Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dietrich & Arthur steal Billy Wilder's Adult "A Foreign Affair"

Billy Wilder's sharp comedy-drama "A Foreign Affair" was mostly filmed in post-WWII Berlin. Against the bleak backdrop is a romantic triangle between John Lund's corrupt Capt. Pringle, Marlene Dietrich's shady chanteuse Erika, & Jean Arthur's conscientious congresswoman. Wilder scores pointed social barbs amidst the sexy comedy. The ladies steal the show, with Marlene as the sexy singer, and Jean as the comedic stickler. My look at this "Affair" here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 6, 2023 1:28 PM

Jean Arthur stole the show for me in this one.

Billy Wilder was a master

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2023 9:07 PM

Since it's going to be a barrage of war movies on the tube through the holiday weekend, why not watch a smart, romantic one? Here's an excellent copy of Billy Wilder's "A Foreign Affair."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2023 9:07 PM

Thanks for this Rick! I’ve needed something to watch.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2023 9:10 PM

Rick, why not post what you think of this movie right here? Are you advertising your blog or something?

Very odd.

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2023 9:13 PM

Wilder had a famous quote about his two leading ladies:

“One of them couldn’t look in a mirror. The other couldn’t look away.”

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2023 9:19 PM

R4, leave Rick alone!!

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2023 9:20 PM

I watched this film several months ago. It's better than I expected, but the leading man is a major problem and the ending isn't remotely convincing. The first half though is solid.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2023 9:24 PM

I'm perfectly happy to 'leave Rick alone' I simply asked him a question.

I find posting a movie review advertisement for the article contained in your blog to be quite odd behavior for the Datalounge. I've only been here for more than 20 years, perhaps you know better.

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2023 9:26 PM

How can the leading ladies "steal" a film, silly?

Such a lowbrow you are. A performance isn't good unless someone is getting away with something? Lord.

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2023 9:26 PM

I love this movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2023 9:27 PM

I think Arthur and Dietrich are both equally great in this, one of Billy Wilder's best. And even though everyone seemed to dislike the leading man, well at least Wilder and Dietrich, I think he works seamlessly and it helps that he's not a distraction from the women who are the ones that matter most in the show. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2023 9:33 PM

According to her daughter Maria’s book, Dietrich hated, hated, HATED Jean Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2023 9:37 PM

Dietrich hated American frauen.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2023 9:41 PM

Dietrich didn't really *do* female co-stars. She was probably fine with Miss Wong and Little Miss Wyman though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2023 9:46 PM

Marlene Dietrich said Jean Arthur was an “ugly plucked chicken.”

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2023 9:47 PM

Yeah, Marlene, like Mercedes was such a hot dish...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2023 9:51 PM

I believe at the time the film was made, Jean Arthur was a far bigger name than MD, as hard as it probably is to believe now. Or a far more "beloved star" than Dietrich at that time, who American audiences never really warmed to after her initial Sternberg films. She was simply too exotic for US tastes until her late career comeback concerts in Las Vegas and on Broadway changed that impression for more sophisticated audiences of the 1960s.

However, the film did revive interest in Marlene, who forevermore simple parodied herself, whereas it was mostly all downhill for Jean after this and her disastrous experience with BORN YESTERDAY on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2023 10:05 PM

Who do you think was sought for John Lund's role before they settled on John Lund? Surely, he was never the first, second, third (or you call it) choice.

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2023 10:07 PM

Destry solved her Box Office Poison title, r17. She had quite a few great appearances after her Sternberg days. Witness For the Prosecution, Touch of Evil, Nuremburg...

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2023 10:16 PM

^And no way was Arthur "bigger" then Dietrich at the time.

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2023 10:17 PM

But those 3 films were all after A FOREIGN AFFAIR revived her career, r19. What were her hits between DESTRY and that one? And then, of course, for much of WWII she was not acting.

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2023 10:18 PM

And r20, how do you explain her billing over Dietrich in all the ads, trailers and posters of the time?

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2023 10:20 PM

Something called alphabetical order, r22? This was starting to be late film career for both of them. Anyway...there's also Rancho Notorious...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2023 10:27 PM

I like John Lund, I think he was funny - I thought he was perfect in the part. When Cameron Crowe interviewed Wilder, he said he thought Lund was really good. Wilder said something like "He was good. But he wasn't good." Wilder said he wanted Cary Grant. He often wanted to cast Grant, but Grant never once agreed to be in a Wilder film.

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2023 10:42 PM

Jean Arthur played the lead in the film, the whole film revolved around her character - in a plot somewhat similar to "Ninotchka" (which also had been co-written by Wilder). It would have been stupid for Dietrich to have top billing. As stars, they were about equal, I'd say.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2023 10:45 PM

Oh, that's right, r25, I'd forgotten that. *That's* why Marlene had a beef with Jean.

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2023 10:58 PM

Jean thought Billy was favoring Dietrich with closeups. She was a very insecure actress. Years later she wrote him (after watching it on TV) saying she loved the movie.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2023 11:03 PM

[quote]She was a very insecure actress

Yes, she was. If she'd hung on with Born Yesterday, she'd most likely have gotten the film. I don't know how she'd have been as Billie, though. Judy was able to do a blank slate whereas Jean always seemed a bit knowing.

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2023 11:09 PM

I think Dietrich’s two finest acting performances came later—Witness for the Prosecution (her work has aged better than every other nominee that year with the exception of Kerr) and Judgment at Nuremberg (supporting). No camp, no self-parody—just real women.

by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2023 11:15 PM

Didn't she say that she understood that woman, r29?

by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2023 11:18 PM

R12, r13, r14 Dietrich didn’t like ANY women. According to Hitchcock, she made snide comments about Wyman when they were making Stage Fright.

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2023 12:01 AM

[quote]Dietrich didn’t like ANY women

r31 see r16

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2023 12:07 AM

IIRC in her daughter's wonderful bio of Dietrich, there are stories of her mother's camaraderie with fellow Paramount stars Carole Lombard, Claudette Colbert and even Mae West.

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2023 12:58 AM

Here's a radio version of "A Foreign Affair" with Lund, Dietrich, and Roz Russell in the Jean Arthur role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2023 1:02 AM

After Destry Rides Again, Dietrich did a string of more commercial films, than with Sternberg. And Marlene generated lots of good will and publicity for her touring "for the boys." I'd say she and Arthur were on equal footing career-wise when "A Foreign Affair" was filmed...

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2023 1:05 AM

I’ll give it a shot.

I typically save B&W movies for Sundays - they bring back memories of “Family Classics with Frazier Thomas”.

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2023 1:09 AM

(Reply 36) For me, Sundays was for Detroit TV 50's "Bill Kennedy at the Movies." And "A Foreign Affair" is a smart, grown up movie for it's era, enjoy...

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2023 1:42 AM

R36. Ooh, I used to live the theme music for Family Classics, and waited with anticipation for the announcement of the next week’s selection. I also had a Garfield Goose hand puppet and my best friend went to Beloit with Thomas’ daughter.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2023 1:54 AM

[quote]Witness for the Prosecution (her work has aged better than every other nominee that year with the exception of Kerr)

R29 I agree with you those were two great performances, though I'd rank her work in A Foreign Affair up there alongside those two.

By the way, Dietrich wasn't nominated so this probably should read "every nominee that year" rather than "every other nominee".

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2023 10:03 AM

Didn't know that Jean Arthur, who rarely acted in her later years, appeared in a sitcom in 1966! "The Jean Arthur Show" is pretty bad, but Jean is game and looks like a million at age 66. Check it out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2023 11:47 AM

Jean Arthur was eager to play Ada Quonsett in Airport (1970), but was passed over for Helen Hayes (both born in 1900).

by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2023 12:38 PM

Jean did a test drive for TV with an appearance on "Gunsmoke" in 1965. She & Miss Kitty play old friends! Here's a clip. Again, Jean looks great at 65, when you think of how some of her contemporaries were looking in the 1960s!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 27, 2023 1:52 PM

Jean Arthur more or less retired from public life in the 1970s and taught for awhile at Vassar College. Meryl Streep was one of her students.

by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2023 2:14 PM

No one was a more delicious leading lady of screwball films than Jean Arthur in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Check her out with the even more delicious Joel McCrea in the wartime comedy THE MORE THE MERRIER. No wonder Marlene was so jealous of her.

by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2023 2:16 PM

I think John Lund was very underrated. And he's great in the film. My only quibble with the movie is poor Jean Arthur's looks. In the beginning, she's supposed to look dowdy with her hair in a bun. But her tranformation with the braid didn't change her look much at all. She still looked pretty bad. They could have made her look really beautiful. Ah well...

by Anonymousreply 45May 27, 2023 3:27 PM

Just watched Witness of the Prosecution yesterday after reading this thread. Every single actor in this movie is awesome but Dietrich is off the chart. And Laughton.

by Anonymousreply 46May 27, 2023 3:36 PM

You can see why they couldn't nominate her, r46.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 27, 2023 4:19 PM

R46. And while I know she didn’t get nominated for it, she SHOULD have!

by Anonymousreply 48May 27, 2023 4:27 PM

Marlene was magical onstage.

by Anonymousreply 49May 27, 2023 4:32 PM

Jean Arthur’s voice drives me up the wall. She’s probably an okay actress, but her voice is irritating as hell.

Love, love, love La Dietrich. I wish I had been around when she was touring. I agree she should have at least been nominated for Witness of the Prosecution, but my favorite late period role of hers is her glorified cameo in Touch of Evil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2023 4:37 PM

Dietrich didn’t like a lot of her fellow actresses, but to say she didn’t like other women seems silly. Beyond her snatch diving, I mean, she had many female friends. I recall her praising Dolores Del Rio to the skies. And of course her iconic friendship with Edith Piaf. However, I’m not sure Marlene was ever a vulnerable enough person to have more than a small amount of people she was truly close to and I’m not sure anyone EVER saw the real Dietrich, including her daughter. I remember reading she considered Noël Coward to be her closest high profile friend.

by Anonymousreply 51May 27, 2023 4:41 PM

Jean & Joel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 27, 2023 4:44 PM

Tallulah and Marlene (this from Tallulah's late-'40s radio show, The Big Show). Banter and song, Anything You Can You...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 27, 2023 5:12 PM

*Anything You Can Do

by Anonymousreply 54May 27, 2023 5:13 PM

R2, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 55May 27, 2023 5:42 PM

R50, Dietrich really steals all the scenes she's in, in that movie. A classic with perfect casting.

by Anonymousreply 56May 27, 2023 5:42 PM

Marlene & Rosie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 27, 2023 6:02 PM

I hadn't seen "Witness for the Prosecution" for decades when I rewatched to review. I found it highly entertaining and top-notch in all ways except one: Tyrone Power, who I think is often underrated, looked older than his years to be playing a charming young cad. But I was amazed by Charles Laughton and Marlene Dietrich in their stellar performances. Here's my take...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 27, 2023 7:37 PM

Excuse me, r58, ex-c-u-u-u-s-e me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 27, 2023 7:41 PM

Yes, Power is a problem in WITNESS, more for his overacting than his age.

Dietrich's role really is supporting as she's missing from much of the middle of the film. So I'm not really surprised she didn't get a Best Actress nomination, even though she really thought she would.

Her performance in The Blue Angel is every bit as good as anything else she did.

by Anonymousreply 60May 27, 2023 8:51 PM

Norma Varden shout out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 27, 2023 9:09 PM

I loved Norma Varden in this, too! And Ty's trying to act boyish and charming when he looks baggy and jowly, far older than his 43 years, adds to his artificiality.

by Anonymousreply 62May 27, 2023 9:59 PM

Oh R52, thank you for that clip from The More the Merrier. J'adore Joel McCrea, just adore him.

And that scene... so few edits! Like so many movies from the Hollywood's "golden age," the actors a) know their lines, b) know their blocking and c) the director let's them put it all together. Marvelous. It's just such a wonderful slow burn.

I really wonder if there are any film actors who could re-create that kind of scene and I wonder if there are directors who would be brave enough to just sit back and let the actors do their job...

by Anonymousreply 63May 27, 2023 10:48 PM

Excuse me, r63, ex-c-u-u-u-s-e me...

by Anonymousreply 64May 27, 2023 10:50 PM

Bea Arthur worked with Dietrich?

by Anonymousreply 65May 27, 2023 11:01 PM

Shoppin' for a schmatta...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 28, 2023 1:14 AM

Witness is one of the only films where I like Power. I never found him a particularly convincing actor, and so his inauthentic quality works for the film. Keeps the focus on Dietrich and Laughton. And for those on here who think John Lund is weak, would you rather have Tyrone Power? Power isn't funny. Lund gets his laughs.

by Anonymousreply 67May 28, 2023 12:02 PM

The film is great to see bombed-out Berlin but I find Jean Arthur as dull as dog water.

by Anonymousreply 68May 28, 2023 12:16 PM

Power seems to be overacting a bit in his big scenes but it's really Leonard Vole overacting. By the way, check out (if you can find it) Power in Abandon Ship. He's great in it. Aka, Seven Waves Away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 28, 2023 4:01 PM

It's "dishwater", r68. Dog water is just...water.

by Anonymousreply 70May 28, 2023 4:02 PM

Couple of observations:

Off topic: Tyrone Power’s looks really fell off a cliff - I first saw him in “Witness for the Prosecution” and couldn’t understand what the fuss was about

On topic: one of the greatest things about “A Foreign Affair”!is Wilder’s unflinching gaze at bombed-out Berlin - often while “Isn’t It Romantic” plays as an underscore— a great comeuppance against the Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 71May 28, 2023 4:11 PM

black market

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 28, 2023 4:15 PM

There’s only one dame named “Arthur” around here, pal. And her named ain’t Jean. Got it?

by Anonymousreply 73May 28, 2023 4:22 PM

True 67, Powers is good in"Witness" although many think he was miscast (too old, bloated etc.). He is believable as a slime ball and murderer.

by Anonymousreply 74May 28, 2023 4:24 PM

True R67, Powers is good in"Witness" although many think he was miscast (too old, bloated etc.). He is believable as a slime ball and murderer.

by Anonymousreply 75May 28, 2023 4:24 PM

Love Tyrone of the latter '40s in "Razor's Edge" and "Nightmare Alley." What a shocker how he looked just a decade later in his early '40s in "Witness for the Prosecution" and "The Sun Also Rises." A decade earlier Ty would have rocked those roles...

by Anonymousreply 76May 28, 2023 5:45 PM

My impression of Tyrone Power is he fought his exceedingly handsome good looks in his youth by living hard and hoping he'd develop more lines and crags. Well, that worked out very well for him.

by Anonymousreply 77May 28, 2023 5:56 PM

He was dead soon after the movie was released. So was Laughton who was only 57 when Witness was made but looks like shit ( as he should on the movie).

by Anonymousreply 78May 28, 2023 6:01 PM

Jean Arthur had a face lift before her TV series. She also probably had at least one earlier that that, because she was still playing very young women well into her 30s and 40s. And her jawline was always flawless.

by Anonymousreply 79May 29, 2023 3:53 AM

All those ladies had true old-fashioned full facelifts back then that were so much more effective than the plastic surgery you see now.

by Anonymousreply 80May 29, 2023 12:45 PM

This is a weak take, ricksrealreel. Dietrich and Arthur were stars of this so they "stole" nothing from anyone. From John Lund? Who cares. He was never going to be a match.

by Anonymousreply 81May 29, 2023 1:13 PM

I've never read where Jean Arthur had facelifts. As I wrote in my review, I'm sure used the same methods other aging divas did-- skin tapes, contoured makeup, wigs, and flattering lighting. The last photo that I posted in my review showed Jean looking her age at 75, but still attractive.

by Anonymousreply 82May 29, 2023 3:06 PM

R82 Well, I read somewhere that a friend or colleage said she had a facelift before her TV show. Can't prove it as I don't know where I read it. I'm very interested in classic Hollywood stars and their looks. I also remember reading that Bette Davis once called up Henry Fonda because he had had his eyes done and she was thinking of doing it. But don't ask me where I read it.

This is something about Jean I just read so I remember where I read it: IMDB Trivia:

[quote]Howard Hawks and Jean Arthur did not get along during filming. Arthur was not used to Hawks' highly improvisational style, and when Hawks wanted Arthur to play Bonnie much in a subtly sexy way (not unlike his other "Hawksian women"), Arthur flatly said, "I can't do that kind of stuff." Hawks told Arthur at the end of the shoot, "You are one of the few people I've worked with that I don't think I've helped at all. Someday you can go see what I wanted to do because I'm gonna do this character all over again." Years later Hawks returned home to find Arthur waiting for him in his driveway. She had just seen his To Have and Have Not (1944) and confessed, "I wish I'd done what you'd asked me to do. If you ever make another picture with me, I'll promise to do any goddamn thing you want to do. If a kid [Lauren Bacall] can come in and do that kind of stuff, I certainly could do it." Hawks and Arthur never collaborated again.

by Anonymousreply 83May 29, 2023 3:36 PM

What was the film Hawks did with Jean, r83?

by Anonymousreply 84May 29, 2023 5:53 PM

R84 Only Angels Have Wings.

by Anonymousreply 85May 29, 2023 6:04 PM

Like most of the female stars of the 30s and 40s, Jean Arthur had a very particular and unique schtick and stuck with it. To great success.

by Anonymousreply 86May 29, 2023 6:08 PM

R86 Well she didn't always play it the same. She was the tough reporter in Mr. Deeds Goes To Town, The soft, sweet Penny in You Can't Take It With You, cynical Miss Saunders in Mr. Smith Goes To Washinton. The vulnerable, neurotic chick in The More The Merrier. An anal, frigid congressowoman in A Foreign Affair, the rancher's wife in Shane...

by Anonymousreply 87May 29, 2023 6:21 PM

Jean Arthur has been rumored to have been a lesbian in a long term relationship with a woman who lived with her until the end of her life.

by Anonymousreply 88May 29, 2023 7:51 PM

They didn’t “steal” the movie, they were its stars!

by Anonymousreply 89August 2, 2023 8:55 PM

R89, Arthur had an affair with David O. Selznick in the 1930’s and they seriously considered marriage but Selznick chose a hierarchical match with Irene Mayer.

by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2023 11:24 PM

I wondered why Jean was considered for Scarlett O' Hara!

by Anonymousreply 91August 6, 2023 1:00 AM

Marlene adored Mae West, their dressing rooms at Paramount were next to each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92August 6, 2023 1:03 AM

[quote] They could have made her look really beautiful.

We're not miracle workers!

by Anonymousreply 93August 6, 2023 3:36 AM

How tall was Marlene, r92? Is Mae wearing her Mae West shoes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 6, 2023 3:46 AM

One of my friends worked in summer theater as a young guy. When Marlene played the theater-in-the-round where he worked, it was his job to pick up and carry down to her the dozen roses a “fan” had thrown and that had landed in the aisle near the front. He said Marlene bought the roses and it was another kid’s job to toss them every night.

by Anonymousreply 95August 6, 2023 1:25 PM

PS Of course she would always do a silent flirting bit with him when he handed her the roses.

by Anonymousreply 96August 6, 2023 1:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!