Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Thoughts & Prayers: Zoomers like to name their kids after "designer- brand influencers"

A TikToker is getting mixed reviews about her baby’s luxurious name, which was inspired by a designer brand.

The new mom, who goes by @thismisty online, shared her son’s moniker, Kartiyr, purportedly inspired by the brand Cartier, in a viral TikTok video.

Misty, 18, boasts 866,000 followers on the platform, regularly sharing footage of her and her son.

Celebrating nine months since his birth, Misty shared footage of her son online in a clip captioned, “My baby grownnnn’ upppp.”

The video, which scored 1 million views, garnered raucous feedback in the comments.

While some people praised the unique name, others cringed.

“Love him he’s so cute but the name is just crazy,” one user criticized. “Y’all forget we name adults too.”

“Oh lord this new generation and naming,” another chimed in.

“They b naming kids after items they wish for,” quipped someone else.

“You don’t love him naming him that,” one viewer wrote.

“I don’t get what is wrong with his name. I really think it’s unique and cute!” applauded one person.

“Yall hating on a baby is outrageous,” another defended the new mom. “I like his name.”

But Misty isn’t the only parent inspired by gilded luxury.

A study by the UK-based website JewelleryBox revealed just how popular designer-influencer names were among British and American newborns in nearly two decades, using national data from 2000 to 2018.

Armani took the crown with nearly 7,000 US parents opting for the Giorgio Armani namesake for their daughter during that time frame.

It was followed by commonly known brands such as Chanel, Dior, Nivea, Maybelline, Estee, Dove, Omega, Valentino and Cartier.

For baby boys, Armani also came in first with more than 8,000 babies bestowed with the moniker.

Other popular titles included Salvatore, Valentino, Kenzo, Cartier, Monolo, Dior, Omega, Yves and Klein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 1, 2023 4:19 AM

Didn't Toni Braxton named one of her kids Diezel?

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2023 5:45 PM

And. Kyle Richards named her youngest Porsche.

I think it's trashy but up to them.

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2023 5:50 PM

Hopefully that kid grows into his looks.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2023 5:54 PM

^ thoughts and prayers

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote]And. Kyle Richards named her youngest Porsche.

Her kid’s name is Portia which is a common name and was even used by Shakespeare. She didn’t name her kid after a car. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2023 6:15 PM

Portia de Rossi's real name is Amanda Lee Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2023 6:19 PM

Bullgary

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2023 6:20 PM

[quote]Portia de Rossi's real name is Amanda Lee Rogers.

She legally changed it in a court so now Portia IS her real name.

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2023 6:29 PM

Any Goops?

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2023 6:34 PM

The baby looks like JayZ. How unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2023 6:47 PM

I came here to say exactly that, r10!

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2023 6:47 PM

These are not intelligent people.

by Anonymousreply 12May 26, 2023 6:49 PM

I know a girl who went by "Porsche." She told me once she hit 21 she was going to change the legal spelling to "Portia" but not tell her parents.

by Anonymousreply 13May 26, 2023 6:50 PM

That’s it. Keep naming your offspring with offbeat spellings and creative names and the like. It makes the super easy for their future stalkers to Google. It’s a lot easier to find Tifini in Atlanta than Tiffany in Atlanta when creeping on Facebook.

Fucking morons.

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2023 6:52 PM

R14, any parent who gives their kids these stupid names couldn't care less about their future.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2023 6:54 PM

Oh, a baby at 17. Hopefully she was able to schedule her breastfeeding around giving her valedictorian speech at graduation.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2023 6:57 PM

R5, I stand corrected...didn't know that. So, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2023 7:00 PM

[quote]Her kid’s name is Portia which is a common name and was even used by Shakespeare. She didn’t name her kid after a car. 🙄

I'm sure she had Shakespeare in mind when she named her kid!

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2023 7:04 PM

I hate to say this about a baby but that kid is fug.

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2023 7:16 PM

A ratchet diva 17 YO mother with 866k followers.

It really is end times.

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2023 7:24 PM

Having a baby before getting your braces off.

Great idea.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2023 1:39 AM

Product placement ... for life.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2023 2:06 AM

Sorry, but that buggy-eyed, homely little baby should've been brand-named "Raid"!

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2023 2:55 AM

[quote]any parent who gives their kids these stupid names couldn't care less about their future.

So glad I'll be dead around the time we start getting "Supreme Court Justice Cinnymyn Carter" and "President Robbynne Smith."

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2023 3:16 AM

What this young generation doesn't realize is that these 'cute babies' with the 'cute names' will grow up to be adults some day. WTF are they thinking ?

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2023 1:46 PM

R25 they don't think unless their social media account clicks tells them to think. Thank god I'm a solid Gen Xer and on the back half of my life.

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2023 6:36 PM

r2 thinks the London Underground is a political movement.

by Anonymousreply 27May 28, 2023 5:14 AM

I can't even imagine the level of stupidity involved with under-26 year old Gen Z parents.

by Anonymousreply 28May 28, 2023 5:19 AM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking of that scene, R27!

by Anonymousreply 29May 28, 2023 8:25 AM

I see fetal alcohol syndrome in the kid...

by Anonymousreply 30May 28, 2023 8:33 AM

If you're going to name your kid quirky phonetic spellings of designer brands, can it at least be the correct phoneticisms?

She should've gone for "Cardie A" in this case, for double the cultural reach.

by Anonymousreply 31May 28, 2023 8:59 AM

This isn't new at all. Among the chavdom, naming children after luxury brands, celebrities and soap opera characters has always been fairly common. I have come across several women named Chanel/Channelle/Shannel, a Nikee and many a Kylie. Giving children bizarre names has always been customary for the underclass.

I mean, just read the article below; the Victorian working class wasn't averse to giving insane names to their offspring: Friendless, Leicerter Railway, One Too Many, Zebra, Yetty or Allien were probably the 19th Century's versions of Kartiyr, Dior and Armani.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2023 9:59 AM

Yeah I mean this has been going on for like twenty years. First strippers started doing it for their stage names, then poor trash started doing it to their children, and now it’s middle class.

by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2023 10:51 AM

R33 It is not now middle class, nor will it ever be middle class.

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2023 1:35 PM

LOL, R2. It’s Portia. Never studied Shakespeare?

by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2023 11:43 PM

No mention of Tiffany and Barron Trump?

by Anonymousreply 36May 29, 2023 12:02 AM

[quote] “They b naming kids after items they wish for,” quipped someone else."

This was a reactor, but I see it all the time. They can't even speak properly. They shouldn't be having children.

by Anonymousreply 37May 29, 2023 1:13 AM

This thread made me think about this guy I used to fuck 20 years ago who had the Chanel interlocking C's tattooed on his forearm...he was a good bottom boy.

by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2023 5:07 AM

Like Lexus Berry?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 1, 2023 4:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!