Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bette Midler

She's totally forgotten now but wow what a talent in her day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 31, 2023 11:27 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2023 9:05 AM

Oh yeah, that chick who used to play the baths with Barry Manilow back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2023 9:21 AM

Wasn't she in a couple of movies?

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2023 9:26 AM

Didn't she play Rachel's trashy cousin on a couple episodes of Friends?

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2023 9:58 AM

I think she adopted part of the freeway I used to drive all the time.

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2023 10:00 AM

Is that a polite way to say she lives in a tent in the bushes behind the rest stop tearoom?

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2023 10:02 AM

LIES! You just hush, R6, I would never repeat that vile rumor.

I heard it was in a copse of trees off to one side more than in those bushes around the back.

by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2023 10:11 AM

I'm sure OP chose a horrible song to showcase her talent on purpose as well. Those lower register gymnastics are interminable and she sounds obnoxious just in general.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2023 10:18 AM

She's been totally forgotten by those, like OP, with dementia - people who've forgotten poor Bette's name along with their own, their friends' names, what they had for breakfast, where their keys are...

And so on.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2023 10:32 AM

Love that song OP.

by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2023 10:45 AM

If we're gonna go down the obscure Bette tracks path, here she is with The Manhattan Transfer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2023 10:53 AM

R11 she's off key in many of those lines. Yikes!!!

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2023 11:43 AM

I know she's a big gay ally, and that's appreciated, but I still never understood how she was so popular for so long.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2023 12:08 PM

Big personality. Amusing in movies. Women liked her too, not just gays.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2023 12:20 PM

My soft-Trump parents were in New York, and I took them to see Hello Dolly. I could barely stand to be in the same rook with them, but that was almost three hours of bliss we shared. It made for a great day.

Midler said that she wanted the show to help relieve people from the tough times we were going through. I was never a big fan of Midler or the show. But I will always be grateful to her for making that day possible.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2023 12:28 PM

I first became aware of her from her Divine Madness concert film. Then I discovered her earlier Live at Last album. I thought she was hilarious and heartbreaking. Her voice isn't technically perfect but I'd much rather listen to her than, say, Streisand or Dion – I admire their technical prowess but Bette makes me feel something.

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2023 12:30 PM

FnF.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2023 12:31 PM

Shesh one of my bessht freinsh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2023 12:33 PM

Yes, Bette sure does love the gays. What would we do without her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2023 12:48 PM

My favorite of hers.

Deleted from Divine Madness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2023 1:27 PM

r15: "My soft-Trump parents were in New York, and I took them to see Hello Dolly. I could barely stand to be in the same rook with them"

We could barely stand to be there with you. Especially since you "let us" pay for the tickets, dinner afterwards, and then your uber back to your apartment. Also, it's "room" - not "rook".

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2023 1:33 PM

In my experience, most of the people who like Trump do so because they are quite naive (regardless of age) and deluded about him. They actually think he's a good guy who cares about them while also being "a little rough around the edges." I can't understand that level of self-deception, but it doesn't make them evil.

Now, if R15's parents explicitly like Trump because "he'll put those Blacks and Beaners in their place," that's something else again.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2023 1:48 PM

She was funny and an underdog for quite a long time...then she became a monster.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2023 1:52 PM

Yikes, r21, this is a little personal since my dad has since passed away and my mom now has dementia. I actually spent a small fortune on the tickets, and was pretty proud of that. Sorry that my typo so offended you.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2023 4:01 PM

She's a fat hypocrite

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2023 4:04 PM

I saw her in the Continental Baths half a century ago when I could wear a towel. I saw her 40-something years ago in a tux (Carnegie Hall?) on New Year's Eve. I have been to Swingos Celebrity Motor Lodge in Cleveland. We had seats in the "Smug Mutha" section in Vegas. God we're old now, but she and I were both young then. Maybe as a consequence, I've loved her ever since my far off youth.

Bruce Vilanch writes a lot of her stuff. She's coming from a good place onstage, anyway. And her response to Geraldo Rivera's claim of romance was a classic: "He stuffs a bottle of poppers up my nose, bends me over a toilet, and calls that a romance?"

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2023 4:38 PM

I recently watched Ruthless People. So funny! Still holds up.

by Anonymousreply 27May 31, 2023 8:52 PM

"When you can't afford Streisand, you hire the more economical Bette Midler."

by Anonymousreply 28May 31, 2023 9:08 PM

r28, if you want a concert, get Streisand. If you want a show, hire Bette Midler.

by Anonymousreply 29May 31, 2023 9:41 PM

I absolutely loved her Touchstone Pictures days in the late '80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 31, 2023 10:46 PM

She is NOT forgotten! Sistahs!

by Anonymousreply 31May 31, 2023 11:07 PM

Ruthless People is still hilarious. It was the one time in her career that Bette Midler stopped trying to be likable and just let her inner raging bitch fly.

by Anonymousreply 32May 31, 2023 11:16 PM

R13 Maybe you had to see her live? She was fabulous, trashy, and fun. A kick in the ass. Loved her then, love her now.

by Anonymousreply 33May 31, 2023 11:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!