For Fans to Make Their Own Mind Up © Provided by MovieWeb The problem of review bombing on sites such as Rotten Tomatoes and IMBd is not a new problem. From people taking issues with LGBTQ+ inclusion, race-swapping of characters or even the departure of a star due to creative differences a la The Witcher, there are many reasons that people slam various movies and TV shows other than the production actually being bad. Now, The Little Mermaid has seen many foreign sites calling out “unusual distribution” of reviews and warned audiences to make their own mind up about what to read into them.

The Little Mermaid suffered a fair amount of backlash for its casting of Halle Bailey in the title role, but as trailers and clips from the movie started to appear online, it became clear that her portrayal of the character was more that justification of her casting. It seems, though, that there are still plenty of people who have issues with the movie that extend beyond a critique of the film itself. In response to these reviews, sites have taken the move to counter these with warnings to those using their site to gauge whether to see the film or not.

The rare move has been seen on IMBd around the world, where a statement reads:

“Our rating mechanism has detected unusual voting activity on this title. To preserve the reliability of our rating system, an alternate weighting calculation has been applied. Although we accept and consider all votes received by users, not all votes have the same impact (or ‘weight’) on the final rating. When unusual voting activity is detected, an alternate weighting calculation may be applied in order to preserve the reliability of our system.”

Related video: The Little Mermaid | Tv Spot: Unfortunate (Dailymotion)

AlloCiné, a French site, put out a similar and even more direct note, despite some of their more reputable critics also slamming the movie with 1 star ratings. Their site read:

“We are currently observing an unusual distribution of scores which demands the need for caution. We encourage you to make up your own mind about the film.”

Related: Fast X Box Office Hits The Brakes as The Little Mermaid Dominates The Weekend

The Little Mermaid’s Box Office Has Overcome Mixed Critic Reviews. Despite critics being split over Disney’s live-action take on The Little Mermaid, audiences have made the film one of the biggest movies of the year after just three days on release. The film has also gained much higher ratings from the majority of audience reviews, at least in the first wave. Having hit around 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, The Little Mermaid has continued to hold that rating while critic reviews slipped to around 67%, making the movie another example of critics and audiences not being on the same page about what makes good cinema.

Heading into a school break period, it is likely that The Little Mermaid will continue to dominate the box office in the coming week and that could see the film very quickly charge up the chart to fight it out with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and Fast X to be the second highest grossing movie of 2023.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 29, 2023 8:53 PM

These live action Disney movies all tank. I don’t know why they keep making them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 29, 2023 8:58 PM

[quote]The Little Mermaid suffered a fair amount of backlash for its casting of Halle Bailey in the title role

Frankly, I was appalled also. I mean, look at her. That's not the way she should look.

The bottom half is clearly not the correct. Scales? She's supposed to be a MERMAID, so obviously the bottom half should reflect mamalian origins - dolphin, whale, orca. What dolphin has scales.

Stunt casting at its worst.

by Anonymousreply 53May 29, 2023 9:00 PM

They’re butchered the song lyrics because they weren’t woke enough and now Ariel is the one who saves the day. It’s just dreck. Disney sucks when it comes to social engineering and needs to stop.

by Anonymousreply 54May 29, 2023 9:09 PM

[quote]Frankly, I was appalled also. I mean, look at her. That's not the way she should look. The bottom half is clearly not the correct. Scales? She's supposed to be a MERMAID, so obviously the bottom half should reflect mamalian origins - dolphin, whale, orca. What dolphin has scales.

At least her top part has some melanin this time; she lives in the Atlantic ocean for god’s sake. Redhead Ariel must have been eaten alive by multiple melanomas by the time she reached 30.

by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2023 9:37 PM

R52

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 29, 2023 9:46 PM

Another silly anti-Disney propaganda slam from the indefatigable OP! Rhonda must be creaming all over his white go-go boots.

The Little Mermaid is fine. Maybe it won't be a monster hit but it will do well enough. These "Disney sky is falling" are so much dreck.

If you oppose Disney's open stance against homophobia, just come right out and say so, dear. You're certainly not hiding it well.

by Anonymousreply 57May 29, 2023 9:55 PM

Bow down to Black Excellence. Klan Grannies join the right side of history. You only have a few years left.

by Anonymousreply 58May 29, 2023 10:03 PM

What’s the right side of history? A Disney movie?

by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2023 12:39 AM

R59 Own it trick. Own your ignorance if you do not get what sim saying. Own the mockery and ridicule that your kind will receive.

by Anonymousreply 60May 30, 2023 12:44 AM

My kind? lol. You’re like a parody. Are you just trolling?

by Anonymousreply 61May 30, 2023 12:46 AM

R61 OWN. IT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 30, 2023 1:13 AM

R14 Best answer ever !

by Anonymousreply 63May 30, 2023 3:48 AM

OP is an idiot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 30, 2023 11:48 PM

Why's Halle Berry doing a dumb Disney movie like this?

by Anonymousreply 65May 31, 2023 1:43 AM

I think needed a more diverse cast. Melissa McCarthy? White Eric? There's middle Eastern, Asian, Indian, Latino, Pacific Islander, etc. If you're going to go diverse, go big. You shouldn't think there's any majority race in a diverse film.

by Anonymousreply 66June 1, 2023 1:58 AM

Well, she’s officially DOA. Flush her down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 67June 1, 2023 2:03 AM

I’m not going to shit on this movie R64, because I haven’t seen it, but $117 is not great.

Man of Steel opened to about the same … in 2013.

The budget for this movie was apparently in the $250M range, meaning it will have to make at least $600-$700 to break even.

It still may so it isn’t a bomb by any means. It is far from the blockbuster Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin was though.I don’t really think it is Bailey per se. Marvel movies are performing sub par too.

I think people are just looking for original, and cheaper, forms of entertainment

Or, we could just go with Occum’s Razor and blame it on the “scuttle but” song.

by Anonymousreply 68June 1, 2023 2:16 AM

Racist Chinese

by Anonymousreply 69June 1, 2023 2:38 AM

[quote]I think needed a more diverse cast. Melissa McCarthy?

She's the biggest name in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 70June 1, 2023 2:42 AM

[quote]Racist Chinese

How ironic to read that on DL.

by Anonymousreply 71June 1, 2023 2:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!