Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brandi Carlile Does Diana, Covers The Wiz’s “Home”

For the soundtrack of “Ted Lasso.” What say you denizens of DL - does she capture the same stirring, wistful quality as La Ross, or is this a miss?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2023 1:18 PM

Stephanie Mills sang it best.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2023 1:40 AM

Home does not belong to Ms. Ross, but rather Stephanie Mills who originated the role/song. I expect better on a gay site, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2023 1:44 AM

R2 Technically true, but I’d say the vast majority know it as a Ross signature.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2023 2:46 AM

Brandi Carlile is so strange looking.

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2023 2:55 AM

That song belongs to Stephanie Mills. No one ever associates it with Diana Ross.

by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2023 2:57 AM

This singer seems to have zero connection to the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2023 6:11 AM

Brandi sounds alright. LaRoss is resting easy.

Ross' version is just as potent as Mills' version. They are sufficiently different and moving. Louise Dearman took her inspiration from Ross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2023 10:41 AM

R5 Spotify says otherwise. Mills is great but La Ross leads in streams by millions.

by Anonymousreply 8May 28, 2023 2:09 PM

I do not like Brandi

by Anonymousreply 9May 28, 2023 2:13 PM

Technically proficient, but I don’t *feel* anything when she sings the words (unlike Mills or Ross).

by Anonymousreply 10May 28, 2023 2:32 PM

I love Barbra’s version off Release Me. She sings the shit out of it.

by Anonymousreply 11May 28, 2023 2:35 PM

Brandi had a fling with a lesbian friend of mine, and let’s just say she’s dynamite in the sack and knows how to leave an impression.

by Anonymousreply 12May 28, 2023 2:57 PM

I only know a few of her songs from about 10 years ago. This sounds like a well executed but well-trodden style that doesn’t showcase her more unique sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 28, 2023 3:44 PM

Ross, always La Ross for "Home"

by Anonymousreply 14May 28, 2023 5:37 PM

Fuck her r14

by Anonymousreply 15May 28, 2023 5:38 PM

I love it, as I love everything Brandi does. I have not sentimental attachment to Ross' or Mills' version, I've only heard each of them a handful of times.

by Anonymousreply 16May 28, 2023 5:41 PM

There's "Home" and then there's..."Home".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 28, 2023 5:44 PM

3 yeah but that doesn’t negate the fact that it was written for the Broadway play which came out years before the Hollywood film. I do know most black people associate Home with Stephanie Mills.

by Anonymousreply 18May 28, 2023 6:09 PM

R8 Oh really. Ok you may be right then but most black people associate and much prefer the Mills’ version.

by Anonymousreply 19May 28, 2023 6:10 PM

[quote] I love Barbra’s version off Release Me. She sings the shit out of it.

She really doesnt. I now know why she didn't include it on "The Broadway Album."

by Anonymousreply 20May 28, 2023 7:35 PM

[quote] [R8] Oh really. Ok you may be right then but most black people associate and much prefer the Mills’ version.

How would you know whom "most Black people" associate with the song?! The movie is more ubiquitous than the stage show. It was always on TV. For many of us, Ross was the first version we ever heard. Stephanie Mills' pop hit version is nearly 40 years old, her run in the show was 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 21May 28, 2023 7:41 PM

Whitney Houston launched her career with that song on the Merv Griffin show. She built it up brilliantly... soft start, then blows the roof off the joint!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 28, 2023 8:19 PM

R21 Because I am black and grew up around black people. And I remember Mills version being on adult R&b stations exclusively. I was born late 80s btw.

by Anonymousreply 23May 28, 2023 9:09 PM

It's OK. I like Brandi, but this is not the style of music best suited to her voice.

by Anonymousreply 24May 28, 2023 9:16 PM

It’s overly produced. I love BC’s voice and wanted this version to be more authentic. Acoustic instruments, more emotion and rawness. I’d like to hear her sing it live. Nix all the computer/studio clean up.

by Anonymousreply 25May 28, 2023 9:21 PM

I mostly like it. But the gold standard is not by Diana Ross. It's by Stephanie Mills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 28, 2023 9:28 PM

I too associate this song with Legend Ross.

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2023 9:57 PM

All one has to do is glance at the comments under the Brandi video on YouTube to see that every single person associates this song with Diana Ross, rightly or wrongly. Stephanie isn’t mentioned once.

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2023 2:44 AM

Diana Ross sings the sh*t out of this song! Quincy Jones insisted on one of the most nuanced yet strident vocals of her recording career. Her version is at least equal to Stephanie's and Stephanie would tell you so.

by Anonymousreply 29May 29, 2023 2:55 AM

Here is Diana Ross singing Home live. It's fantastic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 29, 2023 3:38 AM

I think it’s terrific. My favorite is Whitney’s on Merv. It’s perfect.

by Anonymousreply 31May 29, 2023 3:47 AM

Brandi doesn’t put any feeling into it.

by Anonymousreply 32May 29, 2023 3:54 AM

[quote] [R2] Technically true, but I’d say the vast majority know it as a Ross signature.

NO.

by Anonymousreply 33May 29, 2023 4:04 AM

No one thinks of this song as Diana Ross’ signature song. This song is associated with Stephanie Mills the same way that “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going” is to Jennifer Holliday.

Stephanie made it a number one hit on the charts, not Ross. Case closed!

by Anonymousreply 34May 29, 2023 4:11 AM

Many people were not familiar with The Whiz or its music until it aired on television which is exactly when I first heard the song “Home”, sung by Diana Ross.

As mentioned before, I’d like to hear BC sing “Home” with a different arrangement. The recorded arrangement was lackluster and brought nothing new to the song. It reminded me of an arrangement that would be performed by a Miss America contestant.

by Anonymousreply 35May 29, 2023 4:29 AM

Diana Ross as Dorothy in The Wiz was a laughable joke. She looked way way too old and looked ugly.

by Anonymousreply 36May 29, 2023 10:53 AM

Brandi Carlile's version is very pretty.What a voice she has. A great cover. It's such a beautiful song and I love to hear different interpretations. What does it matter whose version is the 'signature' one? Mills was the signature version from the play and Diana's was the signature version from the film, which was undoubtedly heard by many, many more people.

As a die hard Diana Ross fan - I've seen her live 50+ times - I have to say that Diana's performance seems forced, and she was not styled very well. The hair was awful. The movie would have been much more believable if another actress had been cast. Stephanie Mills is who is 13 years younger than Ross, would have been a great choice and evoke more youth for the character, and simply an artistically better choice. But, she wasn't as safe a bet as Diana Ross. Mills was certainly popular, but not on the scale of Ross, who was a global superstar at the time. The producers are looking for profit, which comes from popularity. Sometimes casting hits a homerun and the actor is not only perfect for the role, but has the heft to engage masses of ticket buyers. Casting Mills probably would not have made this move the blockbuster they were looking for. So we ended up with a lackluster film that missed mark. All that being said, regardless of Diana's performance in the film, the clip of her live performance of "Home" that I posted is proof of what an incredible singer Diana Ross is.

by Anonymousreply 37May 29, 2023 3:50 PM

R34 - 100% agree. 👏🏼

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2023 1:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!